Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020 - British Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

quokula wrote: »
    Nothing is known. Lots of rumours.

There are also rumours that the team were unhappy with him for not taking proper precautions and getting Covid.

As things stand right now though, Perez still has a contract with RP for next year and officially he will still be racing for them.

Re Covid precautions, that's the kind of thing they might say if they were trying build a case to get rid of him. I doubt it would have made any difference to the team's opinion of him if they weren't trying to build a case to get rid of him.

Perez being under contract for next year means they probably need to pay him for next year and then pay Vettel's wages. Vettel must be commanding less than at the height of his Ferrari prospects but still more than a driver like Perez. Very costly for a driver on the way down.

What is Aston Martin's colour scheme?

Edit. AM's colour scheme seems to be light green, dark green and yellow. They could make a lovely looking f1 car from those colours

• Registered Users Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gutierrez is staying in Silverstone. Juncadella has got the Merc reserve gig for Formula E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gutierrez is staying in Silverstone. Juncadella has got the Merc reserve gig for Formula E.

Esteban is also the reserve driver for Mercedes.

Perez has been very clear that he followed all protocols.

No case against him considering Leclerc and his misjudged selfies from Monaco.

Perez always has the option of bringing his case to the contracts resolution board as everything seems to point to him having an unbreakable contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Infoanon wrote: »
    Esteban is also the reserve driver for Mercedes.

Perez has been very clear that he followed all protocols.

No case against him considering Leclerc and his misjudged selfies from Monaco.

Perez always has the option of bringing his case to the contracts resolution board as everything seems to point to him having an unbreakable contract.

It's been suggested now that Perez went to Mexico to try and secure additional funding from sponsors so RP can drop BWT to go with an Aston Martin colour scheme next year.

BWT may switch their sponsorship elsewhere so. Williams maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kvyat's rear tire completely failed. He's lucky he wasn't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

How did it take them so long to show that angle for Kvyat? Brundle knew it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,626 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

tigerboon wrote: »
    I'm not a Hamilton fan but I don't hate him either. The simple fact is he's a great driver and is in the dominant car because he earned his place there.
    The problem isn't with Hamilton, or even Mercedes, but with F1 not attracting big name manufacturers. The biggest motor company in the world right now is Tesla. Are they remotely interested in F1? What about VW, they invest big time in motorsport and have a lot of good drivers on their books. Reality is that Mercedes are really the only main manufacturer willing to invest big in F1 for whatever reason and they're not even racing their commercial competitors.

Renault are there too or did you forget that?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It's been suggested now that Perez went to Mexico to try and secure additional funding from sponsors so RP can drop BWT to go with an Aston Martin colour scheme next year.

Or Haas or Renault or Mclaren or maybe even Alfa Romeo. Whomever offers them the best deal I would say.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

recyclebin wrote: »
    How did it take them so long to show that angle for Kvyat? Brundle knew it straight away.

As did Mark Webber on C4 - literally the second it twitched Webber said 'failure'

Crofty and his take on Albons clash was enough to make me switch over !

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

AMKC wrote: »
    Renault are there too or did you forget that?

No, I didn't forget them.

• Advertisement

Or Haas or Renault or Mclaren or maybe even Alfa Romeo. Whomever offers them the best deal I would say.

HAAS, Renault and mclaren are all other companies who advertise through F1. Their brand is the main one they want to advertise, not BWT. Williams sold the engineering business so it's just a racing Company at the moment. I'd say they'd happily take the money.

But ultimately, money talks in the sport so anything happen if BWT wants to spend hhe money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It was a Tyre failure for Kvyat. Brundle called it perfectly.

rhetpf74tte51.jpg

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Perez was visiting his mother who had an accident - that's from Sergio.
    RP don't need sponsorship to survive unlike other teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

David Croft (I refuse to call him by his alias) is terrible. After 8 years on Sky a change is needed. Brundle is perfectly fine where he is, in fact most of the Sky F1 team needs clearing. Bring back Georgie Thompson as well please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Largely uninteresting race, with lots of stoppages, only for the last few laps to provide tonnes of drama.

Wasn't quite Damon Hill in the Arrows in Hungary in 1997, but Hamilton would have been getting quite worried at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pirelli and F1 have confirmed they are going with the softer tyres for this weekends race - the C2, C3 AND C4 compounds. Pirelli said their initial analysis is that the long tyre stint coupled with the high speed nature of the cars and the circuit saw the biggest forces ever seen on an F1 tyre which ultimately led to the failures.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.long-final-stint-and-biggest-forces-ever-seen-on-tyres-led-to-failures-in.6v9aY8QUAp72Bt5AVmg1hE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Glad that they arent changing from the 1 step softer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Glad that they arent changing from the 1 step softer

Don't think it changes things much, will be a 2 stopper for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would the race have been a comfortable 2 stop going soft medium medium this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Would the race have been a comfortable 2 stop going soft medium medium this weekend?

All the frontrunners started on Mediums, so they would have had to have gone Medium then Soft or Hard.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    All the frontrunners started on Mediums, so they would have had to have gone Medium then Soft or Hard.

Yeah I wonder if they could have made it on soft, medium, medium given they'll need to reduce the stress on tyres this weekend. But they probably would have made it on that strategy.

I doubt anyone will want to start on the softs this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    First full race I've seen for quite a while. Usually highlights. Was an okay race. Why such hate for Hamilton? Schumacher had a dominant car for years, no one came close to challenging him.
    Vettel's heart is gone, Max is a future multiple Champ. Lewis will win 8, maybe 9 championships, and pass the 100 wins.

There was hate for Schumacher too. Happens all the time in sport when 1 person is dominant without a rival which is why years like Senna/Prost will always be seen as the golden years. Check out the cycling forums and you'll see the same for Sky and for Armstrong also the best thing ever happened Roger Federer was Rafa Nadal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    First full race I've seen for quite a while. Usually highlights. Was an okay race. Why such hate for Hamilton? Schumacher had a dominant car for years, no one came close to challenging him.
    Vettel's heart is gone, Max is a future multiple Champ. Lewis will win 8, maybe 9 championships, and pass the 100 wins.

He really didn't.

1997 and 1998 he fought for the title in clearly inferior machinery against a Newy inspired designed Williams and a Newy designed and Merc powered McLaren. Took both championships to the wire.

1999 was a write off obviously.

2000 the car was about the same as McLaren and won (finally), again the championship went to the wire.

2001 he was dominant, but we still have 3 different teams win in a season and 4 different drivers.

You could argue that 2002 was his first real dominant season, I will give you that.

2003 was again to the wire where 3 different drivers could have won it.

2004 was his real dominant season, no one could touch him or Ferrari for that matter. My favourite story of this is that the car even surprised Ferrari with how quick it was. They thought the car was underweight so they took it apart, ran back-to-to back tests etc to confirm. They were still convinced that there was something wrong.

Great video on it here:

I will sum up that my defensiveness with the Schumacher and Hamilton debate is the set up of it all. Schumacher joined a Ferrari team completely at sea, and within year had them winning again and then a year later battling for championships. He brought in different personnel and had incremental improvements over the 11 seasons he was there, it was more of a long term project that built up over time.

Hamilton joined a Mercedes team that were ready and waiting for the 2014 season (they lobbied very hard for the current PU's we have in F1) they have also poured in trucks of cash for it, because it gives them a huge return on their market value for the parent company. Granted, he still has to drive the car which he does incredibly, but as some have pointed out, with a car like that as good as it is it would be hard for him not to be doing what he is.

He hasn't been in a close title fight since Rosberg headed off into the distance after his one. Bottas can't hold a candle to Hamilton and the Merc car with his development is lightyears ahead of the nearest one. It says a lot about the car when you can drive most of a lap with 3 wheels and still win.

He will get all of the records this year and the next with very little in terms of a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Gintonious wrote: »
    He really didn't.

1997 and 1998 he fought for the title in clearly inferior machinery against a Newy inspired designed Williams and a Newy designed and Merc powered McLaren. Took both championships to the wire.

2000 the car was about the same as McLaren and won (finally), again the championship went to the wire.

2001 he was dominant, but we still have 3 different teams win in a season and 4 different drivers.

You could argue that 2002 was his first real dominant season, I will give you that.

2004 was his real dominant season, no one could touch him or Ferrari for that matter. My favourite story of this is that the car even surprised Ferrari with how quick it was. They thought the car was underweight so they took it apart, ran back-to-to back tests etc to confirm. They were still convinced that there was something wrong.

Great video on it here:

I will sum up that my defensiveness with the Schumacher and Hamilton debate is the set up of it all. Schumacher joined a Ferrari team completely at sea, and within year had them winning again and then a year later battling for championships. He brought in different personnel and had incremental improvements over the 11 seasons he was there, it was more of a long term project that built up over time.

Hamilton joined a Mercedes team that were ready and waiting for the 2014 season (they lobbied very hard for the current PU's we have in F1) they have also poured in trucks of cash for it, because it gives them a huge return on their market value for the parent company. Granted, he still has to drive the car which he does incredibly, but as some have pointed out, with a car like that as good as it is it would be hard for him not to be doing what he is.

He hasn't been in a close title fight since Rosberg headed off into the distance after his one. Bottas can't hold a candle to Hamilton and the Merc car with his development is lightyears ahead of the nearest one. It says a lot about the car when you can drive most of a lap with 3 wheels and still win.

He will get all of the records this year and the next with very little in terms of a challenge.

agreed on all points. The lesson I take from this is that, sadly, the records mean very little now. There will have to be another measure of driver merit - car-weighted wins? Weigh each win by the performance of the car (difficult to measure I'm sure but if we have general car performance metrics they can be adopted). If Lewis is still the best it will show through, but after controlling for the pace of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

Gintonious wrote: »
    He really didn't.

Great video on it here:

Great post and yes Hamilton will get all of the records. Other factors also include the fact that the seasons are now 20 races long (well not this year for obvious reasons) and also the car reliability is far beyond what it was in the late 90s and early 00s. Schumachers engine at Suzuka in 2006 will always stick with me.

The fact remains though, Hamilton is a fast driver in a fast car. When he is in the lead that is that. As soon as I saw him stay ahead of Bottas following a slowish start on Sunday I knew it was over. And the "drama" of the last lap.... there was no drama, he was so dominant that even on 3 wheels he could bring it home. I can admire how Hamilton drives, he is utilising what he has in the best possible way. But as soon as the race is over I switch off so I dont have to listen to the interview which usually involves what a great fans we have in <insert country> and what a struggle this weekend has been for him to get this result :)

Forecast at present gives sunshine and some cloud for the three days.

Friday - full sunshine. Max temp 32
    Saturday - sunshine & clouds. Max temp 27
    Sunday - sunshine & clouds. Max temp 26

The higher the temp the more Merc struggle and drop to speeds nearer the rest of the pack. Is that correct?

jv2000 wrote: »
    ... But as soon as the race is over I switch off so I dont have to listen to the interview which usually involves what a great fans we have in <insert country> and what a struggle this weekend has been for him to get this result :)

Completely agree with that. Hamilton is a great driver and rarely makes mistakes. But you're completely right to avoid the interviews. Total PR, copy and paste jobs. I find him so Inarticulate and boring to listen to. He was describing the last lap of Silverstone, driving with a burst tyre and Max closing in rapidly and managed to be boring talking about it.

In the car he's probably a genius. Out of the car he's a bore and a dope and saddest of all, a try-hard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It is sooo hard to judge how good Hamilton, Bottas, and Mercedes really are.

With the amount they have in hand they can always take ridiculously conservative engine setups. They can probably run more aero if they want to without being worried about top speed hit. In practice, they can do more experimental setups because they don't need to spend as much time perfectly optimizing for the race.

In short, they can be more experimental while taking fewer risks. It is an amazingly luxurious position. The rich get richer.

It's like when a dominant sports team are so much better than everyone else they can rotate their squad and keep their players rested making them even better still.

Ms

I think Hdmilton winning on the 3wheels is so overrated as it was only one lap at most that he had to drive it like that for and the gap between him and Max was 30 seconds so he was never in any real danger of losing it unfortunatly. Now if it had of happened to Hxmilton when it happened to Bottas that would have made it very interesting and I doubt he would have finished on 3 wheels then. No doubt he probably would have been able to put and still get out in front if Bottas and Max and still win the race unfortunatly anyway. I think the biggest mistake the FIA have done this year is ban whatever it was Ferrari were doing with there engine. They should have let them keep doing it for this year and next year and then ban it from 22 on. It would have made this season and next season a hell of a lot more exciting. Who knows maybe Vertel would have been leading the Chamionship now and be giving it 120 per cent every weekend instead he just looks like someone who does not want to be there and shos heart is not in it anymore. He knows he can not beat the Mercs now as there car is just not good enough so why bother.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I think Hdmilton winning on the 3wheels is so overrated as it was only one lap at most that he had to drive it like that for and the gap between him and Max was 30 seconds so he was never in any real danger of losing it unfortunatly. Now if it had of happened to Hxmilton when it happened to Bottas that would have made it very interesting and I doubt he would have finished on 3 wheels then. No doubt he probably would have been able to put and still get out in front if Bottas and Max and still win the race unfortunatly anyway. I think the biggest mistake the FIA have done this year is ban whatever it was Ferrari were doing with there engine. They should have let them keep doing it for this year and next year and then ban it from 22 on. It would have made this season and next season a hell of a lot more exciting. Who knows maybe Vertel would have been leading the Chamionship now and be giving it 120 per cent every weekend instead he just looks like someone who does not want to be there and shos heart is not in it anymore. He knows he can not beat the Mercs now as there car is just not good enough so why bother.

Not the best post I've read on here to be honest. Let's allow the Ferrari to keep running an illegal engine just to keep the front a bit interesting? That's just a silly suggestion that I hope was made in jest.

Hamilton winning with a puncture may have been a bit more enthusiastic than if it was anyone else, a fair bit of British media bias will do that, but it made the end a bit more exciting because he was leading the race on the last lap with a charging Max on fresh tyres behind him. Amounted to nothing but woke me up from the rest of the race at least.

Advertisement