Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

OK.

Don't know if this still counts as lost channels but seem to be doing something wrong in getting all the channels I want mapped as services and showing up in the EPG. Currently getting just the terrestrial channels.

I first got the DVB-T sorted out by removing the DVB-S tuner card and manually editing the Kippure muxes, then enabling the channels I wanted and mapping the selected channels. I then added the satellite tuner back, and tried to repeat this but neither mapping selected channels nor all channels appeared to work.

The mapping stopped right away (too quick?). However,

Configuration, DVB inputs, Networks

shows mapped services as follows

DVB-S 823
    DVB-T 22

It's so long since I last did this I can't recall the proper sequence of steps! and searching for help yields all kinds of irrelevant information. Seems I have a separate step to take in enabling the channels via

Configuration, Channel / EPG

Currently, this is only showing terrestrial channels as enabled and this is, indeed, all I've got in the EPG, but the mapped services count is 921, not 845 (sum of 823 + 22 above); not sure why. Presumably I can just enable the channels I want now but the list of available channels includes things I didn't want (because I hit map all services? /eyeroll, /bad language).

What I intended to do was

1. Scan muxes to get list of available channels
    2. Exclude encrypted channels, and others I know in advance I definitely don't want (shopping, adult etc)
    3. Map them to services
    4. Get EPG working for selected channels
    5. Disable any I subsequently decide I don't want

Correct approach?

For someone who only futzes with this reluctantly every few years this is a slightly tedious rediscovery process every time. I haven't yet encountered a straightforward step by step guide directed at setting up both terrestrial and satellite tuners with an integrated EPG; IPTV seems to be where the eyeballs are!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Haven't added a DVB-S stick to my headend Pi, so I don't know.

Thread here about integrating Saorview & FTA satellite EPGs on linux boxes:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057925678

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@PJtharsaile

The scanning of muxes on Satellite can take a very long time, particularly if only one Sat tuner is present.

You can watch progress in TVH - Status - Subscriptions

I would be inclined to set up the scan over night when nothing else is accessing the tuner.

I show some 90 muxes with 1200+ channels.

After such a scan finishes you can select the channels you want to map and they will appear on the Channel List.

From there I generate a list of all the channels I have mapped, and manually arrange that list in my preferred order in a text editor.

From then on I can use that list to auto map only those channels (having deleted the manual mapping done earlier).

From time to time the list needs editing as channels become available or are dropped or move mux.

This kind of stuff is more delt with in the HTPC section I think
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

Thanks. Yes, I realize this should now really be in HTPC.

Observation: I had a quick look at the TVheadend.org site and github and related places and didn't see anywhere I could post the updated frequencies for Kippure. (I did tell Google that it's first result for "Kippure frequencies" was useless, as it offered an opportunity to do so, and gave them the correct info. 2rn's most prominent result was also out of date)

I was unaware of the possibility of making a list of channels and editing it with a text editor. Thanks for the tip. I found this now that I know of this https://docs.tvheadend.org/Appendices/faqs/

I'm not clear on whether the resulting file is just for reference (deciding on channel nrs) or if it can be loaded back into LE. I'll revert on the HTPC section if I need help. In the first instance I just want to get selected terrestrial and satellite channels in the same EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks. Yes, I realize this should now really be in HTPC.

Observation: I had a quick look at the TVheadend.org site and github and related places and didn't see anywhere I could post the updated frequencies for Kippure. (I did tell Google that it's first result for "Kippure frequencies" was useless, as it offered an opportunity to do so, and gave them the correct info. 2rn's most prominent result was also out of date)

I was unaware of the possibility of making a list of channels and editing it with a text editor. Thanks for the tip. I found this now that I know of this https://docs.tvheadend.org/Appendices/faqs/

I'm not clear on whether the resulting file is just for reference (deciding on channel nrs) or if it can be loaded back into LE. I'll revert on the HTPC section if I need help. In the first instance I just want to get selected terrestrial and satellite channels in the same EPG.

This thread is one where this list is mentioned so should provide some info for you.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058075201

This is the Linux command I used to generate my list from my mapped channels.
    I then arranged those entries in the sequence I wanted them to appear, and saved the file on my PC for safe keeping.

I am then able to use that file as my own bouquet file in tvheadend (all other bouquets disabled) and TVH passes the list to Kodi on the clients along with 7 day EPG for each channel.
    curl http://192.168.1.12:9981/api/channel/grid?limit=999 | sed 's|},{|}\n\n{|g' | sed 's|"name":|#DESCRIPTION |g' | sed 's|"icon":"picon://|#SERVICE |g' | cut -d ',' -f4,5,6 | sort -n -k2 -t :| sed '/./,$!d' | sed 's|.png||g' | sed 's|"||g' | sed 's|_|:|g' | awk -F, '{print $1" "$3}' | sed 's|#|\n#|g'   >> MyBouquet.tv

Here are some other threads where this type of method is discussed

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103745513

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113391094

I believe that covers most everything. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

Any issues in dublin today? Saorview channels gone on TV and VU Tuner. Only scanned a week ago

No problems on either mux from Three Rock anyway. What were your signal strength/quality readings like when you did the scan? If marginal then a change in the weather could be enough to throw your signal off the "digital cliff". Pretty much anywhere in Dublin should have a strong signal so check out aerial/cabling/plugs.

No problems on either mux from Three Rock anyway. What were your signal strength/quality readings like when you did the scan? If marginal then a change in the weather could be enough to throw your signal off the "digital cliff". Pretty much anywhere in Dublin should have a strong signal so check out aerial/cabling/plugs.

I think its the cable ive running from the VU tuner to TV... its a male out connection from the VU tuner and ive a male to male adapter. I think id be better with a female to male cable

Those "cable joiners" aren't ideal but not usually a problem either.
    You said the VU had lost channels so the problem has to be upstream of that.

Those "cable joiners" aren't ideal but not usually a problem either.
    You said the VU had lost channels so the problem has to be upstream of that.

No they were actually fine on the Vu.. we did have thunder and lightning so maybe that effected.. how can I measure signal strength?

• Advertisement

No they were actually fine on the Vu.. we did have thunder and lightning so maybe that effected.. how can I measure signal strength?

Is this accurate?

MVIMG-20200731-164854.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Heads up for a Saorview outage at Mt Leinster tomorrow between 1500 and 2200 hrs. Unusual to see a scheduled Saorview outage during the primetime period.

https://twitter.com/2rnNMC/status/1348659924532924419?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

The Cush wrote: »
    Heads up for a Saorview outage at Mt Leinster tomorrow between 1500 and 2200 hrs. Unusual to see a scheduled Saorview outage during the primetime period.

When you consider all the updates from 2RN, the fm transmitters at Kippure, Mt Leinster and Three Rock have a lot of work done of them.

It’s been very cold and snowy up there of late, weather damage? It’s mild enough for this emergency work to take place. Guess, we’ll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've got no telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I've got no telly!

Me too. All gone. Anyone else got an issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

just lost all channels on 2 boxes, no rte or virgin, south east

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    just lost all channels on 2 boxes, no rte or virgin, south east

I’m in Waterford so I think we get our signal from mt leinster. Probably Wexford Waterford Carlow Kilkenny affected

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Me neither! Our Irish channels are gone, UK channels still working. Hoping it’s a temporary issue as per post above.
    Waterford based too.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

The Cush wrote: »

Wish I'd looked here before I checked all my connectors, cables, amplifier etc!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭insullation

• Advertisement

Anyone got a spare dodgy box they can loan me lol. Fishy help lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Wish I'd looked here before I checked all my connectors, cables, amplifier etc!

Haha, I've literally just checked the thread here up in my attic, before taking a perilous trek to my connections through a pain in the ass assemblage of beams, wires and fibreglass wool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All back again.

Peace has been restored to the galaxy ... and my sitting room. Now I can get back to watching all the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Mine went out at 6pm yesterday too and it's still not back. Anyone else? I've probably fcuked up a connection now fiddling around with it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Mine came back last night . . .

emeldc wrote: »
    Mine went out at 6pm yesterday too and it's still not back. Anyone else? I've probably fcuked up a connection now fiddling around with it :mad:

Yes it’s back since last night so you might have pulled your wire the wrong way. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Irishjg wrote: »
    Yes it’s back since last night so you might have pulled your wire the wrong way. :eek:
    I did indeed:D
    All good again now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Anyone know what the engineering work was at Mt Leinster please?
    I'm 111 miles from there and the signal this morning on RTE1 is "good" and RTE2 is "high" - one on CH23 and the other on CH26 .
    It only needs slight lift conditions to send the signal to "no signal" and I've never been able to work it out unless it's co channel interference from Carmel near Swansea which now use 23 and 26 . That would be off the back of my aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Lift conditions tonight - RTE1,Vm3 etc wiped out then broken up from Mt Leinster - signal level rapidly changing from "no signal" to "good".
    RTE 2 etc not affected with "good" signal.
    Wish I could get to the bottom of this .
    I'm not convinced it's co channel from Carmel near Swansea as I'm on the side of a north facing hill shielded from Carmel .
    It did this long before Carmel changed to C23 and C26.

Advertisement