Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Jesus I hope we never meet in SuperValu. Druids and Rosie cider for me

I've been partial to both of those drinks before I turned into a craft beer wanker.

I don't turn my nose up at at an auld can of cider. But man, they'll give you a fierce hangover!

A good can of cheap cider isn't prentenious like Heinneken or Carlsberg is.

I've been partial to both of those drinks before I turned into a craft beer wanker.

I don't turn my nose up at at an auld can of cider. But man, they'll give you a fierce hangover!

A good can of cheap cider isn't prentenious like Heinneken or Carlsberg is.

I'm very light. 2nd can may not get finished and stay sensible when out so I'm usually ok but yes, they do hit home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Granadino wrote: »
    I’m sure there are plenty of people out there with money driving “sh!tty” Korean cars who’d rather spend their money on more useful things.
    I can’t understand the mentality that people seem to think someone else should be impressed by the car they drive.
    A metal box with four wheels that takes you from point a to point b when you put fuel in it...:

"This car costs €60,000. This one costs €25,000, and does exactly the same thing as the more expensive one! The only difference is this shiny little badge! OOOH, LOOK AT THE SHINY LITTLE BADGE, OOOOOOH!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

jaxxx wrote: »
    "This car costs €60,000. This one costs €25,000, and does exactly the same thing as the more expensive one! The only difference is this shiny little badge! OOOH, LOOK AT THE SHINY LITTLE BADGE, OOOOOOH!!!!!!"

Again... enjoy the bus

LillySV wrote: »
    Again... enjoy the bus

No, I'll enjoy my sh*tty little Korean car thanks.

• Advertisement

No, I'll enjoy my sh*tty little Korean car thanks.

Only one calling Korean cars ****ty is you. But to say all cars are same or no different ... nonsense ... they’re not... I don’t own a Ferrari but I’d love one... every car is different...: and All cars have their own great traits that distinguish them from others

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Beats headphone one I've seen in thread, I've heard from someone who works in recording that they're widely known to be something sold on fashion appeal and not something for audiophiles. I doubt I could tell the difference.

LillySV wrote: »
    Only one calling Korean cars ****ty is you. But to say all cars are same or no different ... nonsense ... they’re not... I don’t own a Ferrari but I’d love one... every car is different...: and All cars have their own great traits that distinguish them from others

It's a f*cking metal box :pac: You can paint all the pretty little badges on it you want. At the end of the day, a Ferrari worth €200k ain't going to get you from A to B much quicker than a car costing 1/10 of that cos of a little something called the speed limit Jesus :D

It's a f*cking metal box :pac: You can paint all the pretty little badges on it you want. At the end of the day, a Ferrari worth €200k ain't going to get you from A to B much quicker than a car costing 1/10 of that cos of a little something called the speed limit Jesus :D

Again..... hope you have the tax saver yearly ticket ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

which one do you want? which one would be nicer to drive? would make you feel good driving? which one wouldn't break down on you some day going to work?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf/24922465

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2019-mercedes-benz-e-class-e400-d-4matic-amg-line/25236642

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

If you don’t understand the difference between a quality car and a ****box that’s fine but other people do appreciate the difference and are happy to pay extra for it.

Despite what you think, not all cars are created equal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If you don’t understand the difference between a quality car and a ****box that’s fine

Indeed, for some a car is just a mode of transport or a status symbol.

but other people do appreciate the difference and are happy to pay extra for it.

Even people who don't appreciate the difference are happy to pay more, plenty of expensive ****boxes out at the moment and throughout the years.

Despite what you think, not all cars are created equal.

Completely right, the fallacy many fall for is that expensive and new = better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

pgj2015 wrote: »
    which one do you want? which one would be nicer to drive? would make you feel good driving? which one wouldn't break down on you some day going to work?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf/24922465

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2019-mercedes-benz-e-class-e400-d-4matic-amg-line/25236642

To be honest I never spent more than 1500 on a car. I just get one with a new NCT and never had any issues with any cars i bought "Breaking down on the way to work".

I have an accord now, grand car. Before that I had a full cream leather Merc C Class that lasted me three years and only paid 1200 for it.

I earn good money in work and just find it pointless spending it on cars. They all do the same thing, get you from A to B.

I'll keep my money to retire as early as i can and take my six weeks holidays from work travelling the world every year.

I find people saying "Breaking down on the way to work" trying to justify wasting money on a depreciating asset in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Completely right, the fallacy many fall for is that expensive and new = better.

Some may fall for that and I’m glad they do because I get to buy it some years later for a fraction of the price.

The quality car will still be a quality car though. The ****box will likely be ready for the scrap yard.

They aren’t the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Some may fall for that and I’m glad they do because I get to buy it some years later for a fraction of the price.

The quality car will still be a quality car though. The ****box will likely be ready for the scrap yard.

They aren’t the same.

Its usually the more expensive cars that are ready for the scrap yard like BMW and Audi's when they get older, not the cheaper cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Not really, sometimes react to the immature assumptions of others, which I shouldn't do, but then I realise that they're complete tossers and everything's great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Juicy Couture - walking around with juicy emblazoned across your arse = skanger.

To be fair, Ireland has always had high numbers of unemployment due to reasons outside of the unemployed populations control yet they're constantly shamed publicly and judged for being unemployed yet there's no efforts to create job stability in certain jobs through implementing workers rights or increase job opportunities particularly outside of Dublin but I digress.

I don't tend to judge people on brands they use but when I see people que for 10 hours for a new Iphone or a pair Yeezy shoes, I lose a little bit more faith in humanity.

long term unemployed so. a young healthy person who is long term unemployed just because he/she is lazy. There is no excuse for being long term unemployed, you either get a job, go to college or emigrate. But that is for another thread, I have been unemployed myself but im not a waster, i always had a plan to get myself earning again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

long term unemployed so. a young healthy person who is long term unemployed just because he/she is lazy. There is no excuse for being long term unemployed, you either get a job, go to college or emigrate. But that is for another thread, I have been unemployed myself but im not a waster, i always had a plan to get myself earning again.

Fair play to ya ! You're a great lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I dont want to derail the thread but just because that worked out for you doesnt mean it's like that for everyone. Allot of young, healthy people struggle to find work in Ireland even with qualifications. Emigration isnt an option for everyone, age and health arent the only factors that come into it. I just wouldnt be so quick to judge people so harshly because theyre long term unemployed. I would wonder do the unemployment rates in young people correlate with the high numbers of suicide in that age group.
    I found it impossible to get work when young, while all my friends where getting their first jobs through family connections, employers wouldn't give me a chance because I had no experience, in other words - they didnt know me and would rather give the job to a family friend or relative. This can go on for years, its very easy to fall into long term unemployment at any age.
    Youre not better than anyone because you got the job, doesnt mean you tried any harder or less harder than the ones who didnt get the job.

In regards to brands, dont see it so much anymore but around 2005 - roughly 2012 when playboy products were all the rage with women and girls. I judged them then and I judge them now.
    A girl who was in our friend group from around this time got a playboy bunny tattoo and a Twilight tattoo. She's in her 30's now and I can only imagine the regret.

• Advertisement

I dont want to derail the thread but just because that worked out for you doesnt mean it's like that for everyone. Allot of young, healthy people struggle to find work in Ireland even with qualifications. Emigration isnt an option for everyone, age and health arent the only factors that come into it. I just wouldnt be so quick to judge people so harshly because theyre long term unemployed. I would wonder do the unemployment rates in young people correlate with the high numbers of suicide in that age group.
    I found it impossible to get work when young, while all my friends where getting their first jobs through family connections, employers wouldn't give me a chance because I had no experience, in other words - they didnt know me and would rather give the job to a family friend or relative. This can go on for years, its very easy to fall into long term unemployment at any age.
    Youre not better than anyone because you got the job, doesnt mean you tried any harder or less harder than the ones who didnt get the job.

In regards to brands, dont see it so much anymore but around 2005 - roughly 2012 when playboy products were all the rage with women and girls. I judged them then and I judge them now.
    A girl who was in our friend group from around this time got a playboy bunny tattoo and a Twilight tattoo. She's in her 30's now and I can only imagine the regret.

Sorry but I hate excuses. And yes someone who does something about finding a job or gets educated is better than someone who doesn't try, and just feels sorry for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

People who cycle Carrera bikes from Halfords.

They just don't look great.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

micar wrote: »

Gimme a Carrera over a hybrid anyday, as they are similar in price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How can anyone argue passionately about a phone/tablet/laptop/pc?

duty_calls.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kowloon wrote: »
    The Beats headphone one I've seen in thread, I've heard from someone who works in recording that they're widely known to be something sold on fashion appeal and not something for audiophiles. I doubt I could tell the difference.

The only time I’ve tried Beats was in a display in a department store a few years ago. They sounded ok, but I was taken aback by how ****ty the build quality was of them, felt like plastic cheap crap that you’d be afraid to drop.

Spent good money on a pair of Sennheiser headphones. Never going back to any other brand. I was playing a live album of The Who that I must have played 367 times over the years and the quality of the sound was other worldly, like being there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Mentioned all ready but Apple - More money than sense.

To me, it has a better build quality from experience.

My iPhone had an unfortunate unexpected fall last week :( 5 years service and ended due to my stupidity doing a lazy man's load. I can point to many friends who've had 3 or more phones in that time period.

I don't know you but I reckon my 5 year old Macbook could kick your laptop's ass. No battery issues, can last long time and is still great for dev work.

My 13 year old Mac mini is still operational and is set up as my parent's computing device.

Did those cost more at the time than other brand equivalents? Yup. Would other brand equivalents last the same? Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Not a brand but if I hear someone has a PCP car deal, I assume they're financially illiterate.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

micar wrote: »

Maybe not, but they get the job done, and are not high maintenance . Decent bike for what ya pay for it . It’s not like you’d dare cycling and park your best bike when going in and out of Dublin for work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Tattoos (Not a brand per se ) - has the trend died down a bit ? = tramps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tattoos (Not a brand per se ) - has the trend died down a bit ? = tramps

I think people can get wherever tattoos they want. But nobody thinks tattoos are classy.

If you've a sleeve tattoo or a neck tattoo, it means you've no interest in being middle class. Fair play and obviously it's you're right to do what you want. It marks you out as making an obvious statement of intending to project yourself as being permanently working/benefits class.

Advertisement