Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but it can only be 5K away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've no doubt she was :)

I am not the type of person who gets on a soap box about anything. However, this is something I feel strongly about and want to try and correct the misinformation being spread by conspiracy theorists. Most of them have no notion what they're talking about and as a person who works with the security and privvacy of information systems I can speak from a position of knowledge and understanding of what is going on with the app. :cool:

Being serious all I've heard people say is they're concerned about the security, or they think it will be used to monitor us.

I've no real understanding of how any of this works thoug, but I can see it would make contact tracing more reliable. Very easy to forget stopping to chat to someone on the street etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Being serious all I've heard people say is they're concerned about the security, or they think it will be used to monitor us.

I've no real understanding of how any of this works thoug, but I can see it would make contact tracing more reliable. Very easy to forget stopping to chat to someone on the street etc.

This is the post I put on FB last week to try shed some light on it, might help shed some worries :)

The Irish COVID Contact Tracing App.

There seems to be an awful lot of people with poor information about how it’s going to work. I’ve pulled some info together in a few points.

- It will not track you -apps will not be allowed access to location services.
    - It will not share information about you with the government.
    - The data will be processed on your phone - decentralised model, it will not be uploaded to a central server. It also requires your consent to actually do anything.
    - Exposure notification system API does not turn on automatically, you need to explicitly give consent to enable it.
    - You have to give permission for any data, even anonymised, to leave your phones.
    - The Exposure Notification system in both iOS and Android will only activate (with your permission) with the Official HSE Application. No other applications on your phone will have access to the data.
    - It’s not going to be a big battery drain on your phone.
    - It compiles a list of contacts based on beacons sent out through bluetooth that can be recorded and stored securely on any device that comes within range. To help protect privacy, the beacon includes a string of random numbers that change every 10-20 minutes and are not tied to a user’s identity.

The last thing I’ll say, folks are worried about privacy and location data being used, you’re on Facebook. The privacy boat sailed a long time ago.

Help the people around you and even people you might not know. Install the app, it could go a long way to stopping the country from having to shut down again and keeping your friends and family in jobs.

/end of rant.

I wonder will the app cause people to become more disconnected from each other due to fear of Covid? A different way of putting that question of course is will Covid create the disconnect? I imagine so.

I think that's just part of the whole situation Perse! I know I am not interested in being near people with exception to people I really know. I have idiot friends I know who are going to house parties and that, and I have no interaction with them what so ever.

I think that's just part of the whole situation Perse! I know I am not interested in being near people with exception to people I really know. I have idiot friends I know who are going to house parties and that, and I have no interaction with them what so ever.

I want to be near people but can't. I hate seeing the suspicion and nervousness in others and I hate it in myself. Its been months since I took public transport and I don't feel comfortable to do so. I miss it though. Miss the chats with strangers.

• Advertisement

I want to be near people but can't. I hate seeing the suspicion and nervousness in others and I hate it in myself. Its been months since I took public transport and I don't feel comfortable to do so. I miss it though. Miss the chats with strangers.

Ah, the hermit in me is OK with it all. But I do enjoy the chats with randomers over a pint at the bar :)

Ah, the hermit in me is OK with it all. But I do enjoy the chats with randomers over a pint at the bar :)

Yes hermits will definitely be happy :D

I've just realised the app would show how empty a lot of lives are now with no random interactions or calling into friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This is the post I put on FB last week to try shed some light on it, might help shed some worries :)

The Irish COVID Contact Tracing App.

There seems to be an awful lot of people with poor information about how it’s going to work. I’ve pulled some info together in a few points.

- It will not track you -apps will not be allowed access to location services.
    - It will not share information about you with the government.
    - The data will be processed on your phone - decentralised model, it will not be uploaded to a central server. It also requires your consent to actually do anything.
    - Exposure notification system API does not turn on automatically, you need to explicitly give consent to enable it.
    - You have to give permission for any data, even anonymised, to leave your phones.
    - The Exposure Notification system in both iOS and Android will only activate (with your permission) with the Official HSE Application. No other applications on your phone will have access to the data.
    - It’s not going to be a big battery drain on your phone.
    - It compiles a list of contacts based on beacons sent out through bluetooth that can be recorded and stored securely on any device that comes within range. To help protect privacy, the beacon includes a string of random numbers that change every 10-20 minutes and are not tied to a user’s identity.

The last thing I’ll say, folks are worried about privacy and location data being used, you’re on Facebook. The privacy boat sailed a long time ago.

Help the people around you and even people you might not know. Install the app, it could go a long way to stopping the country from having to shut down again and keeping your friends and family in jobs.

/end of rant.

None of that makes any sense to me, a non techy. Will the people responsible for collating the data know where I go and who I've been in contact with?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    None of that makes any sense to me, a non techy. Will the people responsible for collating the data know where I go and who I've been in contact with?

No. All the information stays on your phone. You have full control of everything you allow it to do / not do.

And no it does not share location data.

• Advertisement

No. All the information stays on your phone. You have full control of everything you allow it to do / not do.

And no it does not share location data.

So how does it work then?

So how does it work then?

Per the Irish Time website -
    First up: contact tracing, the main purpose of the app. According to the terms and conditions, it determines contact as anyone who has been closer than two metres for more than 15 minutes.
    As part of the app set-up, it asks you to enable your phone’s Exposure Notification Service - the technology that Apple and Google have been working together on to bring to iOS and Android users. It allows the official HSE app to access bluetooth in the background.
    All official information says it shouldn’t have too much of an impact on battery life for your phone, but that remains to be seen. To use the app for contact tracing, you will have to give permission for it to use the Exposure Notification function on your phone.

If you test positive for Covid-19 and are using the app, the HSE will ask you to upload that previously mentioned list of random IDs stored on your phone. To do that, you will need a six-digit code supplied by the HSE via text message, an attempt to stop people falsely claiming to have a positive diagnosis. It also means you retain full control over the data on your phone, and it is not automatically uploaded without your knowledge.
    Once you upload that data, the IDs are then added to a list that is downloaded daily to the phones of those using the app, and potential matches are processed on an individual’s phone. If there is a match found,users are alerted through the app that they may have been in contact with coronavirus, and can then arrange a test.

During the set-up, the Covid Tracker app also asks if you want to share your phone number but it’s not mandatory. If you give the app your phone number, it will only be used by the HSE to contact you if you are in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus. The apps only share your number with the HSE if or when you have a confirmed contact. It is strictly opt-in and you can skip that if you don’t feel comfortable; it can always be changed later on through the in-app settings.
    The second function is the symptom tracker. The Covid check-in asks for some data – age group, location and so on, all of which are optional – and how you are feeling. Select the “I’m not feeling well today” option and the app will walk you through a few questions, asking if you have a fever of more than 38 degrees, any type of cough, difficulty in breathing or loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have symptoms like a runny nose or sore throat, the app advises you to behave as if you have coronavirus and to self isolate for 14 days.

Thanks, Dave. I still don't really understand what most of that means. What's a random I'D?

Do we not already have contact tracing in place here? On the news last night it was reported that many people have not come forward for testing despite being identified through contact tracing. How will this make it different?

I don't understand how this app works and don't believe it's necessary. So I won't be downloading it.

And no, I don't have Facebook or any other social media. I never have my location switched on on my phone . I would never use something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yippee, thats my 15th Corona test done, really getting used to this :)

Around here we have two APPS, one was for curfew permits during the last few months and the latest one is for tracking your exposure to infected people around you, this appears to be more intrusive than the Irish one appears to be, as it is linked to my whole resident profile, so it knows everything about me. But to be honest, i really dont care as Google Maps also tracks my every moment as do multiple other APPS that i have installed.

Thanks, Dave. I still don't really understand what most of that means. What's a random I'D?

Do we not already have contact tracing in place here? On the news last night it was reported that many people have not come forward for testing despite being identified through contact tracing. How will this make it different?

I don't understand how this app works and don't believe it's necessary. So I won't be downloading it.

And no, I don't have Facebook or any other social media. I never have my location switched on on my phone . I would never use something like this.

That's fair enough Sardonicat.

The app allows for faster contacting of people who may have been exposed or in contact with someone who was infected.

Each to their own :)

smurfjed wrote: »
    Yippee, thats my 15th Corona test done, really getting used to this :)

Around here we have two APPS, one was for curfew permits during the last few months and the latest one is for tracking your exposure to infected people around you, this appears to be more intrusive than the Irish one appears to be, as it is linked to my whole resident profile, so it knows everything about me. But to be honest, i really dont care as Google Maps also tracks my every moment as do multiple other APPS that i have installed.

Yeah some countries covid apps are definitely more invasive. The Irish one appears very good in terms of protecting your data and respecting privacy.

Like you say Google maps tracks us. You couldn't use it if you didn't allow for that. Many, many other very innocent apps like simple games track us. Even if you turn off your location, it's still possible you're being tracked. Remember that whole thing about Google tracking people using mobile towers. They apologised but then were revealed to be doing it again.

There's CCTV all over the place. Your phone pinging off masts - triangulation. Everytime you use your credit or debit cards. Go into your online banking and it will tell you how much you spend on groceries, personal care, pet products, entertainment.. there's a pie chart for feck sake. Feck all is private these days. We said yes to too many things over the years and there's no going back now!

This app, in my (totally unimportant) opinion, is the least of our worries when it comes to privacy. It's people's own choice too which is good. It wouldn't be right to make it mandatory and people like Sardi above have every right to opt out for their own personal reasons.

But I think it's a good thing and an effective way of finding out if you've been exposed so you can keep your loved ones safe by promptly isolating yourself from them for a little while. I've heard some stories about the contact tracing already in place not being up to standard with some people not hearing from the team at all even when they know they were exposed and others not hearing for far too long.

It is frustrating that a lot of people complaining about these things are the exact ones on FB tagging their every mundane location. Letting everyone know what they're doing every minute of their boring day.

If you want to commit a murder just change your settings on the app to deny all permissions and maybe delete it. And also leave your phone at home.

I always switch location on on my phone then I courierr it to some random destination when I want to commit murder. It's worked so far. ..

Oh, that just sent a chill!

Yeah that was pretty dark. I probably shouldn't have said that.

I deleted it. It's not something to joke about. Would you mind deleting the quote Sardi?

All gone, Buile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Down the park.....burd watching 😏😏 came across some fine looking burds.

Came across this bird which I posted in the nature forum

IMG20200707130458.jpg

😜🤣😸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This time with style

The sun is gonna come out tooooomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, come what may....... You're welcome :)

I always sing this with the wrong words whenever I randomly belt it out at home and my wife regularly laughs and rips the piss of me for it :D

All gone, Buile.

Thanks!! :)

The sun is gonna come out tooooomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, come what may....... You're welcome :)

I always sing this with the wrong words whenever I randomly belt it out at home and my wife regularly laughs and rips the piss of me for it :D

She's a very understanding woman. That's all I'll say.

Speaking of sun I believe we'll see it from Thursday on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This time with style

Sardonicat wrote:
    She's a very understanding woman. That's all I'll say.

She's blessed Sardi :D

@ Builebeag, greats points made - I wish I saw the one deleted though :)

Deskside after the lunch. Work is annoying me today :mad:

The sun is up there battling for some space guys! It'll break through eventually!

She's blessed Sardi :D

With a strong constitution and the patience of a saint ? Luckily for you, hey?

@ Builebeag, greats points made - I wish I saw the one deleted though :)

I'm just thinking about the hypocrisy of me talking about people sharing 'mundane' things on FB when I'm on this thread telling you all everytime I take a walk or whatever. But we'll all just agree to ignore that little detail, yeah? :D:D

• Advertisement

Down the park.....burd watching ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ came across some fine looking burds.

Came across this bird which I posted in the nature forum

IMG20200707130458.jpg

😜🀣😸

The lonesome referee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement