Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in Clondalkin

Options
  • 14-06-2020 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well start a thread. Clondalkin is limited, mostly fast food or café. What's your experience, where's good, best chipper, best rolls, places to avoid etc?
    Breakfast:
    Hi-grill does a nice breakfast. Used to be matt the rashers, still decent.
    Pandinis is good for breakfast too.
    Nico's does the best omelette.

Chipper:
    I think the 9th lough is overrated, Donatellas beside Boomers is best imho.

The Green Door is good for lunches but just went there on opening. If they keep the quality up it'll be great to have, everything cooked fresh

Haven't eaten in the pubs. Anyone offer any info?

Comments

There's a new Indian takeaway across from the Laurel's opening soon. I think it's owned by an ex owner of Khan's Balti House at Newlands X.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

We love, love Wok Shop, consistently good Chinese (IMO) and not crazy pricewise either. Anyone else use them?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Cienciano wrote: »
    Might as well start a thread. Clondalkin is limited, mostly fast food or café. What's your experience, where's good, best chipper, best rolls, places to avoid etc?
    Breakfast:
    Hi-grill does a nice breakfast. Used to be matt the rashers, still decent.
    Pandinis is good for breakfast too.
    Nico's does the best omelette.

Chipper:
    I think the 9th lough is overrated, Donatellas beside Boomers is best imho.

The Green Door is good for lunches but just went there on opening. If they keep the quality up it'll be great to have, everything cooked fresh

Haven't eaten in the pubs. Anyone offer any info?

For breakfast i like East Village, Nicos is nice too. My fav chipper would have to be Marcos or I like Darius in Greenpark also.
    Havent eaten in the pubs so no idea what they are like

Where is Green Door - haven't heard of it ?

Personally have given up on all the Chinese takeaways in the Village. There's so many of them now that they've gotten lazy and they all taste the same. Soaked in salt and not very exciting. They all just seem to get by on their Spice Bags.

messrs wrote: »
    For breakfast i like East Village, Nicos is nice too. My fav chipper would have to be Marcos or I like Darius in Greenpark also.
    Havent eaten in the pubs so no idea what they are like

Where is Green Door - haven't heard of it ?

It's at the shops on Monastery Road. Beside the Vets.

It's called the Green Corner. Not the Green Door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I eat from Yummy Yummy for Chinese. Its good. They dont have walk in at all though. It's basically just a kitchen with local delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's at the shops on Monastery Road. Beside the Vets.

It's called the Green Corner. Not the Green Door.
    You're right, the green corner.

Got pizzas in donatellas, very nice too.

There's a Pizzeria place beside Donatella's but hear they are quite (too) expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Wokshop is probably the best of the Chinese in the village, same owners for donkeys years. Victoria was up there too but was taken over by new owners awhile back and isn't the same since, same with the China Inn. All the above are in the village easily 30 years at this stage though.

Marcos (get rice with curry in the wokshop and chips from marcos!) or Macaris on the monastery for a chipper. Had a few bogey meals from the 9th lough and won't go back now, chips don't taste like they used to there either, i think they cook in something different than other chippers.

East village probably for lunch/coffee. Nicos is OK too. Pandinis probably for all round selection and consistency, not without fault though, I've gotten a few cold things over the years but never had anything wrong to turn me off it.

I tried the green corner during the week, little ones wanted pancakes and I called in just after 11, told breakfast finishes at 11 so no can do, (in fairness the girl asked the chef and he said no, there was only 2 people inside mulling over coffee so not busy) so that was that out the door I went, called pandinis and collected pancakes 15 mins later!

Always say ill try the evolve eatery, top of monastery just opposite the ibis, but never have, has anyone else tried it?

Miss somewhere for really nice pizza though, when the old Clares pizzeria was there and ran by Clare back in the day it was great. Tried woodfire and wings and thought it was only alright and pricey for what we got

Out of the pubs for a carvery the Laurels/treetop was the best of them, but the treetop is after moving to quinlans now post lockdown. I dont know if its upstairs or just food in the lounge, heard a rumour of an Italian going upstairs in the laurels where the treetop was but taken with a pinch of salt.

Gunpowder is so/so, same with the waterside, never ate food in the purty central though.

For bonus old-school points go into "Harrys" on st brigids Road and get a fresh made salad roll and cream cake. Proper old school shop no frills shop with fruit and veg from the market ect, not many of them left.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There's a new Indian takeaway across from the Laurel's opening soon. I think it's owned by an ex owner of Khan's Balti House at Newlands X.

Be very careful about what owner that is. One of them got convicted of modern day slave labour. He had a family member (!!!) walking all the hours for far below the minimum wage. Not sure if he ever even coughed up what the court told him to pay.

BTW you can't beat Khan's Balti House for a Biryani if you're hungry and you're on a budget. EUR7.95 will give you a vegetarian one, box crammed full of Biryani, another box with sauce and two poppadoms. Had the EUR10.50 lamb one on Friday. I couldn't finish it and I'm big eater, 100kg male, who was very hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

unkel wrote: »
    Be very careful about what owner that is. One of them got convicted of modern day slave labour. He had a family member (!!!) walking all the hours for far below the minimum wage. Not sure if he ever even coughed up what the court told him to pay.
    It's being called Poppadoms and the logo looks to be the same as the place that was there before Khan's. Either it's the same person/people or somebody didn't do any research.

5500 wrote: »
    Wokshop is probably the best of the Chinese in the village, same owners for donkeys years. Victoria was up there too but was taken over by new owners awhile back and isn't the same since, same with the China Inn. All the above are in the village easily 30 years at this stage though.

Marcos (get rice with curry in the wokshop and chips from marcos!) or Macaris on the monastery for a chipper. Had a few bogey meals from the 9th lough and won't go back now, chips don't taste like they used to there either, i think they cook in something different than other chippers.

East village probably for lunch/coffee. Nicos is OK too. Pandinis probably for all round selection and consistency, not without fault though, I've gotten a few cold things over the years but never had anything wrong to turn me off it.

I tried the green corner during the week, little ones wanted pancakes and I called in just after 11, told breakfast finishes at 11 so no can do, (in fairness the girl asked the chef and he said no, there was only 2 people inside mulling over coffee so not busy) so that was that out the door I went, called pandinis and collected pancakes 15 mins later!

Always say ill try the evolve eatery, top of monastery just opposite the ibis, but never have, has anyone else tried it?

Miss somewhere for really nice pizza though, when the old Clares pizzeria was there and ran by Clare back in the day it was great. Tried woodfire and wings and thought it was only alright and pricey for what we got

Out of the pubs for a carvery the Laurels/treetop was the best of them, but the treetop is after moving to quinlans now post lockdown. I dont know if its upstairs or just food in the lounge, heard a rumour of an Italian going upstairs in the laurels where the treetop was but taken with a pinch of salt.

Gunpowder is so/so, same with the waterside, never ate food in the purty central though.

For bonus old-school points go into "Harrys" on st brigids Road and get a fresh made salad roll and cream cake. Proper old school shop no frills shop with fruit and veg from the market ect, not many of them left.

evolve eatery, top of monastery just opposite the ibis,
    Never even heard of it! is it just cafe type thing?

I do miss Claires used to love the chips from there!

Does anyone know what is going to go into where the Happy Pear was seeing as they not coming back?

I know its not a place to eat but I am surprised that there are no donut shops in Clondalkin Village seeing the seem to be so popular

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Evolve Eatery is the best breakfast/brunch place in Clondalkin. It's a pity it's in a crappy location. Wish they'd move to centre of the village.

Think they've won some awards too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It's being called Poppadoms and the logo looks to be the same as the place that was there before Khan's. Either it's the same person/people or somebody didn't do any research.

I remember that case about the gentleman who was treated as slave labour.

I forgot the take away was also called Poppadums- I remember seeing the lad who was exploited walking the roads in Clondalkin on his way to and from work. He always looked so sad.

I've been using 9th lough take away for over 40 years since it opened by the Vecchio family and never had a dud. Streets ahead of the others. Had one recently and it was as good as ever.

Had a roma take away recently- not the same as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

anewme wrote: »
    I remember that case about the gentleman who was treated as slave labour.

I forgot the take away was also called Poppadums- I remember seeing the lad who was exploited walking the roads in Clondalkin on his way to and from work. He always looked so sad.

That's terrible. And to think it was my favourite takeaway, we got our "Indian" food delivered from them I'd say at least twice a month all during that period that happened in the early 00s I think. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth :(

unkel wrote: »
    That's terrible. And to think it was my favourite takeaway, we got our "Indian" food delivered from them I'd say at least twice a month all during that period that happened in the early 00s I think. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth :(

It was known as the best take away and many used it, including us. Indian food was still not as popular then. They also had a Restaurant in Rathmines or Ranelagh.

The minute the case came out, we knew immediately it was that man. Your heart would go out to him.

I used Shakira from then on.

I saw the new sign for Poppadum and didn't twig it till now. I will find out if it is previous owners definitely before using as we all have a personal responsibility. I don't want to blacken a new restaurant as it's hard enough to set up, but will make sure I'm aware.

Nice one, must try the wokshop. I'd agree on 9th lough.
    Nicos has a weird menu, but it's grand for a cheap cafe.
    Green Corner cook everything fresh, so might have had no batter for the pancakes left and getting the lunch menu prepared. But yeah, annoying. I'm willing to give anything in clondalkin that's not a chipper/pizza/chinese a chance because I want to support anything that offers variety.

Evoke Eatery is good, went there a few times. Once it wasn't great, but it was really busy and new opened so I'll give them the benefit. Eggs benedict was great there. Awkward location.
    I've been using 9th lough take away for over 40 years since it opened by the Vecchio family and never had a dud. Streets ahead of the others. Had one recently and it was as good as ever.

Had a roma take away recently- not the same as it was.
    I always went to 9th lough. First of all, I'm not one of those that think there's a massive difference in chippers. They're all very similar. But I just found 9th lough to be average and even slightly below. Donatellas seemed to be slightly above. I always go there now.

Forgot about one place, The Weighbridge.
    Weird place, tiny. I got a full irish. Was decent. Lots of breakfast options in Clondalkin.

Didn't think the Weighbridge was still open, thats there years but never hear anything about it. There's boss hogs aswell on mainstreet for a cheap and cheerfull greasy spoon, along with dunnes own cafe in the mill centre.

There used to be a nice little place called the honeycomb in bawnogue, nicest homemade white pudding and hash browns I ever tasted but that also seemed to switch through owners, and is now called cilantro and seems to be an Indian restaurant that does full irish breakfasts. Indian isn't my cup of tea but might be worth a takeaway to someone.

There's a cafe in newlands garden centre too, alright for a coffee and cake or sambo, nothing special but a change of scenery. There's actually a huge amount of options but they all seem to just lack something, thats why I reckon the round tower centre would be a goldmine in the right hands if it can cater for all tastes.

• Advertisement

I was in the honeycomb before it closed, pity it's gone, nice option to have.

Weighbridge was alive and well earlier this year, hopefully covid didn't effect it.

Anyone go to Pattaya? I went about 3 years ago after hearing glowing reviews. I though it was horrible. Dirty sticky floors, the chicken in the meal had a weird taste. Wouldn't go back

Didn't think the Weighbridge was still open, thats there years but never hear anything about it. There's boss hogs aswell on mainstreet for a cheap and cheerfull greasy spoon, along with dunnes own cafe in the mill centre.

There used to be a nice little place called the honeycomb in bawnogue, nicest homemade white pudding and hash browns I ever tasted but that also seemed to switch through owners, and is now called cilantro and seems to be an Indian restaurant that does full irish breakfasts. Indian isn't my cup of tea but might be worth a takeaway to someone.

There's a cafe in newlands garden centre too, alright for a coffee and cake or sambo, nothing special but a change of scenery. There's actually a huge amount of options but they all seem to just lack something, thats why I reckon the round tower centre would be a goldmine in the right hands if it can cater for all tastes.

Cilantro is same owner of Honeycomb. Honeycomb went under new management early last year, then they switched their menu and name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Moved out of the village over 20 years ago but still get the proper onion rings with no "hole" in the middle from Macari's on monastery road uncooked and freeze them and deep fry them myself when required! I remember back in the 80's we got them to put the onion ring in a bun with burger sauces, now called a Bunion ring. The Wok Shop was usually good back then. I preferred Silvio's in the dutch village before it became Donatella's but the food still ok. Evolve is good, the Roma beside the old credit union had the best Special burger. Harry's do a great roll for lunch as said. The Happy Pear at the round tower has good healthy food. The one thing I miss is the Doner Kebabs and garlic pizza bread from Mizzoni's, Silvio ran it with his daughter and her partner beside where the Wok Shop is now. I don't know how the Weighbridge can survive now because it's so small inside but the food is ok.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

messrs wrote: »
    evolve eatery, top of monastery just opposite the ibis,
    Never even heard of it! is it just cafe type thing?

I do miss Claires used to love the chips from there!

Does anyone know what is going to go into where the Happy Pear was seeing as they not coming back?

I know its not a place to eat but I am surprised that there are no donut shops in Clondalkin Village seeing the seem to be so popular

Loved the pizza and taco's from Claires in the 80's, I didn't know the Happy Pear was gone?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Loved the pizza and taco's from Claires in the 80's, I didn't know the Happy Pear was gone?

Yea apparently they said they were not re opening after covid closure - not sure how well they were doing there anyway

I remember when there were no Chinese takeaways in the Village and my Da used to drive down to Inchicore to the Beansprouts House. :D

I remember when there were no Chinese takeaways in the Village and my Da used to drive down to Inchicore to the Beansprouts House. :D

At a local wedding, the speech involved the fact that the Brides Father spent a lot of time in The Far East. When once asked if he was in Banking in Hong Kong - it was explained that the Far East was the First Chinese takeaway in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Strange that the Mao hasn't reopened, it's the only one of their branches which hasn't.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At a local wedding, the speech involved the fact that the Brides Father spent a lot of time in The Far East. When once asked if he was in Banking in Hong Kong - it was explained that the Far East was the First Chinese takeaway in Clondalkin.

That's like the Larry Gogan "where's the Taj Mahal?" "Opposite the dental hospital" joke :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

An indian buffet restaurant/takeaway after opening up on the monastery Road called chilli tandoori, just saw some pics on Facebook, it looks tiny / I didn't think buffets were allowed operats as such with covid19?

Advertisement