Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Can you ask the EA what figure the sellers are holding out for? If you're 4% under asking I can't imagine the gap is huge between what you're offering and the current asking price - it's up to you if the house is worth the extra 4% (assuming the asking price is a price the beneficiaries will accept...which is why asking the EA can help).
    This would hit me as good advice, as if the house has been up for a while the EA is probably as eager as anyone to just close the process out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I had a second offer rejected today on a house,

I offered 15 under the asking,

In two minds to go up further, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Can you ask the EA what figure the sellers are holding out for? If you're 4% under asking I can't imagine the gap is huge between what you're offering and the current asking price - it's up to you if the house is worth the extra 4% (assuming the asking price is a price the beneficiaries will accept...which is why asking the EA can help).

You're probably right. If EA gets in touch this week I'll ask no harm. House has never been sale agreed that I can tell. It's in south dublin. 4% under asking doesn't seem like a huge drop but considering they have already dropped the price and we are offering 10% less than that original price I can understand the hesitantancy. As mentioned they may not even want the asking price and might be looking for higher.

Fun tidbit: my cousin is trying to buy in the Bronx and was bidding 500k at asking. House sold for 800k. All nycers who can afford it moving out of manhattan bc they want gardens etc after lockdown. What a crazy price jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Can anybody give me an idea of how long it usually takes to get a valuation done on a property?
    We're sale agreed on a new build. The house is ready to go.
    Broker said they would instruct the valuer to go take a look at the property over 2 weeks ago but still nothing yet. When I ask about it, they say they're still waiting. I'm just wondering if it usually takes this long?

Depends on the bank, some seem quicker than others. UB prioritised ours & it took a week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Got AIP from AIB last Friday, already put an offer on a house today (after viewing 4 over the last month).
    Don't have a solicitor just yet, now is probably the right time to get one ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Got AIP from AIB last Friday, already put an offer on a house today (after viewing 4 over the last month).

Definitely - the Estate Agent will want to know who your solicitor is fairly early on, if your offer is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭harvindhillon

Yea you should have one already lined up as the contracts shall get sent to your solicitor once sale agreed.

Yea you should have one already lined up as the contracts shall get sent to your solicitor once sale agreed.

will get on it asap, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Demur2020

Smouse156 wrote: »
    You say you re-negotiated, did the house sell below the 345k?

Yes - but not for the 310k the original valuer put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Looked at a house this week. There's been offers we're told. EA has said they'll accept 5K under asking price. But guess what, they've just put a tenant in there for next 6 months. Is that not the maddest thing? So we could sale agree but have to wait 6 months for the tenant to move out? This house was previously sale agreed and fell thro. It just seems that while they're prepared to drop a few grand, they're trying to get it back by renting it in the meantime! Getting v fed up with the lack of decent houses on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

73trix wrote: »
    Looked at a house this week. There's been offers we're told. EA has said they'll accept 5K under asking price. But guess what, they've just put a tenant in there for next 6 months. Is that not the maddest thing? So we could sale agree but have to wait 6 months for the tenant to move out? This house was previously sale agreed and fell thro. It just seems that while they're prepared to drop a few grand, they're trying to get it back by renting it in the meantime! Getting v fed up with the lack of decent houses on the market.

It will take about 4-5 month's from When your offer is accepted anyways. Its a slow moving process. It also means you buy a house When the tenant's are still there. They could do some damage.and its Between you and them as its your house. They might not move out either causing more problems. Unless you buy the house as a vacant possession i think stated in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Limpy wrote: »
    It will take about 4-5 month's from When your offer is accepted anyways. Its a slow moving process. It also means you buy a house When the tenant's are still there. They could do some damage.and its Between you and them as its your house. They might not move out either causing more problems. Unless you buy the house as a vacant possession i think stated in the contract.

We've no interest in it now that the owners have decided to put in a tenant after putting the house on the market. That's worse than having them in before putting it on the market. It's too complicated so we're walking away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Just seen a house go up on daft that was sold 2 months ago and on PPR its dated 18/6. There has been no changes to the property and its in a desirable enough location. Any reason why you would buy and then 2 months later sell? The asking price is what they paid. They paid 5k over asking 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Just seen a house go up on daft that was sold 2 months ago and on PPR its dated 18/6. There has been no changes to the property and its in a desirable enough location. Any reason why you would buy and then 2 months later sell? The asking price is what they paid. They paid 5k over asking 2 months ago.

They hired a lazy engineer ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Can I offer below the current highest bid on a house?

We like it, but we're not willing to go higher than our limit, so I'd still like to be in the race in case the highest bidder withdraws.
    Is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Nightmare neighbours?
    Would love to see the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Nightmare neighbours?
    Would love to see the house.

Yeah I was thinking that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

My first thought would be a covid-related change in finances. There's a lot of med-tech and tech companies out that way right?

I have done this. Offer was over asking and fell through quickly. A lot of offers are apparently at the minute. I've ended up highest bidder but the vendor has rejected our offer as too low. They have had no further offers in a month. I've been following offers on sherryfitz.ie where they publish them. My mortgage broker told me people often hear back about their offers when others higher have fallen through. No harm. Nothing to lose if the sale proceeds. If it falls through you could be in luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We like it, but we're not willing to go higher than our limit, so I'd still like to be in the race in case the highest bidder withdraws.
    Is this normal?

I approached an REA and asked them to pass on my expression of interst to the owner when a property was sale agreed. They refused. I went to the council, got the planning application, found the builders name, looked up the builder and rang them and they agreed to pass my phone number to the seller.

I wasn't expecting anything, but got a call and apparently the bidder was messing them around big time with delays in proceeding. We were invited to meet the following day at the house to be shown around (new build first fixing stage) I was asked would I be interested in matching the current bidders price, if so, I could have it if I could agree on no messing and to progress the purchase with haste. I agreed in principle dependent on the bank, and then contacted same on the Monday. I think we had an interview with the bank 2 days later and they agreed. Not hard given we had 100% equity in our existing home. The loan was basically for the full amount. If I recall correctly with a lot of pushing on our part, it was sorted in about a month.

A bit awkward for my wife when she attended a meeting at work where the original bidder we snatched it from was present. :D

• Advertisement

Queenio wrote: »
    I have done this. Offer was over asking and fell through quickly. A lot of offers are apparently at the minute. I've ended up highest bidder but the vendor has rejected our offer as too low. They have had no further offers in a month. I've been following offers on sherryfitz.ie where they publish them. My mortgage broker told me people often hear back about their offers when others higher have fallen through. No harm. Nothing to lose if the sale proceeds. If it falls through you could be in luck

Where do they show offers on the sherryfitz website??
    I didn't think this was a thing

If you register at mysherryfitz.ie you can see bids on properties. At least I can see bids on the one I have an offer on. And how many bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

You can only see the ones you are bidding on :)

You can only see the ones you are bidding on :)

You can also only bid higher than the current highest bid. So if you want to bid lower in case an offer falls through you have to email the agent. But I still like that is visible online

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

Queenio wrote: »

I had forgotten about the Sherry Fitz thing, just put an offer in with them yesterday so assuming they use the website it will come in handy for watching other offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinkwink3

Just a question about the house I'm currently sale agreed on. At the viewing my husband and I asked for the auctioneer to confirm with the vendors that certain items were included in the sale, a swing set in the garden and light fixtures. He said it would take a day or so to get back to us. We put in our offer the following day and entered into a mini-bidding war over the following few days until we finally went sale agreed. It's now 2 weeks since we had the viewing (and a week since sale agreed) and no word from auctioneer about the items. I'm just looking for advice about if we should contact the auctioneer to ask again, or should we ask the solicitor to ask on our behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

pinkwink3 wrote: »
    Just a question about the house I'm currently sale agreed on. At the viewing my husband and I asked for the auctioneer to confirm with the vendors that certain items were included in the sale, a swing set in the garden and light fixtures. He said it would take a day or so to get back to us. We put in our offer the following day and entered into a mini-bidding war over the following few days until we finally went sale agreed. It's now 2 weeks since we had the viewing (and a week since sale agreed) and no word from auctioneer about the items. I'm just looking for advice about if we should contact the auctioneer to ask again, or should we ask the solicitor to ask on our behalf?
    If you are sale agreed you need to know what is abd isn't included. Some furniture was included in our sale and the solicitors included this in the contract. If auctioneers are dragging their heels just ask solicitors to contact theirs. Its no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinkwink3

If you are sale agreed you need to know what is abd isn't included. Some furniture was included in our sale and the solicitors included this in the contract. If auctioneers are dragging their heels just ask solicitors to contact theirs. Its no harm
    Thanks so much for your reply. I sent an email asking the auctioneer directly, so waiting now for him to reply, and if he doesn't I'll get the solicitor to take over. We heard from the bank this morning that we have our full mortgage approval, and our solicitor has said that he'll push for a closing date of a month from now. How exciting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you believe that certain items were included in the agreed sale price, but the EA isn't comminicating that back to you... then ask your solicitor add a line into the contracts... Then it is up to the vendor to dispute the agreement and they will be in the weaker position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Thanks so much for your reply. I sent an email asking the auctioneer directly, so waiting now for him to reply, and if he doesn't I'll get the solicitor to take over. We heard from the bank this morning that we have our full mortgage approval, and our solicitor has said that he'll push for a closing date of a month from now. How exciting!!!

Wondering how long it took you to get the full mortgage approval. We went sale agreed at the start of the month and valuation was carried out late last week. I was hoping to hear back this week.

Advertisement