Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Lads just looking for a bit of advice; I'm running a league and top 2 have ended up on same points. The game has them ranked 1 & 2 based on who has made fewer transfers as per the rules and 1st place has a better overall rank than 2nd place.

I do feel its a bit harsh on guy in 2nd though? Nothing was said about tied positions at the start of season. My options are to pay out 1st and 2nd as per standings, split the pot between two of them or else pay 1st full prize and top up 2nd place out of my own pocket (€30) to get him up to what he would get with a split pot?

If the person in first is sound, he might be happy to split with second?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Just go with what the site says, they've a tiebreaker decided in the rules so you apply that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

siblers wrote: »
    If the person in first is sound, he might be happy to split with second?

But he won based on the rules of the game. You cant just decide which rules to apply and which to ignore. It's extremely unlikely but maybe the guy in first was conservative with his transfers in the last few weeks for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Perhaps I undervalued Greenwood at 5.5M.

Surely if Sancho joins then he's just a complete write off if above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Trey13

I've a question for anyone who has done really well this season, (top 50k in my opinion is doing well). Over the past two seasons I've finished 400k and 800k, before that I was a solid top 50k finisher. I haven't changed tactics really, usually I build value, take hits and then steamroll towards the end of the season. Over the last two seasons, it hasn't worked out.

What tactics do people think work best to succeed with more players playing the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lads just looking for a bit of advice; I'm running a league and top 2 have ended up on same points. The game has them ranked 1 & 2 based on who has made fewer transfers as per the rules and 1st place has a better overall rank than 2nd place.

I do feel its a bit harsh on guy in 2nd though? Nothing was said about tied positions at the start of season. My options are to pay out 1st and 2nd as per standings, split the pot between two of them or else pay 1st full prize and top up 2nd place out of my own pocket (€30) to get him up to what he would get with a split pot?

Agree with what the others have said here. The lad in 1st has won this league unequivocally by the rules of the game and should be paid 1st prize.

Tough on the guy in 2nd, he's as close as you can get but he's still 2nd.

If the guy in first wants to split it that should be at his discretion

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just before lockdown my main league was very tight
    I therefore decided not to make any transfers over the closure. Guy in second did.
    This was the reason I didn't. It is in the rules.It didn't matter in the end as I won by 50 points but I was covering myself in case of a tie. I also stopped taking hits around that time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

km79 wrote: »
    Just before lockdown my main league was very tight
    I therefore decided not to make any transfers over the closure. Guy in second did.
    This was the reason I didn't. It is in the rules.It didn't matter in the end as I won by 50 points but I was covering myself in case of a tie. I also stopped taking hits around that time

The annoying thing is that I think that mess of a "unlmited transfers" all counted as a transfer - so you could be punished for tinkering.

Though it is the rules - I would talk to the lad in 1st and see what he says

Trey13 wrote: »
    I've a question for anyone who has done really well this season, (top 50k in my opinion is doing well). Over the past two seasons I've finished 400k and 800k, before that I was a solid top 50k finisher. I haven't changed tactics really, usually I build value, take hits and then steamroll towards the end of the season. Over the last two seasons, it hasn't worked out.

What tactics do people think work best to succeed with more players playing the game?

Over the last 3 seasons I've had one stellar finish (264), one stinker (190k), one very good finish (4k). I don't think my approach has been very different across the 3 seasons, so it does just show that t here is variance/luck involved and you might be on the wrong side of that. Whatever I did on season 2 it just didn't go right for me, being t he wrong side of some 50/50 decisions early on can hamstring your whole season.

However, I would say that it's in the last 3 seasons that I've really started playing the game seriously - I had a lot of solid finishes just outside the top 10k before and thought I was a serious player because I followed price changes and always remembered to do my transfers. But the last 3 seasons I've put in that extra bit which can give you an edge.

The main different things I would say I've done in these last 3 years is:

1) Used stats regularly to inform decisions (especially Xg which is a new thing)
    2) Read FF forums (here and reddit) regularly.

Combined with t his I think you need to continue to watch football. My worst seasons have always been the ones i didn't watch MOTD regularly I think - the eye test can help give context to the stats.

1) Some are skeptical of Xg but I think if you know how to read and understand it it's hugely beneficial. For example, I would say my best move this year was ditching Vardy before he went stopped scoring, and bringing in Aguero. The Xg suggested he was overperforming. Antonio (and I didn't back this move), would be another one. I tihnk some people saw him as a leftfield choice, butthose who followed xG we would have been well on the radar. It's important to look at it in the overall context (e.g. if a player is underperforming on Xg but has always done so over the past 3 seasons, then you're not going to expect an upswing), and play around with various filters etc... Understat is good for this

2) I do always think you should go your own way and make your own decisions, but forums just give you more info to make those decisions. They can help you 2nd guess some decisions. They can give you quick easy digestible stats to inform you. A recent example - I wasn't sure whether to take a hit to get in Sterling on the last day. I fancied keeping Salah away to Newcastle. Saw I quick stat on reddit that Salah had 4 league goals away all season. Suddenly the ceiling on Salah didn't seem so high so I thought a straight swap for Sterling made sense. I know I got lucky with the lineup but this still helped me make what I think was the best decision. Additionally these forums are good at bringing attention toa player not on your radar. A great example would be Lundstram this year. This is one I didn't take advantage of, but there was a Sheffield fan on Reddit who was adamant Lundstram would start centre mid and could be value at 4.0. He's a player I wouldn't have known anything about or considered.

Finally, I think being very honest with yourself, being honest on your biases and blindspots, and being aware and honest about when you've been unlucky vs when you've made a bad decision is very very important. If you're unlucky every week you're probably not being honest with yourself and not correcting mistakes. But works the other way too - my points tally early on was not good, but I was able to recognise that my team was in good shape, so didn't panic and use my wildcard. Goes without saying but taking the emotion out helps.

Then like I said, I think continuing to watch matches can add colour to all of this is still important imo.

Hope this helps, not trying to come across like I know it all, but felt compelled to respond as someone who's played this for a while but has actually got better these last 3 years despite the competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. It was quite surprised to see they had tied this morning so my initial reaction probably made it more of a complicated decision than it actually was. As I thought more about it paying out 1st and 2nd as per league table was only viable decision.

I didn't mention anything about splitting etc as I thought it would muddy water and first place mentioned after I paid out he would 100% not have expected pot to be split if roles were reversed so happy I've done right thing. Haven't heard from 2nd place yet though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Trey13 wrote: »

For what its worth

1. The game has changed a lot, wingbacks have become a lot more important, goalies a lot less so. Last year big at the back was the way to go, this year less so. Its important to spot that trend early on. I guess you have to listen to what people are doing and go with what you most like.

2. I feel like with all the extra info around we get impatient or feel that just cause everyone here has Sterling doesn't mean that the whole world does. The guys in here or that you follow on line are among the elite of the game. I used to work for a start-up and one of the things we struggled with was quantifying what success was, especially when you overachieve for a time.
    Defining success is one of the hardest things to do.
    This year I set targets for a lot of new signings. Say for example Ritchie, I got him in after the lockdown, 9 games. I planned on playing him for 6 and set him the goal of four CSs or the equivalent. He got 26 points in the first two games and then 0-1-0-2. In another season I'd have ditched him but looking at it as a whole his target was 28 points and he had gotten it.
    I found it useful for not making knee-jerk reactions
    3. What Morzadec said about blindspots, Bournemouth have been mine, along with others, I',m so glad they are gone. But I need to work on that for next season. I undervalue some players (Salah, TAA, Burnley players) and overvalue others (Alli, Arsenal, Chelsea).

Green&Red wrote: »
    For what its worth

1. The game has changed a lot, wingbacks have become a lot more important, goalies a lot less so. Last year big at the back was the way to go, this year less so. Its important to spot that trend early on. I guess you have to listen to what people are doing and go with what you most like.

2. I feel like with all the extra info around we get impatient or feel that just cause everyone here has Sterling doesn't mean that the whole world does. The guys in here or that you follow on line are among the elite of the game. I used to work for a start-up and one of the things we struggled with was quantifying what success was, especially when you overachieve for a time.
    Defining success is one of the hardest things to do.
    This year I set targets for a lot of new signings. Say for example Ritchie, I got him in after the lockdown, 9 games. I planned on playing him for 6 and set him the goal of four CSs or the equivalent. He got 26 points in the first two games and then 0-1-0-2. In another season I'd have ditched him but looking at it as a whole his target was 28 points and he had gotten it.
    I found it useful for not making knee-jerk reactions
    3. What Morzadec said about blindspots, Bournemouth have been mine, along with others, I',m so glad they are gone. But I need to work on that for next season. I undervalue some players (Salah, TAA, Burnley players) and overvalue others (Alli, Arsenal, Chelsea).

Definitely a good shout on the defenders - I still put way too much stock in the clean sheet potential of a defender and way too little in their attacking ability. Definitely had a tendancy to sometimes see defenders returning attacking points as an outlier - that's where the eye test or XG can help confirm or refute this. Same with goalkeepers - save points and the ensuing bonus seem to be the way to go. The top 4 / top 6 don't keep cleanies the way they used to. I don't think the top scoring goalkeeper when I started playing the game was ever from a mid-table team but now they tend to be.

Great advice about defining success for your player and accepting variance. Not something I do but a good way to look at it

Morzadec wrote: »
    Definitely a good shout on the defenders - I still put way too much stock in the clean sheet potential of a defender and way too little in their attacking ability. Definitely had a tendancy to sometimes see defenders returning attacking points as an outlier - that's where the eye test or XG can help confirm or refute this. Same with goalkeepers - save points and the ensuing bonus seem to be the way to go. The top 4 / top 6 don't keep cleanies the way they used to. I don't think the top scoring goalkeeper when I started playing the game was ever from a mid-table team but now they tend to be.

Great advice about defining success for your player and accepting variance. Not something I do but a good way to look at it

With goalies I think in the last two seasons we’ve gone from a two 4.5m goalie rotation to a 4.5m/5m set and forget. Certainly I have

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Introductory article here by former winner Dan Cox on how to play the Sky fantasy football game (for anyone interested in giving it a shot next season)

https://fantasyfootballhub.co.uk/how-to-play-sky-sports-fantasy-football-an-absolute-beginners-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

manual_man wrote: »
    Introductory article here by former winner Dan Cox on how to play the Sky fantasy football game (for anyone interested in giving it a shot next season)

https://fantasyfootballhub.co.uk/how-to-play-sky-sports-fantasy-football-an-absolute-beginners-guide/

Might give that a go after at least one year out

Just want to say thanks to everyone . I’ve really enjoyed it and will miss it.
    Sadly real life is going to be very busy next 12 months and I am an in it to win it kind of guy !

Enjoy the tinkering next month !
    My transfer this week is km79 out nobody in
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Sadly real life is going to be very busy next 12 months and I am an it to win it kind of guy !

You have unlimited transfers up to the start of GW1, so plenty of time to reverse that one :P

Agree. Bruno's price is going to be stupidly high next season I think. Probably 10M+.

Surely Martial is the player to have and Greenwood will be a great enabler if his price stays the same but could see Greenwood starting at 5m or 5.5m

Martial will be a striker next season and dearer probably, rashford could be interesting as a midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Sadly real life is going to be very busy next 12 months and I am an it to win it kind of guy !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,909 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah jaysus, who is gonna respond to my constant thoughts and meanderings now? You’ll be missed around here, although I selfishly hope you reconsider.

Sadly real life is going to be very busy next 12 months and I am an in it to win it kind of guy !

Refusing to believe it

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2924b4700806d8ad3bcf2fd189141103f481df9230&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'll miss the rollercoaster of emotions you would go through in each gameweek, I think we could all relate to it.

And the conversations you would have with yourself over transfers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I hope you reconsider but I completely understand if you want to take a year out of the game as it does take a lot out of you over the 9 months (or 1 year as this season was!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Martial will be a striker next season and dearer probably, rashford could be interesting as a midfielder

I reckon there could be some big moves this year, Mane and Salah, Martial, Son could all end up as strikers next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Is there anywhere that I can find information on how they value players at the beginning of the season?

I assume just from looking at KDB's price this year that it is based on the previous years score to an extent and a rating based on the team that you play for.

Should we expect Alisson to have a bit of a price drop for next season because he missed a number of games and finished well down the rankings for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I reckon there could be some big moves this year, Mane and Salah, Martial, Son could all end up as strikers next season.

I reckon Martial will be the only one of those there that are reclassified next season.

The other three are wingers rather than a traditional striker where Martial has played all this season.

rgace wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that I can find information on how they value players at the beginning of the season?

I assume just from looking at KDB's price this year that it is based on the previous years score to an extent and a rating based on the team that you play for.

Should we expect Alisson to have a bit of a price drop for next season because he missed a number of games and finished well down the rankings for instance?
    I don’t think there is an exact science to it. Some of it is going to be based on who players performed last year, and yet I still don’t think we will be getting starting Chelsea defenders next year at 4.5 or even 5 despite Azpi being the only one you would even consider this season.

I reckon Martial will be the only one of those there that are reclassified next season.

The other three are wingers rather than a traditional striker where Martial has played all this season.

Yeah, I feel like we have this conversation every year and there’s always way less changes than predicted. Even though Rashford has played roughly the same position as Salah or Mane, I don’t really expect any of them to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone playing Scottish FPL?

I think one of the big changes next year will be the five subs rule. In the 9 games since lockdown I had two automatic subs and left 15 points on the bench. Now I’d be frugal enough about spending on my subs anyway but I think one playing sub and minimum spend will be the only way to go with these new rules.

But what will it mean for BB next year?
    Especially when you consider there may be a blank GW1.

What I’m currently thinking is that I BB GW1, no city, United or probably wolves assets and WC for when they return.

Basically no matter what you do I think the BB will purely be about getting a second keeper playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

The 5 subs isn't in place for next season yet as I understand it, it's being allowed by FIFA/Uefa but individual leagues will vote on if they want it or not I think.

While teams were concious of injury during this accelerated period of games I don't see 15 teams voting to make it a permanent change when it doesn't benefit clubs in the lower half of the league to anywhere near the same extent as the top teams

Advertisement