Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

End of September for me

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Andimaul

October for me. Are the dates worked out by IST scores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 psni21

Andimaul wrote: »
    October for me. Are the dates worked out by IST scores?

Yes. The higher your score the sooner your AC date. You'll have longer to prepare and the least time to wait for your results Andimaul :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevob7

For those of you that have already attended an AC in the past - do most people wear a suit for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

stevob7 wrote: »
    For those of you that have already attended an AC in the past - do most people wear a suit for them?

Aye, it says in the email most people wear business attire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Si_zx10r

As someone previously stated, the psni managed stages will likely start before ac is finished as per the info in email. Getting an early date could be advantageous because of this. Less than 6 weeks to go for me, looking forward to it but haven't a clue what to expect on the day. My friend said its a weird experience as you don't really know what they are scoring you on during your time at a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

Anyone else late July?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    As someone previously stated, the psni managed stages will likely start before ac is finished as per the info in email. Getting an early date could be advantageous because of this. Less than 6 weeks to go for me, looking forward to it but haven't a clue what to expect on the day. My friend said its a weird experience as you don't really know what they are scoring you on during your time at a/c.

How are you going about preparing for it? I’ve been reading about the competencies but apart from that not sure what else I should be preparing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    How are you going about preparing for it? I’ve been reading about the competencies but apart from that not sure what else I should be preparing for?

Think of scenarios u might b faced with as a Con and apply the competencies accordingly to demonstrate. Thats all u can do! Be yourself and relax!

Basically what Sharon said and think about what you as a constable would ask a victim/witness to get their account of events so you can produce a report following interviews.

• Advertisement

sharon1986 wrote: »
    Think of scenarios u might b faced with as a Con and apply the competencies accordingly to demonstrate. Thats all u can do! Be yourself and relax!

So just ask lots of questions while showing empathy etc? Nervous to do it as it’s the career always wanted to do!

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    So just ask lots of questions while showing empathy etc? Nervous to do it as it’s the career always wanted to do!

Essentially, yes. The behaviours associated with the core competencies are especially helpful here, as outlined in the College of Policing document. Make sure you use open and closed questions where appropriate.

It might also be useful to have an idea of what structure you want to employ for the roleplays. I intend to use ILEAPT: Introduce, Listen, Empathise, Ask (questions), Paraphrase the situation, Tell what you intend to do. Obviously, the circumstances of the roleplay might make sticking the a structure difficult, so being adaptable is important too. But if you get swamped or flustered, it could be useful to keep you grounded.

And try to remain calm, don't let nerves get the better of you.

MrChew wrote: »
    Essentially, yes. The behaviours associated with the core competencies are especially helpful here, as outlined in the College of Policing document. Make sure you use open and closed questions where appropriate.

It might also be useful to have an idea of what structure you want to employ for the roleplays. I intend to use ILEAPT: Introduce, Listen, Empathise, Ask (questions), Paraphrase the situation, Tell what you intend to do. Obviously, the circumstances of the roleplay might make sticking the a structure difficult, so being adaptable is important too. But if you get swamped or flustered, it could be useful to keep you grounded.

And try to remain calm, don't let nerves get the better of you.

Thanks for the help. That’s a good way of structuring thanks again! Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

No Tomatoes are charging £200 for the AC coaching this time around and will be starting to run classes from next weekend on.

SMS19 wrote: »
    No Tomatoes are charging £200 for the AC coaching this time around and will be starting to run classes from next weekend on.

Anyone here going for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Anyone here going for it?

I have emailed them to reserve a spot in August.

Belfast86 wrote: »
    I have emailed them to reserve a spot in August.

Aye, I'm about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

I actually would like to go but I think it’s a bit expensive for me.

Tashbash wrote: »
    I actually would like to go but I think it’s a bit expensive for me.

Honestly, I'm in the same boat in that regard. My only thing is that I'm a bit older and probably can only realistically take this one shot at joining, so I'm prepared to go all out.

Honestly, I'm in the same boat in that regard. My only thing is that I'm a bit older and probably can only realistically take this one shot at joining, so I'm prepared to go all out.

Yeah I passed the AC for 1810 pretty decently around 400 merit list and if I have to go to this AC I wanted to go with the best possible shot cause it took ages from passing the AC for me to go through the psni stages. If it was around £160 I would have considered it more.

• Advertisement

Yeah I passed the AC for 1810 pretty decently around 400 merit list and if I have to go to this AC I wanted to go with the best possible shot cause it took ages from passing the AC for me to go through the psni stages. If it was around £160 I would have considered it more.

So you've passed the psni stages for 1810? Wouldn't that make you appointable eventually?

So you've passed the psni stages for 1810? Wouldn't that make you appointable eventually?

No it’s still ongoing, I’m waiting for a date for my medical.

No it’s still ongoing, I’m waiting for a date for my medical.

Oh I see. Christ alive, I'm sure you're half mad.

Oh I see. Christ alive, I'm sure you're half mad.
    Yeah been waiting ages for the date lol.
    I'd love to have the medical over me so if I do go to this AC i'll not be under as much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eire_1600

Hi guys, what do people wear to the AC? I went to the AC last July for the guards and the majority wore jeans and a t-shirt/jumper. Just wondering if it’s the same for PSNI AC? I have mine soon.

Thanks in advance.

Eire_1600 wrote: »
    Hi guys, what do people wear to the AC? I went to the AC last July for the guards and the majority wore jeans and a t-shirt/jumper. Just wondering if it’s the same for PSNI AC? I have mine soon.

Thanks in advance.

It says in the documents accompanying the invitation that most people wear business attire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rhino100

£200 for the coaching seeMs pretty steep, I guess its worth it in the end if it helps you into the job. Im suprised such coaching is even allowed as id imagine people that have had the coaching will have a big advantage over others at the AC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

rhino100 wrote: »
    £200 for the coaching seeMs pretty steep, I guess its worth it in the end if it helps you into the job. Im suprised such coaching is even allowed as id imagine people that have had the coaching will have a big advantage over others at the AC?

£200 is pretty steep it was £150 for the 1710 campaign if you get in it would be good but what if you don't? £200 would buy a right bit of groceries!

I am booked on to a class, £200 does seem expensive but if it helps get me higher up the merit list then its worth it for me. I know most of us could do it without their help but I think it will help with nerves etc for me knowing what is to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Boobysingleton

I did it 2 years ago.. Back then was 150£. As Mr chew said might be ur only /last shot getting it be def worth it. They are good an give u all stuff to get in top 100 in ML guy I met at it did just that. So it's doable. I never halfed listened an got through. I start gv vv soon

Advertisement