Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl e-scooter this week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Interesting, Sheep Shagger.

I wonder who manufactures these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Stay off the paths please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah Lidl, stay off the paths!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

Lose some weight and walk single file, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

It's this lad here I think, looks decent for the money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LYcM7izIs4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Stay off the Bargain Alerts with that please, After Hours is that-a-way ---->

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Sono

13km out of the battery seems brutal no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

could these be modded?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sono wrote: »
    13km out of the battery seems brutal no?

You're probably looking closer to 8/9km max being honest. It's a 36v 4.8mh battery. This will also struggle up hill. Also to remember is that the solid tyres are quite lethal in wet weather.

Thing to be aware of, this isint like a normal scooter that you push along if the battery dies. They are very difficult to "scoot" manually. There is resistance in the wheel due to the motor, plus at nearly 11KG (plus your own weight) it takes ALOT to move
    mrcheez wrote: »
    could these be modded?

No idea. But if you do mod them, your 8/9km distance will be down to about 5/6kmh. The battery levels aren't there for anything major.

It's not a bad scooter for €249, however you can get more powerful ones and bigger battery ones for similar prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is that a bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

General question as my wife is considering getting one, are these legal? Is it still a grey area?

General question as my wife is considering getting one, are these legal? Is it still a grey area?

Illegal, however the Gardai typically turn a blind eye. It's a risk you take with these. I have one, and I know plenty others who have one, and never been stopped.

antodeco wrote: »
    Illegal, however the Gardai typically turn a blind eye. It's a risk you take with these. I have one, and I know plenty others who have one, and never been stopped.

Thanks....

I take it this never materialised.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/e-scooters-should-be-legal-on-irish-roads-report-recommends-1.3994508?mode=amp

Hard to know where Eamon Ryan’s stance will be on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

These are definitely getting legalised. It’s in the programme for government. Also they are 100% getting legalised in the UK so we’ll just follow their lead. I owned a M365 Pro for a few months and found it too heavy and big to even fold up on the LUAS. If you are spending €250 on one, I would spend €350 on a proper one. They are pretty lethal on all but perfect surfaces. Ireland currently isn’t ready for them to be honest. The footpaths are wide enough, and the bike lanes are full of drain pipes. A minor bump on a bicycle is a whole different story on a e-scooter.

On the other hand, the smart helmet looks great! You really can’t move your head or arms much while scooting. You need to watch constantly where your front wheel is going and talking one hand off the scooter handlebar makes it very unstable.

Then you have the 60kph+ “enthusiasts” holding back the légalisation of the 25kph commuter scooters. End rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

im not sure that they are illegal, is there a law outlawing them.

They just arn't legal, there is no law that makes provision for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BBMcQ wrote: »
    These are definitely getting legalised. It’s in the programme for government. Also they are 100% getting legalised in the UK so we’ll just follow their lead. I owned a M365 Pro for a few months and found it too heavy and big to even fold up on the LUAS. If you are spending €250 on one, I would spend €350 on a proper one. They are pretty lethal on all but perfect surfaces. Ireland currently isn’t ready for them to be honest. The footpaths are wide enough, and the bike lanes are full of drain pipes. A minor bump on a bicycle is a whole different story on a e-scooter.

On the other hand, the smart helmet looks great! You really can’t move your head or arms much while scooting. You need to watch constantly where your front wheel is going and talking one hand off the scooter handlebar makes it very unstable.

Then you have the 60kph+ “enthusiasts” holding back the légalisation of the 25kph commuter scooters. End rant!

They are currently illegal though. So if you hit someone on one you will be in serious trouble for driving without insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

More plastic crap for the masses.
    Like their stupid one summer swimming pools.

Whats next, scrambler bikes?

onedmc wrote: »

By not having a law that makes them illegal doesn't make something legal.

This thread will end up like the eScooter thread that goes around in circles for 100s of pages.

Basically, as this is a motorised vehicle, that can move without continual human input of momentum, it is classed the same as a vehicle in road traffic laws. Meaning insurance tax and registration number is required. The exact same as a fully electric moped.

The law needs to change to exclude these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

onedmc wrote: »

The fact that they aren't legal means that they are illegal (unless they meet legal requirements for a motorcycle - unlikely!).
    If you use it in a public place you need Gardai to turn a blind eye and hope you never get involved in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2019/72/

This is where we're at in terms of legalisation. The bill lapsed because the government dissolved. The process will be quickly resurrected. There is going to be absolute murder in this country come September when kids go back to school. Unless social distancing is abandoned, public transport will not be an option. That means a huge jump in journeys via private transport. Effective gridlock. Greens will wallop petrol, diesel etc with taxes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It's not illegal to own one. It's illegal to use one without tax or insurance on public roads.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2019/72/

This is where we're at in terms of legalisation. The bill lapsed because the government dissolved. The process will be quickly resurrected. There is going to be absolute murder in this country come September when kids go back to school. Unless social distancing is abandoned, public transport will not be an option. That means a huge jump in journeys via private transport. Effective gridlock. Greens will wallop petrol, diesel etc with taxes too.

Didn’t think of that. In the best interest of govt to allow for any type of transport other than packed public transport.

Do you not think further heavy taxing of diesel petrol would therefore be shooting themselves in the foot. It would therefore mean more people trying to use public transport, more crowded carriages etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Thanks....

I take it this never materialised.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/e-scooters-should-be-legal-on-irish-roads-report-recommends-1.3994508?mode=amp

Hard to know where Eamon Ryan’s stance will be on them.

There was consultation on it. Ended in November or so. Then the election happened and the results were never published. After the election, Shane Ross said it would be the job of the next minister to legislate for them. Legislating for e-scooters is in the programme for government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

antodeco wrote: »
    By not having a law that makes them illegal doesn't make something legal.

This thread will end up like the eScooter thread that goes around in circles for 100s of pages.

Basically, as this is a motorised vehicle, that can move without continual human input of momentum, it is classed the same as a vehicle in road traffic laws. Meaning insurance tax and registration number is required. The exact same as a fully electric moped.

The law needs to change to exclude these.

They aren't technically illegal. Practically illegal thought...

One can use them provided that insurance and tax are in order. Securing those is close to impossible..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Didn’t think of that. In the best interest of govt to allow for any type of transport other than packed public transport.

Do you not think further heavy taxing of diesel petrol would therefore be shooting themselves in the foot. It would therefore mean more people trying to use public transport, more crowded carriages etc.

We're dealing with the Eamon Ryan show here - these guys are already indicating that the privately owned motor vehicle should not be used or rather rationed in certain parts of the country. These people are not rational not practical.

Jaywalking is also illegal in Ireland. I wouldn't worry about it.

We're dealing with the Eamon Ryan show here - these guys are already indicating that the privately owned motor vehicle should not be used or rather rationed in certain parts of the country. These people are not rational not practical.

This much is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

It sounds very like another old legal quandary.

It's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and if you're the proprietor of a Lidl, it's legal to sell it.

It's legal to scoot on it, but...but that dosen't matter, cause, get a load of this; all right, if you get stopped by a cop in Ireland, it's illegal for them to detain you. I mean that's a right the cops in Ireland don't have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Jaywalking is also illegal in Ireland. I wouldn't worry about it.

Not comparable. Nobody gets fined for not using a pedestrian crossing while within 15 metres of one or crossing while the light is red. And the penalty is much less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

I live close to a w@nker who scoots around on a unicycle one of these. Absolute dose

Advertisement