Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Jafin

Thats the right way to look at it.. I know they arent cheap but as you said you get what you pay for. Hopefully you hear back today. I know all the councils are different, but I sent back my signed letter of acceptance 3 weeks ago. Still no mortgage docs.. Such a long process but it will be worth it in the end.

Three weeks? Ouch. I have spoken with the solicitor and her fees seem to be very reasonable, kind of middle of the road between the minimum and maximum that I had seen when I was doing some Googling, so I think I will probably go with her but I'll take until tomorrow at least to mull it over.

Since you're a little ahead of me in terms of waiting for the documents - once I have the form filled and sent back to the council accepting the loan offer can I then start seriously looking for a property and organising viewings etc.? I had held off on viewings because most of the things I read said that estate agents won't take you seriously if you don't have approval in principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shellzer123

Jafin wrote: »
    Three weeks? Ouch. I have spoken with the solicitor and her fees seem to be very reasonable, kind of middle of the road between the minimum and maximum that I had seen when I was doing some Googling, so I think I will probably go with her but I'll take until tomorrow at least to mull it over.

Since you're a little ahead of me in terms of waiting for the documents - once I have the form filled and sent back to the council accepting the loan offer can I then start seriously looking for a property and organising viewings etc.? I had held off on viewings because most of the things I read said that estate agents won't take you seriously if you don't have approval in principle.

Oh i have been sale agreed since Feb. The minute i got approved in principle i started looking and found one. Yes absolutely get looking. Just spoke to council and they are sending out mortgage docs next week

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mirabella1

Hello. Anybody know how is it now with these mortgage when we been in covid payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

mirabella1 wrote: »
    Hello. Anybody know how is it now with these mortgage when we been in covid payment?

You have to be off the payment for at least two months before drawdown. I have an offer in on a house and I last got the the payment the beginning of may. We weren't actually meant to get it because we didn't lose enough revenue for it to apply to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SarahKK1987

We were advised we have to be off it 3 months before drawdown. We went sale agreed March 7th and luckily were able to get case appealed on Friday even though I'm still on the payment due to the sector we both work in. My advise it to be very patient with who ever is looking after your application and don't get pissy with them and you might have some hope. I'm thinking it coukd possibly be a case by case basis working off recommended guidelines by finance committee.

mirabella1 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

Sulli83 wrote: »
    Hope it's a positive outcome for you!!

We had a meeting with Wicklow CC this morning, it's looking like a formality for us now that we will be given the loan unless stipulations from the department or our circumstances change over the next few weeks.

Just a heads up though we were informed today that in order to draw down you will have to be off TWSS for 2 full months, we are currently 6 weeks off it at this point. The admins were great today and said they would attempt to push the application along even though we weren't the full 2 months off TWSS yet.

Hey Sulli,

Sorry I haven't been on this i a while. 2 whole months to be off the TWSS. Thats mental.

Who stated that was it the credit committee?

I sent in 3 months of payslips. Only one (the most recent payslip) to SDCC at the time. And the credit committee approved the submitted application. And now its gone to the legal department who will issue the loanpack/loan offer.

Thanking You.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

BeansBeans wrote: »
    I am struggling to remember the timeline, but I think it was 4 weeks or more to hear of approval. Be prepared to go grey through this process, we found it helpful to keep communicating with them through the process, speed it along. Things get left on desks.
    But it's all dependent on the individual council in reality

It took me close to 7 months to get approval.

Nobody ever told me anything about having to be off TWSS for two months. One of the members of staff got in contact with me just after I went back to work in May and just told me it would probably be best if I waited until I had four regular (weekly) payslips before proceeding with my application. Waiter until I had those, sent them in along with updated bank/savings account statements and got my loan offer a few days ago. I suppose by the time I go sale agreed on a property I'll definitely be past both the two and three month threshold anyway so it doesn't really matter, in my case at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cheesepuffs

Hi,

What’s happens after you go sale agreed and send back form 1,2 & 3 to the council.

We have submitted our MPI forms and council said ‘clerk of works will inspect the property’

CP

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

Hi all.
    We submitted our application the other day, fingers crossed it's not too long but is there a maximum deposit amount that we can have? We have €35k saved and will have another €9k or so if we're waiting another 5 or 6 months. Based on our salaries and the calculator, the maximum mortgage we'd get would be €270k.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement

extrafluff wrote: »
    Hi all.
    We submitted our application the other day, fingers crossed it's not too long but is there a maximum deposit amount that we can have? We have €35k saved and will have another €9k or so if we're waiting another 5 or 6 months. Based on our salaries and the calculator, the maximum mortgage we'd get would be €270k.
    Thank you.

Nope, no maximum deposit. Anything extra is a bonus. The way a mortgage works is that the maximum you can receive is 90% of the price of the property you're buying. Let's say for example you were buying a property for €100k (just using that because it's a nice clean number) and you had saved up €25k. You would get a mortgage of €90k, add your deposit of €10k and you'd have €15k left over for expenses, furniture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bobmo123

Hi Ninja.

There are a few differences. This is for people who have been refused a mortgage with 2 or more lenders. It is a fixed rate for the duration of the mortgage.

How much you can borrow depends on a lot of thing. Fill this out: http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/calculator/ and it will tell you.

The council will take into consideration Disability Allowance. I think a few bank do also like Ulster Bank.

Im not sure if they do friends mortgages but if you are married then it has to be a joint application.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Can someone explain me why when on RIHL site I calculate how much money I can borrow using their calculator a single applicant gets 5k less than joint applicants(one income) but still with one income. Doesn't make much sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Hi guys - with regards to sending payslips, how do you do that? Print & scan isn't really an option when Working From Home but payslips are password protected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

optogirl wrote: »
    Hi guys - with regards to sending payslips, how do you do that? Print & scan isn't really an option when Working From Home but payslips are password protected.

Print it to a PDF in your browser. That will save it without the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Hi folks,

Could anyone give me an idea on whether this situation would hamper me, i'm assuming it would.

So last June i took out a loan of 30,000 with AIB(surgery cost)

Some months i payed the standard repayment (640) but other months (3000) the loan will be cleared by September so 15 payments in total averaging 2000 a month, the term originally set was 60 months so that might be an issue im not sure i think clearing early is not great.

My deposit went back into my account by way of a 50% refund from my health insurance provider, so on paper it wasn't actually saved each month.

From reading this thread it seems this will hurt my chances considering they want to see regular savings of the mortgage amount.

Is my best option once the loan is cleared to get 6 months of 1000+ savings under my belt.

Are these things somewhat discretionary in the sense that its easy to see the i'll be comfortable with a mortgage of 800-1000 a month or are they strict in stone bullet point rules.

Just to add i would like apply as soon as the loan is finished in September and not before its cleared.

Thanks folks

Hi folks,

Could anyone give me an idea on whether this situation would hamper me, i'm assuming it would.

So last June i took out a loan of 30,000 with AIB(surgery cost)

Some months i payed the standard repayment (640) but other months (3000) the loan will be cleared by September so 15 payments in total averaging 2000 a month, the term originally set was 60 months so that might be an issue im not sure i think clearing early is not great.

My deposit went back into my account by way of a 50% refund from my health insurance provider, so on paper it wasn't actually saved each month.

From reading this thread it seems this will hurt my chances considering they want to see regular savings of the mortgage amount.

Is my best option once the loan is cleared to get 6 months of 1000+ savings under my belt.

Are these things somewhat discretionary in the sense that its easy to see the i'll be comfortable with a mortgage of 800-1000 a month or are they strict in stone bullet point rules.

Just to add i would like apply as soon as the loan is finished in September and not before its cleared.

Thanks folks

I can't give you an answer on your situation but what I will tell you is that I needed 12 months evidence of regular saving when I was applying, so I'm not sure if they'll accept 6 months from you. It does specifically state on the RIHL website that 12 months is the minimum, but it doesn't hurt to double check. Your best bet would be to contact your local county council to get clarification.

I can't give you an answer on your situation but what I will tell you is that I needed 12 months evidence of regular saving when I was applying, so I'm not sure if they'll accept 6 months from you. It does specifically state on the RIHL website that 12 months is the minimum, but it doesn't hurt to double check. Your best bet would be to contact your local county council to get clarification.

Thank you very much for the advice.

I'll give them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I was in a slightly similar situation - I didn't have such a big outlay to pay but I did reduce my savings for 2-3 months while I had surgery last August/September. I was advised when I handed in my application to withdraw the application and wait until October this year (a full yer of savings) so they do seem to be strict on it.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I was in a slightly similar situation - I didn't have such a big outlay to pay but I did reduce my savings for 2-3 months while I had surgery last August/September. I was advised when I handed in my application to withdraw the application and wait until October this year (a full yer of savings) so they do seem to be strict on it.

Wow i didnt think they were that strict.

Probably best to set my sights on September 2021.

Do you know if banks require this also, i'm guessing AIB wouldn't accept me clearing the loan with 2k a month as any different to just paying the standard rate, i'm thinking doing this and not saving was a mistake although in the end i'll save 12k on interest.

Hope the surgery went well btw :)

• Advertisement

Do you know if banks require this also, i'm guessing AIB wouldn't accept me clearing the loan with 2k a month as any different to just paying the standard rate, i'm thinking doing this and not saving was a mistake although in the end i'll save 12k on interest.

Not sure about the loan parts but they're less strict about savings. 6 months of regular savings is generally what they need. To be honest with you banks are much faster to get mortgages from. I went into Permanent TSB last November because my mam told me they were having an information day about mortgages. I literally just went in for information about how it all worked. I walked out 30 minutes later with approval in principle. Now I will note that I do my banking with them so they had the record of my savings and stuff already, so I didn't have to go and gather it for them or anything.

Not sure about the loan parts but they're less strict about savings. 6 months of regular savings is generally what they need. To be honest with you banks are much faster to get mortgages from. I went into Permanent TSB last November because my mam told me they were having an information day about mortgages. I literally just went in for information about how it all worked. I walked out 30 minutes later with approval in principle. Now I will note that I do my banking with them so they had the record of my savings and stuff already, so I didn't have to go and gather it for them or anything.

Nice one! Bet you weren't expecting that lol :)

Ideally i would rather go with the bank tbh for 2 reasons variable rate (can lash off the capital and not worry about fees if i clear it early and the speed.

The only thing thats killing me with AIB is they wont accept any of my 9k/year guaranteed overtime because i haven't been receiving it 3 years(1 year on payslips currently), half thinking off asking my job to add it into my salary instead. All i would need is them to accept 3500/year and it would bring me into the bracket i need.

Thanks, surgery went well thankfully. Hope yours did too. I know banks aren’t as strict. Like previous poster, I went into ptsb, I’ve no account with them but I did have a print out of my savings. I got AIP for 3.5 times my salary but I’m below the threshold for what I need.Rebuilding Ireland seems the way for me but I’ve 2 issues. First being I know I’ll be refused their mortgage protection due to the surgery I had. If I can get a replacement that will work in my favour as it would be a lot cheaper so could be a blessing in disguise. Second I don’t fancy taking a loan over 25 years. I wish they made the penalties for paying early clear

Thanks, surgery went well thankfully. Hope yours did too. I know banks aren’t as strict. Like previous poster, I went into ptsb, I’ve no account with them but I did have a print out of my savings. I got AIP for 3.5 times my salary but I’m below the threshold for what I need.Rebuilding Ireland seems the way for me but I’ve 2 issues. First being I know I’ll be refused their mortgage protection due to the surgery I had. If I can get a replacement that will work in my favour as it would be a lot cheaper so could be a blessing in disguise. Second I don’t fancy taking a loan over 25 years. I wish they made the penalties for paying early clear

Thank you, it did thank god :)

Regarding the insurance, my consultant specifically said to me in his memo recording thing that i have no issues with insurance as the surgery and recovery were 100% successful not sure but maybe you could look into getting something like this.

Although that would mean your stuck with the CC MPI which is robbery

Thank you, it did thank god :)

Regarding the insurance, my consultant specifically said to me in his memo recording thing that i have no issues with insurance as the surgery and recovery were 100% successful not sure but maybe you could look into getting something like this.

Although that would mean your stuck with the CC MPI which is robbery

It is robbery. I have a life long condition. Which does not affect me day to day but I know of people that have been refused the councils mortgage protection because of it. The surgeon said he would give me a letter to say I’m healthy as the next person on the street but the surgery was indirectly connected to the heart and that makes insurance companies run for the hills

It is robbery. I have a life long condition. Which does not affect me day to day but I know of people that have been refused the councils mortgage protection because of it. The surgeon said he would give me a letter to say I’m healthy as the next person on the street but the surgery was indirectly connected to the heart and that makes insurance companies run for the hills

It seems your stuck between a rock and a hard place here, not eligible for CC MPI and left to the whim of a cartel like insurance industry.

Have any insurance companies have you quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sulli83

gnr vr fan wrote: »
    Hey Sulli,

Sorry I haven't been on this i a while. 2 whole months to be off the TWSS. Thats mental.

Who stated that was it the credit committee?

I sent in 3 months of payslips. Only one (the most recent payslip) to SDCC at the time. And the credit committee approved the submitted application. And now its gone to the legal department who will issue the loanpack/loan offer.

Thanking You.

Good stuff, congratulations.

Our application has also been transferred to the legal department. Our 2 months in limbo finished up last week. Pretty hopeful for the loan offer over the next few weeks as I'd imagine the vendor is getting impatient at this stage.

It seems your stuck between a rock and a hard place here, not eligible for CC MPI and left to the whim of a cartel like insurance industry.

Have any insurance companies have you quotes?

Can you apply for quotes with the insurance companies if you have no property for I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Hi guys I'm wondering if somebody might be able to help me.... excuse me in advance if this has been covered as I cant find the information.

Iv just gone sale agreed on a house. My husband is on the wage subsidy scheme... will we be able to draw down while he is on it??

My second question is.... the house was being refurbished but wasn't finished... there is about 20k of work left to do on it.... if I have the 20k myself to finish it after I pay my deposit... will that be aloud?? I know the rebuilding Ireland scheme will only pay the price of the house... was unsure if I would be aloud to finish it from my own savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

We just got message from Kildare coco , they still deal with backlog from 2019 and we are 29 on the waiting list for 2020, slim chances for loan in this year:-(

Advertisement