Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rainbowshimmer

I received an email recently encouraging me to use my voucher but when I scrolled to the end there was an option for a refund instead. This email did not go into my inbox but rather the promotions folder. It was from the marketing team at ryanair according to the email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whodini

I received an email recently encouraging me to use my voucher but when I scrolled to the end there was an option for a refund instead. This email did not go into my inbox but rather the promotions folder. It was from the marketing team at ryanair according to the email address.

I got that too, encouraging use of a voucher I had politely declined! They're gas. 😒
    Have you received anything since presumably choosing the refund option in that email?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rainbowshimmer

whodini wrote: »
    I got that too, encouraging use of a voucher I had politely declined! They're gas. 😒
    Have you received anything since presumably choosing the refund option in that email?

When you submit it a message appears on the screen saying you have been placed in a queue for a refund in lieu of the voucher. I have to say the word ‘queue’ doesn’t inspire me with much confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whodini

When you submit it a message appears on the screen saying you have been placed in a queue for a refund in lieu of the voucher. I have to say the word ‘queue’ doesn’t inspire me with much confidence.

Yes, and that's what they said back months ago on initial request for REFUND! I wish I was rich enough to boycott.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    Could I yet be shagged here?

Ryanair promised tomorrow July 31st to refund. And now just 2 days before this ......I get the money back via the AIB chargeback route.

Could Ryanair dispute this chargeback?
    (Flights were indeed fully cancelled etc and did not even happen)

Got an official letter today from AIB, very short letter, 2 paragraphs. first paragraph saying they had returned the value of the transaction.
    2nd Paragraph says:

"If the voucher is represented to us, we may need to reverse this credit from your account. If this happens, we will advise you"

What do AIB mean mean by "the voucher"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Would it mean if RA show it used?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

pc7 wrote: »
    Would it mean if RA show it used?

Yes, AIB will reverse the charge back if that happens. Ryanair have had their account debited to pay you, if yiu use the voucher it means you'd essentially be getting the cash/service twice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah that’s how I read it, fair enough too, although would serve RA right for being absolute dicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Does anyone know how long is the time limit for which you can apply for a visa debit charge back from your bank?

To thine own self be true

This seemed to work for me when I sent the second email looking for an update

customerqueries@ryanair.com

When I send them my email outlining my request for the refund (again), the below email comes back immediately to me.
    Are they even reading the emails to 'customerqueries'? Is there any other valid email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Does anyone know how long is the time limit for which you can apply for a visa debit charge back from your bank?

Limits depend on the bank.

Google chargeback debit card and your bank.
    Ulster Bank. for instance:

"If it happened within the last 4 months, we should be able to help. In some cases though we can look into older transactions."

https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/security-centre/retaildisputes/card-payment-dispute.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well Air Canada have disputed the chargeback, as I expected, and the €1,500 has been taken back again. The person in PTSB said I should get a letter next week with details, including an option to continue trying to get the money from them.

So I'm waiting for the letter, and I've also started down the last road, trying to claim on my travel insurance.

jasonb wrote: »
    Well Air Canada have disputed the chargeback, as I expected, and the €1,500 has been taken back again. The person in PTSB said I should get a letter next week with details, including an option to continue trying to get the money from them.

So I'm waiting for the letter, and I've also started down the last road, trying to claim on my travel insurance.

What's the background to the dispute of them not refunding?

What's the background to the dispute of them not refunding?

Escalate with PTSB as your card issuer if required, they cant just palm you off, if you haven't received a service paid for by card they have ti refund you under visa and mastercard International merchant rules - failing that go to the banking Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Escalate with PTSB as your card issuer if required, they cant just palm you off, if you haven't received a service paid for by card they have ti refund you under visa and mastercard International merchant rules - failing that go to the banking Ombudsman.

All of this. The bank has to comply with Mastercard/Visa rules.

And also, the bank should have advised you of the reason the retailer gives for countering the chargeback. Not just reverse it. You have a right of response. The base line is whether the service/goods have been provided or not.

Yeah, the person I was talking to on the phone from PTSB clearly didn't know a lot really, but did say there will be a letter sent that will explain everything and will have the option for me to escalate. PTSB had told me when I did the chargeback that if the supplier disputes it then the money would be taken back until it's settled.

So for the moment all I can do is wait for Tuesday and for the letter, which will hopefully explain the basis of their dispute, and I'll see what's involved in escalating it. To be honest, I'm fully expecting the basis of their dispute to be 'Covid-19' and nothing else!

Just to clarify, the flight over was cancelled, and the flight back was changed to 24 hours earlier and no longer a direct flight. Obviously the flight over wasn't provided, and the flight back wasn't as described. Any correspondence I've had with Air Canada has basically said that it's due to Covid-19 and out of their control and therefore no refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I wonder how you were meant to catch the flight back when your flight over was cancelled? You need to stress that point, as well as the time/route change of the return flight.

Yeah, not to mention that the Canadian border has been closed to non-residents since the 16th March, and was closed throughout the duration of our planned trip!

Any correspondence I've had with Air Canada has basically said that it's due to Covid-19 and out of their control and therefore no refund.

This is a fob off.

Tough **** for them that COVID exists, the bottom line is you paid for a service and did not receive it and under merchant card rules you are entitled to a refund. End of.

If PTSB as the card issuer **** you around, call and ask to speak to a manager and/or lodge a formal complaint with the bank. They have to formally acknowledge and respond within a defined time frame. Means someone will look at it properly toi not some clown you often get in a call centre.

Yep, I really do think thar Air Canada are just fobbing me off, I'm curious to see how PTSB react to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Is there any way of checking if a flight actually took off afterwards?

Was due to travel today. Aer lingus told us a few weeks back that inbound flight had changed by more than a couple hours so we might be entitled to a refund. I've applied for the refund, but not heard anything from them. Wanted to double check if the flight actually went today (Ei352 dub-muc)

Can't see it on dub airport departure or muc arrivals.

Yep, I really do think thar Air Canada are just fobbing me off, I'm curious to see how PTSB react to it!

Im having same problem with Air Transat. Utter bastards to deal with. We are playing email ping pong, back and forth , back and forth

They keep up the ''No Refund, Covid' spiel, and I email back that they are stealing my money, and that they dont even need it, because no flight, means no aircraft, no staff to work the aircraft, no food and drinks to buy, because there is no flight. So why the need to steal my money is beyond me. Im due another return email from the any day now :)

Still waiting to hear back from Revolut regarding chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Air France breaking my heart. I rebooked a cancelled June flight for September, but it keeps going to unconfirmed because of June’s refund request. I clearly told them to cancel the request, but they don’t respond to any emails or social media, and the hold times are over an hour long.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

daheff wrote: »

Was due to travel today. Aer lingus told us a few weeks back that inbound flight had changed by more than a couple hours so we might be entitled to a refund. I've applied for the refund, but not heard anything from them. Wanted to double check if the flight actually went today (Ei352 dub-muc)

Call Aer Lingus and ask for the refund over the phone, I had a flight change notification ( departure time changed to 3 hours earlier) a few weeks ago and called them up, I had the money back 3 days after the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Username you choose

Call Aer Lingus and ask for the refund over the phone, I had a flight change notification ( departure time changed to 3 hours earlier) a few weeks ago and called them up, I had the money back 3 days after the call.

I had a very similar situation, was meant to fly next week. Rang aer lingus and received my refund within 4 days. No questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭BArra

initiated charge-back against ryanair 3 months ago via revolut, whom said initially it would take 45 days, 45 days turned into 3 months and tomorrow is the new deadline as advised by revolut support - hopefully tomorrow the refund is issued

*correction - opened dispute with revolut on 20th April, so its been 104 days ongoing

daheff wrote: »

Flightradar24 in the history section?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just finished a chat as I have had no communication from them in 2 months regarding refund of 2 different sets of flights
    One from mid June - 700 euro
    One from mid July - 80 euro

I was told on chat that the refund would be with me within 7-10 working days ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

km79 wrote: »
    Just finished a chat as I have had no communication from them in 2 months regarding refund of 2 different sets of flights
    One from mid June - 700 euro
    One from mid July - 80 euro

I was told on chat that the refund would be with me within 7-10 working days ........

Ryan air? Was it Facebook chat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

US2 wrote: »
    Ryan air? Was it Facebook chat?

Sorry yeah ryanair
    No I used the email posted here the other day and that brought me to chat option with 5 minute wait time
    customerqueries@ryanair.com

Advertisement