Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The reality is that traffic patterns and planning permission in and around Phoenix Park assumed a certain amount of access which has now been unilaterally blocked by the OPW.

If they want to permanently close gates then do the appropriate research when things get back to normal and make informed decisions; not making changes in the name of social distancing and pandemic mitigation and then just keeping them because reasons.

I'll ask again.

What do I do with my two year old and her buggy? Throw it on the back of a bike?

How do older people get there? Should we put our grannies on the crossbar?

Jesus.

Public transport, like every other city in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Caranica wrote: »
    Castleknock is an even bigger bottleneck than it already was now. Had to pick up something in parcel motel on a Sunday recently. Not including the stop it took me 30 minutes to get from Blanchardstown to Castleknock and back, at 11am on a Sunday morning. That's with no church services on!

Theres been a number of changes.

Against local objections, Lidl was built bang in the middle of the bottleneck and to compound that they add another junction to the bottleneck and another light change.
    They've closed the side gates. Pushes more traffic to the same bottleneck.
    They increased the wait time for traffic at the bottleneck, indeed all lights to give pedestrians more time to cross.

Triple whammy. Even before lock down they had made it dramatically worse. It no accident that they keep making changes to degrade the road network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Public transport, like every other city in Europe

Let me guess woody. You don't have kids?

I'll take another stab in the dark. You either live very close to the park or are very keen on cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

bubblypop wrote: »
    Non city traffic? Do you mean people travelling out of the city?
    They don't need to go into the village, so can't see how they would make a difference.
    Commuters going to & from castleknock & Blanch probably go through the village, but then they probably always did anyway.

There are huge bottlenecks on the Castleknock Rd and College Rd for example. Partly due to a signalling issue on traffic lights in the village that was amended, but largely due to the concentration of traffic on the Castleknock Gate.

People in the area are confronted with this daily. As another poster noted it takes a huge amount of time to get around now, and will only get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'll ask again.

What do I do with my two year old and her buggy? Throw it on the back of a bike?

How do older people get there? Should we put our grannies on the crossbar?

Jesus.
    Is there no other way to travel apart from car or bike?
    Jesus indeed!

Jesus indeed!

The buses all go through the same bottleneck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Jesus indeed!

No, is the short answer.

It just makes going to the park a lot longer and a lot more hassle for a lot of people.

Also have the effect of doing the same for lot of local journeys in the surrounding area.

Most people, who are mostly not effected, aren't going to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a quote from an email I received from Jack Chamber's office by way of an update on my representations to him.

"We have continued to receive similar feedback from other local residents and we are raising this with the OPW directly. There should be consultation and engagement with the public regarding proposed changes. We will request that this happens and I'll keep you posted on the feedback."

This is certainly a live and far from settled issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

hardybuck wrote: »
    There are huge bottlenecks on the Castleknock Rd and College Rd for example. Partly due to a signalling issue on traffic lights in the village that was amended, but largely due to the concentration of traffic on the Castleknock Gate.

People in the area are confronted with this daily. As another poster noted it takes a huge amount of time to get around now, and will only get worse.

That signaling issue outside Myos was lethal. The amount of near accidents because of the second light is crazy.

All Eyes On Rafah

That signaling issue outside Myos was lethal. The amount of near accidents because of the second light is crazy.

There should be room for a left hand filter lane at Myos coming from College Road - but that's probably another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Looks like Dundrum getting the restrictive treatment as well

Great news

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1280543224638197765?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

micar wrote: »

Great news

Artist's sketch looks like a ****hole :p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Great news

I assume that businesses will be pleased with this news given the ample evidence that pedestrians and cyclists will spend more than those driving.

Great news

Dundrum village is dead and has been for some time.

That particular area around the old shopping centre has very little footfall or traffic due to the new shopping centre up the road being the main draw to the area.

The main changes I see are to put in some better urban design - and D15 could do with similar.

The Council in Dun Laoghaire had already reassigned road space in places like Dalkey, Blackrock and Sandycove to allow more room for outdoor dining and walking and cycling and to try and revitalise these urban villages, so thats no surprise.

What does that have to do with the Phoenix Park though?

I assume that businesses will be pleased with this news given the ample evidence that pedestrians and cyclists will spend more than those driving.

Can't be many people walking and cycling from D15 to Dumdum though....

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

hardybuck wrote: »
    Should we have nuclear power and inner city incinerators too?

We have an incinerator within 3km of O’Connell Street and we stripped Europe’s largest pristine blanket bogs which happened to be incredible stores of cO2 and burnt them for electricity....sure we’re great. Should we have nuclear? Yes possibly because when a wind farm is proposed there’s an issue, solar an issue, wave an issue so at this stage we’re kind of running out of options.

Now at the first sign of taking cars out of a recreational space people have a **** fit lest it makes it a little inconvenient to continue to commute by car.

In the interest of being magnanimous how about the main road is open from 7 - 9 one way toward town then 5 - 7 the opposite way out of town and one entire lane is for cyclists only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Rosser wrote: »
    We have an incinerator within 3km of O’Connell Street and we stripped Europe’s largest pristine blanket bogs which happened to be incredible stores of cO2 and burnt them for electricity....sure we’re great. Should we have nuclear? Yes possibly because when a wind farm is proposed there’s an issue, solar an issue, wave an issue so at this stage we’re kind of running out of options.

Now at the first sign of taking cars out of a recreational space people have a **** fit lest it makes it a little inconvenient to continue to commute by car.

In the interest of being magnanimous how about the main road is open from 7 - 9 one way toward town then 5 - 7 the opposite way out of town and one entire lane is for cyclists only.

THe plan is to connect to France and that has nuclear

• Advertisement

Rosser wrote: »

That incinerator looks terrible. It's real Mad Max stuff to see the clouds pouring out of it...

https://plumeplotter.com/poolbeg/

During the lockdown there's been problems with traffic and parking in the park especially at weekends in good weather. So that's not commuters.

But there's no compromise needed. Just close all the gates. Best time to trial it is now. Do it for 12 months and see where we are.

I was very pleased to receive an updated email from Minister of State Chambers a little while ago.

"Further to our previous correspondence and following representations I submitted on your behalf, I have been informed by my colleague in the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform with responsibility for the OPW Minister Patrick O’Donovan in a discussion this afternoon that all of the Phoenix Park gates that were recently closed will reopen from tomorrow, with the exception of the Knockmaroon Gate which will reopen when the works being carried out on these gates are completed. A process of consultation and engagement will commence in the coming period on any future plans for the Park."

I'm pleased sense has prevailed within OPW and there has been a realisation, if not by them, then by their superiors that unilateral, over-zealous measures without sufficient public consultation that goes beyond narrow interests and noisy lobbies, is vital for such things.

I'll be pleased to make a submission on returning parking to the main Avenue etc, at that forum, but in the meantime hopefully the Park will be enjoyed by as many people as possible for the remainder of this summer.

Stay safe everyone.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I was very pleased to receive an updated email from Minister of State Chambers a little while ago.

"Further to our previous correspondence and following representations I submitted on your behalf, I have been informed by my colleague in the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform with responsibility for the OPW Minister Patrick O’Donovan in a discussion this afternoon that all of the Phoenix Park gates that were recently closed will reopen from tomorrow, with the exception of the Knockmaroon Gate which will reopen when the works being carried out on these gates are completed. A process of consultation and engagement will commence in the coming period on any future plans for the Park."

I'm pleased sense has prevailed within OPW and there has been a realisation, if not by them, then by their superiors that unilateral, over-zealous measures without sufficient public consultation that goes beyond narrow interests and noisy lobbies, is vital for such things.

I'll be pleased to make a submission on returning parking to the main Avenue etc, at that forum, but in the meantime hopefully the Park will be enjoyed by as many people as possible for the remainder of this summer.

Stay safe everyone.

what a pity. Plus ca change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nailed it. They've a nasty permissive culture of being passively aggressive towards those who pay their wages.

Nailed it. They've a nasty permissive culture of being passively aggressive towards those who pay their wages.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think they've perhaps been too reactive to the demands of a quite vocal cycling lobby.

I could understand how some very short term temporary changes were needed at the height of the C19 restrictions, but it was an error of judgement to maintain the changes when restrictions eased.

They've done extensive consultation regarding other potential changes to the park - and whatever they do next they should do the job right.

Yeah, I'd agree completely with that HB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

At last a bit of cop on prevailed. I thought we would have no hope with greens in power.

appledrop wrote: »
    At last a bit of cop on prevailed. I thought we would have no hope with greens in power.

Well, even they can't ignore the law.

Hopefully it will just be a slower burn and we’ll see a continued push toward policies that discourage car usage in the city and the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What law did the Green Party ignore?
    Did they force the OPW to close the gates?

Advertisement