Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

Rte 1 virgin media 4 and sky news break up signal transmission maghrea anyone have problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yes turned over for the news at 6 and nothing. tried a rescan and completely gone now lol

EDIT NOW BACK

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

It seem back on now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maghera will have outages on Wednesday 20 September.

Due to essential engineering work our Maghera transmitter will be subject to two complete outages of up to 30 minutes between 09:00 and 18:00 on Wednesday 20th September 2023. This work will affect all Saorview services from this transmitter site. 2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

2rn have notices about outages on 6 different sites starting 28 November.

https://2rn.ie/service-updates/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Anyone else experiencing drop outs on the Cairn Hill transmitter this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Yes. No reception

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

Outage all day today, I only spotted the notice in the last hour.

2rn – Cnoc An Óir, Co. Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

2rn reporting that the

* Castlebar

* Moville

* Monaghan

transmitters are currently off the air. Must be due to the storm.

Same message for all three, plus Wicklow.

"Due to an ESB fault our Moville transmitter is currently off the air. This fault is affecting all Saorview and FM radio services from this transmitter site. 2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this ESB fault."

Also messages for 6 transmitters scheduled work, including Castlebar later in the week. Only main site is Kippure.

"Due to essential engineering work our Kippure transmitter will be subject to complete outages of up to 30 minutes between 12:00 and 15:00 on Monday 22nd January 2024. This work will affect the Radio 1, 2FM and RnaG FM radio services from this transmitter site. 2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Weird artifacts on RTE1 Prime TIme - anything that moves is covered in horizontal lines.

Was watching on my laptop (from TVheadend tuners, not internet streaming) and decided to try the TV, it's exactly the same on the TV!

RTE2 is fine. Tuned to Three Rock. Captured this just as it cut from one camera to another.

Edit: stopped abut 12 mins in.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pinkyboi

Hi all,

I was doing a fix on my TV and lost RTE 1 and VM 3. Usually have these channels. Did the auto tune in and for back RTE 2, TG4, VM1&2 along with radio channels and Oireachtas Television..any idea how to resolve this? I am in Clare so Maghera would be our mast and the antenna is in the attic. Thanks from a confused 37 year old :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTE 1 etc. are on MUX 2, UHF 46 from Maghera

Assuming because the aerial is in the attic the signal for this frequency is below borderline, adjusting the aerial might pull in acceptable signal and restore the channels.

What is the signal strength/quality for frequency you're receiving, as per the TV's own meter?

Thanks so much for this, we had both channels on the box today. We wanted to look at the news but I couldn't get any signal on RTE1. The. I did a reset on all channels but only got the above ones and VM3 + RTE1 disappeared. I don't know how to do that or what I would even need to do in the attic. BTW thanks for the above from a very inexperienced person who watches TV.

Is the aerial accessible in the attic? If so, move it slightly and retune the TV, do this a few times to see if the signal improves.

Can you take a picture of the aerial in place?

Thanks so much, will check this out in the morning.. appreciate your help :-) will report back

Thanks so much for all your help last night. Left it off over night and it has now synced itself up - woo hoo! So happy..thank you again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

Lost all saorview channels. A retermination of the coax cable at the back of the box has brought back all 618mhz stations but the stations on 666mhz are all still at nearly 0 percent signal and quality?

Any ideas. I'm not great at this stuff.

What's the signal strength and quality reading for the working frequency?

If borderline it could be an aerial or cable issue.

Where is the aerial located?

What transmitter?

100% Sig strength and quality for working fre.

Aerial on roof.

Transmitter

2RN Transmitter:

SPUR HILL

• Advertisement

The only other time I've seen this previously was a signal overload, for example an amplifier in the installation.

Other than that I can only recommend to recheck any accessible connections, possibility of bad connection at aerial or cable issue.

Thank you very much. It's my Dad's house. He'll likely get someone to look at it. I'm on a flying visit. Was just after replacing the washing machine door seal and the stations went 🥹

A terrestrial meter would be handy in this situation, an installer is probably the way to go.

Is there any amplifier in the house, distribution amp for example?

Nope. Nothing like that. Basic set up.

Would it be worth terminating cable again? I can do that much but not sure if there's any merit in it

Strangely enough all 666mhz stations back to 100% signal and quality this morning.

Thanks for the help and replies The Cush, the interaction was welcome and helpful.

Great, would love to get a meter on that, suspect very strong signal vs. sensitive tuner.

Roughly how far away is the Spur Hill transmitter?

4km according to Google maps.

Very close, a set-top would probably work there.

If it were to continue to be an issue an attenuator between aerial plug and TV reduces the signal strength .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

All saorview from Spur Hill Cork went off air at 11PM last night (Wed) for engineering work. That is why this happened, no need to worry about contacting installers or getting meters, attenuators , or reterminating cables etc 🙂

Looks like one MUX came back before the other

Post edited by Antenna on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't they normally do that during the daytime?

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement