Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone doing the Scottish premiership FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

When do we start next season?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Big Borg wrote: »
    When do we start next season?

Season starts 12th sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

Quick turnaround. Short training period for new transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

When can we start picking a new squad .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭nullObjects

bodking wrote: »
    When can we start picking a new squad .

I'd say a little while yet

First game last year was 9th August and the game was open the end of June
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110543047&postcount=57

That was a bit earlier than normal though.
    Just a guess but I'd say they might have to clean up some of the hacks they did to get the game working for the extra weeks as well before starting the new season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I'd say a little while yet

First game last year was 9th August and the game was open the end of June
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110543047&postcount=57

That was a bit earlier than normal though.
    Just a guess but I'd say they might have to clean up some of the hacks they did to get the game working for the extra weeks as well before starting the new season

They should have been working on new season in parallel with last season so it should be ready to go. They've had lots of time to get everything in place. I'd say it will be open within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Anyone know where I’d get a downable/printable list of player points from this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone know where I’d get a downable/printable list of player points from this season?

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/player-list

• Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Any recommendations on best resource to study expected goals

• Registered Users Posts: 32,601 ✭✭✭✭CSF

kilburn wrote: »
    Any recommendations on best resource to study expected goals

understat.com

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FPL_Junior

Has anyone got a subscription with The Athletic? Tempted to get one and wondering has it helped you with FPL

• How do you guys use the Xg data to make decisions ?

If one was just using xg alone ?

Looking at the above link is a tad mad.

So it can show, at a glance, if someone is wasteful or clinical. That’s about all I can see in it. That’s not very helpful. I don’t think.

On team data is has City as champions and 12 points ahead of Liverpool.

Chelsea just 1 point behind Liverpool in 3rd.

Newcastle relegated at the foot of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Dearg81

FPL_Junior wrote: »
    Has anyone got a subscription with The Athletic? Tempted to get one and wondering has it helped you with FPL

Yes and no. It has 1 or 2 articles directly related to fpl but the non fpl articles are more interesting and arguably of more benefit. I wouldn't subscribe though if you are just doing it for fpl, you will more than likely be disappointed.

How do you guys use the Xg data to make decisions ?

So it can show, at a glance, if someone is wasteful or clinical. That’s about all I can see in it. That’s not very helpful. I don’t think.

Like Id usually be looking for players who are running below or above the average.

So if someone was running way above average and was getting bought in I'd leave it but if you were looking for someone who is low owned and could go on a streak you might look at someone performing below.

But you'd be combing that with fixtures and what you actually think of the players actually ability like someone who is crap is below average because of that most likely

Just another tool in the belt really.

Xa goals and assists per 90 is one you can add on the drop down menu which is a good one to use

Also I prefer the xg per 90 numbers

But you should make sure players have some sort of decent sample size as players with few minutes will appear at the top

Xg points thing isnt anything really substantial, but teams goals scored and conceded can be worth a look

That's my basic way of looking at it anyways

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Yes and no. It has 1 or 2 articles directly related to fpl but the non fpl articles are more interesting and arguably of more benefit. I wouldn't subscribe though if you are just doing it for fpl, you will more than likely be disappointed.

Thanks. Yeah I didn’t want to sub just for the FPL content but more for the football content that may help me towards FPL. I heard Jay Eggersdorf used it and said it helped him.

Dearg81 wrote: »

Thanks. Yeah I didn’t want to sub just for the FPL content but more for the football content that may help me towards FPL. I heard Jay Eggersdorf used it and said it helped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I'd recommend it more for the general articles than fpl, there's plenty enough advice out there for free like on here. I think I paid 30 quid for a year which was great value :)

One of the lads who writes fpl content for the Athletic used to be a regular on here.

• Like Id usually be looking for players who are running below or above the average.

So if someone was running way above average and was getting bought in I'd leave it but if you were looking for someone who is low owned and could go on a streak you might look at someone performing below.

But you'd be combing that with fixtures and what you actually think of the players actually ability like someone who is crap is below average because of that most likely

Just another tool in the belt really.

Xa goals and assists per 90 is one you can add on the drop down menu which is a good one to use

Also I prefer the xg per 90 numbers

But you should make sure players have some sort of decent sample size as players with few minutes will appear at the top

Xg points thing isnt anything really substantial, but teams goals scored and conceded can be worth a look

That's my basic way of looking at it anyways

That’s what I thought re getting players in who are under/over achieving.

But. Did it impact you on getting in Vardy, Aubameyang or Ings who all overperformed fairly significantly ? Their xg would make me think they are clinical but not getting lots of chances.

Whereas maybe Salah and Rashford are wasting chances but at least getting them.

Now, the above happens to be true. That’s probably how we would describe those players.

I’m not sure it helps adding something else to consider in your decision making.

I wonder if shots in the box is more helpful than xg ? But again one could argue its more information that doesn’t necessarily help in decision making. I do think ALL that information would be very helpful if we couldn’t make transfers though.

• Advertisement

How do you guys use the Xg data to make decisions ?

Personally I’d be looking at what a players xG or xA is, rather than how far their actual goals and assists veer from it.

Knowing that a player is getting into positions to score goals or assist more than the others is a pretty big thing. Too much is made of being clinical or a great finisher. It exists but to nowhere near the level people would make out.

You give Benteke a chance in the 6 yard box and I’m backing him to score it ahead of Kane or De Bruyne from outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Pm me if you want a 30 day pass?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I'd recommend it more for the general articles than fpl, there's plenty enough advice out there for free like on here. I think I paid 30 quid for a year which was great value :)

One of the lads who writes fpl content for the Athletic used to be a regular on here.

Oh really that’s cool, what’s his name?

• CSF wrote: »
    Personally I’d be looking at what a players xG or xA is, rather than how far their actual goals and assists veer from it.

Knowing that a player is getting into positions to score goals or assist more than the others is a pretty big thing. Too much is made of being clinical or a great finisher. It exists but to nowhere near the level people would make out.

You give Benteke a chance in the 6 yard box and I’m backing him to score it ahead of Kane or De Bruyne from outside the box.

Again, I’m new to looking at stats and trying to understand how people use them to make better choices.

I’m not arguing for the sake of it.

Looking at the stats through your eyes I’d be thinking that owning Salah, Sterling, Rashford and Vardy (in that order) would be important.

Aubameyang, Ings, Martial and Kane wouldn’t be as attractive.

So if I want to watch less football I don’t think I can rely on those sorts of stats. I suppose people use them in conjunction with either - other stats or the eye test but then how important are they ?

We are back to using ALL the tools we can to help us make the best decisions. So it’s the old adage of too much information and less clarity. Or the woods for the trees ?

I think I’d want to use one or the other and stick with it.

I toyed with not playing this year and then thought maybe stats could be a shortcut that would allow me to still play. I’m not so sure though. It’d feel a bit random basing decisions on stats. It’d feel like having less ‘control’.

That’s what I thought re getting players in who are under/over achieving.

But. Did it impact you on getting in Vardy, Aubameyang or Ings who all overperformed fairly significantly ? Their xg would make me think they are clinical but not getting lots of chances.

Now, the above happens to be true. That’s probably how we would describe those players.

I’m not sure it helps adding something else to consider in your decision making.

I wonder if shots in the box is more helpful than xg ? But again one could argue its more information that doesn’t necessarily help in decision making. I do think ALL that information would be very helpful if we couldn’t make transfers though.

Ya I deffo balked on ings and vardy too late this season, but at the same time im like still new to fpl and do lose concentration over the season with it so maybe im not the best to answer your question on that.

Salah ive own lots this season and unfortunately didnt perform especially at the end of the season per xg.

At the very least it helps you see a broader picture, then watching a few games a week and what ever narrative motd want to show you

I would look at the shot per game or 90 stat and key passes the same depending on the player.

You kinda need to get used to them like anything and just marry up what you think makes a statistically good player.

like as a hyperbole example a player could score 5 in 5, have a high xg and just scored 5 rebounds from the goalie saving a shot, when unmarked in the box, with only 1 shot per game.

and even then the xg numbers would correlate well with the goals scored but the shot volume would show you its unsustainable.

I dont see using it would make you a worse FPL player.

a lot of this may depend on weather you are happy with outcome over performance aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Did it impact you on getting in Vardy, Aubameyang or Ings who all overperformed fairly significantly ? Their xg would make me think they are clinical but not getting lots of chances.

XG isn't a magic secret sauce, and I never use XG as a reason not to get a popular FPL player in or out (Vardy, PEA, Ings). Where I find it works well is:
    1. If a player who hasn't been a regular FPL scorer before (either new to the league or a breakout run), it's handy o check if he's just got lucky, or is actually getting chances. Indicates whether the streak is likely to continue (someone like Dacoure, Cantwell, Mount etc).
    2. If a player that isn't scoring well in real terms seems to pass your eye test and you want to confirm that it isn't just you. Antonio was the most recent example of this, was playing up top and getting chances as the season went into lockdown, XG confirmed he was unlucky, and the points followed. SO it's good if you're trying to find players outside of the norm

Again, I’m new to looking at stats and trying to understand how people use them to make better choices.

I’m not arguing for the sake of it.

Looking at the stats through your eyes I’d be thinking that owning Salah, Sterling, Rashford and Vardy (in that order) would be important.

Aubameyang, Ings, Martial and Kane wouldn’t be as attractive.

So if I want to watch less football I don’t think I can rely on those sorts of stats. I suppose people use them in conjunction with either - other stats or the eye test but then how important are they ?

We are back to using ALL the tools we can to help us make the best decisions. So it’s the old adage of too much information and less clarity. Or the woods for the trees ?

I think I’d want to use one or the other and stick with it.

I toyed with not playing this year and then thought maybe stats could be a shortcut that would allow me to still play. I’m not so sure though. It’d feel a bit random basing decisions on stats. It’d feel like having less ‘control’.

In short, no I would definitely not work off those stats alone or close to it. The eye test remains huge for decent players aswell as our ability to understand the reasons why people might outperform/underperform their stats on a particular week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Stats I find most effective are Penalty Area Entries, xG, xA, Passes into the penalty area, xS

For Fantasy Football they’re pretty much golden to make your picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

FPL_Junior wrote:

I think its great for soccer coverage, covers Germany, Italy and Spain now as well. They have FPL General writing for them for FPL, he does a weekly column for them which is basic enough I find.

They do an hour long discussion page with him and Ben Dinnery shortly before the deadline where they answer as many questions from writers as possible which is good I think and gives some decent updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ahh just spotted the FPL website is in its updating mode.

I was still to take note of league positions and manager of the months in a mini league. Is there anyway to still get that data??

Advertisement