Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

kadman wrote: »
    Here is what your type 3 should sound like, my maiden voyage today after a long resto,

now just small bits a and maybe a respray, or maybe not.

:)

This looks (and sounds great) - I love the fastback shape - not really a fan of the squareback shape i must admit but i love this. (VW looked so much closer to Porsche back then, maybe that's what I like about this)

Well, we managed to move our VW today. It took hours as we only had an inch on each side (between the merc and the 504) and no way of getting to the tyres, or the steering wheel etc, so it was a slow process using some jacks and pulling it a few inches at a time. It's too dark to take photos now, but I'll get some tomorrow. It's in better nick than I thought so I'm quite happy with that. Seemed very solid when pulling it too.

My mum was delighted as she found some Horse Chestnuts in the glove compartment. She remembered picking them off a tree when herself and Dad broke down on their honeymoon and were waiting for the AA man to arrive - somewhere near Warrington I believe.

There's so much more to old cars than engines and chassis and body panels, isn't there? There are memories and secrets and character. Is that why we keep them?

On another note, we also brought this machine out into the daylight for the first time in a few years. Started like a dream on a newly charged battery, and drove perfectly. But then got stuck in third for some reason and now seems impossible to get back into neutral. Maybe someone here is familiar with old Ford 3000's and knows something I don't!

IMG-5519.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

alfa beta wrote: »

My mum was delighted as she found some Horse Chestnuts in the glove compartment. She remembered picking them off a tree when herself and Dad broke down on their honeymoon and were waiting for the AA man to arrive - somewhere near Warrington I believe.

There's so much more to old cars than engines and chassis and body panels, isn't there?

What a lovely thing, this thread is the thread that just keeps giving!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The squareback must hold a special place in your mums heart.
    Maybe thats the one to keep. Get it running and drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

alfa beta wrote: »
    On another note, we also brought this machine out into the daylight for the first time in a few years. Started like a dream on a newly charged battery, and drove perfectly. But then got stuck in third for some reason and now seems impossible to get back into neutral. Maybe someone here is familiar with old Ford 3000's and knows something I don't!

IMG-5519.jpg
    Lift the gear levers and align the two selectors rods, you will see the two squares and align them,then replace the gear levers with a bit of sealant. The gear levers wear as do the selectors and one slips out of the other so be gentle when changing gear..............................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ive changed my mind, keep the squareback !!!

• Advertisement

Mum might like to see the squareback everyday for the happy memories, then again she might not want to be reminded
    of all the happy memories by seeing the car everyday.
    Its a funny thing like that.

I remember similar circumstances in my own family. And it was too painful for some family members to be reminded
    by all the items of the deceased member, so they were sold on. Its a very individual thing.

There is probably a long list of people who would love that car, me included.

But I still think you should hang on to it. Or at least let it go to someone who would put it back on the road.
    Its probably worth more to break it for parts, which is a sad thing,than sell it as it is.
    And that would be sacrilegious in my view to such a car.

It needs to be on the road and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Whats under the tarm to the left of the merc?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

At this rate, I'll be pretty disappointed if it's not a space shuttle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

DB5..............................................................;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

stock> wrote: »
    DB5..............................................................;);)

Or perhaps a DeLorean, driven once and parked up.

• Advertisement

Morris Eight (from 1940s)

Here are some photos of the VW Variant / Squareback now that it's emerged from its cocoon and can actually be seen from more angles than the rear.

IMG-5524.jpg

IMG-5525.jpg

IMG-5527.jpg
    IMG-5534.jpg
    IMG-5530.jpg

Definitely the squareback would be my favourite:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Quick question whats the difference between red and black plates?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Red plates go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Silver on black was the standard from 1904-1974.
    When Irl joined the EEC in 1974, black on red (rear) and black on white (front) became the new standard. UK joined at the same time, but chose yellow for the rear plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Besides the sills, the VW doesn't look too bad? Hard to tell how much is just surface rust...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Digression. I see a lot of love for that VW squareback. FD: never saw one in my life living in the US. I've ridden in a lot of different VW's, Dashers Karmann-Ghias, Scirocco, Buses, Rabbits, Golfs, Beetles of many eras, Passatsand I even owned an Audi for 10 years, which was the best car I've ever owned. Why so much love for what looks like a pokey box that doesn't seem like it'll handle or ride well nor be particularly quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Igotadose wrote: »
    Digression. I see a lot of love for that VW squareback. FD: never saw one in my life living in the US. I've ridden in a lot of different VW's, Dashers Karmann-Ghias, Scirocco, Buses, Rabbits, Golfs, Beetles of many eras, Passatsand I even owned an Audi for 10 years, which was the best car I've ever owned. Why so much love for what looks like a pokey box that doesn't seem like it'll handle or ride well nor be particularly quick?

It's all about nostalgia. 0-100 times rarely come into the classic car owner's mind.

Also, as your post confirms: They're rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It's all about nostalgia. 0-100 times rarely come into the classic car owner's mind.

100%. It's the car you wanted as a kid or one you had as young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...and hindsight being the wonderful thing that it is, there was a time when the squareback, fastback and - Variant - were worth, literally nothing.

I remember a dark red 412LE - the fuel injected Type 4 - being literally left to rot on the side of the road, here: https://goo.gl/maps/u6MneL9b9ghuwq7j9

Oooh to have that now..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Well....I'd take it in a heartbeat if the rust wasn't excessive, above any of the rest of them, but thats just me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,814 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not just you, both the variant and the fastback have always been my favourite VWs, good few of them around when I was growing up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I used to work with a man in the 70's who had a variant. We'd collect stock from a warehouse every week, and deliver it to various outlets. I was always amazed at the amount of stuff you could cram in the back.
    We lost touch, and years later I bumped into a fella who knew him in the trade back then.
    Have to say... I got a bit of a fright when I was told that the 'stock' we were collecting, was.... well, not being 'collected' as such, more like 'acquired without payment'....
    Seemingly he'd been caught one morning, arrested, and spent some time behind bars.....

The only thing I could think of saying was...
    'Wonder what ever happened the VW ?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭wildwillow

swarlb wrote: »
    I used to work with a man in the 70's who had a variant. We'd collect stock from a warehouse every week, and deliver it to various outlets. I was always amazed at the amount of stuff you could cram in the back.
    We lost touch, and years later I bumped into a fella who knew him in the trade back then.
    Have to say... I got a bit of a fright when I was told that the 'stock' we were collecting, was.... well, not being 'collected' as such, more like 'acquired without payment'....
    Seemingly he'd been caught one morning, arrested, and spent some time behind bars.....

The only thing I could think of saying was...
    'Wonder what ever happened the VW ?'

This thread just keeps giving.
    There is a mini series or a book here with the main story and all the side avenues.

I remember back in the day when we used to go across the border with the fastback.
    On the way back when we hit the checkpoint the guard asked to see into the boot at the customs
    checkpoint.

He walked around the back where 99% of all boots on cars were at the time.
    Checked it out, saw the normal every day shop, shuffled around, and waved us through.

Good job he never knew there was a bigger front boot on these, than there was in the rear.

It was like duty free at the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

kadman wrote: »
    I remember back in the day when we used to go across the border with the fastback.
    On the way back when we hit the checkpoint the guard asked to see into the boot at the customs
    checkpoint.

He walked around the back where 99% of all boots on cars were at the time.
    Checked it out, saw the normal every day shop, shuffled around, and waved us through.

Good job he never knew there was a bigger front boot on these, than there was in the rear.

It was like duty free at the airport

How did you stop the Kerrygold melting? :p

Kerrygold was in the front, along with all the other goodies,

well away from the heat:D:D

• Advertisement

I'm sure everyone's forgotten about the original car in this thread by now, but here's some footage of a 504 diesel in action on the fine roads of '80s West Clare: https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21267864-potholes-in-west-clare/

Advertisement