Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no Boards.ie app?

Options
  • 17-07-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I was looking for a boards.ie app yesterday as it would be handy but the best thing zi found was some app designed for farmers for it lol. So why is there no proper app for Boards.ie?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Probably no point at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Pretty sure there was and it was a ball of shyte, same as the new site they developed and then ditched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm pretty sure there was one a few years ago, but it was kinda ****e and barely used. A bit like the modern version of the site, nobody really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's a pity. Surely it can not be that hard to developed on app? All it has to do is create a quick way for people to get onto the site instead of having to Google it everytime.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

AMKC wrote: »
    That's a pity. Surely it can not be that hard to developed on app? All it has to do is create a quick way for people to get onto the site instead of having to Google it everytime.

You could just select the touch site in a browser then add a bookmark to your home-screen, or wherever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You could always make one yourself op

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Apps for individual websites are a pain most of the time tbh. Generally easier to bookmark.

There was (is?) a boards app, it was rubbish.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

An app would cost a lot of money..how would the administrators of boards recoup the cost from the users..
    Given most of the posts from boards users I'd say boards is past it now and will be gone in a few years..but the mods will still be looking to give out to someone..or air their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was one in development, but then someone touched themselves at night, and the work stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

That's a pity. Surely it can not be that hard to developed on app?
    Feel free to do so!
    All it has to do is create a quick way for people to get onto the site instead of having to Google it everytime.

Are you familiar with how a computer/phone/browser works?

Why do you have to "google" boards just to access it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

If you have android, google boards.ie apk file. Easier than going into the browser all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

There is a legacy Boards app that is not being supported any more.

There is very limited functionality on it. I was involved in the testing of it a few years ago & the interest from the Office fizzled out when the focus shifted to the Responsive site, which has since been put out to pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What was the responsive site and what was it supposed to do

• Registered Users Posts: 34,444 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Muahahaha wrote: »

Almost destroyed the whole website to be honest.

Leaving the legacy site as an option saved it, if they'd gone 100% responsive I'd say nobody would be posting here anymore.

I couldn't make heads nor tails of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Muahahaha wrote: »

A responsive site is one that automatically adapts to be optimised for the screen size of the device it’s rendered on. So you design one site, but have code that changes how elements display based on the window size. So the same site looks and acts different on a large PC monitor and a small phone. Most modern websites are designed this way, as it’s the most efficient way to deliver the same content across multiple devices and screen sizes.

An example: go to news.sky.com on a computer. Slowly make the window smaller. At various “break points”, you’ll see the layout change, and things like the top menu disappear as it optimises for the smaller window size.

The alternative is to have different dedicated versions of the site for large and small screens, which is what Boards does with the “full site” www.boards.ie and the “touch site” touch.boards.ie. Both have the same basic content, but different layout and some differences in functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

o1s1n wrote: »
    Almost destroyed the whole website to be honest.

Leaving the legacy site as an option saved it, if they'd gone 100% responsive I'd say nobody would be posting here anymore.

I couldn't make heads nor tails of it myself.

Pretty sure anyone outside of Ireland was forced to it by default at one stage. Thankfully someone killed it with fire before the site died. Absolute disaster and I can't believe it was signed off on to go live. Considering the financial constraints boards work under I'd say management very unimpressed with such a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Turbohymac wrote: »
    An app would cost a lot of money..how would the administrators of boards recoup the cost from the users..
    Given most of the posts from boards users I'd say boards is past it now and will be gone in a few years..but the mods will still be looking to give out to someone..or air their opinions.

Passed over again T?

How do you remember how to get to Google? Do you have to Bing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bing it? dont be silly. you Ask Jeeves of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

This is it wrote: »
    Pretty sure anyone outside of Ireland was forced to it by default at one stage. Thankfully someone killed it with fire before the site died. Absolute disaster and I can't believe it was signed off on to go live. Considering the financial constraints boards work under I'd say management very unimpressed with such a waste!

I've encountered sites where they've tried some sort of responsive setup, but what it did was served up the mobile site on pc of you didn't have the browser window maximised. As their mobile site was terrible, this made me unhappy.

• Advertisement

Of course. Ask Jeeves “how do I Bing Google so I can find Boards.ie”. If only there was a way of recording these instructions so you don’t have to go through them each time, on a punch card maybe.

Alta Vista points me to Ask Jeeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KoolKluxKlan

Years of mismanagement is the answer,
    Dav and his team of a couple of developers, Ronan and Danny and a couple of others were tasked with making a new cleaner Talk To site to try and make more money, a few telecoms companies and a handful of others joined but are all have left now and there’s barely any Talk To pages left.

The responsive site was poorly designed in every possible way as was the android and iOS ‘app’.
    The whole thing failed, dav got the chop and they brought in a ‘CEO’ that did sweet fanny all.
    Now they can barely keep the site up as it’s running on tech older than most members.
    A shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are all too old to learn new things

I read an article once written by someone who's website somehow ended up being the top result on Google for "Facebook Login". The amount of abusive comments left on their page from people complaining that their Facebook had changed was crazy.

Of course. Ask Jeeves “how do I Bing Google so I can find Boards.ie”. If only there was a way of recording these instructions so you don’t have to go through them each time, on a punch card maybe.

punch cards? nothing so modern. just flip the correct switches on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Similar to the Met Eireann website. WTF was wrong with the old one?

Sometimes, a website is perfect for what it does and should be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

punch cards? nothing so modern. just flip the correct switches on the front.

I have RSI from toggling in the disk I/O opcodes time after time - I wish some yutz would hurry up and invent the device driver.

Now they can barely keep the site up as it’s running on tech older than most members.

vBulletin seems to have gone the way most once-dominant software goes: lost its edge and unable to keep up with modern expectations. It’s incredibly had to modernise an established software platform - best bet is to abandon it and re-start from scratch every 7 or so years.

From a couple of other fora I frequent, the Discourse software looks pretty good.

• Advertisement

vBulletin seems to have gone the way most once-dominant software goes: lost its edge and unable to keep up with modern expectations. It’s incredibly had to modernise an established software platform - best bet is to abandon it and re-start from scratch every 7 or so years.

From a couple of other fora I frequent, the Discourse software looks pretty good.

another message board i frequent has just moved to Discourse. I hate it and traffic seems to have fallen off a cliff

Advertisement