Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

eagle eye wrote: »
    US is crazy, starting to look like a third world country in ways

There'll be plenty of remdesvir to go around anyway. Trump can hand it out like cars on Oprah Winfrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

New Zealand has conducted 80,000 tests in the last 13 days. 0 positive results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Brilliant to see the Jesuit priest pull through on the rte documentary

Spoilers FFS!

I'm joking of course. Looking forward to seeing these amazing people on the RTE Player tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Trump will be like "vote for me, and we'll take care of you"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah there's no way most places in the US can afford another lockdown. Hopefully the anti mask idiots come to realise this.

It’s an interesting one, as a lot of anti-maskers in the US are cite their reasons as their freedom being impeded by having to wear one, or having to lockdown which ruins the economy. If the message can be amplified to show life can have a semblance of normality with masks, this thing might just work. I do wonder how many peaks and troughs we’ll have to go through before seeing self-policed widespread uptake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fr336 wrote: »

But I thought the best approach is no testing which means less cases??

According to someone it is anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It’s an interesting one, as a lot of anti-maskers in the US are cite their reasons as their freedom being impeded by having to wear one, or having to lockdown which ruins the economy. If the message can be amplified to show life can have a semblance of normality with masks, this thing might just work. I do wonder how many peaks and troughs we’ll have to go through before seeing self-policed widespread uptake.

Unfortunately a lot of the general population over there seem to have lost their independent train of thought. Compromises don't work. Its either one side or the other. A very divided and polarised country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ignoring the patent and making their own, if they have any sense - if it's actually of any use.

Don't know if it was shared already ..
    Beaumont / RCSI have made a breakthrough in the fight against Covid 19 .
    Reported in the IrishTimes today , that treatment Alpha One Antitrypsin, is gone to a double blind trial after research has shown that the protein which is essential in the inflammatory process , can be used to prevent the lungs' severe inflammatory reaction to Covid 19. Research by Prof Gerry McElvaney and Prof Ger Curley .

Would be good if all works out ?

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    There'll be plenty of remdesvir to go around anyway. Trump can hand it out like cars on Oprah Winfrey.

"YOU! get experimental drugs and YOU! get experimental drugs"

JNhU5Tt.gif?noredirect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If anyone is in the mood for another virus film check out the The Flu (2013) - S. Korean film - what happens when it all goes horribly wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Newsnight interview with Mairead McGuinness not exactly casting a light of certainty and clarity on our travel situation vis a vis the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

This is technicaly Chapter 18, the 13th got cancelled due to pishroges!

fr336 wrote: »

Great to see

UAE for today:

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/coronavirus-uae-reports-new-covid-19-cases-recoveries-june-30

421 cases from 63,000 tests

A tiny % testing positive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE Daily Operations Update

19 in hospital, down from 22.

13 in ICU, increase of 1, 1 death in the last 24 hours. 8 ventilated, no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    "YOU! get experimental drugs and YOU! get experimental drugs"

JNhU5Tt.gif?noredirect

And they are charging over $3000 per treatment and thats with insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

13 in ICU, increase of 1, 1 death in the last 24 hours. 8 ventilated, no change.

Only one confirmed hospital case in past 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,685 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

M.A.G.A

Masks Are Great Armour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

In general its all very steady at the moment. Just looking at hosptial specific numbers.
    In general hosptial beds we've the Mater reporting the most at 4, after that its 2's and 1's in other hospitals.

Tallaght and the Mater both reporting 3 each in ICU, Beaumont & Mercy 2 each, Vincent's, CUH & UHL 1 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Goldman Sachs did the maths and have found masks everywhere could be a replacement for lockdowns and save the economy from a 5% hit (in the US, but prob still relevant worldwide).

The argument for masks is very clear cut, yes people may wear them wrong or touch their face a bit more, but it could mean further suppression as we open up

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/goldman-sachs-says-a-national-mask-mandate-could-slash-infections-and-save-economy-from-a-5percent-hit.html

No argument against masks but out of all the people doing research into this topic Goldman Sachs are at the very bottom of the list in regards to who I would listen to on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

scroll down for Gilead information in Ireland.

https://www.getreskilled.com/pharmaceutical-companies-cork/

They also have a base in Dublin.

They manufacture and distribute to europe from Ireland.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/gilead-sciences-cork-killian-macdonald
    Note line about Ireland should have access to medicines and not be left behind..

https://www.lobbying.ie/organisation/2087/gilead-sciences-ireland-uc?currentPage=0&pageSize=10&queryText=&subjectMatters=&subjectMatterAreas=&period=&returnDateFrom=&returnDateTo=&lobbyistId=2087&dpo=&publicBodys=&jobTitles=&client=
    Lobbying 29 april 2020 but no details filled in yet?

https://www.thejournal.ie/gilead-sciences-ireland-no-tax-2-2945301-Aug2016/

using the double Irish tax thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Collectivism drives efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19
    Research from the University of Kent has found that people who adopt a collectivist mindset are more likely to comply with social distancing and hygiene practices to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

People who are more individualist are less likely to engage, partly due to beliefs in COVID-19 conspiracy theories, and feelings of powerlessness surrounding the pandemic.

Not that suprising and seems more a common sense finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

In general its all very steady at the moment. Just looking at hosptial specific numbers.
    In general hosptial beds we've the Mater reporting the most at 4, after that its 2's and 1's in other hospitals.

Tallaght and the Mater both reporting 3 each in ICU, Beaumont & Mercy 2 each, Vincent's, CUH & UHL 1 each.

Just to pick up something that was discussed on the previous thread but I wasn't online .....
    You posted an article from the Independent that talked about low numbers of nurses wearing facemasks in hospital .
    This led to an discussion which was a bit unbalanced and nurses were called names by some posters.

I would now like to put it in context and give some background information.

The audit was done in APRIL when it was not policy by order of the HSE for nurses to wear masks when caring for nonCovid patients.
    HSE had actually clashed with nurses over this as most felt it was not safe as they, the nurses (correctly, as it happens) believed that the infection might be transmitted before a patient was symptomatic.
    HSE accused nurses of" wasting PPE "( Paul Reid specifically stated this ) by using it " unnecessarily" !

Also it is impossible to care for patients who need assistance AND maintain social distance.

The audit was carried out as an adjunct to the union's representation to the HSE that it was impossible for nurses to care for patients safely without the risk of transmission.

Following this and other representations, and nurses' continued insistence , wearing of masks for care of all patients until they have been tested negative , and healthcare and patient regular testing has been introduced .

Yes , nurses and other healthcare workers became infected because of this early intransigence by HSE , and this would also have put patients at risk of infection from asymptomatic staff .
    Remember also that at this time testing was only starting to be ramped up following the clearing of the backlog soa lot of healthcare staff were still waiting to be tested even when symptomatic, never mind routine checking .

This article is an example of the generally poor journalism in the Independent , either that or there is a particular agenda being pursued at that paper .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Just to pick up something that was discussed on the previous thread but I wasn't online .....
    You posted an article from the Independent that talked about low numbers of nurses wearing facemasks in hospital .
    This led to an discussion which was a bit unbalanced and nurses were called names by some posters.

The audit was done in APRIL when it was not policy by order of the HSE for nurses to wear masks when caring for nonCovid patients.
    HSE had actually clashed with nurses over this as most felt it was not safe as they, the nurses (correctly, as it happens) believed that the infection might be transmitted before a patient was symptomatic.
    HSE accused nurses of" wasting PPE "( Paul Reid specifically stated this ) by using it " unnecessarily" !

Also it is impossible to care for patients who need assistance AND maintain social distance.

The audit was carried out as an adjunct to the union's representation to the HSE that it was impossible for nurses to care for patients safely without the risk of transmission.

Following this and other representations, and nurses' continued insistence , wearing of masks for care of all patients until they have been tested negative , and healthcare and patient regular testing has been introduced .

Yes , nurses and other healthcare workers became infected because of this early intransigence by HSE , and this would also have put patients at risk of infection from asymptomatic staff .
    Remember also that at this time testing was only starting to be ramped up following the clearing of the backlog soa lot of healthcare staff were still waiting to be tested even when symptomatic, never mind routine checking .

This article is an example of the generally poor journalism in the Independent , either that or there is a particular agenda being pursued at that paper .

Just to clarify I'm not in the business of calling nurses names or anything like that, I didn't see any posts calling them names and if there was thats not on, I've family that are nurses, not in the hosptial mentioned on the article so I take/took the article at face value.

The article suggested it was a recent study it just references in April when the advice was changed. Hence when cases within the healthcare settings among staff are still a relatively high proportion of our daily totals, this article appeared to join the dots.

If that's not the case as you've cleared up above then the Independent should update the article to reflect it. I moved to reading the indo more myself as I found the times was displaying poor journalism and was quite unbalanced recently. I presume its all for clicks as that's how they'll make money at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Very interesting article from someone without agenda. Well worth a read.

Speaks of silent lung damage observed. Sums up some of most important things we still don't know yet and why it's best to avoid if possible.

"The second patient was a middle-aged woman referred to the intensive care unit for mechanical ventilation. The recent death had made me nervous, so I went to assess her. On my way to the ward, I imagined the picture that awaited me – a patient gasping for air, barely able to speak, chest heaving with the effort of trying to drive oxygen into her blood.

When I arrived decked out in full PPE and ready to sedate her for immediate ventilation, I thought I had arrived at the wrong bed. She sat comfortably on her chair, speaking on her mobile phone to her daughter, bemused by my appearance. Overcautious colleagues, I thought, but measured her blood oxygen saturation just in case, more from instinct than concern. From her appearance I expected it to be close to normal (100%). It was 75% – a level barely compatible with being conscious."

https://twitter.com/ConversationUK/status/1276815144824209408?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

If people become complacent and ignore the health measures those days will be back again and sooner than many seem to believe as well.

Look, I think most people on here understand we're not home and dry, but there's so much to be positive about, yet the likes of you and Kermit dedicate yourselves to p1ss on any feel good story on here. Really bloody strange! the poster you replied to was simply stating we're in a much better place than March but you gotta p1ss in the Cornflakes again. Perhaps ye can't live in the here and now because you're scared (that's understandable) or perhaps ye just enjoy the misery. I'll go with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

0 deaths in the US state of Massachusetts today for the first time since 21st March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

nocoverart wrote: »
    Look, I think most people on here understand we're not home and dry, but there's so much to be positive about, yet the likes of you and Kermit dedicate yourselves to p1ss on any feel good story on here. Really bloody strange! the poster you replied to was simply stating we're in a much better place than March but you gotta p1ss in the Cornflakes again. Perhaps ye can't live in the here and now because you're scared (that's understandable) or perhaps ye just enjoy the misery. I'll go with the latter.

We aren't in a better place than March. Our nations finances are destroyed and another stricter lockdown is inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Goldengirl wrote: »

This backs up what I observed via hspc website which had guidance on covid and infection control for HCW.

I remember reading at the time that respirators were only to be worn ‘while carrying out aerosol generating procedures’

No mask necessary if transferring a patient with covid and a distance of 1m could be maintained.

This advice was so far from what was happening in italy and China that really and truest it’s no wonder 32% of our cases were HCWs.

It’s very shocking and was purely political. The mask fiasco is still going on. We know we didn’t have enough for everyone. Why didn’t they just say that instead of casting doubt in their effectiveness. Now we have supplies trying to shift public opinion like turning an oil rig. I fear a further extensive outbreak is only thing which will drive people to use them.

I think masks handled very badly in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We aren't in a better place than March. Our nations finances are destroyed and another stricter lockdown is inevitable.

Why do u say another stricter lockdown is inevitable,how can anyone say that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement