Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respawn Jedi Fallen Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Got my platinum last night and in the end, I thoroughly loved this game. Thankfully I had the majority of work done by endgame and only needed an hour of tidying up for the platinum.

The story, combat, challenge, exploration etc. were excellent. My only minor complaints were the desyncing of sound and infrequent graphical hiccups.

Hope there's more games like this on the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished it today. My general impression still stands: an OK cocktail of better games. But, without going into spoilers, can I just say how weird it is that the story only really gets going in like the last two or three hours? I mean, it’s cool that some of the best stuff is at the end - usually games just run out of steam and bore well before the credits. But this almost has the opposite problem - couldn’t have cared less why I was going to such-and-such a planet to pick up a mysterious doo-dad for most of the game, but then suddenly hit with surprisingly interesting character moments, story beats, and reflections on the nature of the Jedi / Force?

It’s still not a great story by any means, but it’s a pretty solid one - just with the strangest pacing. There was actually some sequences I thought would have worked better earlier in the game
    like repairing your lightsaber.
    A weird experience to only become properly invested in a game in the last quarter, but hey at least it goes out well.

Fair assessment, one character in particular could have done with being introduced a hell of a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Finished it today. My general impression still stands: an OK cocktail of better games. But, without going into spoilers, can I just say how weird it is that the story only really gets going in like the last two or three hours? I mean, it’s cool that some of the best stuff is at the end - usually games just run out of steam and bore well before the credits. But this almost has the opposite problem - couldn’t have cared less why I was going to such-and-such a planet to pick up a mysterious doo-dad for most of the game, but then suddenly hit with surprisingly interesting character moments, story beats, and reflections on the nature of the Jedi / Force?

It’s still not a great story by any means, but it’s a pretty solid one - just with the strangest pacing. There was actually some sequences I thought would have worked better earlier in the game
    like repairing your lightsaber.
    A weird experience to only become properly invested in a game in the last quarter, but hey at least it goes out well.

I also thought
    that the double ended lightsaber was introduced too late in the game as there wasn't really any new enemy types introduced that required its use and by that stage of the game I already had a good rhythm using the standard lightsaber so had no cause to use it really. At least it looks cool

• Registered Users Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I also thought
    that the double ended lightsaber was introduced too late in the game as there wasn't really any new enemy types introduced that required its use and by that stage of the game I already had a good rhythm using the standard lightsaber so had no cause to use it really. At least it looks cool

I'd actually read some tips on how to get it fairly early in the game by going to Dathomir when it's first available and pretty much running past enemies (as they're difficult to deal with that early in the game). You can get it from a workbench near where you can't jump past to get to the temple.

Felt to me like single lightsaber worked better one-on-one or with one or two tough enemies with stronger blocking, but double lightsaber worked better where you're mobbed by easier to kill enemies like animals/nightsisters.
    Also, I think johnny was talking about the part where you go to the Jedi Temple to repair your lightsaber, and how it was fairly late in the story and might have served the story better happening earlier, rather than getting the double-lightsaber. Which I'd agree with as the story was languishing a bit up until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Penn wrote: »
    I'd actually read some tips on how to get it fairly early in the game by going to Dathomir when it's first available and pretty much running past enemies (as they're difficult to deal with that early in the game). You can get it from a workbench near where you can't jump past to get to the temple.

Felt to me like single lightsaber worked better one-on-one or with one or two tough enemies with stronger blocking, but double lightsaber worked better where you're mobbed by easier to kill enemies like animals/nightsisters.
    Also, I think johnny was talking about the part where you go to the Jedi Temple to repair your lightsaber, and how it was fairly late in the story and might have served the story better happening earlier, rather than getting the double-lightsaber. Which I'd agree with as the story was languishing a bit up until then.
    Ah ok! I didn't go to Dathomir until the story brought me there and didn't get that upgrade until the snowy jedi temple so I take back what I said!

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Ah ok! I didn't go to Dathomir until the story brought me there and didn't get that upgrade until the snowy jedi temple so I take back what I said!

I think there's a few different places you can get it, just I'd read the Dathomir one was the earliest place (though I didn't go straight for it, did the first part of Zeffo first). I even missed out on some other workbench upgrades until after I'd already finished the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I got it pretty early without even knowing it existed: popped back to Bogano after my first trip to Zeffo IIRC and just stumbled across it during some exploration. One of the few times digging around led to a worthwhile reward! Used it a lot during the game as a result.

The
    splittable saber
    is a pretty neat late game weapon but as with a lot of things in the game I just felt they never quite figured out how to properly balance force energy - felt artificially confined IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah I got it pretty early without even knowing it existed: popped back to Bogano after my first trip to Zeffo IIRC and just stumbled across it during some exploration. One of the few times digging around led to a worthwhile reward! Used it a lot during the game as a result.

The
    splittable saber
    is a pretty neat late game weapon but as with a lot of things in the game I just felt they never quite figured out how to properly balance force energy - felt artificially confined IMO.

this is probably my biggest complaint (outside of the slidey sections) - you never really felt powerful, unlike in a souls game, where early enemies become fodder, but can still wreck you if you're careless. In this, even late game stun baton troopers can gang up on you and wreck your day. - the poise element is broken too imo - you can keep wailing away on an enemy to break their guard, only for them to completely recover almost instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Finished this over the weekend and only three trophies off the platinum - 3 enemies with one lightsaber throw, big bang (20 enemies with explosives) and slice the oggdo's tongue. Going to try do them later to box it all off although no idea where or how - apart from oggdo.

Overall thoughts are that i really enjoyed the game - easily a 8/10 for me. On the PS4 pro the graphics were class as was the music and general level design, story really got going near the end which does make me wonder why certain elements weren't introduced earlier.

I am not sure how many hours i put into the game but the lack of fast travel hurt it particularly when revisiting a planet, i spent a lot of time roaming around trying to get the last few chests etc. A lot of the planets are maze like and a lot of one way roads which was a pain at times.

I'd love some DLC with it although i was quite over powered by the end fight (maybe i should have turned the difficulty up). Respawn really do single player games well and call me old fashioned but they are still my favourite type of game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

jones wrote: »
    Finished this over the weekend and only three trophies off the platinum - 3 enemies with one lightsaber throw, big bang (20 enemies with explosives) and slice the oggdo's tongue. Going to try do them later to box it all off although no idea where or how - apart from oggdo.
    There's a place on Kashyyk with 3 missile troopers on a ledge. There's a rest spot down a zipline from them it's a good place to farm the explosives trophy. You can get the lightsaber throw there too if you sneak up on them.

Evade wrote: »
    There's a place on Kashyyk with 3 missile troopers on a ledge. There's a rest spot down a zipline from them it's a good place to farm the explosives trophy. You can get the lightsaber throw there too if you sneak up on them.

I know the exact place you are talking about very good idea!!!

Evade wrote: »

Yeah it's a decent spot for the explosives alright. Takes a bit of getting used to and I was very late in the game before I even tried it, never mind doing it with any great consistency, but it's great once you start flinging their missiles back at them.

Can't even remember getting the lightsaber throw one.

The Oggdo tongue one tip:
    I thought you had to slow time when his tongue is out and then cut it off, leading to a lot of fails. You actually need to Force Pull him, his tongue will come out, then you slice it.

Yeah it's a decent spot for the explosives alright. Takes a bit of getting used to and I was very late in the game before I even tried it, never mind doing it with any great consistency, but it's great once you start flinging their missiles back at them.

Can't even remember getting the lightsaber throw one.

The Oggdo tongue one tip:
    I thought you had to slow time when his tongue is out and then cut it off, leading to a lot of fails. You actually need to Force Pull him, his tongue will come out, then you slice it.

Wow I did not know that thanks

Just bought this from the PS store. Usually go disk but I'm minimising disk purchases now due to the current...situation.
    Looking forward to a simple, linear campaign as I've been playing games with a lot of bloat of late which has left me exhausted.

Loved this game so much, you're in for a treat. One of the few games I platinumed.

I dropped the difficulty down and didn't regret it, if anything I enjoyed the game more.

Theres the basis of an even better game next time out there. I think I mentioned before I liked the characters and plot more than the films in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not but there doesn't seem to be a path toward. I'm in the Haxion Fight Pit . I've killed the first wave of enemies. Fire fly things a big massive monster and a big spider . They are all dead but there nothing else coming to fight me not is there an open path. Am I at fault here or is this a glitch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not but there doesn't seem to be a path toward. I'm in the Haxion Fight Pit . I've killed the first wave of enemies. Fire fly things a big massive monster and a big spider . They are all dead but there nothing else coming to fight me not is there an open path. Am I at fault here or is this a glitch ?

Sounds like a glitch, game has a bit of a rep for them. Shut it down and reload it, you might not even have to do the fighting again as there is a checkpoint during that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

Just deleted this in a fit of pique after I couldn't beat the last (?) boss. Was enjoying it up until then but I think games like this just do my brains cos I'm plodding along, fully aware that eventually I'm gonna have to fight some big lad and it's gonna take me hours and I don't even feel much satisfaction when I've defeated them! Just feel 'well I wasted ages having to learn how to beat that ****'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got the plat a few weeks ago, loved the game personally,hope there's another one but its in dire need of a fast travel option as trying to navigate that map is a chore.

dohboy wrote: »
    Just deleted this in a fit of pique after I couldn't beat the last (?) boss. Was enjoying it up until then but I think games like this just do my brains cos I'm plodding along, fully aware that eventually I'm gonna have to fight some big lad and it's gonna take me hours and I don't even feel much satisfaction when I've defeated them! Just feel 'well I wasted ages having to learn how to beat that ****'

The last boss is really easy to cheese with
    the dual lightsaber attack on L1+triangle. Just freeze her and close in and hit her with it, every time you heal you replenish your force, rinse repeat.
    I got the plat a few weeks ago, loved the game personally,hope there's another one but its in dire need of a fast travel option as trying to navigate that map is a chore.

I don't feel like it needed one when you are first exploring the world but they at least should have added the option for the post-game

Markitron wrote: »
    The last boss is really easy to cheese with
    the dual lightsaber attack on L1+triangle. Just freeze her and close in and hit her with it, every time you heal you replenish your force, rinse repeat.

I don't feel like it needed one when you are first exploring the world but they at least should have added the option for the post-game

Yeah it was definitely the post-game where the lack of it really stood out. Travelling back to the depths of Dathomir in particular for a few collectibles was a right pain, and isn't helped by the pretty awful map where paths can overlap or overlay, but it's not clear which path is the actual entry point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Don't get me started on post game collectibles, was following a video but omg what a chore.

Yeah it was definitely the post-game where the lack of it really stood out. Travelling back to the depths of Dathomir in particular for a few collectibles was a right pain, and isn't helped by the pretty awful map where paths can overlap or overlay, but it's not clear which path is the actual entry point.

I had most of the collectibles by the time I finished the game but christ trying to interpret those maps when revisiting was like advanced physics sometimes.

Call me weird - trying to figure out the map was one of my favourite parts. Kind of reminded me of some of the best parts in Arkham games for some reason. Personally had no issue with the lack of fast travel as traversal didn't feel as repetitive as say something like Vampyr.

I honestly didn't mind it either, trying to work out the fastest route reminded me of Metroid Prime. It was a bit of a pain in the post game though cos, unlike Metroid Prime, the areas are not connected to each other and each map has one entrance/exit.

Advertisement