Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Have any? I tried messaging you before but you were fill on messages

Sorry about that, I only realised recently that my inbox was full for ages. I don’t have one of them..I’ll have a Prius available soon if that is any use. Freshly tested. Feel free to pm me again if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Sorry about that, I only realised recently that my inbox was full for ages. I don’t have one of them..I’ll have a Prius available soon if that is any use. Freshly tested. Feel free to pm me again if needed.

What year is the prius?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-rover-75-cdi-se-connoisseur-115bhp/25483823

ZTY3MGY5NThlMjc4NzY4ZDBiOGRkNzI2NWNkODMxY2Io7Mf5TG-0XOluxelewBHMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTIzODY4Mjl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NzQ2MTRkZGNlNmQ4NjdhYWVhZTMzZGQ3NTIxZDRiZTIFr6m3PbxnxHAVLSEqhGYvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTIzODY4MzV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

75 diesel connoisseur, NCT and tax til January 2021, two owners, low miles, claims of a good bit of recent maintenance work, €950

Love this. Ad seems very genuine. So rare now, would love one

Was that up here a few months ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2006 vw jetta diesel

1000 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21103041

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Was that up here a few months ago ?

Last change of ownership was October 2005 anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I'm back in the bangernomics territory again. Had an 05 V50 petrol, electrics are toast in it apparently, have it less than a year :(

Mechanic up the road has an 08 avensis strata, 1.6 petrol,175km 2 owners for €1500.

Anything of note to look out for on them. Going to look tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

trixiebust wrote: »
    I'm back in the bangernomics territory again. Had an 05 V50 petrol, electrics are toast in it apparently, have it less than a year :(

Mechanic up the road has an 08 avensis strata, 1.6 petrol,175km 2 owners for €1500.

Not really had an 06 with 300k km up on it earlier this year ran it for 6 months bloody thing was faultless bar being very under powered and the tax will be higher on an 08 i think..

Grand car if your stuck for something reliable to keep you going.

crasy dash wrote: »
    Not really had an 06 with 300k km up on it earlier this year ran it for 6 months bloody thing was faultless bar being very under powered and the tax will be higher on an 08 i think..

Grand car if your stuck for something reliable to keep you going.

Thanks for that. It's what I'm after, happily sacrifice creature comforts for reliability. Tax on the Volvo was €636, afaik the avensis is €500 odd..

Volvo was as slow as a hearse tbh, so used to underpowered cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Thanks for that. It's what I'm after, happily sacrifice creature comforts for reliability. Tax on the Volvo was €636, afaik the avensis is €514.

Volvo was as slow as a hearse tbh, so used to underpowered cars!

I couldn't really fault the one I had it only cost me 400euro it always started and stopped had plenty of room in the front and the rear for the children..
    They are basic enough all right but one the air con works I wouldn't really be complaining about being in one.

Just give it a good going over and you should be fine id nearly guarantee once it's been half taken care previously there should be plenty of life left in it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure it's not on the newer tax system as the 1.6 petrol cost €750 to tax per year on the Co2 system.

• Advertisement

crasy dash wrote: »
    I couldn't really fault the one I had it only cost me 400euro it always started and stopped had plenty of room in the front and the rear for the children..
    They are basic enough all right but one the air con works I wouldn't really be complaining about being in one.

Just give it a good going over and you should be fine id nearly guarantee once it's been half taken care previously there should be plenty of life left in it

Learned the hard way with the V50 the more toys the more to go wrong with it. Mechanic uses it himself for call outs so hopefully he would have noticed if something was wrong.

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

What's the issue with the Volvo?

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    What's the issue with the Volvo?

All was fine until last week FFS. Week before I'd spent €350 on a new wheel bearing & full service. 4 new tyres on it not so long ago too :(

Got a steering wheel locked notification on dash even though it wasn't locked & could be fully turned, that message won't allow any ignition so non starting.

Mechanic electronically started [ think that's the term] but within 2 mins everything shut down.

Now no signal from key it won't even try to turn over anymore, dash is dead. It's parked up in my driveway window half down which won't go up anymore.

9 times out of 10 thats the CEM under the glovebox
    Normally caused by a loose connection if somebody was sitting there with big boots kicking the underside :D

There are 2 clips holding the tray under the glovebox. They are the "turn half way to open" type, no need to fully unscrew. That drops down the CEM which has a load of connectors on it. The simplest solution is normally open each connector and push the plug in tight and reclose the connector. If that doesn't work, the CEM sometimes needs to be removed and cleaned.

Loads of videos on Youtube showing how to access it, but the errors you describe are very typical of what it causes. This video for instance shows how to remove, but even just unclip the bottom clips that he shows in the video, plug in tight, and close the clip again and see if that helps

Actually I just re-watched that. You don't even need to open the screws to try what I am suggesting
    Its so long since I did it, I forgot (had an S40 for almost 3 years!)
    Just unclip the bottom few connectors, push them in firmly and clamp the clips again

Cemclips.jpg

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Actually I just re-watched that. You don't even need to open the screws to try what I am suggesting
    Its so long since I did it, I forgot (had an S40 for almost 3 years!)
    Just unclip the bottom few connectors, push them in firmly and clamp the clips again

Cemclips.jpg

Thanks for that. Tried that yesterday, took the entire thing out & sprayed all the connections with electrical cleaner, still nothing.

There was a slight clicking noise from the CEM compartment yesterday when I tried to start after cleaning connections, stopped after a few seconds though.

Battery is relatively new in it too, now nothing works, can't turn on the radio or anything

Now I get nothing, key doesn't even lock or unlock the thing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Thanks for that. Tried that yesterday, took the entire thing out & sprayed all the connections with electrical cleaner, still nothing.

There was a slight clicking noise from the CEM compartment yesterday when I tried to start after cleaning connections, stopped after a few seconds though.

Battery is relatively new in it too, now nothing works, can't turn on the radio or anything

Now I get nothing, key doesn't even lock or unlock the thing anymore.

Are the interior lights working? Have you run down the battery trying to start it?

Are the interior lights working? Have you run down the battery trying to start it?

Nope no interior lights or exterior lights come on. Don't know if I have run down the battery tbh, & don't know how to check.

Disconnected the battery overnight, still nothing when I reconnected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

94 golf variant, scrape of nct, fairly respectable looking, clutch done in 2018.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25492481

€600ono

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Last change of ownership was October 2005 anyway

Something about that house with the campervan. There have definitely been pics from there before, maybe hes a small dealer so ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I Was VB wrote: »
    94 golf variant, scrape of nct, fairly respectable looking, clutch done in 2018.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25492481

€600ono

I like that a lot it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Tbh it sounds like your battery is absolutely knackered
    A dying battery can cause a lot of electrical issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

https://www.adverts.ie/car/skoda/octavia/2007-skoda-octavia/21101460

Skoda Octavia
    1.6 Petrol
    173,000 kms / 107,497 miles
    Asking 850

Not a bad car for the money, nice colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

bear1 wrote: »
    Tbh it sounds like your battery is absolutely knackered
    A dying battery can cause a lot of electrical issues

Very true. We had a van which had all sorts of electrical gremlins. Turned out the wrong type battery was installed by the previous owner and was also probably getting weak. New battery solved the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Anyone got any thought/advice on this?

I'm looking for a cheap car. I know these diesel engines are fairly good units

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-new-nct-today/25163115

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

carzony wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-new-nct-today/25163115

Petrol alternative

http://www.adverts.ie/21106828

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

gooner99 wrote: »
    Very true. We had a van which had all sorts of electrical gremlins. Turned out the wrong type battery was installed by the previous owner and was also probably getting weak. New battery solved the issues.

This is so common. I bought my Stilo with similar issues for €350. I spotted the wrong battery in it straight away ( about 2/3 the capacity it should have been) Changed it, and all electrical gremlins disappeared, still flying 4 years later.

My wife's Giulietta was similar - stop start wasnt working. Put in the correct AGM battery and it's fine.

@trixibust - pick up a cheap multimeter in Argos or Halfords, you are scrabbling around in the dark trying to diagnose electrical issues without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Great engines. This could get a new NCT from next month if you were prepared to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I know 2 guys with them. They both hate the car because it’s so dull, especially in base spec like the one you posted. But neither can justify getting rid of it because they’ve been bulletproof. If all you want is a cheap set of wheels to get from A to B then it’s perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TychoCaine wrote: »
    I know 2 guys with them. They both hate the car because it’s so dull, especially in base spec like the one you posted. But neither can justify getting rid of it because they’ve been bulletproof. If all you want is a cheap set of wheels to get from A to B then it’s perfect.

What is the difference between the Octavia and the same year Golf? I thought that they were basically the same car, just different badges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement