Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

Comments

Iphone...... strong coke habit

Craft beer...... tedious bore

Queing 20 plus mins for drive through..... idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Nespresso - you don't like coffee, and you don't like the environment.

In Ireland of late, Nespresso has become a new signaler that the household is urbane and sophisticated.

Some will now say "Would you like a coffee?"

When tea is not offered you know something is up - you know there is a Nespresso machine lurking in the gaf somewhere.

Then the inevitable, "It's Nespresso, you know". Read: "don't even think about turning my offer down"

I'm sure the same process when on when Sodastreams were en vogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

rapul wrote: »
    No. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I will totally judge a book by its cover.

51CQo0NPngL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

North Face, is the guy wearing it an adventurer just back from the mountains or is he a drug dealer. More likely the latter than the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

When I was a kid I thought only gay men shopped at River Island!

What...on...Earth?
    Arghus wrote: »
    I hear conflicting things about this. One one hand people I know who work with anything at all involving graphic design or audio/visual shooting and editing seem to prefer Apple products.

But anyone I know who works with development or programming seems to hate Apple products.

So are Apple products "superior" - and, if so, why?

There was a time when Apples were genuinely better than PCs for media. That's probably not the case anymore but everyone in the industry uses them so there's no incentive to switch over.

Beyond that I think it's all done to use. I love my iPad, loved my old iMac (don't love the new one so much) and would switch phones to Android but can't be arsed. They're computers and there are use cases for them all; I wouldn’t buy a Mac for gaming for instance but even that depends on what kind of gaming you want to do and what other use you have for the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I use a Microsoft Surface Book for work, and must say it's an outstanding device. I was a Macbook user, but our IT department put in place policies that only allowed us to use Windows devices. I was hesitant at first, but now find Windows 10 to be a far more enjoyable environment to work in than MacOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Earthhorse wrote: »
    What...on...Earth?

I'm unsure why to be honest. I think it may have been because I just associated it with gay and flamboyant men. I've a feeling tough it was something that was said at school at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Don't forget Lee Cooper. Same price bracket as wranglers.. still popular around Crossmaglen, along with the 'dealer' boots.

I have a pair of wrangler and Lee jeans , both modern slim tapered fit or whatever it’s called and am far from a mucksavage. But maybe I don’t give a f*ck what other people buy or wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You can be sure the people that moan about drivers of audi,BMW etc are the ones driving sh!tty little Korean cars

I’m sure there are plenty of people out there with money driving “sh!tty” Korean cars who’d rather spend their money on more useful things.
    I can’t understand the mentality that people seem to think someone else should be impressed by the car they drive.
    A metal box with four wheels that takes you from point a to point b when you put fuel in it...:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If anyone chooses something to buy based largely on what brand it is, my opinion of them goes down a little. I'm sure there are counterexamples, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Not a particular brand but I know a good few lads who would buy the cheapest sh1te and chuck it away after a few years because they can't be arsed looking after it and like to have something brand new in their hands. Drives me mad to see this carry on. The fella getting the cheap gutless daysul Golf on the Puckleberry-P and 'ah shur just trade it in 3 years time' would be one of them.

Also anyone who buys an Alexa or an OK Google is a sheep who doesn't mind being spied upon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Ficheall wrote: »
    If anyone chooses something to buy based largely on what brand it is, my opinion of them goes down a little. I'm sure there are counterexamples, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Previous good experience with the brand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SpielCheck

Anyone using Black and Decker

I automatically assume theyre a racist a$$h0le

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Skoda - I am about to be bored to death in 3,2,.....
    Wearing Tracksuit - I am either coming or going to the bookies
    Buying Lotto tickets - I failed maths at school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Granadino wrote: »
    I’m sure there are plenty of people out there with money driving “sh!tty” Korean cars who’d rather spend their money on more useful things.
    I can’t understand the mentality that people seem to think someone else should be impressed by the car they drive.
    A metal box with four wheels that takes you from point a to point b when you put fuel in it...:

It really is horses for courses. Some people derive great pleasure from cars and would gladly spend a large proportion of their income on their mode of transport. I get little pleasure from motoring and see it as an expensive but necessary evil. I spend a small fortune on my (niche) hobby which I'm sure others would baulk at!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

SpielCheck wrote: »
    Anyone using Black and Decker

I automatically assume theyre a racist a$$h0le

I feel the same when I see someone eating a Nogger Black ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It never ceases to amaze me how someone else could get so riled up by another person's choice of phone :confused:

Makes me love Apple that little bit more :D

I love my Apple iPad and my Samsung Phone... Problem is the Apple loyalists get all arsey when you endeavor to say you ‘like’ or ‘prefer’ or you consider a better product like a Samsung S10 over the latest iPhone. You have expressed a preference, but the Apple dweebs get all full of tears, toys out of the pram, try to convince you that you are wrong, quote you numbers, stats this and that.... all I’ve said is... “I PREFER THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S10, to me that’s a better phone”..... the reply... “ahhhh, but...” :pac: I prefer the Hyundai Santa Fe over the Nissan Qashqai, I prefer Head tennis rackets over slazenger, I prefer galaxy chocolate over Cadburys, to me each product is better... but the Apple persons.. “YOU ARE WRONG”... “The IPhone is better, stop being wrong aghhhhhh”... that weird loyalty is...odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Or prefer using superior devices. It's ok though, most people who slate Apple fans as 'sheep', can't afford Apple products anyway.

Nothing apple is superior ever they are overpriced fashion statements , def for sheep that haven't a notion what they are paying for.

Unless you of course like paying for a product that the company slows deliberately once they ve released a new one to "encourage" you to buy a new one.

So ya apple = not tech savvy sheep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Any lad that wears skinny jeans is instantly classed a tosser, who should be shot with a ball of his own ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I own a Huawai phone. It's excellent.
    (I'm not just saying that cos...you know;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I own a Huawai phone. It's excellent.
    (I'm not just saying that cos...you know;)

They are not great, sure every time I call you and say... “hello the rubberchikken” the signal just dies, I mean, come on ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I do.

One Example.
    I can tell if someone is price sensitive or otherwise motivated from the brands they use. This can tell me if i want to sell them a product what i should market towards them.

If someone is more brand sensitive than price sensitive i have to convince them more. These people can be turned off more easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Saab drivers classify themselves as a rich cousin to Volvo drivers.

Ficheall wrote: »

What ketchup do you buy? Would you always buy heinz if its there?

Some people are brand sensitive....fussy...with clothes too....or cars ...they like things just so or are rigid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Never spent more than 1500 on a car and don't see the reason to. Get one with a fresh NCT and your flying.

It's the biggest waste of money you can spend. If I see someone drive a new car I just think to myself they have **** all of a social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If you wear joop you're trying to finger 15 year old girls, whether you're 15 or 50......

Do people still buy that muck ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The fella getting the cheap gutless daysul Golf on the Puckleberry-P

What is a Puckleberry-P?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What is a Puckleberry-P?

PCP is my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

theteal wrote: »
    PCP is my guess

Yep spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yep spot on

Personal Contract Purchase. Puckleberry. Where did that come from or did you make it up?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Apple - easily influenced.

The Apple hate is bizarre.

Read a thread the other day where some eejit said it's a 'brand for f*tards'.

I use iPhones because I like iOS better than Android. I use a Macbook because I prefer a Unix based OS than Windows. I prefer programming/scripting on a Macbook. However, I still wouldn't rule out using Windows in the future. Especially given that W10 offers bash shell.

So you see, I'm not a clueless sheep. Merely a person with a preference. People would do well not judge everybody by the type of phone/laptop etc. they use. That, my friends, is what a f*cktard would do. :)

Edit: I do enjoy my Amazon Fire Tablet too. Cheap and does what I need it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Cupatae wrote: »
    Nothing apple is superior ever they are overpriced fashion statements , def for sheep that haven't a notion what they are paying for.

Unless you of course like paying for a product that the company slows deliberately once they ve released a new one to "encourage" you to buy a new one.

So ya apple = not tech savvy sheep
    I'm the biggest Android fan you'll meet, but even I can admit that Apple has a much better track record for keeping its phones up to date than Android do.

Most devices unless they're a Pixel aren't on the latest android version, and won't ever get it either. Meanwhile Apple keeps older phones up to date for years. Sure they get slower, but software gets more demanding too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention. It's all about the look for apple users.
    Nevermind you're forced to use their ****e software and their compatibility with other computers is terrible, and their phones let you do nothing in terms of accessing their files easily without all the useless itunes and apple software they force you to install, and nevermind the fact their macbooks have such ****e hardware you'll end up paying an extra 1000 euro vs an actual useful computer.

File this under 'Things that aren't true or that were true 5 years ago'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Rothko wrote: »
    I'll admit that I think less of people who read The Sun

By cunts, for cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Rothko wrote: »
    I'll admit that I think less of people who read The Sun

You sir have great taste in art, respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Whenever I see a toddler dressed head to toe in designer tracksuit (matching top and bottoms), essentially a mini-me version of their daddy, I assume their parent(s) is either a drug dealer or wannabe gangster.

Essentially something like this:

rBVaWF6UGTWAbWXFAADlw9Hivtw075.jpg

In no time, they will graduate to tasteless techno music, have a penchant for "souped up" cars and love MMA.

It bring a tear to ur i so it wud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

white volkswagon passat

you're townie scum in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

drinks stella - obviously beats the wife

lacoste - assume they're a howiya
    leinster jersey bet around a beer belly - knob

big black puffy jackets - impoverished

bmw - likes to injure cyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Anyone that wear anything with the brand name emblazoned across it will always be sub-human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The Apple hate is bizarre.

Read a thread the other day where some eejit said it's a 'brand for f*tards'.

I use iPhones because I like iOS better than Android. I use a Macbook because I prefer a Unix based OS than Windows. I prefer programming/scripting on a Macbook. However, I still wouldn't rule out using Windows in the future. Especially given that W10 offers bash shell.

So you see, I'm not a clueless sheep. Merely a person with a preference. People would do well not judge everybody by the type of phone/laptop etc. they use. That, my friends, is what a f*cktard would do. :)

Edit: I do enjoy my Amazon Fire Tablet too. Cheap and does what I need it to.

I agree with you, if people prefer Apple products so what. However the comments about you only prefer anything else is frequently commented that you just can't afford it and are really jealous.

It goes both ways the Apple love can be quite eye rolling too.

I am afraid I do even though I know my assumptions are unfair. My guilty reading pleasure is the Daily Mail App for God sake and I have been known to watch an episode or twelve of RHOOC. Then there's my love of craft beers.

Anyways. My list:
    Michael Kors wearers. It's not an assumption as such that I make more of a "hmm how tasteless".
    This isn't really a brand but parents who give their babies those ready made dinners. It only takes a few minutes to cook and mash up some veg. Why would you give your child processed stuff?
    Men who wear grey tracksuit bottoms that have elasticated ankles. I immediately think they are a 'ne'er do well'.
    Anyone who has a designer logo covering most of their body. It looks tacky and ridiculous.

Most of the assumptions I make though aren't associated with particular brands.

stoneill wrote: »
    Anyone that wear anything with the brand name emblazoned across it will always be sub-human.

To be brandless without exception tho is the same as wearing a brand tho...some brands of clothing partic designer clothing make their brandless designs even more expensive than their branded ones ...people will pay extra to get the same thing with without the logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

Arghus wrote: »
    I hear conflicting things about this. One one hand people I know who work with anything at all involving graphic design or audio/visual shooting and editing seem to prefer Apple products.

But anyone I know who works with development or programming seems to hate Apple products.

So are Apple products "superior" - and, if so, why?

As a developer, Apple make it more difficult for you to do nasty things like spy on users and install all kinds of malware. This means you have to jump through several hoops that can make life awkward when you want to do genuine things like conduct user tests. Android is like the wild west where you can put out any old crap that messes up people's phones and it's all totally fine.

Which is why a 5 year old iPhone will still run like new (apart from battery degradation, though the EU got onto them about that so it may not be an issue with their new devices) while a typical 5 year old android device that hasn't been meticulously maintained by its owner is only fit for the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

stoneill wrote: »

Yeah. Why would you want emblazoned when you can get your favorite brand name tattooed, or better yet, scarified.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yeah. Why would you want emblazoned when you can get your favorite brand name tattooed, or better yet, scarified.
    What if they rebrand , change up their logo???:(

Maybe you could auction yourself off as a rarity in that case!

• Advertisement

Yes I do.

When i see a girl carrying a box of Durex I take here to be a slut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Audi -Middle aged man with greying hair, massive ego, thinks theyre great drivers but are actually dire and drive dangerously because they think it makes them cool.

Apple - sheep. Doesn't know how restricted their devices are, and how much theyre being ripped off for subpar devices.

Not a brand but notice a lot of people are addicted to buying useless ****e from amazon they don't need. Addicted to consuming and buying worthless plastic junk while they spend all day just looking at the amazon app. Very sad.

Same people will also complain they can't afford xyz and are struggling financially.

Calling Apple users "sheep" is the most sheep like behaviour I have seen in the last few years.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. It's all about the look for apple users.
    Nevermind you're forced to use their ****e software and their compatibility with other computers is terrible, and their phones let you do nothing in terms of accessing their files easily without all the useless itunes and apple software they force you to install, and nevermind the fact their macbooks have such ****e hardware you'll end up paying an extra 1000 euro vs an actual useful computer.

It all boils down to look. I have an apple product therefore I look like I have money and in my eyes that makes me cool.

Brainwashed by marketing.

The anger that from non-Apple users over people that use Apple is baffling to me.

Also filled with errors, you don't need iTunes or any Apple software to use them.

I don't think anybody uses iPhones for the 'look'. Yes, when they first came out but nowadays they're so commonplace that nobody takes notice and the majority are in cases anyway.

Just let people buy and use any phone they want, it has no impact on your life whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Ush1 wrote: »
    Aldi sell most of the things you listed.

Think the German stores are more basic, they had to adapt for the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not a particular brand but I know a good few lads who would buy the cheapest sh1te and chuck it away after a few years because they can't be arsed looking after it and like to have something brand new in their hands. Drives me mad to see this carry on. The fella getting the cheap gutless daysul Golf on the Puckleberry-P and 'ah shur just trade it in 3 years time' would be one of them.

Also anyone who buys an Alexa or an OK Google is a sheep who doesn't mind being spied upon

I use Alexa, and I love it.

I can use voice to play any music I want. I can play any radio station I want.
    I have routines set up to control lights and switches.
    It's great for setting multiple timers when cooking.
    That's just a few uses.

So go away with that stupid sheep comment.

As for spying, you're right I don't care and also don't really believe it happens.
    Even so , my life is not that interesting and nor have I noticed targeted advertising based on conversations I've had.

Really, just put the tin foil hat away and let people enjoy their smart speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

What if they rebrand , change up their logo???:(

Maybe you could auction yourself off as a rarity in that case!

Yes, if you may have to wait it out sometime when brands fall out of favor.
    That's why it is better to stick with old favorites like "Mother" rather than Adidas in the universe of tattoos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement