Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

callaway92 wrote: »
    Haha ya man - I'm desperate for a game there.

As a Tipp man, it sounds like the Slievenamon of Dublin from what I can gather ;)

What's slievenamon like as a course? I just know it as a place that you could effectively buy a handicap, but I'm sure they've real members as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

blue note wrote: »
    What's slievenamon like as a course? I just know it as a place that you could effectively buy a handicap, but I'm sure they've real members as well.

The course is just not good tbh. Perfect for a beginner. It's never really in great condition (have always had drainage issues and it's too bare)

Yeh they have real members (Dad previously a member there as it suited him working in Clonmel and living in Cahir, and is cheap). Few members from that side of Clonmel (Fethard, Clerihan etc).

LOT of distant members

The course is just not good tbh. Perfect for a beginner. It's never really in great condition (have always had drainage issues and it's too bare)

Yeh they have real members (Dad previously a member there as it suited him working in Clonmel and living in Cahir, and is cheap). Few members from that side of Clonmel (Fethard, Clerihan etc).

LOT of distant members

I actually think low quality gold courses is what we have the biggest lack of in the country. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way - I'm talking about golf courses for casual golfers to join, for people who are interested in taking up the game but don't want to splash out on an expensive club. And ideally these courses would be a bit easy so that the people taking up the game won't be put off it. Nothing like a few pars to make you want to play more.

By low quality I really mean courses that can afford to offer golf at lower prices. I think you'd have to save money on maintenance costs for this, like having fewer and smaller bunkers, modest tee boxes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I actually think low quality gold courses is what we have the biggest lack of in the country. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way - I'm talking about golf courses for casual golfers to join, for people who are interested in taking up the game but don't want to splash out on an expensive club. And ideally these courses would be a bit easy so that the people taking up the game won't be put off it. Nothing like a few pars to make you want to play more.

By low quality I really mean courses that can afford to offer golf at lower prices. I think you'd have to save money on maintenance costs for this, like having fewer and smaller bunkers, modest tee boxes, etc.

Ya man, I have no issues with it whatsoever. Price reflects the quality and they would have no problem admitting that.

It's good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

willabur wrote: »
    Anytime ye or any boardsies want to play it let me know. It's a big help having someone try to explain what lies ahead of you

You a member there Willabur? Recently joined myself after a few years of being a regular visitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭willabur

Felexicon wrote: »
    You a member there Willabur? Recently joined myself after a few years of being a regular visitor

I am indeed, joined this time last year. I really like it but I would like to be able to take the driver out of the bag more than I get to out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Haha ya man - I'm desperate for a game there.

As a Tipp man, it sounds like the Slievenamon of Dublin from what I can gather ;)

You do know it made the top 100 in one of the lists

The reason that it is fabled is because if there is any wind at all then it will break your soul

One of the toughest challenges out there

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Corballis isn’t perfect, but as someone who’s been a member of both (1 year distance member in Royal Shlieve, multiple years in Corballis), they are miles apart in terms of quality! Slievenamon has endless holes up and down a field, with one drain and ditch across the big field being the only real feature on about 12 holes. No features or bunkering of note, all the greens pancake flat.

Corballis is like someone took a top quality top 30 links with great views and some cracking holes, but shortened it massively, threw in about 5 funky/gimmicky holes that have no real place on a links, a couple of unplayable greens (13 & 17) but made it great craic once you get to know it!!

Corballis isn’t perfect, but as someone who’s been a member of both (1 year distance member in Royal Shlieve, multiple years in Corballis), they are miles apart in terms of quality! Slievenamon has endless holes up and down a field, with one drain and ditch across the big field being the only real feature on about 12 holes. No features or bunkering of note, all the greens pancake flat.

Corballis is like someone took a top quality top 30 links with great views and some cracking holes, but shortened it massively, threw in about 5 funky/gimmicky holes that have no real place on a links, a couple of unplayable greens (13 & 17) but made it great craic once you get to know it!!

I agree with you about those two greens! I think they weaken the course. On 13 you might literally not be able to hold the ball within 30 feet of the flag if you're below the hole. And on 17 if you're on the top tier and the flag isn't, it's sometimes not possible to keep the ball on the green. It's all well and good saying that's the challenge, but you're talking about a par three into a massive wind half the time with tiny landing areas, because it's effectively half the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Any idea if corballis allows weekend(specifically sunday) green fees? Gui members

You can play Sundays as a non-member but only after 2-3pm, members only comps are held Sunday mornings.

I joined here in mid May and love it. My first club, just got my handicap (lol 31). Definitely a challenge for any class of golfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Played the open yesterday. Didnt know what to expect after reading about it here.
    Overall i loved it but was very frustrated after a couple of irons on blind par 4s ended up in the heavy stuff. Would feel like a different course after playing it a few times i would say.

Probably the strangest start to any course i have played-hole 1. wedge, putt,putt.(downwind) hole 2. wedge,wedge, putt putt for two pars. Got a bit trickier after that though haha. Definitely one of the more fun courses i have played and will be back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wedge to the first! Played lowest hybrid in the bag and short and seen folk use 3 woods, the changeability of wind and links, different day different course

rossyd2005 wrote: »
    Played the open yesterday. Didnt know what to expect after reading about it here.
    Overall i loved it but was very frustrated after a couple of irons on blind par 4s ended up in the heavy stuff. Would feel like a different course after playing it a few times i would say.

Probably the strangest start to any course i have played-hole 1. wedge, putt,putt.(downwind) hole 2. wedge,wedge, putt putt for two pars. Got a bit trickier after that though haha. Definitely one of the more fun courses i have played and will be back.

I still regularly lose balls that I expect to find on the middle of the fairway. Lost one on the second recently, hit a wedge onto the plateau. I can only assume it caught a massive bounce and jumped into the rough before the valley. 3rd hole is another that can kill you like this. You could hit the middle of the fairway and it could roll off the fairway to the left or right hand side. It's hard to know where to look if it's not where you expect to find it.

I've also lost balls that I assumed would be on high on the green too. Obviously I'll check the hole just in case, but sadly haven't found one there yet.

And club selection on the first can be crazy. For a front left flag with the wind you could be cutting down a gap wedge. For a back right flag against the wind you could be hitting a four iron. And your round will continue like that. On 17 into a wind I've been short having nailed a driver and 3 Wood. And I've been 15 feet short of the green with a drive when the course was at it's driest and the ball was running forever.

I'm about 40 rounds in at this stage and I don't know if I'll ever be used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

On 17 into a wind I've been short having nailed a driver and 3 Wood. And I've been 15 feet short of the green with a drive when the course was at it's driest and the ball was running forever.

It's some par 3 for sure.... knowing the rights clubs around there is tough but you should know the holes at this stage :)

PARlance wrote: »
    It's some par 3 for sure....

16, sorry! I haven't quite taken out a driver yet on 17. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been the right club, but I haven't done it yet.

The wind changes it every single day out there which is what makes it a challenge. You have to be on short grass if you want to score as the rough is so penal - especially now with a bit of growth. I do think that because it is a short course with small targets it doesn't play like a traditional bump and run links. There are some holes where you can try to keep the ball under the wind but on a lot of holes that will not do you any good. It forces you to play alot of different shots, full/half/knockdowns/punches/fades/draws. When its calm (rare) you can overpower the course - I suspect that was the case with the 58 that was shot there (front tees), I played the day after and posted my own personal best score there

God, out of 135 players on Sunday, not one parred or birdied the index 1 3rd. Only 18 had bogies. 33 had doubles or worse and 84 scratched.

On a calm day that hole is really tough. But any sort of weather and it must be one of he must difficult in Ireland.

God, out of 135 players on Sunday, not one parred or birdied the index 1 3rd. Only 18 had bogies. 33 had doubles or worse and 84 scratched.

On a calm day that hole is really tough. But any sort of weather and it must be one of he must difficult in Ireland.

Sunday was particularly atrocious

slave1 wrote: »
    Wedge to the first! Played lowest hybrid in the bag and short and seen folk use 3 woods, the changeability of wind and links, different day different course

Im in love with this place now.Off work so went down again today to play the open at an hours notice. Only a light breeze today. The stars aligned,41pts. 72 gross.Wont be enough for a win but its not about winning. Is it?

Im in love with this place now.Off work so went down again today to play the open at an hours notice. Only a light breeze today. The stars aligned,41pts. 72 gross.Wont be enough for a win but its not about winning. Is it?

You might get a big cut with that

Last time I played visitors css was 33. I had 33. Was raging

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You might get a big cut with that

Last time I played visitors css was 33. I had 33. Was raging

I didnt know there was different css for visitors and members but either way a cut is a good thing. Single figures is my goal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

It certainly was enough for a win. Great shooting, well done!!

dk1982 wrote: »
    It certainly was enough for a win. Great shooting, well done!!

Thanks,just saw the results and i won. Delighted with that and cut .8 so a great start to competition golf this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Played the usual Friday Open Singles early this morning.

If there are better links putting surfaces anywhere else in the country I'd love to hear it. These are superb.

mjsc1970 wrote: »

If there are better links putting surfaces anywhere else in the country I'd love to hear it. These are superb.

Its the one thing Carr golf excel at

Sensibly running a business and finding a happy medium between keeping members happy and making profits just isnt

What do the members think of the rating and slope assigned to the course??

Listened to the Rick Shiels podcast on WHS. Sounds like the course condition measurement will be very similar to CONGU CSS calc so you guys are gonna have a lot of CSS 33 equavalent

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭rooney30

mjsc1970 wrote: »

Every links course in the countries top 10 rankings will have superior greens to Corballis . Purely because they have the money to invest in the expertise required to maintain their putting surfaces at the level demanded by the American market . That’s not to say that as links greens Corballis are not good , I’m sure they are very good but most likely not at the top top links level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Its the one thing Carr golf excel at

Sensibly running a business and finding a happy medium between keeping members happy and making profits just isnt

Corballis had great greens long before Carr Golf arrived there.
    8th was always a bit softer than the others.

rooney30 wrote: »
    Every links course in the countries top 10 rankings will have superior greens to Corballis . Purely because they have the money to invest in the expertise required to maintain their putting surfaces at the level demanded by the American market . That’s not to say that as links greens Corballis are not good , I’m sure they are very good but most likely not at the top top links level

I played narin and portsalon last week. I know narin is a bit new, but corballis greens were the best of the three.

• Advertisement

What do the members think of the rating and slope assigned to the course??

Listened to the Rick Shiels podcast on WHS. Sounds like the course condition measurement will be very similar to CONGU CSS calc so you guys are gonna have a lot of CSS 33 equavalent

I could be misunderstanding the rankings, but as I understand it corballis is essentially ranked as very easy. Of all the ones I checked it looks like the one everyone will have the lowest handicap on.

On the really windy days I've seen mid 20s win competitions. I can't imagine there'll be any adjustment in the new system to reflect conditions that difficult?

But overall, I reckon it is a very easy course relative to others for a lot of golfers. The fact that it is so short was always going yo lead to a very easy ranking. But the majority of golfers are quite old and distance is a huge factor for them. A 380m par 4 might be a driver, 7 iron to a lot of us, but it can be a driver 3 wood to older golfers. So even with the small greens and danger everywhere, it might still be a better course to pick up a good score on for most golfers.

For me I reckon I'm going to have a very high handicap index as a result of this. I find it very difficult relative to others so if I'm putting in a lot from +15 to +25 on an east course that'll lead to a high handicap index. And I reckon I'll find away courses much easier to put in good scores on.

Advertisement