Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

For those of you asking “where will this all end” the answer is it won’t. Dublin City Council or any public body simply do not have the guts to insist that these statues, which form part of a protected structure, be reinstated.

The removal of these statues will further embolden anyone with an agenda to demand cultural items be suppressed, banned and removed.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

white noise omfg so racisht padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

quick burn the sliced pan before aunt aoife gets here! had no idea she was so political.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Can’t say I agree with removing statues or indeed any form of art or sculpture without very good reason; would much rather see plaques nearby which put them into their correct context and otherwise leave them be. If they’re moved to a museum or park then I wouldn’t have much of an issue either.

I would be interested to see what if any kind of reaction there will be from Dublin City Council since presumably there was no planning permission sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The hotel virtue signalling by removing statues that few if any realised had any slavery connotations.

How about some real virtue. Like employing a diversity officer or paying minimum wage workers 50 cent more an hour? No? Of course not, the statues will have to go to prove how virtuous and multiculturally aware they are.

Now try booking a traveller wedding in the Shelbourne.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Great, we’ll start moving ‘problematic’ books to less troublesome shelves, in a bunker somewhere. Good books should be able to pass the new Woke cult test, right?

You won’t find Mein Kampf in the kids or young adults sections no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Jeez what next? Pretend we weren’t once part of the United Kingdom and blow up Nelson’s Pillar? Spray paint the post boxes green?

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Overheal wrote: »
    You won’t find Mein Kampf in the kids or young adults sections no.

Wasnt there a call just last week to remove To Kill a Mockingbird from the Junior Cert curriculum? (and Of Mice and Men, though I haven't read it, so I'm not sure what's 'problematic' about that...)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40021460.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

It's their hotel, it seems a bit silly to me given the context but they can remove them if they want. Though it is funny juxtaposing this thread with others where posters are saying if people want statues taken down they should do it by peaceful means instead of just ripping them out of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

walshb wrote: »
    World is fooking mad....and the maddest thing is that it's going to get madder...

It is, we are simply lying down and pandering to a bunch of people who we opened our doors, arms, financial resources to and are now prepared self rape our own identity, history, culture and ideology so that they might not get offended... the world / country is bananas.... mental... we are living in truly fûcked up times.

Only a matter of time before we see companies advertising online for staff and at the bottom of the advertisement the BLM badge. Underneath... “Our policy is to hire 50% or better people who are black / African heritage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Racial supremacy, slavery, genocide, eugenic behaviour, wiping out entire species of animal, overthrowing democratically elected governance - time to take the wrecking ball to Colesseum and all that Roman stuff!

Pardon the term but white washing history is wrong - within reason leave remnants of historical ills as part of the educating of future generations. Explain the significance of these things. They should rename US military bases commemorating confederates that defended slavery, but its should be eg Fort Tuskagee (formally known as Fort Benning) with even an info point or plaque on why renaming happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    For those of you asking “where will this all end” the answer is it won’t. Dublin City Council or any public body simply do not have the guts to insist that these statues, which form part of a protected structure, be reinstated.

The removal of these statues will further embolden anyone with an agenda to demand cultural items be suppressed, banned and removed.

If there has been a breach of planning legislation and a valid complaint is lodged to their Enforcement section they are then obliged to act by investigating and if necessary issuing an enforcement notice, which if not complied with should result in enforcement proceedings. If a member of the public is of the opinion the council failed to take appropriate action then they should lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

It's their hotel, it seems a bit silly to me given the context but they can remove them if they want. Though it is funny juxtaposing this thread with others where posters are saying if people want statues taken down they should do it by peaceful means instead of just ripping them out of the ground.
    The building is on the Register of Protected structures which I understand to mean planning permission is required to interfere with the fabric of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wasnt there a call just last week to remove To Kill a Mockingbird from the Junior Cert curriculum? (and Of Mice and Men, though I haven't read it, so I'm not sure what's 'problematic' about that...)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40021460.html

You say you aren’t sure yet it’s explained in the link you offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ChosenWong

It all seems a bit medieval that these monuments are being pulled down or removed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Solve the amount of slavery happening in the modern world. The past is past.

And the bloody Muppets who perpetuate this nonsense haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

They were statues of slaves ffs What do you think they were for? Lol. It'll take some really limber mental gymnastics to make the anti BLM argument on this.

The statues are apparently of Nubian princesses and their slave girls, in other words they're depictions of black slave holders; so in reality it's got nothing all to with BLM.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

So they “removed” the statues but you’ve gone for the slippery slope of “demolish all the 18th and 19th century buildings” - seems to be the only storm in a teacup here tbh. The statues aren’t demolished yes just removed from the hotel front?

It's always the same with these post modernist types encouraging such nonsense, whether it's statues, violent agitators, cancel culture or big burly men competing in Women's sport. They'll throw in a little connotation attempting to downplay such incidents as isolated incidents whilst basking gleefully in the calamity of it all. They have a stranglehold on society and imo it's very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Nesta99 wrote: »

Pardon the term but white washing history is wrong

Have things gotten so bad that using the phrase ‘white washing’ requires an apology in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Frank McDonald on rte1radio talking a lot of sense, asking what relevance a statue depicting a scene from 4000 years ago, has to modern slavery issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It is worrying to see this US crap making its way into Irish politics and culture. We should all try to reject it as it's toxic and divisive and is almost like a virus, making people obsessed with race and sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    It is worrying to see this US crap making its way into Irish politics and culture. We should all try to reject it as it's toxic and divisive and is almost like a virus, making people obsessed with race and sex.

Read the other day that when the League of Ireland starts back this weekend the players and refs will be “taking the knee” for the first 8 games. I think it’s overkill tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Omackeral wrote: »
    Read the other day that when the League of Ireland starts back this weekend the players and refs will be “taking the knee” for the first 8 games. I think it’s overkill tbh.

.... and same in Scotland
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53569161

I love how it says the players can take the knee "should they wish to do so".

Who isn't going to get down? Its like the poppy now, you haven't got a choice.

Really think one or two players are going to stand when everyone else is kneeling? The mob would be online immediately calling you a racist and trying to end your career.

Omackeral wrote: »

Clowns.

A tiny bit of reading shows BLM are a toxic organisation and US police brutality is a statistical anomoly. And obviously has nothing to do with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Like what, leaving Nazi statues in the Berlin city center?

There’s a proper place for history and it’s not always in positions of honor.

Did you seriously just compare statues depicting ancient Egyptian culture to Nazis?

That's probably the stupidest Godwin-ing of a thread I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There's a fairly hefty irony to DCC's planning section being located at Wood Quay given the archaelogical vandalism that went on in building that office block

Well the Vikings were chronic slave traders so i'm glad DCC vandalised wood quay.

I'd also like to see all our other grandiose symbols of imperialist colonialism demolished; The Custom House, The GPO, Trinity College etc - that would prove our virtue far more effectively than some small statues of African princesses and their servants which no one even knew represented slavery to being with.

MOH wrote: »
    Did you seriously just compare statues depicting ancient Egyptian culture to Nazis?

That's probably the stupidest Godwin-ing of a thread I've ever seen

There's a lot of extremists here. It's best to add them to your ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its no different that all the companies jumping onto the pride bandwagon the last few years. They go all out to ensure they get their photos and publicity from it.

Where were these companies 20 - 30 years ago when these groups actually needed support and doing so meant sticking your neck on the chopping block.

This current bout of companies trying to be super woke and sensitive is just as sickening. They only make the effort when the tide has already turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,260 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Heard someone rightly say its the US Hotel owners importing cancel culture into Ireland.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

It sounds like they wanted to remove the statues anyway.
    This is just a means of removing them knowing that the council will be unlikely to object due to BLM.
    The hotel also looks like it is taking the moral high ground

Genius from management.

Advertisement