Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

My RTE 1/VM2/Sky News from CC is much stronger that RTE2/VM1/RTE News. I live in N. Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Me too, I'm just outside Rostrevor, moved recently and now a little further away from the transmitter. Maybe that's the problem??? Everything else coming in loud and clear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are two frequencies 642 and 666 MHz, Channels 42 and 45. Both are listed for a maximum of 160 kilowatts power, but it doesn't mean they are both using the same power. Also an aerial could be slightly less efficient at one frequency compared to the other. In Dundalk my signal quality reading on 42 is 89%, 45 is 79%. No problem ever with reception, but there is no way of knowing if a "perfect" picture is coming from a weak or a strong signal. You have to look at the signal readings. 42 is Mux 1 which carries RTE 2 and others, 45 is Mux 2 which carries RTE 1 and others.

Reception can vary, depending on the geography. Clermont is not reliable in parts of the Cooley Peninsula, so there is a low power transmitter in Greenore on 41 and 44. In the North it is probably easier to get a good signal near Belfast than in parts of the Mournes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have a 52 element wideband Triax with masthead amplifier and Mux 2 (C45) is much stronger on both my TV sets which are fed off the same aerial. Interestingly the TV with the shorter cable can receive both Muxes even when the amplifier is switched off while the other TV requires the amplifier and even loses MuX 1 in heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uggybear2

I'm in Clonmel. I can't seem to add the Irish channels; RTÉ One and also the plusses... I'm left with RTÉ 2, Virgin Media 1 & 2, TG4 and the radio channels. Been giving trouble since yesterday and have tried Auto Tuning 5-10 times. Anyone else having the same issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You're missing the mux 2 frequency that carries RTE 1, +1 etc.

Could be an aerial, cable or connection problem. What's your aerial setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

I never sorted out the same problem from Mt Leinster - Ch23 will go from "high" signal to " no signal" at the blink of an eye leaving ch26 fine.

Sometimes the same happens to ch26 leaving ch23 working and sometimes both ch23 and ch26 disappear .

It can happen whatever the weather patterns are and at anytime of the day -- annoying . I was going to buy and put up a multi element same group aerial but I don't think it will cure the problem . No aerial amplifier used .

I'll watch this thread again with interest. Peaceful Christmas all.

Aerial on the roof, cabled directly back to the TV?

• Advertisement

Simplest check is the connection to the TV, ensure the plug is secure to the cable and correctly inserted into the TV.

After that it depends how competent you are with ladders and working on the roof to check the aerial and cable connection.

If not, call in an aerial installer to do the checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In practice any UHF aerial, even a wideband, will have the gain fall off towards the bottom of the band so, everything else being equal, 23 will have a weaker signal than 26.

Check the aerial is aligned properly and is the correct polarisation(!) and your cables are in good condition - no water entry, no improperly made joins, no stray braid shorting to the centre conductor at plugs, etc. After that you're looking at getting a bigger (or higher) aerial - Group A rather than a wideband - or perhaps a masthead amp, but very few people should actually need a masthead amp for Saorview (as opposed to trying to pick up UK Freeview).

What does the Saorview signal checker say about the signal in your area? Is Mt Leinster the best choice for you or would a relay be better?

It's common enough to lose satellite signal when there's a (very) heavy raincloud in the line of sight[*], but terrestrial TV reception shouldn't be affected unless the signal is quite marginal to begin with.

[*] I think that's happened to us twice in 16 years and only for a few minutes at a time. Microwaves get absorbed by rainclouds a lot more than a UHF signal.

Also if you need all the signal you can get, don't overlook the losses caused by cheap wall plates and crappy fly leads. Ideally use top quality double copper screened cable throughout including fly leads.

Lots of great info on this site and a wry sense of humour too.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

Thanks for taking the time to reply -- I'm 111 miles as the crow flies from Mt Leinster in Pembrokeshire using a group "A" aerial not wideband.

I've seen that site before and makes some good reading . Time to look at getting a better aerial and mounting higher me thinks . No wall plates direct from aerial into a "C/D" and "A" antenna combiner -- same when the combiner is bypassed and lead taken straight to the TV.

Thanks - Happy 2023

You're a bit outside of the coverage area so 😁

Life ain't always empty.

Ah yes -- but it's there -- just not all the time !

At least in the analogue days the picture would go a bit "snowy" sometimes but was always watchable .

I have the overspill from Saorsat also but more of a faff with a KA band LNB bolted alongside the KU one .

All good fun.

Clermont Carn Channel 45 666 MHz is much reduced signal for me 5 pm 01 April. No picture most of the time. 42 642 MHz is normal. Nothing on 2rn updates about it.

https://2rn.ie/service-updates/

A follow up to my losing signal problem --

A few weeks ago I got up on the roof to clean the chimney downwards --- don't ask !!

While up there I thought" why don't I slacken off the aerial bracket and turn the aerial upside down" -- seemed like a good idea.The coax now comes in from underneath. The aerial fixing bracket is at the back behind the reflector.

Since doing this I've not had a single glitch on RTE One or RTE 2 . Ch 23 and Ch 26 now rock steady . Weird but who cares.

There is a right way and a wrong way to keep the rain out (assuming horizontal polarization)

Life ain't always empty.

Dry as a bone inside the connection box which was on the top of the aerial -- horizontal polarization . It's now underneath.

The signal disappeared for no reason whether dry or wet .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

I live in Letterkenny and up until about 2-3 weeks ago I could get NI Freeview on antenna. Since then however, I get nothing except Saorview. I don't watch it much and stream most content but I do want them back.

Has anything happened the NI transmitters that they now don't reach LK? Or is it possibly a broken booster in my house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Limavady & Strabane transmitters are reported fault-free. Must be some problem at your own end; could be as simple as a dodgy connection into the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Might just be a busted booster then. All TVs are the same and no change was made. Lightning night have fried it.

Saw something about NI lowering power to transmitters but Strabane is only 20-odd KM away so I doubt that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

There was no lowering of transmitter power. Yes, it's possible lightning took out an amplifier; if it's an outdoor 'masthead' type, it could mean a trip to the roof to replace it.

From 2rn on 09 July. There were a couple of short breaks between 1.45 and 2 pm, one preceded by an announcement on 87.8 which was cut off half way through. Long break from around 2 pm continuing at 2.40.

"Due to essential engineering work our

Clermont Carn transmitter will be

subject to a complete outage of up to 2

hours between 13:45 and 16:45 on

Tuesday 11th July 2023.

This work will affect all FM radio

services from this transmitter site.

2rn apologise for any inconvenience

caused by this necessary work."

Camlough radio services went off abruptly shortly after 9 am 31 July. Still off at 1.30 pm. These can normally be heard in Dundalk and other border areas in the South. TV seems to be unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grillygilleece

Belturbet Co cavan.

RTE 1 anVirgin Media channels are off this past few days. Most people in the area have the same problem.

When i say OFF there is some fleckering and life bit no steady picture

Could be this:

Due to essential engineering work our Cairn Hill transmitter will be subject to power reductions and short outages between 28th August and 15th September 2023. This work will affect all Saorview services from this transmitter site. 2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Cairn_Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Radio558

This was the

essential engineering work on Cairn Hill transmitter that's some coex cable

I heard an announcement on 87.8 at 10.30 am about prossible outages from Clermont Carn. Shortly after it went off air, along with the other frequencies. It is on the website.

"Due to essential engineering work our

Clermont carn transmitter will be

subject to power reductions and

complete outages between 10:00 and

16:30 on 12th to 13th September 2023.

This work will affect all FM radio

services from this transmitter site.

2rn apologise for any inconvenience

caused by this necessary work."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone having a problem with the mux RTE1 is on from Maghera?

RTE2 etc. OK

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement