Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Junior Revolut Account

• 29-07-2020 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

If you go to add a junior account in revolut it will ask you to upgrade, hit the ‘Not Now’ button and it will allow you to proceed with the junior account anyway.
    Card delivery/cost is 5.99, you have to change settings to use it for contactless as initially will only be set up for cash withdrawals.
    Handy for teens/kids to manage there own money, or top it up instead of handing out cash, it gives you a choice if three cards to pick from as well. It’s still linked to your account so you can see where there spending.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

It may may not be as useful as you think, a poster in the Revolut thread had a child had a refused transaction in the local local Centra as they sell alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

It may may not be as useful as you think, a poster in the Revolut thread had a child had a refused transaction in the local local Centra as they sell alcohol

Seems unusual? Card schemes usually block based off mcc codes. Blocking a mcc code used by centra would be blocking a lot of merchants...basically all convenience stores.

daheff wrote: »
    Seems unusual? Card schemes usually block based off mcc codes. Blocking a mcc code used by centra would be blocking a lot of merchants...basically all convenience stores.

Yeah it could just be an odd MCC code, needs more research

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I had the same error with mine via the app (Tried it in Galway Plaza) on my sons phone , Reason is You need to get the physical card first and then a pin transaction before contactless works ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭keith_d99

The Junior cards don't support Apple/Google Pay do you they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Got my teenage daughter one there last week.

First time use it needs to be physical use using card/pin in a shop. After that the card can be used contactless but they cant tap a phone to pay.

You have the option as a parent to set limits to monthly spending and also lock the card from your app at any stage should you want to.

TimHorton wrote: »
    I had the same error with mine via the app (Tried it in Galway Plaza) on my sons phone , Reason is You need to get the physical card first and then a pin transaction before contactless works ,

Isn't this always the way with contactless, I'm not sure they did this but the poster said they asked Revolut and this was their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Isn't this always the way with contactless, I'm not sure they did this but the poster said they asked Revolut and this was their answer.

It’s the same with every bank, card needs to be activated first

theboss80 wrote: »
    Got my teenage daughter one there last week.

First time use it needs to be physical use using card/pin in a shop. After that the card can be used contactless but they cant tap a phone to pay.

You have the option as a parent to set limits to monthly spending and also lock the card from your app at any stage should you want to.

So Card required for all transactions .?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

TimHorton wrote: »
    So Card required for all transactions .?

Yes, as far as I can tell but online shopping is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

Create a virtual card on your own account and set that up on their phone. You can set a monthly limit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

bromley52 wrote: »
    Create a virtual card on your own account and set that up on their phone. You can set a monthly limit on it.

Was just going to say this. I have my own account and virtual card set up on my daughters Google pay aswell as mine and my wife's.

Ill just move money to a vault and leave the little one a fiver if she's going the shop or text her saying you've 8 euro enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does the Junior account have its own IBAN number, does anyone know?

I'm wondering if you can transfer funds directly to junior from any bank, or do you have to go through the parent Revolut account.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Does the Junior account have its own IBAN number, does anyone know?

I'm wondering if you can transfer funds directly to junior from any bank, or do you have to go through the parent Revolut account.

i dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It’s through the parent account only. Annoying, two parents can’t manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

That and you can only transfer in 40 per month, unless you are premium revolut user

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

How strict is this? Do you need to have a child? For example could I get the card and leave it in the car for emergenies encase I lose or forget my wallet?
    I've ended up at the till in Tesco with the wallet at home recently I was so distracted about not forgetting a mask

Dudda wrote: »
    How strict is this? Do you need to have a child? For example could I get the card and leave it in the car for emergenies encase I lose or forget my wallet?
    I've ended up at the till in Tesco with the wallet at home recently I was so distracted about not forgetting a mask

Just add your Revolut to Google or Apple pay, then you can just tap and pay with your smartphone. You don't even need a physical Revolut card, the first card you get from Revolut is a virtual card that only works online, but this works with Google/Apple pay. Signing up for Revolut takes 5 minutes, just download the app and scan your passport

Edit, just to add, with Revolut you can lock a card in the app or disable contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

clancger wrote: »
    That and you can only transfer in 40 per month, unless you are premium revolut user

Perfect for my young kids , a 5er a week. One set up through the misses account and the other one through mine

Just add your Revolut to Google or Apple pay, then you can just tap and pay with your smartphone. You don't even need a physical Revolut card, the first card you get from Revolut is a virtual card that only works online, but this works with Google/Apple pay. Signing up for Revolut takes 5 minutes, just download the app and scan your passport

Edit, just to add, with Revolut you can lock a card in the app or disable contactless.

My phone doest have NFC which I think you need to pay with a smartphone and my smartwatch doesn't have it either (Garmin running smartwatch). I have Revolut and use it as my primary bank for the last 18 months so know about all its features, virtual cards, vaults, etc. I think it's great. It's just this kids feature I don't know about as I don't have kids and it's asking for the child's date of birth. I'm wondering will it ask to upload ID of the child like when I joined it ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My phone doest have NFC which I think you need to pay with a smartphone and my smartwatch doesn't have it either (Garmin running smartwatch). I have Revolut and use it as my primary bank for the last 18 months so know about all its features, virtual cards, vaults, etc. I think it's great. It's just this kids feature I don't know about as I don't have kids and it's asking for the child's date of birth. I'm wondering will it ask to upload ID of the child like when I joined it ages ago.

There is no verification like that of a main account, as the junior account is a subsidiary of your own account, so legally it all tracks back to you. So in theory you could get it, but you'd be making a fake name and details, which when dealing with any financial institution is not really a good idea. As you know, you can add extra cards easy enough, which might be a better alternative.

Thats a big negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

That's via the App I presume....

Anything stopping you doing a normal bank transfer to its BIC & IBAN or whatever?

Mango Joe wrote: »
    That's via the App I presume....

Anything stopping you doing a normal bank transfer to its BIC & IBAN or whatever?

You can only transfer 40 to this junior visa card, it uses the same BIC and IBAN as your main account so transferring money would just be sending it to your main account card

delly wrote: »
    There is no verification like that of a main account, as the junior account is a subsidiary of your own account, so legally it all tracks back to you. So in theory you could get it, but you'd be making a fake name and details, which when dealing with any financial institution is not really a good idea. As you know, you can add extra cards easy enough, which might be a better alternative.
    Thank you. Your right. Having a fake name on Boards, Twitter, etc isn't the same as a bank even if it's digital. I'll leave it I think. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Does the kid get their own app to check balance or they have to ask you each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

My youngfella used up his 40 quid on a birthday weekend and has been waiting a month for it to come back on. Not great really. Might try the virtual on his phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yourmama wrote: »
    Does the kid get their own app to check balance or they have to ask you each time?

They have their own app. They can’t do much except check balances as the control stays with the parent in their app

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

Why don't you order an additional Revolut card?

Or you can always have a Curve card:

https://www.curve.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I am blind.....how on earth do I order/setup a junior card or account on my revolut app? I cannot see the option at all. Thanks

edit never mind...app eventually updated and now I found it.

Advertisement