Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insufferable beer snobs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is there any truth in the rumour you don’t get a hangover from craft beer as there is a lot less crap put into them?

No.

You get hangovers from putting alcohol into your system. Your body thinks it's a poison (it's correct).

You can drink the oldest, highest quality, meticulously brewed, German pilsner and still get a rough one the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd be a fan of super bock, peroni, Alhambra and moretti, does that make me a beer snob?

I’m the same, I don’t remember having Alhambra but the rest of those you find a very consistent pint both draught and indeed of course bottles as expected. They got Peroni on draught in my local about 4/5 years ago. Reps were in a few nights throwing about free pints of the stuff like it was going out of fashion. When the dust settled it was 6.10 a pint.... Heineken 4.30 then 4.50... the Peeroni taps lasted maybe a year and then gone, nobody was buying the stuff. 36.60 vs 25.80 per night.. I’d be out 3 nights a week on average then.

I first discovered super bock on a trip to Lisbon where they were giving the stuff away, 3.10 a pint.

Strumms wrote: »
    I first discovered super bock on a trip to Lisbon where they were giving the stuff away, 3.10 a pint.

Good luck finding it for that price over here though.

I like Peroni, when I'm in Italy. But the last pint of it I had here was in Peter's Pub in town. It cost nearly 7 quid.

That's not happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I’m the same, I don’t remember having Alhambra but the rest of those you find a very consistent pint both draught and indeed of course bottles as expected. They got Peroni on draught in my local about 4/5 years ago. Reps were in a few nights throwing about free pints of the stuff like it was going out of fashion. When the dust settled it was 6.10 a pint.... Heineken 4.30 then 4.50... the Peeroni taps lasted maybe a year and then gone, nobody was buying the stuff. 36.60 vs 25.80 per night.. I’d be out 3 nights a week on average then.

You were had, I paid 80c for a pint of it in Portugal last year. Absolute piss wherever I’ve had it. The stout is ok, well better than Murphy’s.

You were had, I paid 80c for a pint of it in Portugal last year. Absolute piss wherever I’ve had it. The stout is ok, well better than Murphy’s.

Maybe, it was a restaurant, but it a decent enough pint, light and goes well with food. My palate thinks anyway.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »

I like Peroni, when I'm in Italy. But the last pint of it I had here was in Peter's Pub in town. It cost nearly 7 quid.

Fûck, been about 10 years since I was in Peters, 7 quid, jeez.

Fûck, been about 10 years since I was in Peters, 7 quid, jeez.

Yeh Strumms, it's a different place in the last few years. Was always more on the expensive side mind you. But, not having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Not a “craft” beer at all but Baltika is nice, very drinkable. They do a dark beer that is really nice imo.

Yeh Strumms, it's a different place in the last few years. Was always more on the expensive side mind you. But, not having that.

Say three people having pre theater drinks, 3 drinks each, total 9 drinks, 63 euros. If there are 5 groups just averaging 3 people, which could be a conservative guesstimate, that’s 315 euros revenue for serving 15 people in an hour.. bit mad... plus whatever other sundry revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

...even when they're paying 7 euro for a bottle of Wizard's Piss that was brewed last week for 3 euro, in some poncy "establishment" that's laughing at ripping them off.

But you have no issue paying €5.50 for a pint of Guinness that costs €0.12 to brew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Effects wrote: »
    But you have no issue paying €5.50 for a pint of Guinness that costs €0.12 to brew?

You have a source for that statement or just more 'highbrow' arse wind?

I just want to know where can I pick up some of this Wizards Piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yeah, I've tried just about everything in my local off license and I haven't come across this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Well excuse me, OP...!

Hmph!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

And is it double dry hopped?

Deagol wrote: »
    You have a source for that statement or just more 'highbrow' arse wind?

Former Diageo brewer. You are aware of the scale of Diageo's brewing operations, yeah?

Where did I say that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I drink with my father in law quite a bit. He goes on with all this good pint / bad pint stuff from pub to pub, like its different everywhere. Sometimes compares pints in the same pub, out of the same tap, and complains its bad 20 mins after a good one came out of it. He also asks the bar person "is there much of a pour on it today", then considers their response before ordering - which they usually answer here, but gets us some funny looks in the UK where the staff dont give two fcuks about entertaining that type of thing.

He will never be as annoying as a fella who drank in a pub I worked in as a kid. Real posh dub who had a house down the west - he'd stand at the back of the queue, never feeling the need to actually approach the bar, wave a big note in the air and shout repeatedly "three guinea fowl, like a good man".

On the two pour thing, it was always funny to watch the reactions of American tourists when you'd leave the pint to settle. The tension in the air as they stared at it, wondering if you're only going to give them part of their drink, or give it to them at all for that matter. They'd stare at you, and get a blank response. They'd take a step forward, then back down. Finally, able for the tension no more, they reach out for the pint, fingertips close to the glass, just as you shout "WHAT THE **** ARE YA DOING HAVE YA NEVER DRANK A FCUKIN PINT BEFORE"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I would mill porterhouse plain, galway hooker, chieftain ipa and a dozen other craft beers all night and it would not bother me the next day, so would most of the people I drink with. That's the truth. And the last time I was on bud for the night (it was free) I was in such a jock the next day that I considered putting my head down the toilet just to relieve the pain.......

Complete opposite experience with Chieftan. Any more than four and Im not far from the coffin, gets me like no other beer does.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Complete opposite experience with Chieftan. Any more than four and Im not far from the coffin, gets me like no other beer does.

I don't know what's in Chieftain, but doesn't act like a 5.5%. I don't do more than 2 of them these days. They should come with a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭larchielads

Crikey, name and shame it? Reason for asking was my friend frank craft beer in Prague and he said not a hangover no matter how much they drank so just a gentle wonderment.

Are u sure your friend said that, id double check wit your "friend"😜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I don't know what's in Chieftain, but doesn't act like a 5.5%. I don't do more than 2 of them these days. They should come with a warning.

Do they lead to a " second surge"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Same applies to Rebel Red - seems a hell of a lot stronger than 4.3%. I was at a wedding before down in Cork and they had that on tap. Lets just say never again and I hadn't much to drink! It's rocket fuel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

That's be fair, 5.5% is strong enough, especially if you're drinking lots of it and used to stuff like draught Guinness or Heineken which are both around 4.2% IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You're going to be paying north of 6 quid (or more) in a lot of places in town anyway, especially for lager so personally I wouldn't quibble about paying a, little more for something I like better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ripped off :) Don't buy pints of the stuff, tends to warm up quickly in summer. An imperial would cost ya between 90c - 1.20 off the beaten track.

Sagres is the king of beers over there.

Where did I say that? :confused:

Sorry, you just come across like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.
    You moan about people paying more for craft beer, and blame those same people for large multinationals laughing at you, and squeezing even more obscene profit out of you.

Sorry, you just come across like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.
    You moan about people paying more for craft beer, and blame those same people for large multinationals laughing at you, and squeezing even more obscene profit out of you.

No. What I am "moaning" about is the stupidity of some people paying idiot money for rubbish and pretending that it and they are something special. This runs right through the craft beer crowd.

Plus, when other producers see these fucking ejits paying over the odds for a drink, they up their own prices too...hence a pint of Guinness now costing around 5.50 in town...which, for the record, is a ridiculous price.

The knock on effect of these craft beer arseholes is higher prices for everyone.

Yeah, you definitely have a chip on your shoulder.
    Maybe you should aim your anger at the larger producers, or at the publicans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

No. What I am "moaning" about is the stupidity of some people paying idiot money for rubbish and pretending that it and they are something special. This runs right through the craft beer crowd.

Plus, when other producers see these fucking ejits paying over the odds for a drink, they up their own prices too...hence a pint of Guinness now costing around 5.50 in town...which, for the record, is a ridiculous price.

The knock on effect of these craft beer arseholes is higher prices for everyone.

Craft beer is not the reason for the increasing cost of a pint.

Advertisement