Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

pinkwink3 wrote: »
    Just a question about the house I'm currently sale agreed on. At the viewing my husband and I asked for the auctioneer to confirm with the vendors that certain items were included in the sale, a swing set in the garden and light fixtures. He said it would take a day or so to get back to us. We put in our offer the following day and entered into a mini-bidding war over the following few days until we finally went sale agreed. It's now 2 weeks since we had the viewing (and a week since sale agreed) and no word from auctioneer about the items. I'm just looking for advice about if we should contact the auctioneer to ask again, or should we ask the solicitor to ask on our behalf?
    EAs are very forgetful about anything not directly related to the bid in my experience. I wouldn't see much harm in following up again.

I wouldn't involve your solicitor as presumably you wouldn't to insinuate that this should be tied up in the purchase process of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 arelyn

Hello guys

I need your advice on a pressing matter

Myself and wifey put a deposit towards a new development, everything has been going on smooth and building is taking shape only to be informed yesterday when we visited the site that we will have to cover the cost of flooring ( living room, entry corridor, kitchen, utility, staircase, landing, 4 rooms) all by ourselves

This came as a suprise to us as we were not informed this few weeks back when we visited the site. Although we love this new development based on many factors but we don't have the excess funds to cover the flooring although we will be open to a part funding

My question is

1. Do you think asking for some allowance towards the flooring is a waste of time and effort

2. What's the average cost( material and labour) of flooring a 4bedroom house base on experience and material ( laminate, carpet, tiles) used

Thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

arelyn wrote: »
    Hello guys

Myself and wifey put a deposit towards a new development, everything has been going on smooth and building is taking shape only to be informed yesterday when we visited the site that we will have to cover the cost of flooring ( living room, entry corridor, kitchen, utility, staircase, landing, 4 rooms) all by ourselves

This came as a suprise to us as we were not informed this few weeks back when we visited the site. Although we love this new development based on many factors but we don't have the excess funds to cover the flooring although we will be open to a part funding

My question is

1. Do you think asking for some allowance towards the flooring is a waste of time and effort

2. What's the average cost( material and labour) of flooring a 4bedroom house base on experience and material ( laminate, carpet, tiles) used

Thanks for your input
    when you paid your deposit, did it say that flooring would be included or that there would be an allowance for flooring?

If not, you are wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

To give you a ballpark, I just had a 3 bed done, carpet upstairs in all rooms, landing and stairs.
    Laminate in kitchen, living room, hallway and utility room. €2800 including vat and labour, it's not our principal home so that's about the minimum your looking at. You could easily blow that alone on a nice timber floor for the living room or kitchen.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Flooring generally isn't included in new builds, except perhaps tiled floors in bathrooms / kitchens where there may be a tiling allowance.

Flooring cost can vary a lot depending on the quality of stuff you put down and what you actually put down. Our 4 bed cost about 8k to floor, that was top quality laminate downtairs and carpets upstairs and stairs. Bathrooms not included as they were tiled. You could do it a lot cheaper if you went for cheaper laminate, and you could do it a LOT more expensive if you went for engineered wood floors.

Flooring is generally the single biggest cost when you buy a brand new house (ignoring stamp duty).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 arelyn

when you paid your deposit, did it say that flooring would be included or that there would be an allowance for flooring?

If not, you are wasting your time.

Thanks for your submission

We were not informed that we will be covering the flooring when we paid the deposit, we only got to know about this on our second visit to the site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

We were not informed that we will be covering the flooring when we paid the deposit, we only got to know about this on our second visit to the site

Unless you're told you're getting flooring, then you are not. It is not the case that you can presume you're getting flooring if nothing is said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Flooring is a personal choice like curtains and furniture, if developer was to put this in, you could be sure it would be the cheapest, blandest type available. You will have your choice of flooring based on taste and price, but at your expense. If it’s tongue & groove upstairs, sometimes this can be sanded and varnished as a temporary measure.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dav010 wrote: »
    Flooring is a personal choice like curtains and furniture, if developer was to put this in, you could be sure it would be the cheapest, blandest type available. You will have your choice of flooring based on taste and price, but at your expense. If it’s tongue & groove upstairs, sometimes this can be sanded and varnished as a temporary measure.

If it's a new house it'll be OSB upstairs and that's never going to look nice. Don't think actual floorboards are much of a thing any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

My solicitors sent funds to the developer solicitors last evening. Sale closed at 12pm today and had keys in the hand by 1.30! Finally an end to to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hello guys

My question is

Thanks for your input

Just flooring a 5 bedroom (well, 4 + one office room) now. Tiles & carpets - coming in just shy of 12k all in but is decent quality stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Buying a house. Vendors Solicitor is not doing thier job. Even the seller is ringing wondering what's is the hold up. Absolute ****ing shambles. Will be reporting her to the law society for all the good that that does

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Will be reporting her to the law society for all the good that that does

Good luck with that. It's generally a waste of time. Self regulation is no regulation.

Effects wrote: »
    Good luck with that. It's generally a waste of time. Self regulation is no regulation.

I know, pointless.

It's a shame that morons like that solicitor can hold up the whole show because they are useless. They must be too busy in thier second role as a ff councillor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

When my sister bought her house, she got a letter from revenue about non payment of stamp duty, 18 months later. Her own solicitor hadn't bothered to pay it, even though she had transferred the funds to him at the time. A lot of dodgy solicitors out there alright.

I did report a solicitor to the law society, who had stolen money from my dead mothers account, and then tried to charged me 600% more than he had originally quoted for a simple probate. Law society ruled it was only fair that I pay 300% more than what he had quoted. All a bunch of crooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,813 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My grandmother bought a house in Kinsale with a view to the harbor for her long-time housekeeper, on the proviso she leave it to my Uncle. Her solicitor somehow ended up with it. :rolleyes:

Effects wrote: »
    When my sister bought her house, she got a letter from revenue about non payment of stamp duty, 18 months later. Her own solicitor hadn't bothered to pay it, even though she had transferred the funds to him at the time. A lot of dodgy solicitors out there alright.

I did report a solicitor to the law society, who had stolen money from my dead mothers account, and then tried to charged me 600% more than he had originally quoted for a simple probate. Law society ruled it was only fair that I pay 300% more than what he had quoted. All a bunch of crooks.

I know my only real option is to bad mouthher round the town

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

How long does it typically take to hear back on offers? I put an offer in on Tuesday and there is one other bidder who offered at asking aswell. The estate agent said they arent hugely confident in her bid as she hasnt got a mortgage fully organised from what they can gather. I emailed yesterday and got a call back confirming the bid was in but still waiting on the other one. I was meant to get another one today to let me know if there are any other offers but didnt hear anything. Dont want to be hounding them but at the same time I want to get things going as soon as possible. Obviously Ill have to wait until Monday now but whats the rough ball park on time?

Salanky wrote: »
    How long does it typically take to hear back on offers? I put an offer in on Tuesday and there is one other bidder who offered at asking aswell. The estate agent said they arent hugely confident in her bid as she hasnt got a mortgage fully organised from what they can gather. I emailed yesterday and got a call back confirming the bid was in but still waiting on the other one. I was meant to get another one today to let me know if there are any other offers but didnt hear anything. Dont want to be hounding them but at the same time I want to get things going as soon as possible. Obviously Ill have to wait until Monday now but whats the rough ball park on time?

I offered on a Friday. Got a call back the saturday to say they'd accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Salanky wrote: »
    How long does it typically take to hear back on offers?
    . Not to disappoint but I've had an offer on 4 weeks now. They have acknowledged it but holding out for higher. We are the only bidders and have been for the past 4 weeks. Another offer was acknowledged and rejected within a week but it's still the highest offer they have (on a different property). I was told to expect a viewing cycle to hear back, usually 4-6 weeks but I'm not entirely sure. I've viewed the house a second time and told them we are open to negotiation but still... Nada. It's a painful process so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

Queenio wrote: »
    . Not to disappoint but I've had an offer on 4 weeks now. They have acknowledged it but holding out for higher. We are the only bidders and have been for the past 4 weeks. Another offer was acknowledged and rejected within a week but it's still the highest offer they have (on a different property). I was told to expect a viewing cycle to hear back, usually 4-6 weeks but I'm not entirely sure. I've viewed the house a second time and told them we are open to negotiation but still... Nada. It's a painful process so far

I think theres only the one round of viewing for this place. It was up last august and between probate and covid it ended up back on the market. I was told there was 50 people asking about it first, 30 then got sent a video viewing with maybe 8 groups of two at the viewing on Tuesday. I dont think theres a whole lot of real interest cause there is a fair bit of work needing to be done and I feel if people have bigger budgets they will discount this one because they could probably get a decent, ready to go house for another 30k which I dont have. Im generally a pretty patient person but not in this case....

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Queenio wrote: »

You need to set a time limit on your offer. Why would they not sit back and wait for higher knowing they’ve your offer as a fall back. You’re in a fairly strong position if you’re the only bidder so far. Tell them 48 hrs or something like that and your offer is off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Looks like I could be stuffed.

House I'm buying has contains rights of residence for two mentally disabled lads who havn't been made wards of court. Some barrister on the seller's side is apparently after doing some legal jiggerypokery to find a way out of this but he is taking in an awful long time to put it in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinkwink3

Wondering how long it took you to get the full mortgage approval. We went sale agreed at the start of the month and valuation was carried out late last week. I was hoping to hear back this week.

We went sale agreed on the 30th of June, contacted the bank(BOI) on the 1st, got up to date payslips etc, so by the time we were ready to send off for approval it was last Monday morning (6th) and we heard yesterday morning (Friday, the 10th) that we had full approval. We haven't had a valuation carried out yet, bank are going to organise that next week. I'm shocked at how fast it all seems to be happening, I was prepared for weeks upon weeks of waiting and hearing nothing. Hope you hear back soon!

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    EAs are very forgetful about anything not directly related to the bid in my experience. I wouldn't see much harm in following up again.

I wouldn't involve your solicitor as presumably you wouldn't to insinuate that this should be tied up in the purchase process of the house.

Thanks so much for your reply, we sent an email to EA yesterday, nothing back yet, but he's not great at replying to emails anyway so I'll allow him until Monday!! We mentioned it to the solicitor and he advised us to ask again, and if we don't hear back he will put the items into contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sale Agreed as of last week! We went 1.5% over asking price but we were happy enough to go ahead with it as it's going to be our long term home (plenty of potential once we can shake the money tree in a few years :D)

So we went to have a 3rd look at the house with a family member who's a DIY master (just before a surveyor goes in).

We knew it required a bit of work but were going to push it out by 5-6 years until we've saved up say half of the work & get a loan for the rest, but now we're thinking of splitting the work up of the must haves (e.g. rewire, walls skimmed & plastered) and do that before moving in and then the nice to haves (e.g. kitchen extension & attic conversion) 10 years so for example. Has anyone gone about getting a home improvement loan while awaiting draw-down, we're thinking around ~€20000. Has anyone got about this way? Any issues encountered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm in similar situation, I was wondering if it would be better to see out the initial mortgage period then remortgage the house with extra 30k(or whatever needed) seen as mortgage is cheapest loan you can get.

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi all

I am looking for peoples experiences

I was interested in a property recently
    I had two bids rejected by vendor, waiting a week each time
    To hear the bad news back from them,

I was informed that I was the only bid in at the moment
    I checked daft last night and the property is now sale agreed

Should I have been given a call by the EA to inform of a new bid ? Perhaps not..
    3 days between my second failed bid and sale agreed
    I was preparing to go higher again but looks like I moved too slow

Cheers :D

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi all

Should I have been given a call by the EA to inform of a new bid ? Perhaps not..

I was told by EA that he was legally obliged to go back to other bidder with each bid until one of us dropped out. I'd contact the EA on Monday and ask what the latest is with the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi all

God that's so frustrating. No advice but sorry to hear you're in that situation. I'd call EA and ask what the story is. You can put in an offer below the current sale agreed in case the sale falls througH maybe??

Advertisement