Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Why would she ?? She has a great life by telling Irish people how racist they are while talking our taxpayers money .

She has a terrible attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Why would she ?? She has a great life by telling Irish people how racist they are while talking our taxpayers money .

I don’t want to derail the thread by focusing on that individual. Nevertheless, I doubt she has a great life. Anybody who carries around that level of aggression and toxicity, is a disturbed, unhappy person.

Deep down, I suspect she knows that most Irish people see through her BS and recognize her for what she is, namely a shyster who used a legal loophole to circumvent our immigration laws. I imagine that when she walks into the UCD staff lounge, the fair trade coffee is skulled and the avocado & toast is wolfed down. Most likely, quite a lonely person in her personal life.

She’s best ignored. You’ll find she will be unceremoniously ‘de-platformed’ when she inevitably oversteps the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ireland-has-yet-to-come-to-terms-with-its-imperial-past-1.4444146

Heres the times blaming us for imperialism now... journalism really has gone to the dogs. Im sure this will be cited in some student of ebun josephs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ireland-has-yet-to-come-to-terms-with-its-imperial-past-1.4444146

Heres the times blaming us for imperialism now... journalism really has gone to the dogs. Im sure this will be cited in some student of ebun josephs

This type of nonsense is what passes for academia in this day and age.

Absolute waffle.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Paper never refused ink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We did have a lot of bad Irish dudes in the British Army, I'm not sure we need to be apologising for them though I mean it was the British army after all.
    That Michael Dwyer bloke springs to mind, responsible for a massacre in India, which I think led to Gandhi doing his whole independence thing.
    Many Irish people did benefit from imperialism though, but I mean so did most of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Born in North Rhodesia and grew up in Belfast too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭Hamachi

We did have a lot of bad Irish dudes in the British Army, I'm not sure we need to be apologising for them though I mean it was the British army after all.
    That Michael Dwyer bloke springs to mind, responsible for a massacre in India, which I think led to Gandhi doing his whole independence thing.
    Many Irish people did benefit from imperialism though, but I mean so did most of Europe.

Can you quantify ‘a lot’ in terms of the ‘bad Irish dudes’ who committed atrocities under the umbrella of the British army?

How ‘many’ Irish people benefitted from imperialism? You’ll find it’s a relatively tiny number, mostly those residing within the pale.

If there is any European country who owes no apology for colonialism or is required to make reparations for imperialism, it’s Ireland.

The brand of revisionism propagated in that article is frankly ridiculous.

Born in North Rhodesia and grew up in Belfast too...

really... Jesus talk about trying to deflect from the sins of your parents.

really... Jesus talk about trying to deflect from the sins of your parents.

And I doubt given her surname, she was living on the Falls Road.

• Advertisement

The Irish as a nation have absolutely nothing to apologise, atone or pay reparations for to any other nation, we are not responsible for imperialism, slavery etc...

the argument that europe must allow in migrants because of imperialism is flimsy at best with regards the UK, Germany etc.. but it has absolutely factually 0 basis for being used with regards Ireland.

The Irish as a nation have absolutely nothing to apologise, atone or pay reparations for to any other nation, we are not responsible for imperialism, slavery etc...

the argument that europe must allow in migrants because of imperialism is flimsy at best with regards the UK, Germany etc.. but it has absolutely factually 0 basis for being used with regards Ireland.

It's madness.

Should the Uzbeks pay reparations or apologise for the damage inflicted on India by their Mughal ancestors? The Mughals were conducting massacres on a scale that puts the British ones in the halfpenny place. And they controlled India as part of a much larger empire in that region for their own enrichment.

Where does this rank stupidity end?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Lives matter even if the initial O of their surname is not followed by an apostrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have reviewed that article and I can't find any errors of fact in it.

Some of her conclusions especially the bit about "the kings shilling" shame issue I would disagree with.

But then she is a Professor of History, what would she know?

Relax folks, it's an opinion piece, not a manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

A lot of the working class of colonising powers were victims of colonisation too. It gets so complex. Take the Netherlands and Indonesia for example. The Dutch management of this colony required Dutch administration but this wasn't a very desirable career due to high rates of attrition with a life expectancy of about three years. often they were unwilling participants. It is also clear many people in colonised countries benifited too. Too be honest, it is too complex and long ago to be playing blame games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Either way, it looks like Dr. Joseph has another cross to bear, she's already insinuating that the guy shot in Clonee today was shot because of his colour. I won't link to the video, (probably not allowed), but there's a larger back story to this. And there will be a full investigation. It's a pity she got in there first and tried to stir this up.

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1344322991149244416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

She has books to sell and diversity courses to teach, and don't forget her diversity consultancy business. Ebun Joseph being racist should not surprise anyone.

Kivaro wrote: »
    She has books to sell and diversity courses to teach, and don't forget her diversity consultancy business. Ebun Joseph being racist should not surprise anyone.

If it works for Ibram Kendi in the US, who charges corporates $20k a pop to tell their workers that they are racists, then why not the bold Ms Joseph?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

She got nearly 80 thanks for that tweet. That's nearly 80 people who are dribbling morons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    She got nearly 80 thanks for that tweet. That's nearly 80 people who are dribbling morons.

Twitter is the Rosetta Stone of Internet Stupidity.

Wibbs wrote: »

Ebun joseph is the lefts answer to gemma od, an absolute racist reactionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

the authors name is Jane Ohlmeyer. Ohlmeyer? eh?
    coupled with the Sorcha Pollacks weekly puff pieces on how wonderful foreigners are.... you'd be forgiven for thinking there was an concerted agenda here to brainwash and sh1t on native white people in equal measure.

Advertisement