Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 VW Variant.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

davycha wrote: »
    Well done ,Kadman and your brother :),
    Delighted to see this car back running and moving about on its own steam.
    Great Thread , keep up the good work.

davycha

Air cooled so no steam.

Great to see it running though. They are a great engine - good old Ferdinand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

Dont forget Hans Ledwinka either though.

Rear lights don't seem to be working. Instant NCT fail :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Tow

Good thing it is exempt ;-)

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    Good thing it is exempt ;-)

I know I know. Just a terrible joke :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

We got a 53 yearold non runner driving in a day or two.

how long do you think the brake lights will take:P:P:P:P:P:P

kadman wrote: »
    We got a 53 yearold non runner driving in a day or two.

how long do you think the brake lights will take:P:P:P:P:P:P

At the rate this is going it could be by the weekend :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@ Kadman

Is the VW Sqareback a 6 volt or 12 volt electrics?

The Beetle changed to 12 volts about 1972. (I think).

Beetle changed to 12 volt far earlier than 72. I think it was 67-68
    if memory serves me well. But open to correction on that.

The Variant ( marketed as the squareback in the US) that we have here is from the production year
    August 66, so is in essence a 67 car.

And it is 12 volt electronics, with a dynamo and regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Don't even have a driving license but have a massive urge to buy an old car to tinker round on. Normally scratch that itch restoring bicycles but I don't think that will cut it anymore!

Great stuff.

• Advertisement

Beetle changed to 12 volt far earlier than 72. I think it was 67-68
    if memory serves me well. But open to correction on that.

The Variant ( marketed as the squareback in the US) that we have here is from the production year
    August 66, so is in essence a 67 car.

And it is 12 volt electronics, with a dynamo and regulator.

The last 6v Beetle was 1972, but they started with 12 v about 1966. The 12 v Beetle had the larger rear lights which was from 1972.

Now I may be wrong, but I cannot find definite info.

The last 6v Beetle was 1972, but they started with 12 v about 1966. The 12 v Beetle had the larger rear lights which was from 1972.

Now I may be wrong, but I cannot find definite info.

They rolled out 12v in 66-67. But there was a reluctance from dealers that had large stocks of 6v parts apparently to switch straight away.
    they
    I believe in europe they kept using 6v until 72.
    I've owned and driven many vw 's. Beetles and variants and fastbacks from
    1963 all the way up to 76. And the only 6v I recall were
    63 beetle, 65 Fastback, 55 oval, and burnt out the harness of a 67 1300 12 v beetle
    when I let a spanner fall across the fusebox at lunchtime at work, and never spotted it until 5.30 that evening.

But myself John and my dad stripped the harness from another beetle, and re wired it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭Jeff2

They rolled out 12v in 66-67. But there was a reluctance from dealers that had large stocks of 6v parts apparently to switch straight away.
    they
    63 beetle, 65 Fastback, 55 oval, and burnt out the harness of a 67 1300 12 v beetle
    when I let a spanner fall across the fusebox at lunchtime at work, and never spotted it until 5.30 that evening.

But myself John and my dad stripped the harness from another beetle, and re wired it

Lucky there wasn't a fire.

Great stuff so far, it is great to follow.

they

It is just I remember being told that the Beetle 1300 (it might have been the 1302) with the big rear lights was the first major redesign of the Beetle that introduced 12 volts. I think disc brakes may have featured as well.

Now other models like the Variant might have had 12 volts much sooner.

Good luck, and watch your spanners - 12 volts will fry the harness quicker than 6 volts.

I think you have done an incredible job to get as far as you have in such a short time. The bodge on the carburettor was a probable cause of it being parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Lucky there wasn't a fire.

Great stuff so far, it is great to follow.

I remember that my father always disconnected the battery when he was leaving a car in the garage overnight for fear of fire.

Many tools, including spanners were returned to him by customers who found them in various locations and recognised them from his initials on them.

It is just I remember being told that the Beetle 1300 (it might have been the 1302) with the big rear lights was the first major redesign of the Beetle that introduced 12 volts. I think disc brakes may have featured as well.

Now other models like the Variant might have had 12 volts much sooner.

Good luck, and watch your spanners - 12 volts will fry the harness quicker than 6 volts.

I think you have done an incredible job to get as far as you have in such a short time. The bodge on the carburettor was a probable cause of it being parked up.

I wouldn't call the attempt at a fix on the carb as a bodge. Whoever did it had noticed a flooding issue on the carb. And he tried to raise the float arm to hit the needle valve to shut off earlier. He diagnosed the issue and a possible fix. Fair dues on an unknown VW engine design relative to beetles at the time.

THis would have worked no problem, but where he slipped up was not fitting the spring clip on the float arm. This allowed the back end of the float to rise up. If the clip was fitted, then there would be no flooding, and I would not have stripped it.

And in fairness to the chap that maintained this car, I suspect alfa's dad, every nut I have removed, bar none has been correctly tightened, and not a single overtightened one among them all so far.
    This tells me that the mechanic did not have to rely on brute force just in case. he was confident with mechanics I'd say.:)

Its a far cry from" give it a bit more just to be sure":D:D

wildwillow wrote: »
    I remember that my father always disconnected the battery when he was leaving a car in the garage overnight for fear of fire.

Many tools, including spanners were returned to him by customers who found them in various locations and recognised them from his initials on them.
    +

I was fitting a radio into my beetle at the time during a lunchbreak.

And the boss screaming at me, and me being a young chippy on site, I slammed the bonnet, and got back to work.

Never knew until later. After that if a boss shouted at me, I'd tell him to f.....k off:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Update.
    I managed to get the car driving out of the shed. And I wanted it moving, to check all gears, which you can see me trying in the vid.

Its all good, gearstick selector plate needs a small bit of adjusting thats all..

So we are getting nearer to liftoff.:)

Well done!! Fantastic work kadman!

wildwillow wrote: »

Another nice source of a beetle fire was to forget to replace the battery + terminal plastic protector then seat a few hefty people in the back so as that the seat springs contacted the terminal, first direct seat heating by VW!.

John.G wrote: »
    Another nice source of a beetle fire was to forget to replace the battery + terminal plastic protector then seat a few hefty people in the back so as that the seat springs contacted the terminal, first direct seat heating by VW!.

True. Its very rare that the plastic battery cover survives, but in this Variants case its there and like new. So there will be no fried arses in the making of these videos:D

• Advertisement

Back by popular request,
    53 year old barn find...with sound, and lots of it:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that is such a cool looking car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Better turning radius than my 2011 Auris

Is the VW Sqareback a 6 volt or 12 volt electrics?

The type 3 got 12V as standard for the 1967 model year. 12V was available as an option prior to 1967.

It's in this book:
    https://books.google.ie/books/about/Volkswagen_Type_3.html?id=ArkJDgAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

John.G wrote: »

That nearly happened with my parents Beetle many many years before I was born so I've been told. There was smoke but no fire and it was just my sister (the eldest) who was a toddler at the time sitting in the back. Don't think she was a hefty kid. The money wasn't there to get to that stage at the time :pac:

I remember my dad telling me about having to put cement blocks in the boot (front) because the Beetle would be doing wheelies because if its terrible weight distribution

VW recommended you placed them in a suitcase first for easier handling. (Health&Safety)
    You also didn't need a petrol gauge as you had a 5 litre reserve when you turned over the fuel tap on running out of juice and to protect your hush puppies... a wheel type accelerator, what more could you ask for??.

Jaysus! What a bizarre set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That yard is immaculate. I'd have sh1t piled everywhere if my missus didn't batter me once every few weeks.

Well now that the variant has landed...missus thinks theres more **** in the Yard

But sons girlfriend thinks its dead cool:cool::cool:

• Advertisement

I spotted something strange on the variant that I have never seen on any other Vw
    we had.

Its at the base of the A post on both doors. I thought at first it was something to do with
    door alignment or sagging. Then I thought maybe a contact for an alarm.

Its very solid and not flexible or spring loaded . So i am lost on this at the moment.

VcHf6N0.jpg

KmnvdRm.jpg

It definitely appears to be a VW fitment and not an add on.
    I must check out options
    on vehicles.

Advertisement