Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you enjoyed working from home?

• 17-07-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I'm not doing it myself, but i've been curious about the experience of those who have. The pros & cons and possibility of it being brought in as either a full or part time feature of particularly office work? or even liklihood of any of that happening? i'm sure there's things i haven't even thought about that people are either hating or loving about the situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I hate it. No structure, I need routine.
    ****e WiFi and no colleagues to interact with.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭doc22

No! Love having a separation between work and home. Getting out of house a plus too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Not really. I had no problem being fully productive in the office so no change there. I chose not to work from home unless I needed to be at home for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would like it 2-3 days a week. The other 2 in the office would be good for the social interaction.

Honestly though on the flipside my company froze wage increases and cancelled bonuses and every staff member is busier than ever. Working 12 hour days regularly for nothing extra except hitting deadlines. That saps the morale fairly lively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Like most people, I’m missing the social aspect but not missing the commute. Probably saving 10-12 hours per week (plus about €200 in travel costs per month), which is really rich time - breakfast with the missus and preparing dinner together, having it out of the way early and spending our evening together or doing what we want.

Likely will look for a part time return to the office, a “best of both worlds”. The business is operating fine with folks at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Working at home is good!
    Working at home during a pandemic...... not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭yessiryes

Very much so. No commute, no dragging kids out of bed at crazy hours of the morning to do multiple drops offs. No paying for parking etc. For me there are no downsides bar needing a better desk and chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mr.S wrote: »
    I like it. I miss the social interaction and being able to pop over to chat to a colleague vs having to call / IM them for small mundane things.

When we return to the office, it will be on a voluntary basis going forward. General consensus is that most people will go to the office 1 or 2 days a week and WFH the rest. Suits everyone all round.

Same feelings for me, missing the social interaction.

We don't know when we will be back in the office (not before September anyway) but similar to Mr. S case, my employer looks to prioritise people that really need to be in the office. Personally I expect to be one of the last people to go back in the office as in my current role I primarily work with coilleagues from other countries - so I don't really need to be in the office, 1-2 days per week would do just fine and it would give me a social interaction boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

Can only give wifes opinion as I'm in work, shes home since 12th March, took some time but loves it now, got her set up with desk and office chair, she brought home her large monitor and laptop dock, shes loving it now,

communte and petrol saving are big, time wise 25mins mornings, 45/55mins evening, we have noticed increased ESB bill
    and I'm expecting gas to go up come winter when at home more. Shes confirmed home till at least end of this year with review due then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭daheff

yes. don't miss stupid commutes or toxic workplace.

will enjoy it more when kids go back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Working from home myself since march but for the last three weeks doing two days in the office.

Not gonna lie I was getting crazy lazy at home. To the point where I knew I had to put a stop to it. So when the job sent a survey saying who'd like to go back I said sure.

I love working from home. No long traffic journeys. You get up out of bed and you're ready to go. That said working two days a weeks helps. Get the bigger things done and then relax a bit more for the rest at home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dont like working from home at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

As someone said recently on the radio we are not working from home we are living in work.

It has good points and bad.

Good
    No commuting
    Saving money on commuting, random lunches/coffees/pints after work
    No BS talk in staff room when you're in bad form
    Able to go for good runs and walks any time you want (mostly!)
    More time to read/catch up with friends or housework etc.

Bad
    Little interaction with people
    Zoom meetings are horrendous and can be too long and boring
    No life/work split
    Being 'on' all the time particularly with parents who work in the AM and then after 7PM when their kids are gone to bed and I am suddenly going to have to help with stuff
    Not as much facetime with people means you don't learn as much

It's a mixed bag. I can see a hybrid blended work space being important for the future. Both have issues but both have benefits. The days of 9-5 and Mon-Fri is on its last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am not a fan, I actually find i have too much time in the day now.

normal working

30-40 min commute both ways, loved it, listened to a podcast happy out. Then I would get home around 6-6:30 catch up with the wife stick on dinner for around 7 or so then clean up and watch a movie maybe or a bit of tv, I was fairly active with playing footie a few nights a week.

WFH
    up around half 8 straight to work, go for a run at lunch to get away from desk and as footie is on hiatus, finish around half 5 just potter around as too early for dinner and nothing to really discuss with wife as both here all day, both have already been active during the day so trying to fill the day up as you have nearly 3 hours more than you originally had.

I would like to return for 2/3 days the way most are saying. I also think it ruins creativity as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.

I've lost my dining table to my work computer.

Everything takes longer to do. If someone's computer malfunctions, getting them a replacement is work, instead of just telling them to sit at another desk.

Last week I was on annual leave. But my phone kept ringing anyway, cos the company have decided to be mobile by diverting desk phones to personal mobiles.

The definition of insanity is thousands of office workers from all over the country, ALL making their way towards Dublin City Centre and surrounding suburbs to go to work and do a job that can be done from their house.

3 hour commutes for people just outside Dublin. Bumper to bumper traffic. Multiple crashes a day on the M50. Environment getting destroyed.

Working from home has its disadvantages. But it is a much better alternative than what we had before.

I’m sure other workers that can’t work from home also benefit from the quieter roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Yes yes i have

Any day where i don't have to deal with

"were sorry to annouce that the 17:51 dart service to malahide is running approximately 14 mins late due to our ineptitude"

Is a good day!

Long may it continue :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

No.

Last week I was on annual leave. But my phone kept ringing anyway, cos the company have decided to be mobile by diverting desk phones to personal mobiles.

That's not the company's fault, that's yours

Don't blame IT either

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It depends what day of the week you ask me

At the start I hated it I hadn’t a proper desk or room to use as an office work blended into home life, partner was at home too with nothing to do so it made things tough.

Now though I’ve converted the box room into a full on office, proper sit/stand desk, fully ergonomic chair, work phone stays in this room, I leave the room at 5-5:30 and go straight for a 3-5k walk. I also close the door over when on calls and that lets my partner know I can’t be disturbed.

It has been a tough transition, and working from home through a pandemic is in no way comparable to regular working from home.

I’m lucky though, lucky that I have a spare room, lucky that I’ve an understanding work team (none of this working all hours or being chained to a phone), lucky I have no kids, lucky I have a partner that understands that when I’m in work I’m in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I've loved it, saving 2 hours a day on a commute is such a huge bonus in life.

Hopefully work sees it the same way, I've been happy to work later/start earlier given the time savings so hopefully they can see the benefit in not having people run out the door for a train/bus instead of finishing something

Possibly off topic, but the biggest challenge of work in general right now is that we have very little release.

It’s very hard to just stroll into a restaurant and get a seat. No pubs open. Need to queue and mask up to go into a shop. Travel abroad is frowned upon and not possible to lots of destinations.

We are expected to work as normal but restricted from enjoying ourselves outside work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think those that live to work are happier in their office - it fills an important part of their life.

Those that work to live are happier at home - work is a necessary inconvenience to their day.

Nothing wrong with either camp. Different strokes and all that.

I'd be in the second camp. I'd gladly work from home all the time. I don't miss any aspect of being in the office - the travel, the time, the people, the office infrastructure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Going to the office is such a colossal waste of time.

Really resent not being given the option going forward (apart from the blindingly obvious health concerns), and I'll be bearing it in mind in job searches. Sooner rather than later, because working from home has suited me perfectly

I find pretty soul destroying to be in the same space every day, and I’m definitely much less productive and getting less so as the weeks go by. Can’t wait to get back for the 3 days a week in the office I was doing before COVID.

A little table in the corner of the same room in which I relax and watch TV and read, compared to a bright office with an adjustable desk, at which I can stand, with three screens (and a nice view over the city). Though the office is, admittedly, only a 15 minute cycle away, so no commuting considerations.

No comparison for me, and the latest is that we should be back from September and will be able to cater for the return for all those that want to go back.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think those that live to work are happier in their office - it fills an important part of their life.

I completely disagree. For me it is the opposite. I have always felt strongly that work should not encroach on home life. I work from home when I know I have an offline desk day, and would normally do that from a coffee shop. At night I leave my laptop at work and turn off my phone.

Work / life separation is important to me and that can’t be achieve in a 100% WFH situation in my personal experience

Edit: I actually find your assumption that all people who go to the office have a ‘live to work’ mentality a little bit insulting

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Saving 90 minutes per day and working as a dev. Don't ever want to go back to be honest.

Un1corn wrote: »
    Saving 90 minutes per day and working as a dev. Don't ever want to go back to be honest.

Commuting would be the deal breaker. We have 30 offices around the world and I saw the results of the staff surveys re. desire to return to the office. The results are almost perfectly correlated with the average commuting time. New York, London and Mumbai and Sydney nobody wants to go back. Amsterdam, Stockholm, various smaller US cities, almost everyone wants to go back. Dublin is in the middle, and at an individual staff level it’s those that walk / cycle / scooter who want to return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭KaneToad

woody22 wrote: »
    I completely disagree. For me it is the opposite. I have always felt strongly that work should not encroach on home life. I work from home when I know I have an offline desk day, and would normally do that from a coffee shop. At night I leave my laptop at work and turn off my phone.

Work / life separation is important to me and that can’t be achieve in a 100% WFH situation in my personal experience

Edit: I actually find your assumption that all people who go to the office have a ‘live to work’ mentality a little bit insulting

Maybe you should read what I wrote again.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've loved it.

I've saved money on petrol, cut 14 commuting hours out of my week, work-wise I'm able to do the vast majority of my role with no difficulty.

It will probably end once the office reopens but I'd love a balance of maybe one or two days a week in the office and the rest working from home.

Advertisement