Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Another addition to this sad list - Stolen from outside house, Bayside, Dublin 13 ~3pm this sunny monday - Black Specalized Globe 6 with neon-green baby seat under front handlebars - possibly cycled away - if you see the bike or seat dumped please let me know.

OGywgTWl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No I actually wouldn't be pushed either way to be honest I like to think I'm a good judge of character and bought a number of things off regular contributors on here without asking for proof of ownership.

I'd imagine I'm not alone either. Until they actually start dealing out punishments appropriate to the crime committed in every regard then all crime will continue.

If you are a good judge of character, you won't have any problems. If you buy a bike that was stolen, whether intentionally or by being careless about the source, then you will have a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RainyDay wrote: »
    Not sure why they would let him off so easliy - ignorance is no defence, and receiving stolen property is a criminal offence.
    it's not necessarily a crime; ignorance *is* a defence here; it's very specifically defined that knowledge or recklessness is required for the offence to occur:
    17.—(1) A person is guilty of handling stolen property if (otherwise than in the course of the stealing) he or she, knowing that the property was stolen or being reckless as to whether it was stolen, dishonestly—

(a) receives or arranges to receive it, or

(b) undertakes, or assists in, its retention, removal, disposal or realisation by or for the benefit of another person, or arranges to do so.

(2) Where a person—

(a) receives or arranges to receive property, or

(b) undertakes, or assists in, its retention, removal, disposal or realisation by or for the benefit of another person, or arranges to do so,

in such circumstances that it is reasonable to conclude that the person either knew that the property was stolen or was reckless as to whether it was stolen, he or she shall be taken for the purposes of this section to have so known or to have been so reckless, unless the court or the jury, as the case may be, is satisfied having regard to all the evidence that there is a reasonable doubt as to whether he or she so knew or was so reckless.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/print.html#sec17
    the next section, possession of stolen property, is along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

. If you buy a bike that was stolen, whether intentionally or by being careless about the source, then you will have a problem.

Clearly not based on the theft/recovery and outcome mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

You will at least be out the amount you paid for it.

• Advertisement

lgk wrote: »
    You will at least be out the amount you paid for it.

Which is punishment enough imo if you buy a bike genuinely that turned out to be stolen.

On another note.

I saw a bike leaning against a bike stand outside the rotunda locked to nothing but itself. I'd imagine a really nice chap picked it up and carried it home.

I also saw a cube peloton locked directly outside couldn't believe it when I saw someone locking up such a nice looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On another note.

I saw a bike leaning against a bike stand outside the rotunda locked to nothing but itself. I'd imagine a really nice chap picked it up and carried it home.

I also saw a cube peloton locked directly outside couldn't believe it when I saw someone locking up such a nice looking bike.

Unfortunately some people will only learn from experience...

The silver lining is that the scummers are opportunistic. An easy target makes my bike safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Having experienced my bike stolen from my office's first floor balcony and not seen again.

There was another attempted robbery on Monday just gone, 5pm in broad daylight with lots of staff in the office. We caught the burglar trying to cut the lock cable and spoke to him, he jumped off the balcony & ran off before the garda arrived. He was caught by the garda later on.

It goes to show it doesn't matter where or time of the day, they will try and nick your bike.. Keep an eye out for your bikes & ensure you have decent locks.

Which is punishment enough imo if you buy a bike genuinely that turned out to be stolen.
    Not at all imo. This is a fairly minor deterrent, particularly for most commuting bikes, which are going to be sold for €100 or €200.
    You are correct to point out that most buyers or robbers are unlikely to be caught. But that doesn't change the legality or illegality of the action.
    it's not necessarily a crime; ignorance *is* a defence here; it's very specifically defined that knowledge or recklessness is required for the offence to occur:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/print.html#sec17
    the next section, possession of stolen property, is along the same lines.

You seem to have missed the "or being reckless as to whether it was stolen" bit in the legislation. If you have been reckless, ignorance is not a defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Having experienced my bike stolen from my office's first floor balcony and not seen again.

There was another attempted robbery on Monday just gone, 5pm in broad daylight with lots of staff in the office. We caught the burglar trying to cut the lock cable and spoke to him, he jumped off the balcony & ran off before the garda arrived. He was caught by the garda later on.

It goes to show it doesn't matter where or time of the day, they will try and nick your bike.. Keep an eye out for your bikes & ensure you have decent locks.

Be a shame if he (cough) "fell' from that balcony

It must be great to have never made a mistake.

The feckin teflon man here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Had my bike lifted from outside my work at the SuperValu shopping centre in Lucan (Old Superquinn shopping centre) some time between 1.30pm and 5 pm today. Bike is exactly the same as this:

14153856434_d9d1a4d206_z.jpg

Holy margins....
    http://images.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/189/381/466/107834/specialized-allez-sport-c2-2014-road-bike.jpg

Lock is still there in one piece, not sure how they got it out, any help appreciated.
    Need to wait til I get home to get serial no, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

retalivity wrote: »
    Had my bike lifted from outside my work at the SuperValu shopping centre in Lucan (Old Superquinn shopping centre) some time between 1.30pm and 5 pm today. Bike is exactly the same as this:

14153856434_d9d1a4d206_z.jpg

Holy margins....
    http://images.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/189/381/466/107834/specialized-allez-sport-c2-2014-road-bike.jpg

Lock is still there in one piece, not sure how they got it out, any help appreciated.
    Need to wait til I get home to get serial no, etc...

Out if interested, what was your locking method? And what kind of lock?

endacl wrote: »
    Out if interested, what was your locking method? And what kind of lock?

Kryptonite ulock around the right chain stay.
    Was in a rush this morning but sure I didnt just lock it to nothing, was there all morning as I saw it at lunchtime, was gone then between 2 and 5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You seem to have missed the "or being reckless as to whether it was stolen" bit in the legislation. If you have been reckless, ignorance is not a defence.
    the 'if' is the important factor here. if you bought the bike in good faith, you've not been reckless.

the 'if' is the important factor here. if you bought the bike in good faith, you've not been reckless.

The two are not mutually exclusive. You may have 'good faith' but low attention to detail. If you don't ask any or the right questions, and you meet in a pub car park, then you are being reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Pre-emptive post here. Someone's nice shiny new Trek. Locked by cable lock through quick release front wheel near where I work in Dublin City Centre. :eek:

Can't see it staying in the possession of its legal owner for long, sadly. I'd like to think I could track down the owner and warn them of their faulty locking technique. Maybe a note?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

check_six wrote: »
    Pre-emptive post here. Someone's nice shiny new Trek. Locked by cable lock through quick release front wheel near where I work in Dublin City Centre. :eek:

Can't see it staying in the possession of its legal owner for long, sadly. I'd like to think I could track down the owner and warn them of their faulty locking technique. Maybe a note?

Leave a note, or wait for them and use this routine:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

My sister's friend's bike got stolen from Milltown Luas stop today. It's a Giant Dash.
    11009969_10206547688873937_6171861756251646854_n.jpg?oh=2b88798bf5e27830d7d7f3abb93ed762&oe=55CEE790
    Poor old Nancy was stolen at Milltown luas stop today :( My kryptonite lock was angle grinded off and was left. If anyone sees this metallic beauty flying around online or just some twat cycling around on it, please let me know!! #GreatStartToMyExams

https://www.facebook.com/10206547688873937

I've searched this thread before and couldn't find any mention of bikes stolen when they had orange Kryptonites on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

My sister's friend's bike got stolen from Milltown Luas stop today. It's a Giant Dash.
    11009969_10206547688873937_6171861756251646854_n.jpg?oh=2b88798bf5e27830d7d7f3abb93ed762&oe=55CEE790

https://www.facebook.com/10206547688873937

I've searched this thread before and couldn't find any mention of bikes stolen when they had orange Kryptonites on them.

There's pretty good CCTV coverage at Milltown. Can you get access or the Gardai even?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I am afraid they may have cut through the frame... stealing for parts is easier and selling them later is safer...

All any thief really needs is time, the better the lock the more time they need. A luas stop gives the impression that an owner won't be back for awhile. Windy Arbour is like a battlefield strewn with the appendages of fallen bikes.

The orange krytonites are decent but all they really do is make your bike less attractive than the ones with ****tier locks.

The CCTV coverage according to who you ask has no coverage of the bike stands at several locations. If your lucky Milltown might be the exception or they walked in front of one. Best case scenario, the Gardai know who the toe rag is and can call in.

As before keep an eye out on the second hand sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Alek wrote: »
    I am afraid they may have cut through the frame... stealing for parts is easier and selling them later is safer...

Excellent idea ~ when do Aldi/Lidl have their hack saw sales?.. :P

All joking aside I'd have never thought of a bike being stolen like this for a parts sale.. Makes sense with some high-end stuff if the thief knows their bike parts.

it was a €900 bike, without any fancy extras - the frame was probably the most expensive part.

retalivity wrote: »
    it was a €900 bike, without any fancy extras - the frame was probably the most expensive part.

It is unfortunately the most identifiable part as well, not sure how often what Alek is saying happens but it does make alot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd have never thought of a bike being stolen like this for a parts sale

Me neither, until I read about it here: http://humofthecity.com/2012/11/19/stolen/
    The Kryptonite lock was untouched. Both the police and our local bike shop believe that the only possibility is that the MinUte it was stolen by thieves with an angle grinder, who cut the frame, loaded the bike into a van, and took it away to strip it for parts at their leisure. This is unfortunately a familiar story in San Francisco, although it happens more commonly with bikes left overnight.

not sure how often what Alek is saying happens

I hope not a lot. There is no defence against this, except for filling your frame with mustard gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭meercat

If you own a focus lost lagoon near capel street then you need to move it. Caught a scumbag using pole it was attached to to twist lock off. He scarpered off. Guards informed but its still there. Said they would try bring it to station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

As regards bike parts, I still haven't fulfilled my bloody revenge movie style fantasy regarding the bar ends that were nicked off my MTB a few months back.

I did however fulfill my perfectly presentable daydream of just replacing the bars with new ones I bought in a shop.

However, someone out there is living the high life of fur coats and fine wines off the back of my stolen bar ends, and by god, I'll continue to think about gruesome vigilante action for a bit longer yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Alek wrote: »

I hope not a lot. There is no defence against this, except for filling your frame with mustard gas.

Excellent idea.. When is the next Aldi/Lidl Mustard Gas sale?.. :p

Advertisement