Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no Boards.ie app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

another message board i frequent has just moved to Discourse. I hate it and traffic seems to have fallen off a cliff

You're seeing another message board?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

WE WERE ON A BREAK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

another message board i frequent has just moved to Discourse. I hate it and traffic seems to have fallen off a cliff

And just WHO is this trollop?!?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I still use the old app. This post is posted from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Turbohymac wrote: »
    An app would cost a lot of money..how would the administrators of boards recoup the cost from the users..
    Given most of the posts from boards users I'd say boards is past it now and will be gone in a few years..but the mods will still be looking to give out to someone..or air their opinions.

What is the preferred forum for Irish people at present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

WE WERE ON A BREAK!!!
    jimgoose wrote: »
    And just WHO is this trollop?!?? :mad:

we're just friends, it doesnt mean anything. it is possible to be just friends with a different message board you know.

Car99 wrote: »

Facebook & Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A responsive site is one that automatically adapts to be optimised for the screen size of the device it’s rendered on. So you design one site, but have code that changes how elements display based on the window size. So the same site looks and acts different on a large PC monitor and a small phone. Most modern websites are designed this way, as it’s the most efficient way to deliver the same content across multiple devices and screen sizes.

An example: go to news.sky.com on a computer. Slowly make the window smaller. At various “break points”, you’ll see the layout change, and things like the top menu disappear as it optimises for the smaller window size.

The alternative is to have different dedicated versions of the site for large and small screens, which is what Boards does with the “full site” www.boards.ie and the “touch site” touch.boards.ie. Both have the same basic content, but different layout and some differences in functionality.

ah right, thanks for the explanation. Its a wonder that vBulletin dont offer some sort of responsive functionality rather than lots of small forums having to try to implement it themselves. Its also a wonder that the implemention of it here was such a disaster, I dont know anything about dev but it is hardly rocket science?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

titan18 wrote: »
    kejfirirjeo ðŸ‘🙌🀮🙌😋 jek8284884.

Something wrong with your post, maybe try from the touch. site

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Discord I presume you mean? It's grand but I prefer the message board layout of Boards (hate Reddit too tbh)
    titan18 wrote: »
    I still use the old app. This post is posted from it.

Me too, I use the app most of the day when at work.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ah right, thanks for the explanation. Its a wonder that vBulletin dont offer some sort of responsive functionality rather than lots of small forums having to try to implement it themselves. Its also a wonder that the implemention of it here was such a disaster, I dont know anything about dev but it is hardly rocket science?

the latest version of vBulletin includes iOs and android apps but upgrading can be difficult if boards.ie have added a lot of custom stuff.

This is it wrote: »
    Something wrong with your post, maybe try from the touch. site

The old app posts in hieroglyphics. He says “sun, cat, Isis, eye, cat, Ra, Falcon, staff”, which is bang on point.

Necro wrote: »
    Discord I presume you mean? It's grand but I prefer the message board layout of Boards (hate Reddit too tbh)

no it is definitely discourse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The old app posts in hieroglyphics. He says “sun, cat, Isis, eye, cat, Ra, Falcon, staffâ€, which is bang on point.

It does garble quotes alright. (Posting from app to hopefully show example)

Also you don't get the blue arrow at the top of an app quoted post.

Necro wrote: »

Well I meant Discourse anyway (https://www.discourse.org/). It has plenty of modern features: responsive, endless scrolling, easy to upload photos to embed in a post, good search functionality.

Well I meant Discourse anyway (https://www.discourse.org/). It has plenty of modern features: responsive, endless scrolling, easy to upload photos to embed in a post, good search functionality.

Oooh that looks cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tic Tak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Journal.ie comments section

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The responsive site was poorly designed in every possible way as was the android and iOS ‘app’.

If you take any large website like Facebook, Twitter etc, they introduce little features here and there. Theres a bit of grumbling when they are introduced but generally people get on with it or else it is rolled back.

With that responsive site they just seemed to squirrel away for months, at a great cost no doubt, and then said "tah dah! I know you've used this site for years but forget everything you know about boards as its all brand new"

Imo boards has a lot of great content but need to work a bit better on how a user can discover that content. They could do this fairly easily with more advanced tabs on the homepage and a better tagging system.

Boards is still the best place to get Irish viewpoints on a lot of subjects, whether its topical or something to do with cars/business/farming etc and it would be a shame to see that go away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I remember being at a Boards beers years ago (Jesus, probably 15 years ago) where somebody was doing a spiel on stage, once of the things they said was that one of the top traffic sources for Boards was from people googling* "Boards.ie".

That was back when the address bar in browsers was for typing URLs.
    I'm not even sure if most of them had a small side search bar, think you'd have to type "google.com" in the address bar to get to Google, and then type in "boards.ie".

So at the time it was quite amusing given the extra effort required, now it's probably the norm for the majority of people.

Come to think of it, they probably weren't Googling either. Yahooing, most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Two things that will help your browsing of boards:
    1. There is a setting in the control panel to automatically subscribe to a thread once you have posted in it. Very handy to keep following a discussion without having to go look for it
    2. If you are on the touch site you can access trending topics by entering the address: https://touch.boards.ie/trending - there is inexplicably no button to go directly to trending on the touch site

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jimgoose wrote: »
    You could just select the touch site in a browser then add a bookmark to your home-screen, or wherever.
    arctictree wrote: »
    Similar to the Met Eireann website. WTF was wrong with the old one?

Sometimes, a website is perfect for what it does and should be left alone.

The app is painfully slow compared to
    http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

AMKC wrote: »
    I was looking for a boards.ie app yesterday as it would be handy but the best thing zi found was some app designed for farmers for it lol. So why is there no proper app for Boards.ie?

Look at the website and that would answer your question. About as much tech ambition as a badger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The old app posts in hieroglyphics. He says “sun, cat, Isis, eye, cat, Ra, Falcon, staff”, which is bang on point.

https://ArtSexperiments.withgoogle.com/fabricius/en

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MOH wrote: »

Come to think of it, they probably weren't Googling either. Yahooing, most likely

lol some of us looked down our noses at Yahoo! and used Alta Vista :pac:

quick question- anyone know if there is anyway to get the roll eyes emoji :rolleyes: off boards and into whatsapp? Whatsapp doesnt seem to have an emoji that cuts the mustard quite like :rolleyes:

Muahahaha wrote: »
    quick question- anyone know if there is anyway to get the roll eyes emoji :rolleyes: off boards and into whatsapp? Whatsapp doesnt seem to have an emoji that cuts the mustard quite like :rolleyes:

The Standard emojis in Unicode all look a bit different depending on the platform, but here’s the “face with rolling eyes” one

https://emojipedia.org/face-with-rolling-eyes/

Most implementations lack the side smirk and slight side glance the Boards one has.

Sad to think there will come a day when someone posts the last post on boards.

A bit like that mental image you might get of Bosco lying lifeless in his box in the studio at night because he's just a puppet. Always found that a bit unsettling.

Some day this will all be fields

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

AMKC wrote: »
    I was looking for a boards.ie app yesterday as it would be handy but the best thing zi found was some app designed for farmers for it lol. So why is there no proper app for Boards.ie?
    There is one. I am using it right now. It's available to download from the Google Play Store. Type in "BoardsV2".

A bit like that mental image you might get of Bosco lying lifeless in his box in the studio at night because he's just a puppet. Always found that a bit unsettling.

unquote_2x.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Do you really think a poster will let another have the last word here?

Advertisement