Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Burglars might be looking out for other stuff to rob these days.

I also noticed a few unlocked bikes outside shops, more than usual, its like people have become more trustworthy during this time, or maybe they are out & about on bikes they bought for exercise years back and do not even have locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bad luck anyway Thargor, horrible feeling.

Will you replace it? Several old beaters have changed hands here in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Recovered by AGS in kilkenny if anyone recognises it.

101007061_582557862390584_5268473843260850176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Cy3bmbzSZUkAX_1pv7p&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=838321da629cd3709ed97ae2a39a0dfd&oe=5EF9F3CF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I found a woman's bike on the road outside my house this morning, in Clontarf.
    If anyone is missing a bike in that area then send me a message to describe it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be an idea to just leave it inside the gates of the garda station?

• Advertisement

I'm slightly mistrusting of the cops. Found an expensive bike years ago and left it in with them. The owner responded to information I'd posted about it, and I told them I'd left it down to the Garda station. Then they couldn't find it at the Garda station when he tried to get it back.

I'm not trying to generalise about the Gardaí. I'm just going on my one experience with leaving a stolen bike into my local Garda station.

Effects wrote: »
    I found a woman's bike on the road outside my house this morning, in Clontarf.
    If anyone is missing a bike in that area then send me a message to describe it.

It would help to post a picture and you can always ask them to confirm the serial number on it.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It would help to post a picture and you can always ask them to confirm the serial number on it.

Didn’t want to post a picture, as then someone who doesn’t own it knows what it looks like, and not that many people know their serial number.

Haven’t had any luck on the local area Facebook groups so I’m just going to drop it down to the Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Some little pr*ck stole my bike from outside my house last night.

I cant for the life of me find the serial number ( and I am annoyed at myself for that )

For what its worth its a LaPierre Trek 200 as the picture says

Ah feck. Nice bike too. Keep an eye on FB groups selling stuff, done deal, and AGS FB for bikes recovered.

Facebook Marketplace is a favourite haunt of bike thieves selling on stuff. Totally unregulated environment. Set up an alert maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Adverts too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

No shortage of offers to help her get sorted with another one which is nice to see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

rubadub wrote: »

That's terrible, I hope he gets it back.

Out of interest, it’s unusual that the bike was stolen so soon after he purchased it.

Did he share it on social media, Strava, Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

should be easy enough to spot if the tyres aren't changes, it looks a bit odd in that configuration.

should be easy enough to spot if the tyres aren't changes, it looks a bit odd in that configuration.

Looks like one of those aftermarket battery kits, hub motor so different wheels. Probably the same setup as the one that caught fire in Dublin last week.

Yeah it's a Carrera Kraken from Halfords. Definitely an aftermarket job. I've seen a few around, oddly all the same bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

2016 Canyon Spectral Full Suspension Mountain Bike, Black Stealth colour. Stolen overnight from home in Sandymount, Dublin, distinctive looking bike not too many of them about if anyone sees it when moving about perhaps you might give a shout out here. Crestfallen young Son at home. Many Thanks

zFa2hw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

An acquaintance of mine had this stolen from his home* in Donnybrook a few weeks ago, and has asked me to post this on here

The frame number is known, and has been reported to the Gardai.
    Trek Rail 9.8 GX, size large, has an AXA front headlight and KLS pedals fitted.

nDy3HqE.jpg

Edit: *opportunistic theft - was left on a car-mounted bike rack for a short time, in view of the road (not a smart move).

For the last two posters who mention "stolen from home" - can you be more specific? e.g. Stolen from inside a locked house, swiped from the garden shed, pinched from the side of the house etc.

Rotten luck both.

At around €7.5k I certainly hope that Trek was kept inside a house. That would be a very bitter pill to swallow and a beauty of a bike. On the upside I can't imagine there are many about.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    For the last two posters who mention "stolen from home" - can you be more specific? e.g. Stolen from inside a locked house, swiped from the garden shed, pinched from the side of the house etc.

Rotten luck both.

In my case the bike was taken in the early hours of Friday morning last. The culprit climbed my bolted and locked side gate the bike was under a weather cover removed that from the bike and made off with the bike. I live in Sandymount. Circa 04:30 a neighbours security camera picked up a white transit type van heading up an adjacent road the "wrong" way (a one way street)

Are you saying your bike was outside your house and unlocked?

Scummy knackers - any chance they could have seen you returning home some day with the bike and "marked" you?

In the back garden locked under a weather cover. I do indeed suspect they knew it was there my young Son who uses the bike more than me, may very well have been seen on it although he hadn't used it in about a week, the bike was purchased for mountain biking in Ticknock, Ballinastoe etc. My own banger of a racer 90's vintage Falcon was unlocked in the same area of the garden they left it, part of me feels highly insulted !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Saw that this morning seems there's two camps fair play to him and now another guy is experiencing what the original owner felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Saw that all over Reddit and a couple of other places, thought it was in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mine was better, meeting the guy selling it on adverts and taking it from him. The look of fear in his face was priceless

Advertisement