Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Villa05

GreeBo wrote:
    I also think you misunderstood what I mean by "bad house"!

Maybe you also, you can buy a bad house anytime. I just think it's less likely when there are less buyers and more choice within your budget.

In a heated market the seller dictates the terms and vice versa

Logic and common sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

When house prices were 30-50% lower in 2011 lads taught they would go lower, when prices started to rise after that they were convinced that there would be a double dip. It was obivious from late 2012 that this would not happen but people who missed the boat refused to buy as they taught rents would remain low. Now they have paid 4-8 years rent and are still looking for that bargain

In 2011 getting a mortgage was not easy there were only 13,000.

It doesn't show how many applicants were turned down but i assume the numbers were high. As lending had all but dryed up.

Cash investors, Vulture funds and the local authoritys bought up a lot of the apartments and starter houses in prime locations I think it was around half of all resedential property sold between 2009-2013 according to UCD report.

When prices did start to move and rents increase the CB brought in the new rules which, althought the banks agreed some form of cap should be introduced they felt the 3.5 was overkill given the direction the market was going.

MABS had concerns too and they were right.

Debt advisory agency Mabs expressed concern that “ the rising cost of rent and the consequential limits on what renters can save towards a deposit, may mean that renters with a solid income who could afford a mortgage will not be able to save the full deposit of 20per cent in a reasonable period of time”

I dont think it was a refusal to buy.

I think by the time a lot of people were in a position to buy due to the above activty and rules introduced it started to go beyond peoples means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Shelga wrote: »
    Just back from another viewing of a 2 bed apartment, advertised at €275k. The first thing the estate agent said to me was "the owner is actually looking for at least €290k"- why waste my time then?

Advertise it at the price you want for it. Stop playing these stupid games.

Update: Yesterday I withdrew my bid on a house that would have required far too much work, after I brought an expert out to look at it with me. Just out of interest, I rang up the estate agent who is selling this 2 bedroom apartment, and 3 weeks later, they've had precisely zero offers. Couldn't help but think, maybe the owner shouldn't have been so arrogant.

When I went to the viewing, it was only up on Daft a few days and the agent said they'd had 37 emails of interest. Just goes to show, that is definitely not translating into fast offers anymore. People like me think paying nearly €300k for a medium apartment is too big a gamble, and are either waiting for price drops, or to see what happens with the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Belly wrote: »
    In 2011 getting a mortgage was not easy there were only 13,000.

It doesn't show how many applicants were turned down but i assume the numbers were high. As lending had all but dryed up.

Cash investors, Vulture funds and the local authoritys bought up a lot of the apartments and starter houses in prime locations I think it was around half of all resedential property sold between 2009-2013 according to UCD report.

When prices did start to move and rents increase the CB brought in the new rules which, althought the banks agreed some form of cap should be introduced they felt the 3.5 was overkill given the direction the market was going.

MABS had concerns too and they were right.

Debt advisory agency Mabs expressed concern that “ the rising cost of rent and the consequential limits on what renters can save towards a deposit, may mean that renters with a solid income who could afford a mortgage will not be able to save the full deposit of 20per cent in a reasonable period of time”

I dont think it was a refusal to buy.

I think by the time a lot of people were in a position to buy due to the above activty and rules introduced it started to go beyond peoples means.

So 12+ months plus ago when prices were 10%+lower they could not buy buy going into what some here are posting as a hard recession they expect that they will be unaffected and will buy there forever home.

A young couples mid twenties near us were intending to travel this and next year. However they cannot do that now and think it will be two years+ before they get a chance again.

They joint earning are about 60k/year. They looked at different options and asked there parents and friends. One set of parents were wait because of possible recession. However the other parents advice was to buy now. Both have steady income and can access 220k mortgage, they have 20k in savings and parents are giving balance to allow them to buy a 250k house just outside Limerick city.

The parent who's advicewas to buy(and other set of parents came around to this as well). They can access a mortgage now, one works in the medical are and there job is secure, Second is a mechanic . If there is a downturn and he list his job they might be unable to access a loan for 3-5 years. In the meantime renting will cost 10-12k/ year if they want s place to themselves. The repayments will be less than 1k/ month, if they decide to travel in 2-3years time rental value of house will be 1.5k/ month

Slava Ukrainii

....... a 250k house just outside Limerick city.
    ...... if they decide to travel in 2-3years time rental value of house will be 1.5k/ month

Fair play for knowing what rent will cost in 2 to 3 years time in these times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

So 12+ months plus ago when prices were 10%+lower they could not buy buy going into what some here are posting as a hard recession they expect that they will be unaffected and will buy there forever home.

A young couples mid twenties near us were intending to travel this and next year. However they cannot do that now and think it will be two years+ before they get a chance again.

They joint earning are about 60k/year. They looked at different options and asked there parents and friends. One set of parents were wait because of possible recession. However the other parents advice was to buy now. Both have steady income and can access 220k mortgage, they have 20k in savings and parents are giving balance to allow them to buy a 250k house just outside Limerick city.

The parent who's advicewas to buy(and other set of parents came around to this as well). They can access a mortgage now, one works in the medical are and there job is secure, Second is a mechanic . If there is a downturn and he list his job they might be unable to access a loan for 3-5 years. In the meantime renting will cost 10-12k/ year if they want s place to themselves. The repayments will be less than 1k/ month, if they decide to travel in 2-3years time rental value of house will be 1.5k/ month

Seems like a good plan to me. Head off travelling in 2-3 years, vaccine and treatments hopefully all in place and everything back to normal!

Price of house is very affordable and a long term plan not an investment.

Their take-home pay is 4,238 if its 30k each mortgage repayment probably around the 900 mark well below 30% of their net income.

Both would have to lose their jobs for a extended period of time to come under any pressure for the mortgage repayments.

As both would be entitled to job seekers benefit and mortgage interest relief.

Even then it would just mean a cut back in discretionary spending.

Augeo wrote: »
    Fair play for knowing what rent will cost in 2 to 3 years time in these times :)

That was there parents assessment lads are predicting a 20%-drop. Even if they rent at 2/3 of that they cover mortgage repayments so that would allow them to travel if they do decide.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Dundalk discussion split into separate thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Most properties I'm looking at are going 8-10pc over asking and lots of competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

MattS1 wrote: »
    Most properties I'm looking at are going 8-10pc over asking and lots of competition.
    This could be only temporary inertia effect.Who said this trend gonna continue forever ? The PAs in 2007 said property will never losing price,what happened after ?

This could be only temporary inertia effect.Who said this trend gonna continue forever ? The PAs in 2007 said property will never losing price,what happened after ?

What do you mean by interia effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

MattS1 wrote: »
    What do you mean by interia effect?
    Inertia effect is the mortgages approved before Covid.That what exactly drive property market at the moment.

Inertia effect is the mortgages approved before Covid.That what exactly drive property market at the moment.

But don't banks require you to show proof that you haven't been affected financially?

People keep on harping back to 2007, we were building 40k houses mainly a year, builders were completing housing schemes before putting any house up for sale. Your average self employed neutral guy had 1-2 properties rented and had 110% mortgages on them, as well as maybe a pad being build off plans in Spain, banks were lending at 4-5 times incomes. A lot of people had no equity in there houses

Banks were sending out letters offering you personal loans pre approved.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

That was there parents assessment lads are predicting a 20%-drop. Even if they rent at 2/3 of that they cover mortgage repayments so that would allow them to travel if they do decide.

Great as long as they
    Stay together
    Interest rates don't rise.
    They don't get pregnant
    They can rent the house
    They dont want to emigrate
    One settles and doesn't want to go traveling anynore

For a couple who were giving everything up to see the world I can see a house outside limericks city being a great idea.
    Look it can work if people are very settled but when young couple on low incomes get talked into by their parents .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Time for buyers with approval and or cash to start playing hardball. Try push for real value and make estate agents earn their money. Anyone renting can try renegotiating downwards also or resist increases.

smurgen wrote: »
    Time for buyers with approval and or cash to start playing hardball. Try push for real value and make estate agents earn their money. Anyone renting can try renegotiating downwards also or resist increases.

I think that will be the order of the day fairly soon.

Gov have been advised that eviction ban and rent increase ban extension may give rise to court challanges by landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Someone in the currently buying selling thread did as you suggested:
    Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am looking for peoples experiences

I was interested in a property recently
    I had two bids rejected by vendor, waiting a week each time
    To hear the bad news back from them,

I was informed that I was the only bid in at the moment
    I checked daft last night and the property is now sale agreed

Should I have been given a call by the EA to inform of a new bid ? Perhaps not..
    3 days between my second failed bid and sale agreed
    I was preparing to go higher again but looks like I moved too slow

Cheers

Hardball turned into hard-luck. Maybe it will work next time, or the one after that.

cnocbui wrote: »

Hardball turned into hard-luck. Maybe it will work next time, or the one after that.

Meh. Worth multiple attempts in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

cnocbui wrote: »

In fairness, he offered only 15k under the asking, - doesn't sound like hardball to me, in those circumstances I would expect a call from the EA just to be kept up to date.

Indeed if I was a seller, I would expect the EA to contact every person who had made an offer now matter how far off the asking to give them a chance to reconsider before I went sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1sttimebuyer20

schmittel wrote: »
    In fairness, he offered only 15k under the asking, - doesn't sound like hardball to me, in those circumstances I would expect a call from the EA just to be kept up to date.

Indeed if I was a seller, I would expect the EA to contact every person who had made an offer now matter how far off the asking to give them a chance to reconsider before I went sale agreed.

I had a few viewings with DNG Doyle, never bid on any of the properties I viewed with them but always got a call when they felt they were at their highest bid to see if anyone that even viewed wanted to bid

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You must be ChancerDublinBoi from Adverts who kept low balling me on the monster power supply and who didn't get it, because IKnowaBargain from the Czech republic lived up to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

Deciding to put buying a house off until the market becomes more certain. Keeping an eye on daft etc for the time being but are relaxing our search. Have AIP, both steady jobs 80k+ combined, deposit saved, full HTB, both still living at home. Don’t see the point in buying an overpriced house (new build 3 bed semis starting at 380k in our area & anything reasonably priced needs a lot of work).
    I’d imagine there are others in the same position as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Only if you have no fixed requirements on what you want to buy . We looked for over a year and found one house we liked after viewing dozens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

hi! wrote: »
    Deciding to put buying a house off until the market becomes more certain. Keeping an eye on daft etc for the time being but are relaxing our search. Have AIP, both steady jobs 80k+ combined, deposit saved, full HTB, both still living at home. Don’t see the point in buying an overpriced house (new build 3 bed semis starting at 380k in our area & anything reasonably priced needs a lot of work).
    I’d imagine there are others in the same position as us.

I’m sure there plenty of people holding off for now on buying but on the flip side people want to get on with their lives and have a place to call their own so I can understand why a lot people are pressing on too.

Where I live in cork new 3 beds are the same price as your area and they are sold in last few weeks . Brother is in the market and it’s very competitive and no Covid discounts are being entertained by sellers so they are finding very stressful and frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

My brother put his house up for sale just before covid- a one off outside a commuter town around 550k. Took it down saying this year would be a write off and will try again next year for probably 50-100k less
    Estate agent told him to put it back up and has serious punters for it, I saw a few viewing it this week.
    I wouldn't have believed it only I saw them myself. He'll probably get 600k for it now! Paddy doesn't do rational thinking!

You can only do that if there is less buyers than sellers. At present there is more buyers than sellers. The fundamentals would suggest that this will be the same for a while yet..........lads that missed out in 2008-14 might miss out again as dip may be minor and short even of it dose happens.

There might be a property crush in 2034 and they might get lucky then

Slava Ukrainii

bdmc5 wrote: »
    I’m sure there plenty of people holding off for now on buying but on the flip side people want to get on with their lives and have a place to call their own so I can understand why a lot people are pressing on too.

Where I live in cork new 3 beds are the same price as your area and they are sold in last few weeks . Brother is in the market and it’s very competitive and no Covid discounts are being entertained by sellers so they are finding very stressful and frustrating.

Tell em to have patience and start low balling . The sooner sellers get used to this as the new normal the better it will be for everyone. The power dynamic has changed and sellers are to be price takers now. Estate agents would want to up the professionalism too. Too many Del Boy type characters who'll be out of the job unless they begin to start showing some transparency.

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    My brother put his house up for sale just before covid- a one off outside a commuter town around 550k. Took it down saying this year would be a write off and will try again next year for probably 50-100k less
    Estate agent told him to put it back up and has serious punters for it, I saw a few viewing it this week.
    I wouldn't have believed it only I saw them myself. He'll probably get 600k for it now! Paddy doesn't do rational thinking!

This idea that people that are willing to get on with it are irrational is not looking at the facts. Your brother proved one point people who do not need to sell when the market is down will not sell. 2008-14 was a crack like no other because there was too much distressed property, it was not just property there was distressed car and machinery auctions as well. There was a credit bubble as well as a property bubble

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement