Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok so rang vodafone to get broadband in and received modem in post and all. They said yeah all is good to go for 80mbps and given date for engineer's visit.

Eir then ring to say yes the area im in I have fibre to cabinet but not fibre to the home which vodafone seemed to have ignored and that I need to contact them about this.

So then am I right in saying Eir can't do anything and I actually can't get broadband after all?

Sounds like you are in the wrong thread here, sort of.

So it sounds like you can get VDSL from Eir/Vodafone, but not Eir FTTH, which is a different product.

VDSL is Broadband and it sounds like you can get 80mb/s from it (though you should double check), which is pretty good for VDSL.

However you can't get FTTH, which would offer speeds of up to 1Gb/s (1,000mb/s). Eir can't do anything about this until FTTH is rolled out in your area, which could take years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone with Eir FTTH, what speeds are you getting using a wireless connection in the home.

Don't want estimates, ideally real life examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in the wrong thread here, sort of.

So it sounds like you can get VDSL from Eir/Vodafone, but not Eir FTTH, which is a different product.

VDSL is Broadband and it sounds like you can get 80mb/s from it (though you should double check), which is pretty good for VDSL.

However you can't get FTTH, which would offer speeds of up to 1Gb/s (1,000mb/s). Eir can't do anything about this until FTTH is rolled out in your area, which could take years.

Well in furtherance to that, I rang KLN who install these things. These engineers/contractors have the local knowledge and it's my understanding you don't have a choice with them, they're the guys and whatever they says goes.

KLN are the final piece in the jigsaw they said, it's FTTH only in my area. Their offices informed me of this, so i done the circle again.

Office rang me even offered me up the chance to double check with providers to change it from FTTC to FTTH.

But no matter how good the sell, all that's coming up with the providers is FTTC. I'm sure it does what it says but not available for me by the sounds of it

Don't know where i go from here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone with Eir FTTH, what speeds are you getting using a wireless connection in the home.

Don't want estimates, ideally real life examples.

That’s going to depend on your wireless access point and wireless client regardless of your FTTH speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Rew wrote: »
    That’s going to depend on your wireless access point and wireless client regardless of your FTTH speeds.
    And that’s before you even get into the other variables with the house. Walls etc

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, so with Virgin...get speeds of about 210 odd wireless. I have Google WiFi and have read here that it's tricky to get working with eir FTTH.

Wondering if it is worth the pain to switch.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Was just onto Eir via chat, and asked them what the contention ratio is on their 1gb FTTH package. They said 1:1. Would that be right?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Soarer wrote: »
    Was just onto Eir via chat, and asked them what the contention ratio is on their 1gb FTTH package. They said 1:1. Would that be right?

Contention is a completely meaningless number. If they told you it was 4:1, would you have cheerfully accepted a gigabit package that never got above 250Mb/s?

Fibre networks are built and dimensioned to avoid congestion. Contention ratios just aren't a thing at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Does anybody know how many wireless devices can connect to the fibre router before it freaks out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey all, my sister just got Fibre installed today, I asked her to send me a screenshot of her speeds from Fast.com

She ran the test off her phone, in the same room as the router (but wireless). Shes only getting 35Mb down.

I asked her did the engineer say anything and she did mention he said "that the levels were quite high here, slightly above eir standard but shouldnt effect her" Any idea what that means re. Levels? Not a term I heard before and shes not tech savy so hadnt a clue what he was talking about while he was installing.

She signed up for the 150Mb package with VF FTTH so I would have expected speeds of around 100Mb. 35Mb definitely seems too low even off wireless or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Levels have nothing to do with it. If the levels get too low, she won't have a connection, that's it.

With FTTH it either works, or it doesn't. There is no degradation in speed based on distance or light levels.

First of all, testing from a mobile phone is nonsense. Testing over WiFi is nonsense. And Fast.com is probably the worst test to pick. All three combined, that test was set up to fail. Plus she could have been connected to 2.4 GHz, which won't perform anyhow.

ALWAYS test with a computer or laptop connected by cable and use speedtest.net. Preferable the Carlow or Galway servers, as they are known to have the capacity to deal with FTTH connections.

Also ... you said Fibre .. is it FTTH ? or is it FTTC/VDSL, what Eir call eFibre ? If it's the latter, speeds could be that low.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Marlow wrote: »
    Levels have nothing to do with it. If the levels get too low, she won't have a connection, that's it.

With FTTH it either works, or it doesn't. There is no degradation in speed based on distance or light levels.

First of all, testing from a mobile phone is nonsense. Testing over WiFi is nonsense. And Fast.com is probably the worst test to pick. All three combined, that test was set up to fail. Plus she could have been connected to 2.4 GHz, which won't perform anyhow.

ALWAYS test with a computer or laptop connected by cable and use speedtest.net. Preferable the Carlow or Galway servers, as they are known to have the capacity to deal with FTTH connections.

Also ... you said Fibre .. is it FTTH ? or is it FTTC/VDSL, what Eir call eFibre ? If it's the latter, speeds could be that low.

/M

Yep I know testing over WiFi isnt ideal and fast.com was the easiest for her to get on to without searching for speedtest on her phone and downloading the app etc etc.

Anyways really just wanted to see what sort of speeds were expected over Wifi on a FTTH connection.

Its FTTH I mentioned that above. Anyways she sent me on a few more tests after and eventually downloaded Speedtest. Speeds now as I expected over Wifi shes hitting ~100Mb. Cheers :)

joe123 wrote: »
    Anyways really just wanted to see what sort of speeds were expected over Wifi on a FTTH connection.

That's a question that gets asked a lot around here, and it will never have a meaningful answer. It's a literal "how long is a piece of string" question.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's a question that gets asked a lot around here, and it will never have a meaningful answer. It's a literal "how long is a piece of string" question.

Got it but is there an average for gigabyte broadband using it wirelessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

i have 300 package , right now im 2M from the router , connected on wifi , (5ghz) and im getting 280 down , 48 up .
    however in the room 20M away im getting 50 down and 20 up ...

there is no average .

only way to guage connection speed is as as Marlow said above .

and
    It's a literal "how long is a piece of string" question.

John mac wrote: »
    i have 300 package , right now im 2M from the router , connected on wifi , (5ghz) and im getting 280 down , 48 up .

there is no average .

only way to guage connection speed is as as Marlow said above .

and
    It's a literal "how long is a piece of string" question.

Thanks, its just previously someone said I'd barely get more than the 220 odd I get with Virgin normal BB (so less than a quarter of the gigabyte broadband I looked at with eir that made no sense as a % of the possible max speed).

Nope.
    Thanks, its just previously someone said I'd barely get more than the 220 odd I get with Virgin normal BB (so less than a quarter of the gigabyte broadband I looked at with eir that made no sense as a % of the possible max speed).

It's nothing to do with percentages. If you're expecting to get (say) 50% of your wired speed wirelessly, then you could plug a wireless router into a 100Gb/s connection and get 50Gb/s on a speed test on your phone.

It's about variables. How good is the radio in the router? How good is the radio in your phone? How good is the network stack in your phone? Is your phone trying to do something else that's taking CPU cycles away from the speed test? What's your signal strength? What's your signal quality? How much multipath is there in the radio link, and is it the useful kind or the destructive kind? What speed test platform are you using? How capable is the server you're testing against? And that's just scratching the surface.

It literally is a "how long is a piece of string" question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alpha2003_

Are these markings broadband related or water/power?

alpha2003_ wrote: »

Doesn't look like what they did for fibre around me for the last few months. We just had very simple markings in blue indicating where ducts were blocked. If I was guessing that looks more like county council repair work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 alpha2003_

Rew wrote: »
    Doesn't look like what they did for fibre around me for the last few months. We just had very simple markings in blue indicating where ducts were blocked. If I was guessing that looks more like county council repair work.

Its all over my estate, from what I remember Eir telling me all the current cables are direct buried (no ducting at all) so hopefully they’re putting some new ducting down

Its all over my estate, from what I remember Eir telling me all the current cables are direct buried (no ducting at all) so hopefully they’re putting some new ducting down

They are doing my whole town ATM, did my little estate back in April. They came along and opened their manholes and tried to feed through to the next. When they hit a block they put a simple mark on the path. They came back a day later and dug up the blocked sections. All the blocked sections, coincidentally, were the ones that were dug up and put down by Irish Water/GMC at the end of last year.

2+ months on none of the cables are terminated they are just spooled on the poles and swinging in the wind. They are still digging and routing else where in he town though.

You will know who it is anyway, KN do the work and put up signs explaining what they are doing. Honestly though those makings look like CC repair work.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

In my area nearly all the markings related to broadband were on the access covers with eir (or any of its previous names Eircom, P&T, etc.) on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭lotas

Soarer wrote: »

No... sounds iffy... from what i can gather, there are 2 types of FTTH from Eir... GPON and XSGPON. GPON, old style and mostly (from what i can gather) stuff installed last year and before, has a total of about 1Gb/s to distribution box (seems to be probably 1.25Gb/s give or take). That is then split, IIRC, 32:1. 1 of those is for testing, so a max of about 31 customers "share" that 1.25Gb/s link... XSGPON, on the other hand, is 10Gb/s to an area, but it is split 64:1, again with 1 for a test link...

So, random numbers:

GPON:
    * assuming 1.25Gb/s, minimum possible speed, across 31 users, is 40Mb/s down. that's if everyone of those 31 links are used at full wack...
    * max of 1Gb/s possible, if no one is using the system...
    XSGPON:
    * assuming 10Gb/s, minimum possible speed, across 63 users, 158Mb/s. This is closer to the minimum speed they offer, and will probably be the sweet spot for most users (150, 300 and 1Gb options, would think a lot of people will go for 150 or 300mb/s).

This is based on a info from the Open Eir technical handbook:

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/NGA-Technical-Handbook-V22_0-Marked-220120.pdf

And i found other bits from around boards here too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

John mac wrote: »

update:- now getting 480 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lotas wrote: »
    No... sounds iffy... from what i can gather, there are 2 types of FTTH from Eir... GPON and XSGPON. GPON, old style and mostly (from what i can gather) stuff installed last year and before, has a total of about 1Gb/s to distribution box (seems to be probably 1.25Gb/s give or take). That is then split, IIRC, 32:1. 1 of those is for testing, so a max of about 31 customers "share" that 1.25Gb/s link... XSGPON, on the other hand, is 10Gb/s to an area, but it is split 64:1, again with 1 for a test link...

So, random numbers:

GPON:
    * assuming 1.25Gb/s, minimum possible speed, across 31 users, is 40Mb/s down. that's if everyone of those 31 links are used at full wack...
    * max of 1Gb/s possible, if no one is using the system...
    XSGPON:
    * assuming 10Gb/s, minimum possible speed, across 63 users, 158Mb/s. This is closer to the minimum speed they offer, and will probably be the sweet spot for most users (150, 300 and 1Gb options, would think a lot of people will go for 150 or 300mb/s).

This is based on a info from the Open Eir technical handbook:

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/NGA-Technical-Handbook-V22_0-Marked-220120.pdf

And i found other bits from around boards here too...

You're using the wrong figure, thats US. DS is 2.4Gbps per strand. Contended at 32/31:1 but really it depends on how much they're willing to sell it. Not seen that specified anywhere.

A single cust can only pull around 960Mb but I think a "fair" guesstimate of a busy strand would be 28 subs connected (few will fill all ODPs as some will be over subbed and some under) so giving a CDR of about 85Mb down. Doesnt look too bad if they're all on 150Mb pacakges. If they're all on 1G then it looks a bit weaker.

In practice for the next 5 or 6 years the OLT per port capacity won't be the issue, itll be the ops core. Look at the problems some VF FTTH users are reporting at the moment. Huge contention deeper into the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

ED E wrote: »
    You're using the wrong figure, thats US. DS is 2.4Gbps per strand. Contended at 32/31:1 but really it depends on how much they're willing to sell it. Not seen that specified anywhere.

A single cust can only pull around 960Mb but I think a "fair" guesstimate of a busy strand would be 28 subs connected (few will fill all ODPs as some will be over subbed and some under) so giving a CDR of about 85Mb down. Doesnt look too bad if they're all on 150Mb pacakges. If they're all on 1G then it looks a bit weaker.

In practice for the next 5 or 6 years the OLT per port capacity won't be the issue, itll be the ops core. Look at the problems some VF FTTH users are reporting at the moment. Huge contention deeper into the network.

You should not be making unfounded claims about company networks that you cannot prove. Hint: a few meaningless posts here are not a proof of issues in Vodafone's core.

Also, anyone talking about "test ports" on a GPON network is showing their ignorance of the underlying technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

Grnsj wrote: »
    You should not be making unfounded claims about company networks that you cannot prove. Hint: a few meaningless posts here are not a proof of issues in Vodafone's core.

Also, anyone talking about "test ports" on a GPON network is showing their ignorance of the underlying technology.

It’s clearly not an unfounded claim though, I’ve seen multiple users experiencing serious congestion on Siro with Vodafone in Cork earlier in the year while other operators like Digiweb was flawless in the same neighbourhood.

It’s mainly resolved now but still get the odd speed drop every now and then.

One factor is Vodafone launched and sold Siro around Cork City rapidly last year and offered the 1GB package for €20 year a month for 6 months and blew other operators out of the water.

That’s a hell load of traffic suddenly routing through the Vodafone network. Along with >300k rural houses that can now access 1GB speeds on the OpenEir network.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭lotas

ED E wrote: »

I did see some GPON gear saying 2.5Gb/s down, 1.25Gb/s up, but didnt realize it was a standard (https://www.ui.com/products/#ufiber). handy to know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Is anyone keeping track of which exchange areas are currently being fitted out with FTTH?

When the FTTC rollout was going on there seemed to be way more info, both unofficially on boards and elsewhere, but also from OpenEir itself.

For example, it looks like the area served by Quaker Road, a pretty large exchange on the South (inner) side of Cork City appears to be getting fibre rolled out, but I haven't seen it anywhere else in the city yet.

Advertisement