Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

"It's now apparently racist to say white lives matter."
    The Mirror clearly said that:
    Burnley fan Jake Hepple has claimed responsibility for flying an offensive banner during ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

joe40 wrote: »
    Again the arrogance. "Half of them don't even know what they are protesting" The black population in America know what they're protesting about, who are you to tell them they don't understand?

Who is targeting paw patrol or Jesus?

You're just picking up random stuff on Twitter and trying to make out that is what the protests are about.
    I saw a video of white people whipping themselves. Yeah that was idiotic in the extreme, black people were telling them to cop on.
    Stupid things have been said, absolutely but I'm not about to judge everything on that.

Sure you'll find video clips of people supporting any point of view.
    Two black guys on YouTube, expressing an opinion you agree so now they're representative of millions of black.
    But the actual millions protesting... They don't understand.

That is called confirmation bias.

With the exception of democrat run cities the US is probably the best place in the world to be a black person. Listen to what Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington have to say about it, they are spot on. People with a victim complex never get that far ahead in life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

So you accept that BLM had legitimate points. That something we can agree on.
    I'm not telling anyone they're wrong I'm saying I won't tell the thousands/ millions of protestors they're wrong or that they don't understand what they're protesting about without understanding their lives.

That is exactly what you were doing in your posts.

I do think American law enforcement needs serious reform. They are too militarised, to aggressive and too deadly. If the black community feel they are victimised I'm going to accept that.

Crime follows poverty that is why this issue is about wider inequality issues for long term solutions.

As for the "nonsense by woke virtue signallers" I agree there is a certain element of that, but that is a side issue.

Even the actual BLM movement is too disparate, and some of their demands are unworkable or not feasible.

They're lacking good leadership Which is a problem.

My big worry is that things won't be addressed and a real armed militant BLM group develop.

That is largely what happened in NI. Legitimate issues weren't addressed. Hard-line measures were used on protestors resulting in 30 years of troubles.

Civil discontent on this scale usually has a justifiable cause, and force alone does not defeat in the long term.

To be fair in this scenario BLM injected racism into a volitile situation the killing of GF to escalate the situation use it as a platform , there is no evidence that states the killing of GF was racially motivated.

Now you have a case of blacks vs cops.. look at the cop in Atlanta who made the right call in killing someone who fired a taser at him, he himself is now facing deaths row for following procedure .

Then there's the fact that black Americans make up 13.5% of the population but commit more than half the violent crime , it's an even more staggering when you break it down by gender because black females are responsible for next to none of it.

So it paints the picture as to how these conflicts are coming about with police but because of a handful of bad incidents the entire police force has been demonized and can now barely do there job.

Look at the millions of stops done by police that go off without any issue but no we skip over that.. and scream defund the police ! Systematic racism!

Can I ask why you never brought these statistics up when speaking about BLM? Did you not know them or did you just want to ignore them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cupatae wrote: »
    To be fair in this scenario BLM injected racism into a volitile situation the killing of GF to escalate the situation use it as a platform , there is no evidence that states the killing of GF was racially motivated.

Now you have a case of blacks vs cops.. look at the cop in Atlanta who made the right call in killing someone who fired a taser at him, he himself is now facing deaths row for following procedure .

Then there's the fact that black Americans make up 15% of the population but commit more than half the violent crime , it's an even more staggering when you break it down by gender because black females are responsible for next to none of it.

So it paints the picture as to how these conflicts are coming about with police but because of a handful of bad incidents the entire police force has been demonized and can now barely do there job.

Look at the millions of stops done by police that go off without any issue but no we skip over that.. and scream defund the police ! Systematic racism!

African Americans are about 13.5% of population and near 60% of violent crime, hiver around half of murders. Burglary, assault, auto theft etc etc are all stories of African America.

With the exception of democrat run cities the US is probably the best place in the world to be a black person. Listen to what Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington have to say about it, they are spot on. People with a victim complex never get that far ahead in life.

West Africans are one of the top performing demographics in America, along with India and Asians, the beyond Bangladesh ones.

Some cunning institutional racism there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well provide me facts of this oppression then, and reasoning behind it, I'm not seeing black people being slaughtered on the streets in mass by police force,

I'm not seeing this massive systematic racism that everyone's shouting about

Prove it show me the facts ,

But of course we always focus on the big bad system for all there woes , we willfully leave out any other contributing factors like personal decisions, culture ECT

They shout about the police killing them but ain't nobody shouting about the facts that they make up a minority but do the majority of violent crimes , why's that ?

Cause the race thing is a crutch and without it the whole thing falls flat on it's face and there left with nothing but the reality and facts and no one to blame but themselves.

Have you actually looked into what black people are saying about this or have you just decided this is a crutch? Or have you decided that a race is treated equally unless slaughtered en masse and set a ridiculous bar to justify it all?

https://youtu.be/klGKnS6Vq5k

about:reader?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fnational%2Farchive%2F2015%2F07%2Fyour-stories-of-racism%2F398117%2F

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/black-history/2020/02/21/three-womens-personal-stories-helping-re-tell-black-history/4793577002/

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2019/02/20/why-are-black-women-at-such-high-risk-of-dying-from-pregnancy-complications

That is a small selection. There are thousands of stories out there of people feeling like second class citizens in their own country.

But hey maybe they are wrong and the police are violent to everyone equally. Then we still have a damn good reason for people to march on the streets and demand accountability from those meant to protect them.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Have you actually looked into what black people are saying about this or have you just decided this is a crutch? Or have you decided that a race is treated equally unless slaughtered en masse and set a ridiculous bar to justify it all?

https://youtu.be/klGKnS6Vq5k

about:reader?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fnational%2Farchive%2F2015%2F07%2Fyour-stories-of-racism%2F398117%2F

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/black-history/2020/02/21/three-womens-personal-stories-helping-re-tell-black-history/4793577002/

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2019/02/20/why-are-black-women-at-such-high-risk-of-dying-from-pregnancy-complications

That is a small selection. There are thousands of stories out there of people feeling like second class citizens in their own country.

But hey maybe they are wrong and the police are violent to everyone equally. Then we still have a damn good reason for people to march on the streets and demand accountability from those meant to protect them.

I could dismiss that in the same fashion you dismissed my links.

Your actually wrong the police aren't violent towards everyone equally they actually kill more white people than anyone else. How do you feel about that ? You can be as hyperbolic as you like but the numbers don't lie, the crime rates statistics won't got away no matter how emotional people get.

But on the flip side of that there are a hell of alot more good police than there are bad, but of course this is another unpopular opinion, t

The reality is the police over there need the exact opposite of what BLM and there followers are calling for , they need a hell of alot more funding they need higher standards and screening and alot more training.

Care to have a crack at explaining away the statistics I posted? I'd be interested in hearing your views on em considering your certain the police are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Burnley fan claims responsibility for 'White Lives Matter' banner
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/burnley-fan-claims-responsibility-white-22236653

Lancashire Constabulary - UPDATE:

"After assessing all the information available surrounding this incident we have concluded that there are no criminal offences that have been disclosed at this time. We will continue to work with our partners at the football club and within the local authority."
    https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2020/june/update-banner-flown-over-etihad-stadium-a-statement

I could dismiss that in the same fashion you dismissed my links.

Your actually wrong the police aren't violent towards everyone equally they actually kill more white people than anyone else. How do you feel about that ? You can be as hyperbolic as you like but the numbers don't lie, the crime rates statistics won't got away no matter how emotional people get.

But on the flip side of that there are a hell of alot more good police than there are bad, but of course this is another unpopular opinion, t

The reality is the police over there need the exact opposite of what BLM and there followers are calling for , they need a hell of alot more funding they need higher standards and screening and alot more training.

Care to have a crack at explaining away the statistics I posted? I'd be interested in hearing your views on em considering your certain the police are wrong.

I could dismiss them so I will? You asked for examples and I gave them. I have 0 and I mean 0 real world experience with racism but I am willing to listen to those who say they have experienced it.

I was not hyperbolic? I mean, your argument that the police are right is that they kill more white people. That is not a great argument in my view, it still leaves the police as wrong, just in a different way. If it leads to change I reckon many would take it.

I think what many want is you don't need armed police for everything. You can put some of the money into community engagement as well as training instead of putting police in military gear. The issue with crime statistics is they will naturally take on the bias of a police force. I mean studies have shown pretty equal drug use between white and black people. One segment gets a lot more jail time out of it.

You have police standing up for their right to push over old men. You have any officer involved in DC and attacking peaceful protestors. That right there is too many bad eggs. Mostly decent police is a pretty terrible bar.

Taylor seems like she might see justice due to the protests. Certain choke holds have been banned across for use by police. Colorado are putting up police reform. People are slowly getting their wishes with the protests.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I could dismiss them so I will? You asked for examples and I gave them. I have 0 and I mean 0 real world experience with racism but I am willing to listen to those who say they have experienced it.

I was not hyperbolic? I mean, your argument that the police are right is that they kill more white people. That is not a great argument in my view, it still leaves the police as wrong, just in a different way. If it leads to change I reckon many would take it.

I think what many want is you don't need armed police for everything. You can put some of the money into community engagement as well as training instead of putting police in military gear. The issue with crime statistics is they will naturally take on the bias of a police force. I mean studies have shown pretty equal drug use between white and black people. One segment gets a lot more jail time out of it.

You have police standing up for their right to push over old men. You have any officer involved in DC and attacking peaceful protestors. That right there is too many bad eggs. Mostly decent police is a pretty terrible bar.

Taylor seems like she might see justice due to the protests. Certain choke holds have been banned across for use by police. Colorado are putting up police reform. People are slowly getting their wishes with the protests.

I mean your really reaching , we ve went from police violence to white and black drug use one might get slightly more time... I mean really?

Who says the police are bad ? You have to shoot people at times that's just the nature of there jobs especially in America , your talking you never experienced racism , I bet you ve never been shot at either but you don't seem to have sympathy for the police or trying to understand them just try and imagine how tough a job that is in the US.

You have about a handful of examples of bad policing in the grand scheme of things but yoh willfully choose to blow them completely out of proportion. Not ever cop is out there doing that..

But as your point on all cops don't need to be armed ya good luck with that in the US when everyone and there grandma has rifles ECT..

The cops might need a reform , but the black community needs on aswell especially when they make up 13.5% of the pop but do over half of the violent crimes.. imagine people associate em with violence..

• Advertisement

I mean your really reaching , we ve went from police violence to white and black drug use one might get slightly more time... I mean really?

Who says the police are bad ? You have to shoot people at times that's just the nature of there jobs especially in America , your talking you never experienced racism , I bet you ve never been shot at either but you don't seem to have sympathy for the police or trying to understand them just try and imagine how tough a job that is in the US.

You have about a handful of examples of bad policing in the grand scheme of things but yoh willfully choose to blow them completely out of proportion. Not ever cop is out there doing that..

But as your point on all cops don't need to be armed ya good luck with that in the US when everyone and there grandma has rifles ECT..

The cops might need a reform , but the black community needs on aswell especially when they make up 13.5% of the pop but do over half of the violent crimes.. imagine people associate em with violence..
    I listed a dozens of cops up above from a single city. You can add in the police chief who doesn't see the n word as particularly bad in San antonio. The Atlanta 6 plus the most recent shooting. Not every cop is a bad egg but they need to have less of them. Can't have a few bad egg air traffic controllers. Definitely seems like more than a few especially when combined with higher rates of domestic abuse.

The number of bad eggs is really rising. No I don't have sympathy when they go out of their way to protect bad eggs.

Social services are not armed? They could be going into dangerous situations.

It isn't my fault everyone and their grandma is armed. They need to work a way to have the police kill less people. Somehow every other 1st world country manages it. If the issue is everyone has too many guns for policing to be safe I will support measures to help this.

If the police associate black people with violence they need to get out of the job. That seems to be what your last sentence is heavily implying without directly stating.

I saw recently a small town of <10k people got an armoured car recently. Why?

How many years was the war on drugs systemic policy. Which we have someone from the administration admitting that it was designed to lock up black people and hippies.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Tony EH wrote: »
    While I personally think that all lives matter is a fair expression, there's no mistaking what saying white lives matter is supposed to mean.

And inflammatory digs of that kind are certainly no helpful in any way.
    From the tweets that I have seen from the apparent fliers of the banner, it was in response to the stabbings in Reading. Unsurprising as it was EDL types who are notoriously anti Islam, and they achieved what they set out to achieve - publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A statue designed by sculptor Thomas Ball paid for by freed slaves and dedicated in 1876. The statue depicts a former slave rising and clearly shows them not kneeling, finally free from shackles & clearly looking up with determination! When freed slaves kneeled in front of Lincoln in Richmond, he famously said “Kneel for no man. Kneel only for God”. The statue was unveiled on the 11th anniversary of Lincoln's death, with Frederick Douglass delivering the keynote address to 25K people.

This is like when parents watch their children do a performance or something cute and pretend that they were very good. Positive reinforcement and all that.

https://twitter.com/RichieMcGinniss/status/1275580230506352642

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://twitter.com/Yanky_Pollak/status/1274550602304028674

A mob is never satisfied. Give them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

There was an article in the Irish Times calling for Trinity College to take down statues of philosopher George Berkeley and rename the Berkeley Library because the man held slaves.

When it comes to any historical monument we need to be mature enough to ask: Why exactly are we commemorating this person?
    In the case of George Berkeley it's because of his philosophical contributions that a statue was erected of him as opposed to the majority of slave holders from the time who we don't have statues of. We commemorate him in spite of the fact that he came from a time in which people were not morally enlightened enough to realise that certain things were evil. The fact that he shared in the evil practices that were the common lot of human beings at the time doesn't nullify the achievements that we commemorate him for. The first rule of history is context.

If we're going to superimpose modern moral sensibilities onto celebrated people who lived hundreds of years ago we can take down statues of Edmund Burke. The greatest Irish political philosopher ever. He was light on slavery so we should probably cancel him.
    Daniel O'Connell who achieved Catholic Emancipation was an anti-semite. Why should we have a statue of him? You would be hard pressed to find a single historical figure who didn't hold views we would find abhorrent today.

But what people are really saying when they call for these statues to be taken down is that "I'm better than this person. If I had been alive at that time, I would have stood up for the oppressed." Well actually you probably wouldn't have. You probably would have just gone along to get along and it's the height of narcissism to think you wouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    When it comes to any historical monument we need to be mature enough to ask: Why exactly are we commemorating this person?
    e.
    May I ask, why are we commemorating Floyd?

1591701132_593709_1591744032_noticia_normal_recorte1.jpg

I mean, is it OK now to destroy any future Flloyd's statues on the base that he was a criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

So vocal BLM supporters you would consider having a "victim complex" such as Lebron James, John Boyega, Stormzy and Anthony Joshua havn't gotten that far ahead in life? Really?

RWCNT wrote: »
    So vocal BLM supporters you would consider having a "victim complex" such as Lebron James, John Boyega, Stormzy and Anthony Joshua havn't gotten that far ahead in life? Really?

Anthony Joshua there's another lad going around telling people to shop in black owner stores only to end racism... Solid effort there..

The double standards and hypocrisy out of BLM and the woke people following it in unquestioningly is ridiculous and mind numbingly stupid.

The blinkers are firmly on!

Anthony Joshua going around telling people to shop in black owner stores only to end racism... Solid effort there..

The double standards and hypocrisy out of BLM and the woke people following it in unquestioningly is ridiculous and mind numbingly stupid.

The blinkers are firmly on!

Doesn't have any relevance to the point I made, but OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

There was an article in the Irish Times calling for Trinity College to take down statues of philosopher George Berkeley and rename the Berkeley Library because the man held slaves.

In the case of George Berkeley it's because of his philosophical contributions that a statue was erected of him as opposed to the majority of slave holders from the time who we don't have statues of. We commemorate him in spite of the fact that he came from a time in which people were not morally enlightened enough to realise that certain things were evil. The fact that he shared in the evil practices that were the common lot of human beings at the time doesn't nullify the achievements that we commemorate him for. The first rule of history is context.

If we're going to superimpose modern moral sensibilities onto celebrated people who lived hundreds of years ago we can take down statues of Edmund Burke. The greatest Irish political philosopher ever. He was light on slavery so we should probably cancel him.
    Daniel O'Connell who achieved Catholic Emancipation was an anti-semite. Why should we have a statue of him? You would be hard pressed to find a single historical figure who didn't hold views we would find abhorrent today.

But what people are really saying when they call for these statues to be taken down is that "I'm better than this person. If I had been alive at that time, I would have stood up for the oppressed." Well actually you probably wouldn't have. You probably would have just gone along to get along and it's the height of narcissism to think you wouldn't have.

I dont think the people who want to pulll down the statues really care if the truth was known about the individual or not. Certainly that seems to be the case of the Colston topplers.

IMO its more a political statement from young studants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

RWCNT wrote: »

This analogy is as ridiculous as saying all black people are fine in the U.S. because Oprah, Barrack, Tiger etc..

A victim-complex is a hinderance without question. The person refuses to develop and grow because it's never their fault.

Joshua is built like a greek god; but he can't box to save his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/crowds-tear-down-statues-and-attack-state-senator-in-wisconsin-1007253.html

Hang on a second, why pull down a statue of a UNION colonel and ANTI slavery activist??

One of the statues toppled, decapitated and dragged into a lake about half a mile away was of Civil War colonel Hans Christian Heg. He was an anti-slavery activist and leader of an anti-slave catcher militia in Wisconsin who fought for the Union and died from injuries suffered during the Battle of Chickamauga.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

2u2me wrote: »
    This analogy is as ridiculous as saying all black people are fine in the U.S. because Oprah, Barrack, Tiger etc..

A victim-complex is a hinderance without question. The person refuses to develop and grow because it's never their fault.

So when John Hume was seeking better conditions for Catholics in Northern Ireland was that a victim complex?

I do see how some can buy into it and it may be an issue for some.
    But I don't think blaming all the inequality that black communities experience on their own victim complex or their own laziness or whatever.
    I strongly believe there are also societal factors involved.

Some seem to suggest that all the problems within black communities are their own fault.
    With America's fairly recent history of blatant racism, segregation laws etc, I just find that hard to believe.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/crowds-tear-down-statues-and-attack-state-senator-in-wisconsin-1007253.html

Hang on a second, why pull down a statue of a UNION colonel and ANTI slavery activist??

One of the statues toppled, decapitated and dragged into a lake about half a mile away was of Civil War colonel Hans Christian Heg. He was an anti-slavery activist and leader of an anti-slave catcher militia in Wisconsin who fought for the Union and died from injuries suffered during the Battle of Chickamauga.

Slavery, Black people etc are secondary to the revolution.

It's a militant version of people before profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The teaching in the New Testament would've made it clear that owning or profiting from slaves was evil and Berkeley was a bishop.

There was no shortage of opposition to the slavery. Many simply chose to ignore it because they profited from it and/or because they were white supremacists.

So, question: at what year was it no longer acceptable to be a racist?

So when John Hume was seeking better conditions for Catholics in Northern Ireland was that a victim complex?

But I don't think blaming all the inequality that black communities experience on their own victim complex or their own laziness or whatever.

Some seem to suggest that all the problems within black communities are their own fault.
    With America's fairly recent history of blatant racism, segregation laws etc, I just find that hard to believe.

You ducked the the post when questioned about the statistics of black crime, but for some reason you insist on bringing up N.I as an example of the current situation in the us and they are so far apart it's ridiculous

We dont have to guess alot of the stuff is there in facts and statistics, everything from "white privilege" to "systematic racism of all black people" are easily debunked by the statistics

As I said before you people roar and ball about the police brutality but never mentions black crime rates why is that ?

I'd imagine if makes it alot more difficult to drive the victim narrative if black people make up 13.5% of the pop but do well over half the violent crimes a statistic that's even more grim if you break it down by gender.

Tell the whole story not just one side of it.. I agree there is some racism and police brutality is an issue but people like urself muddy the water and leave discussions very lopsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The only place actively segregating black people in the US atm is “the chop” in Seattle. They have sectioned off a part of the park there for black folks only. That Alanis Morrisette song was spot on.

2u2me wrote: »

It wasn't an analogy. The poster made a ridiculous blanket statement so I countered it with examples.

Anthony Joshua can't box to save his life?? :D Olympic gold medal. 21 professional KOs. Are you alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Daniel O'Connell who achieved Catholic Emancipation was an anti-semite.
    Why should we have a statue of him? You would be hard pressed to find a single historical figure who didn't hold views we would find abhorrent today.

Just on the Daniel O'Connell point, I've had a quick peruse and can't find any evidence of this, in fact only evidence to the contrary. Are you perhaps confusing him with Michael Davitt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He was white. That is why his statue was pulled down and its why the other statues were pulled down. There is no contradiction.

Advertisement