Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

Cork981 wrote: »
    It’s clearly not an unfounded claim though, I’ve seen multiple users experiencing serious congestion on Siro with Vodafone in Cork earlier in the year while other operators like Digiweb was flawless in the same neighbourhood.

It’s mainly resolved now but still get the odd speed drop every now and then.

One factor is Vodafone launched and sold Siro around Cork City rapidly last year and offered the 1GB package for €20 year a month for 6 months and blew other operators out of the water.

That’s a hell load of traffic suddenly routing through the Vodafone network. Along with >300k rural houses that can now access 1GB speeds on the OpenEir network.

Vodafone have a customer base of nearly 290000 subscribers. An anecdote about a localised issue in Cork is not really evidence of a nationwide issue.

The Siro gigabit promotion was offered by all providers but Vodafone probably would have received the majority of sign-ups.

The vast majority of rural FTTH subscribers are with Eir's retail arm so that doesn't really stack up either.

Is anyone keeping track of which exchange areas are currently being fitted out with FTTH?

When the FTTC rollout was going on there seemed to be way more info, both unofficially on boards and elsewhere, but also from OpenEir itself.

For example, it looks like the area served by Quaker Road, a pretty large exchange on the South (inner) side of Cork City appears to be getting fibre rolled out, but I haven't seen it anywhere else in the city yet.

It's not public information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Grnsj wrote: »
    It's not public information.

Seems a bit pointless not to make it so. They did when they were rolling out FTTC and it created considerable interest in the products and probably drove sign ups.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Seems a bit pointless not to make it so. They did when they were rolling out FTTC and it created considerable interest in the products and probably drove sign ups.

I definitely agree with this. FTTH is also incredibly poorly advertised. I've seen people in FTTH rural areas order Imagine long after the FTTH rollout was completed in their area.

My local town of Dunshaughlin has been enabled for FTTH since January and there is absolutely no advertising whatsoever for it, unless you are actively looking for FTTH and start using availability checkers, most have no idea that the service is available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

ED E wrote: »
    You're using the wrong figure, thats US. DS is 2.4Gbps per strand. Contended at 32/31:1 but really it depends on how much they're willing to sell it. Not seen that specified anywhere.

A single cust can only pull around 960Mb but I think a "fair" guesstimate of a busy strand would be 28 subs connected (few will fill all ODPs as some will be over subbed and some under) so giving a CDR of about 85Mb down. Doesnt look too bad if they're all on 150Mb pacakges. If they're all on 1G then it looks a bit weaker.

In practice for the next 5 or 6 years the OLT per port capacity won't be the issue, itll be the ops core. Look at the problems some VF FTTH users are reporting at the moment. Huge contention deeper into the network.

We’re in a 14 house cul de sac, and our cabinet is at the start of our row.
    Does that mean our highest contention ratio is 14:1?
    Or is it more to do with the cable coming from the exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

Soarer wrote: »

From what i can gather, it is from that cabinet. the cable from there goes direct to the exchange, but the split happens closer to the user... mind you, i live in a housing estate, and its there is a main road though the estate, and off the main road is cul-de-sacs. im down one of those, and there is about 20 hours on that road. the main split (in the ground) seems to be at the top of the road, and the main fiber runs down the main drag of the estate. there are houses down the main drag too... so it could be that that split covers the 20 houses down the road, plus another 5-10 on the main drag... YMMV...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

so after KN/Eir surveying my road a few weeks ago there are guys here today blowing ducting down the road

assume another crew comes along to blow the fibre down this line and string them off on top of the poles along with the black distribution boxes?

in a NBI area... but this is eir IFN rollout

wonder how long from this stage does it take for being connectable?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

BArra wrote: »
    so after KN/Eir surveying my road a few weeks ago there are guys here today blowing ducting down the road

assume another crew comes along to blow the fibre down this line and string them off on top of the poles along with the black distribution boxes?

in a NBI area... but this is eir IFN rollout

wonder how long from this stage does it take for being connectable?

They did all the fibre here in April and ran it on to the pole and left it coiled. Still coiled on the poles today.

Ugh.... just got off the phone with Eir fulfulment, and they are now telling me, after ordering back in Feburary/March that my order has been canceled cause "Fiber is not in the area any more"... works have been canceled... Well, F**k you Eir... F**k you and the horse you rode in on... pretty sh***y service you got there... </rant>

So, looks like they have properly changed the roll out here... Airewire still show as 1gb available in the area, but vodafone and eir's site show 100mb/s VDSL max available... someone royally f**ked up when installing...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Soarer wrote: »

PON has nothing to do with cabs (bar cabs that are mini exchanges in villages), the cables may route under a cab but they just pass it. So a strand hitting your street could have been split before the cab or it could be dedicated to your street. No way to know.

• Advertisement

can anyone confirm if its the same black dp that gets installed at the top of the poles or is it different for urban rollout?

secondly will they do overhead fiber line to your house from nearest pole or do you need ducting from property to pole? we have existing copper cable from pole to gable unused if this makes any difference?

The FTTC cabinets are just for VDSL. OpenEir has both spare fibre capacity already laid on to those (done during the original build with FTTH in mind) and ducts.

They can bring in fibre straight from the exchange, more like the topology or the old voice copper networks. They don’t need active equipment in street cabinets at all. It’s actually a much less visible setup.

The only reason FTTC is has cabinets was to get the DSLAMs (DSL equipment) spliced into the copper junction cabinets as close to end users as possible to get speeds over short runs of copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

can anyone confirm if its the same black dp that gets installed at the top of the poles or is it different for urban rollout?

secondly will they do overhead fiber line to your house from nearest pole or do you need ducting from property to pole? we have existing copper cable from pole to gable unused if this makes any difference?

The DP is underground if cables are ducted, otherwise it's on the pole. If existing line is underground, it goes underground. If it's from a pole, it goes overhead.

The DP is underground if cables are ducted, otherwise it's on the pole. If existing line is underground, it goes underground. If it's from a pole, it goes overhead.

thanks for that, i think it was just plastic ducting they were pushing through ducting yesterday, dont think any fiber inside of it so maybe another crew comes along to push the fiber through the ducting?

no DPs installed yet as far as i know

Here is a DP put on the pole in the last few days (this one isn't fixed fully but the one across the road is).

hX3n9Rzm.jpg

The cable was just spooled on the pole (badly) for a couple of months previous to this.

didnt somebody say earlier in this thread that the urban rollout were using different DPs which are white ?

thanks for that, i think it was just plastic ducting they were pushing through ducting yesterday, dont think any fiber inside of it so maybe another crew comes along to push the fiber through the ducting?

no DPs installed yet as far as i know

Techniques involved are very similar to this. You lay microducts first and then 'blow' in fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

didnt somebody say earlier in this thread that the urban rollout were using different DPs which are white ?

The underground DP in my estate (urban rollout) is black, not sure about the ones on poles though

Someone who evidently does not know what they are talking about. They are using the same black distribution points.

The process can take a while because the ducting crew is separate from the underground cabling crew which is separate from the overhead cabling crew which is separate from the splicing crew. They all might turn up in short order but more likely there will be weeks in between each visit.

Im def in an urban rollout area anyway

• Advertisement

took a snap while they had one manhole open

blueish tinge duct cable
    black/yellow duct cable

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Latro

9rQsWL.png

Latro wrote: »
    9rQsWL.png

Interesting.... ipv6 address included.... what about v4 or is it CGNAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Latro

lotas wrote: »
    Interesting.... ipv6 address included.... what about v4 or is it CGNAT?

It is speed test of my newly installed FTTH 1Gb connection.

Small village 20km away from Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't find that fast speedtest website reliable at all. I've yet to see a speed higher than 510 from that site, whereas on speedtest.net I get generally between 600 and 900.

Fast.com is run by Netflix, so it will depend on ISP and what endpoint your hitting. other interesting site for testing is https://speed.cloudflare.com.

took a snap while they had one manhole open

blueish tinge duct cable
    black/yellow duct cable

crew out today to replace telephone pole, no other work done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ballinasloe a couple of days ago. Thought it might be NBI related but contractor accompanied by Eir & KN techs. Possibly urban rollout work. Blowing in fibre heading back towards the exchange.

521629.JPG
    521628.JPG

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Our installation pricing for FTTH has also been changed.

• Advertisement

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

Just checked and my EirCode shows that 1Gb/s will be available soon... I had an order in with Eir Business since March, and it was canceled last month (they said it was not going to be availabe, full stop...) but your site is showing "Available soon"... Do you know something I dont?

Advertisement