Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

We aren't in a better place than March. Our nations finances are destroyed and another stricter lockdown is inevitable.

Facts are people won't stand for another lockdown and we don't have the police or army to force it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very interesting article from someone without agenda. Well worth a read.

Speaks of silent lung damage observed. Sums up some of most important things we still don't know yet and why it's best to avoid if possible.

https://twitter.com/ConversationUK/status/1276815144824209408?s=20

Very interesting article on the same site from two epidemiologists.

https://twitter.com/ConversationUK/status/1277703232605872132

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We aren't in a better place than March. Our nations finances are destroyed and another stricter lockdown is inevitable.
    Who said it's inevitable? and since when are our nations finances destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

0 deaths in the US state of Massachusetts today for the first time since 21st March.

The original epicentres of Northeastern USA, Western Europe and North East Asia have handled this extraordinarily well. There is not a peep of another epidemic on the horizon really in the majority of these regions. You would think that the early outbreaks there would have helped the rest of the world prepare but it seems like there is large outbreaks now almost everywhere in the world except these regions with no signs of slowing..on worldometeres so many countries I've hardly even heard of reporting hundreds or even thousands of cases now everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

0 deaths in the US state of Massachusetts today for the first time since 21st March.

Can you not leave this good news reporting to Kermit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Why do u say another stricter lockdown is inevitable,how can anyone say that?

I wouldn't be worried about a "stricter" lockdown. Ireland wont lockdown the country again. You get one shot at that and now they will move like most countries are to regional lockdown's with spikes.

The fact is the country can not afford for an all ireland lockdown again. We also cant afford to suspend other operations further as waiting lists are astronomical even at present for major surgeries.

People will stamp and shout to lockdown as is the nature of other to stamp and shout to open up... but we got one chance at the whole nation lockdown and while the CMO made drastic mistakes with nursing homes and we should have been quicker on the travel.... we have stemmed a tide with a slow and ease movement through phases.

We just need people to apply some cop on and common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭giveitholly

gizmo23 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried about a "stricter" lockdown. Ireland wont lockdown the country again. You get one shot at that and now they will move like most countries are to regional lockdown's with spikes.

The fact is the country can not afford for an all ireland lockdown again. We also cant afford to suspend other operations further as waiting lists are astronomical even at present for major surgeries.

People will stamp and shout to lockdown as is the nature of other to stamp and shout to open up... but we got one chance at the whole nation lockdown and while the CMO made drastic mistakes with nursing homes and we should have been quicker on the travel.... we have stemmed a tide with a slow and ease movement through phases.

We just need people to apply some cop on and common sense.

Oh I agree with you,just can't understand how some posters come out with such statements and don't give a reason for their predictions. They just make some outlandish statements and then disappear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Thanks for sharing. I'll check it out. What I like about this website and people may not realise is they provide a little "disclosures" section which lists any relevant vested interests an author may have. Like who pays them. I'm not sure how relevant they are but they are included so might want to triangulate the piece with their interests before taking it as gospel. End of the day someone has to pay the researcher.

So for the story I posted.
    Disclosure statement

John Kinnear does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their academic appointment.

And for the one you posted.
    Disclosure statement

Paul Franks receives research funding from Boehringer Ingelheim, Eli Lilly, Janssen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Sanofi Aventis and Servier, has received consulting fees from Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk and Zoe Global Ltd and has stock options in Zoe Global Ltd. Zoe Global Ltd is the company behind the COVID Symptom Study app.

Joacim Rocklöv receives funding for research projects from the EU, including Horizon2020, the Swedish research agency Formas, Kempe foundation, and SIDA. He has consultancy projects for the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control and the World Health Organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Misery loves company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So one of the epidemiologists who has shares in a company which has an app to track symptoms is saying "it's just going away?"
    I can think of one potential conflict of interest. Hear me out and let me know what you think.
    If there was no virus. i.e it was eradicated then there would be no need for that app! Thus the shares would probably be worth nothing.
    If this virus rolls around the globe seasonally the app could be key in fighting it. Thus the shares in company would be very valuable and he'd be a hero.
    I guess that's why they list the disclosures.

I eagerly await your reply Utopia Parkway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Very interesting article from someone without agenda. Well worth a read.

Speaks of silent lung damage observed. Sums up some of most important things we still don't know yet and why it's best to avoid if possible.

https://twitter.com/ConversationUK/status/1276815144824209408?s=20

Thats pretty frightening.

Always wondered what the long term effects will be on those who suffered milder cases of Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Just to clarify I'm not in the business of calling nurses names or anything like that, I didn't see any posts calling them names and if there was thats not on, I've family that are nurses, not in the hosptial mentioned on the article so I take/took the article at face value.

The article suggested it was a recent study it just references in April when the advice was changed. Hence when cases within the healthcare settings among staff are still a relatively high proportion of our daily totals, this article appeared to join the dots.

If that's not the case as you've cleared up above then the Independent should update the article to reflect it. I moved to reading the indo more myself as I found the times was displaying poor journalism and was quite unbalanced recently. I presume its all for clicks as that's how they'll make money at the moment

I never said you called anyone names , you are always polite and respectful , even if we do not always agree !
    I think because it was out there, unopposed , unfortunately , it was used by someone elsewhere as stick to beat nurses with ,but that also is not your fault .
    I just wanted to set the record straight .
    I know someone has been on to the Indo to get them to do just that , but I wouldn't hold my breath .
    Probably all the same, but we all have our preferences and I find the Independent very reactionary and soundbite- ish .

It has been incredibly frustrating for nurses who have been like a voice in the wilderness through all of this .

The HSE should answer for this and also the whole nursing home debacle , for which they have sidestepped the blame and said " it was all HIQA" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Another stricter lockdown won't be happening as you already said our finances are in a poor state and we can't afford to lockdown, (although you repeat that position at least once a day by my reckoning) but we have an ability to borrow so all's not lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Source for this?

Source for this?

Is it too much like good news?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Been told by a reliable source that vaccine production is to start in Cork in the next few weeks. No idea which vaccine it is but 95% positive this is true.

I thought some trials started a few weeks back in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Some unfortunate news, a recent study has shown that asymptomatic carriers generally have few to no detectable antibodies just weeks after infection.

'Antibody levels also dropped off far more quickly in people who never showed symptoms, and 40 per cent of them had no detectable antibodies eight weeks after recovery, compared with 13 per cent of symptomatic patients.'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/asymptomatic-covid-19-findings-dim-hopes-for-herd-immunity-and-immunity-passports/ar-BB163A1x

I dont know much about this, but can you have immunity if your antibodies disappeared, is that possible?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Some unfortunate news, a recent study has shown that asymptomatic carriers generally have few to no detectable antibodies just weeks after infection.

'Antibody levels also dropped off far more quickly in people who never showed symptoms, and 40 per cent of them had no detectable antibodies eight weeks after recovery, compared with 13 per cent of symptomatic patients.'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/asymptomatic-covid-19-findings-dim-hopes-for-herd-immunity-and-immunity-passports/ar-BB163A1x

I dont know much about this, but can you have immunity if your antibodies disappeared, is that possible?

Antibodies are only a part of it - if you only have a weak infection that's easily bested then obviously you wont have your system swarmed with antibodies - the virus didn't get a chance to take hold
    T Cells is where its at!
    Just more scaremongering - the immune system is hardly understood but it's understood once infected then the antibody response can be quickly replicated to fight it off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Any news on a Vaccine for Erectile Dysfunction? reading this thread the last few months has me in all sorts of trouble down there.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Any news on a Vaccine for Erectile Dysfunction? reading this thread the last few months has me in all sorts of trouble down there.

Check your spam email :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Arghus wrote: »
    Second episode of the hospital doc on RTE 1 right now.

That is not a documentary. It is propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I don't believe for a minute that the virus will burn out after 20% of the population becoming infected. It's pie in the sky codswallop and that's all it is. Do 20% become infected and 80% who didn't develop an infection suddenly become immune to the virus?

All this will do is lead people to a false sense of security - 'sure, the virus is dying out' they might think and it will lead to more risks and ultimately more infection spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

leavingirl wrote: »
    It is propaganda.

Haven't seen it but why is it propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wait, are we on thread 19 already? I missed the grand opening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Why is a stricter lockdown inevitable? You probably meant "localised lockdowns"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Facts are people won't stand for another lockdown and we don't have the police or army to force it

I think identified clusters of infected people will willingly self isolate and get tested - you do know tests can be scheduled within a day and results are back in a couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

leavingirl wrote: »
    That is not a documentary. It is propaganda.

Care to explain that nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I think identified clusters of infected people will willingly self isolate and get tested - you do know tests can be scheduled within a day and results are back in a couple of days?

Some are too stupid to understand "self isolation" sure they couldn't get to the pub then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Oh I agree with you,just can't understand how some posters come out with such statements and don't give a reason for their predictions. They just make some outlandish statements and then disappear

He's probably gone to stand outside a shop again making sure everyone is observing social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Source for this?

Do you've a source for your prediction of a stricter second lockdown?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement