Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 VW Variant.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Consider it done...

Fratello wrote: »
    Are those hubcaps hard to find? They seem to be the type with the raised centre.

Hard to find in good condition. New old stock would be expensive.

And new repro caps would be crap,

But I might have some;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

is it just my imagination but is it what you would imagine a 911 estate from that era would look like. assuming one were to be made. it is the headlights and bonnet that are making me think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

How will you get rid of rust.

Sandblasting. ?

Jeff2 wrote: »
    How will you get rid of rust.

Sandblasting. ?

What rust??

You must be confusing this with some other car

• Advertisement

On the surface rust issue.

Thats easily dealt with by a number of methods. Chemical stripping, mechanical stripping

or blasting. Not sandblasting, it does too much damage. Media blasting.

I made a few preliminary enquiries on the media blasting. I was quoted 100 euro a panel.

2 doors , 2 boot lids, 4 wings. 800 euro total. Media blast machine is 1800 euro. I dont know what the hire

rate would be. DIY option is DA sander and the appropriate discs for all the panels. I have plenty of time,

as I am basically forcibly retired. Who wants to employ me at 65 years of age. Nobody only the missus,

and the wages are miserable:D:D

and she is a tough boss to work for :eek::P:P

Before i get stuck into the variant in a big way, I have some small issues with my own fastback.

So I need to clear the decks on that first. I dont really want 2 cars on the go at the same time.

My drivers door on the fastback basically had no bottom rail, it was completely rusted out.

So these not being available, I had to make a new one. At the time the body was not completed , so I had to make and fit this on the
    fly , so to speak.

Consequently the bottom corner of the door flicks out for about 10 mm, about 200m horizontally along the bottom rail.

Solution is to partially cut the new bottom rail, realign, and re weld.

As it is a type 3 as well, if you want me to post details and pics , I can. Or leave this thread to 67 Variant.

Your call chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've had good success with bilthamber detox gel. You apply the gel and let it do it's thing, I used to cover with cling film to prevent it from drying out over a few days. Rinse off to reveal nice shiny fresh metal.

A tub of it is 20e or less and covers quite a bit. I did typically run a wire wheel over the surface rust first to lift most of it and then apply the gel.

Great thread, was following the other thread and now this one. Fantastic to see it's in good hands and phenomenal pace! I wish I had the dedication and drive like you to finish my own resto (E30 BMW).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm a daily lurker - amazing work by all involved.

On the threads it is ultimately your call Kadman, however I would love to see separate threads so I don't get confused as to what work is being done on which car

• Registered Users Posts: 34 murfman53

kadman wrote: »
    Just got a heads up from an observant viewer to the last vid, that the left brakelight does in fact work:D

Now that John spotted that, he can fix the one that does not work:P

At One and Sixpence................. you'll have to do better than that.

And remember, I can only do the job on a Saturday afternoon......... Double Bubble, Tax free, Cash in hand. (Luvly Jubbly).
    John.

• Advertisement

jozi wrote: »
    I've had good success with bilthamber detox gel. You apply the gel and let it do it's thing, I used to cover with cling film to prevent it from drying out over a few days. Rinse off to reveal nice shiny fresh metal.

A tub of it is 20e or less and covers quite a bit. I did typically run a wire wheel over the surface rust first to lift most of it and then apply the gel.

Great thread, was following the other thread and now this one. Fantastic to see it's in good hands and phenomenal pace! I wish I had the dedication and drive like you to finish my own resto (E30 BMW).

Bilthamber has great reviews alright, but I have never used it.
    For rust treatment I have used Vertan, Vactan and jenolite.

I found the jenolite has the same qualities as bilthamber. I too wire wheel off the loose rust, and then jenolite gel on the rust. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Not so much dedication, but loads and loads of time at my disposal:)

murfman53 wrote: »
    At One and Sixpence................. you'll have to do better than that.

And remember, I can only do the job on a Saturday afternoon......... Double Bubble, Tax free, Cash in hand. (Luvly Jubbly).
    John.

If you shape up and punch in the hours, you might get 2 bob:D

There is already a thread covering some work I have done on the Fastback,

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112241451

Perhaps I should keep putting any more white fastback pics there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

I think keep it all here, easier to follow if its in one post
    Great work by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Tow

Perhaps I should keep putting any more white fastback pics there.:)

With a few more VW repair videos you will be able to rival Mustie1: https://www.youtube.com/c/mustie1/playlists ;)

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    With a few more VW repair videos you will be able to rival Mustie1: https://www.youtube.com/c/mustie1/playlists ;)

Yeah....he got lessons from me....:P:P:P:P:P

Bilthamber has great reviews alright, but I have never used it.
    For rust treatment I have used Vertan, Vactan and jenolite.

I found the jenolite has the same qualities as bilthamber. I too wire wheel off the loose rust, and then jenolite gel on the rust. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Not so much dedication, but loads and loads of time at my disposal:)

That sounds like it's similar. It's been years since I looked into the various options when I went with bilthamber gel.

I never liked the idea of those rust converters which leave the converted rust on the panel. To me it seems like there's potential for it not to penetrate enough and leave rust. I like how the rust dissolves and washed away with bilthamber.

That sounds like it's similar. It's been years since I looked into the various options when I went with bilthamber gel.

I never liked the idea of those rust converters which leave the converted rust on the panel. To me it seems like there's potential for it not to penetrate enough and leave rust. I like how the rust dissolves and washed away with bilthamber.

I agree, the only way to deal with rust, is chemically remove it down to shiny metal. Or cut it out and replace with shiny new metal.:)

Is bilthamber available nation wide?

I must get some, and compare it to Jenolite

I spent the day on repairing the door of my white fastback. It was rotten on the bottom
    part of the door, both the door skin and door frame bottom.
    Beetle door bottoms are readily available, but type 3 are not.

Only hope is a good door which is also rare, or a bottom cut from a good door.
    Or make your own door bottom, which is what I did, and welded it on, when
    I was doing repairs on the fly, and it did not work well. The door corner ws flicking out.

So I had to make vertical door pattern templates, and bottom templates from the good passenger door.
    So I had something to work to. I was then able to discover that I had to take a 15mm wedge cut out
    of the bottom face of the new panel I made, and reweld it to suit.

Here are the template pictures,

Dzb53Xz.jpg

eiSQcox.jpg

Here you can see the bottom flicked out

n1Jsx8G.jpg

And existing weld that has to be cut, spaced and rewelded,

FKvoLrz.jpg

And the cut

95CpBHx.jpg

Moved in and rewelded

xOYUoaU.jpg

Here is when it was tacked, and you can see how far in the bottom left hand edge is.
    This is why a wedge needs to be cut, to allow this edge go back towards the door panel

5UHWbDV.jpg

Here is the door bottom marked for the cut,

sxtpPdt.jpg

Cut done

vp9Cblp.jpg

Bottom now repositioned , welded and ground,

s7LYN1k.jpg

Just have to infil corners ect.
    Glad this is done.

• Advertisement

Is bilthamber available nation wide?

I must get some, and compare it to Jenolite

I see it available from some detailing shops but I can't recommend any from personal experience. Opieoils do it, I've ordered from the bolt hamber sure to but that's many years ago.

I see it available from some detailing shops but I can't recommend any from personal experience. Opieoils do it, I've ordered from the bolt hamber sure to but that's many years ago.

This is jenolite after 3 minutes 1/2 spoonful and tooth brush.

-Hs2BmlT.jpg

This is it after 10 minutes and wipe off with scotchbrite pad.

jSX0KhF.jpg

fkLwzCT.jpg

After 12 hours with the jenolite, we have this,

2tgTup1.jpg

And a drop of water and scotchbrite, and we have this now,

oOXAlLj.jpg

Not too bad, but any pin craters will have to be properly cleaned,

possibly a wire fine brush, but I can experiment with that when we get that far.

Media blasting the panels would do it, but I would still have the same hurdle with

the roof, as I wont be entirely stripping the shell.

Small problem, that will be solved fear not:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Reflect have a limited range of it, have bought from them often and find them great to deal with.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/index.php?route=product/search&search=bilt

Tow and restore have more on their website but I've never used them.

Bought BH UB from Opieoils recently and it arrived to ParcelMotel very quickly. Went for the brush on this time and it goes further than the aerosol !

No connection to any of the above apart from a satisfied customer of 2 of them !

This is the corner of the white fastback door that I am working on today.

HCkpYjc.jpg

And the bottom corner,

62pFR3o.jpg

And the cardboard template for the corner

hAWStLl.jpg

And these are the tools for hammer forming the little infil piece,

XVbH8UD.jpg

Test fit for infill piece

F9JTlKI.jpg

Welded in and ground down,

X6UiR9V.jpg

DyaI1GU.jpg

Now onto the next corner, and all the other little bits and bobs on this door.

To the hinge area of the same door now.

Here you can see a large repair thats needed.

PRVbRD3.jpg

Here you can see in better details the large amount of filler thats been
    shoved in here.

E7lYp8V.jpg

Look carefully here and you can see a ball of masking tape shoved into the
    hole to support the filler.Horrible repair

0MW4xx8.jpg

Same procedure for this type of repair. Cardboard template to get a rough size
    of the repair metal needed.

Q8bvaQ8.jpg

Rough shape of the required piece needed.

5Tcf1vf.jpg

And piece formed, just needs welding in. This will be a 2 piece repair here.

Hammer formed inner piece.

FwbFGuv.jpg

Complete repair will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks for checking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

That's some metalwork, Kadman. Fair play to you. I hate rust repair. It's really time consuming and requires a good deal of patience, something I lack quiet regularly.

That's some metalwork, Kadman. Fair play to you. I hate rust repair. It's really time consuming and requires a good deal of patience, something I lack quiet regularly.

Small bits are very awkward alright. But it has to be done, as good doors are hard to get for these type 3's. So some sort of repair is needed.

This door in particular is in a rough state, and its been well patched up with filler and masking tape. And this probably takes longer than a fabbing a bit of metal.

It will be strong and respectable looking when I am done, and thats as much as i can get from this door.

The 67 Squareback door is in great order in comparison to the white one. They need a small bit of work, but nothing like whats going on here.

But I'll keep tipping away, until the jobs done.:)

I managed to find a good source for car body resto products.

And he seems to stock a all the Eastwood products as seen on youtube.

I bought a gallon of top industrial standard stripper for the variant. This might be an option
    instead of 100 euro a panel to media blast it.Probably take a few gallon too.

So I will check that out over the next couple of weeks, and see how that fairs out.

• Advertisement

Moving on with the white fastback door repair before I get stuck in to the 67 Variant.

More nasty filler, where there should have been metal,here is a lorry load of it

AnQbR6q.jpg

Second filler piece

6Wq8oD0.jpg

Filler piece tacked in.

Bx9uwfG.jpg

Advertisement