Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sing it brother.

517808.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Sing it brother.

Books aren't history either. Sure they're bits of ink on pages made from wood fibres.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

2u2me wrote: »
    Books aren't history either. Sure they're bits of ink on pages made from wood fibres.

You should start a blog with your insightful takes so people can go there for the comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Don't give him encouragement to burn books.

As Heinrich Heine said in the early 1800s.
    "Where they burn books, they will too in the end burn people".

No matches for Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Danzy wrote: »
    Don't give him encouragement to burn books.

As Heinrich Heine said in the early 1800s.
    "Where they burn books, they will too in the end burn people".

No matches for Tom.

who has mentioned or even thought of burning books? only you have which is very telling.

• Advertisement

who has mentioned or even thought of burning books? only you have which is very telling.

Do you think once they have all the statues down they'll be happy and go home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

They are record of history, when properly researched. Statues are not.

Do you think once they have all the statues down they'll be happy and go home?

all the statues? every single one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

all the statues? every single one?

I can see how you wrack up so many posts now. Asking stupid questions like this that don't advance the conversation. Perhaps if you answered questions put to you the conversation would flow better; rather than throwing snarky, sarcastic, obfuscating questions around.

• Advertisement

Nobody has mentioned burning books.... Yet the ****ing golden girls have had episodes which were "problematic" taken down and not available.

But yeah, censorship of books is not on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

EbwGPzfUEAAA8DC?format=jpg&name=large

I wouldn't put it past them all crawling up the building like something out of world war z tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

EbwGPzfUEAAA8DC?format=jpg&name=large

I wouldn't put it past them all crawling up the building like something out of world war z tho

thats the best thing ive seen all day :D:D :pac:

:-)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/15/edward-colston-statue-replaced-by-sculpture-of-black-lives-matter-protester
    The statue of slave trader Edward Colston was replaced in Bristol on Wednesday morning – with a sculpture of one of the protesters whose anger brought him down.

The figure of Jen Reid, who was photographed standing on the plinth with her fist raised after the 17th century merchant was toppled by Black Lives Matter demonstrators last month, was erected at dawn by a team directed by the artist Marc Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't say I'd be a fan of it and it looks completely reactionary. A bit more time, thought and planning would not have gone amiss but it's not my city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

There's probably a lot of people more deserving of a statue to be fair.

Put it to the people of Bristol, ask them what they want there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Jen Reid must have achieved a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The crowd who pulled down the statue mostly looked like white male crusties to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Considering that statue went up without approval, I hope it's taken down until something is democratically decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jen Reid must have achieved a lot

Shes a stylist, so the article needs to tell us, so probably lots of nice do's or nails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

titan18 wrote: »
    Considering that statue went up without approval, I hope it's taken down until something is democratically decided.

Honestly it's kind of funny that a person who tore it down so brashly replaced it with one of themselves. Is it about racial justice, freedom, equality? No, it's about ego.

Think I'll head over to Fairview Park with the lads on Friday night, knock down Russeller's statue and throw a likeness of my own image up on the plinth for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Its all totally nonsense now.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Honestly it's kind of funny that a person who tore it down so brashly replaced it with one of themselves. Is it about racial justice, freedom, equality? No, it's about ego.

Think I'll head over to Fairview Park with the lads on Friday night, knock down Russeller's statue and throw a likeness of my own image up on the plinth for the craic.

she didnt erect the statue herself. there is no suggestion she had anything to do with the new statue. the article was very clear on that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fair play. I think it's a good idea.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

nullzero wrote: »
    There's probably a lot of people more deserving of a statue to be fair.

Put it to the people of Bristol, ask them what they want there.

LOL. The people of Bristol had been asking for the statue to be taken down for decades. In the end all they got was an amendment to the blurb on the state which was so sanitised that the mayor vetoed it and asked them to redraft it. Direct action got the statue taken down and councils reacted by "listening" to their constituents and choosing to take down dozens more statues across the country.

I find it funny that you're now interested in asking the people of Bristol what they want.

As this statue shows, significant history is being written right now. At least consider being on the right side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mick087 wrote: »
    Its all totally nonsense now.

Why is that? Expand on that thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Why is that? Expand on that thought.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i get that its not really about her as an individual but rather the blm thing as a whole but it seems a bit shallow to me.

blm folk tore down a statue which was then replaced with a blm statue, what did they actually achieve? the latest flavour of the month or hottest hashtags dont generally get statues, feels like putting up a statue of Jedward in 2011.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Can't say I'd be a fan of it and it looks completely reactionary. A bit more time, thought and planning would not have gone amiss but it's not my city.

It might be a lot of thins: wise, foolish, heroic, illegal... how on earth is it reactionary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Not against the new statue, the old one was in poor taste and had a lot of people asking for it to be removed.

I still think the best course of action would have been to put either a public toilet or a nice flower bed in place of the statue and plinth.

That way it isn't political, but rather practical.

Advertisement