Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

When young fellas show up to the clubhouse with new leathers and way too many clean HD patches.You just know they watched too many Sons of Anarchy episodes and have no clue what they are getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Anyone who buys samsung/huawei tend to be the sort of people you see claiming the dole or shop on the yellow sticker aisles.

A person who wants something that'll do the basic job required for a far cheaper price?

Guilty as charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Nice to see the thread didn't make it one page before the Apple bores crashed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Tag Heuer watches - the timepiece of choice of car salesmen, IT consultants, and small shop owners.

Aldi - I was watching that Prime Time special last night and an ad for Aldi came on during the commercial break. It showed a family boasting about how much money they had saved by switching to Aldi. I live in Germany, and Aldi is associated with students, Turkish immigrants, and penny pinchers from the former East Germany. Irish families have more than enough money to spend on quality food, and should spend more on quality fruit and vegetables, free range (preferably organic) chicken and pork, fresh fish; bread that doesn't come from a plastic bag, and wine that is actually drinkable. They seem to skimp on food, and then squander their money on completely unnecessary fripperies like bouncing castles, televisions for their bedrooms, all inclusive package holidays, and cheap diesel cars on PCP.

Nespresso - you don't like coffee, and you don't like the environment.

Tag Heuer watches - the timepiece of choice of car salesmen, IT consultants, and small shop owners.

Aldi - I was watching that Prime Time special last night and an ad for Aldi came on during the commercial break. It showed a family boasting about how much money they had saved by switching to Aldi. I live in Germany, and Aldi is associated with students, Turkish immigrants, and penny pinchers from the former East Germany. Irish families have more than enough money to spend on quality food, and should spend more on quality fruit and vegetables, free range (preferably organic) chicken and pork, fresh fish; bread that doesn't come from a plastic bag, and wine that is actually drinkable. They seem to skimp on food, and then squander their money on completely unnecessary fripperies like bouncing castles, televisions for their bedrooms, all inclusive package holidays, and cheap diesel cars on PCP.

A surprisingly short list, all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

BMW with "angry" headlamps = knob end.

Coupled with the German font reg.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I've never known a MINI driver that wasn't an outrageous attention seeker.

The most impractical of cars given space. Thankfully the trend of adding eyelashes to the lights that was around during the Celtic Tiger has died out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Any fancy man water brand like Voss. It's water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

coolbeans wrote: »
    Any fancy man water brand like Voss. It's water.

Bottled water full stop tbh. If you're somewhere with drinkable tap water obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

People who wear high end designer labels (doesn't matter if its real or counterfeit) with the brand logo on display in a big way i.e. the logo covers most of the garment e.g. Hugo Boss etc.

I'm convinced these people are trying to fit in a class they are not a part of. I'm also convinced the labels know this.

Also penneys 4 life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Arghus wrote: »
    I hear conflicting things about this. One one hand people I know who work with anything at all involving graphic design or audio/visual shooting and editing seem to prefer Apple products.

But anyone I know who works with development or programming seems to hate Apple products.

So are Apple products "superior" - and, if so, why?

They’re really not any more or less superior than anything else out there. I’m typing this reply on an iPhone 7 Plus, it does the job, it does what I need it to do. That’s all I want it for. I thought about getting an iPhone 11 when they came out, but iOS 13 would be pretty much the same, and I sure as hell don’t need four cameras! I might not bother with an iPhone 12 either when iOS 14 is released and STILL works on a phone that must be what, five years old now?

I did have to laugh at the earlier comment about 120Hz refresh rate on Android and sticking with his €100 phone, as if you’d get 120Hz refresh rate on a €100 Android phone, that was just pure cheeky! :D

All that being said, I’d go back to Windows 10 Phone on my Lumia 950 in the morning if I could. Loved the OS, the hardware, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Aldi sell most of the things you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Audi. I always assume that the owners of these vehicles will act the maggot on the road, including never indicating at roundabouts.

its not just audi drivers.

the amount of people who dont indicate on roundabout, going on or coming off, is staggering, i'd say its about 60% plus. I genuinely believe they don't know you're meant to indicate at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Who gives a **** about what product a person uses. The person criticising is a bigger fool. Why can people just mind their own business. If we all did them we wouldn't be in this **** show of a situation we are all on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

its not just audi drivers.

the amount of people who dont indicate on roundabout, going on or coming off, is staggering, i'd say its about 60% plus. I genuinely believe they don't know you're meant to indicate at all.
    A lot don't seem to know what lane they should be in and think they can just cut across to their exit when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You can be sure the people that moan about drivers of audi,BMW etc are the ones driving sh!tty little Korean cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

No. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Who gives a **** about what product a person uses. The person criticising is a bigger fool. Why can people just mind their own business. If we all did them we wouldn't be in this **** show of a situation we are all on now.

I've never read such an angry plea for tolerance before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

sweet_trip wrote: »
    It all boils down to look. I have an apple product therefore I look like I have money and in my eyes that makes me cool.

It never ceases to amaze me how someone else could get so riled up by another person's choice of phone :confused:

Makes me love Apple that little bit more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

All that being said, I’d go back to Windows 10 Phone on my Lumia 950 in the morning if I could. Loved the OS, the hardware, etc.

That was a great phone, and the Windows OS was a joy to use. Pity Microsoft decided to pull the plug on it. Not that it matters; they are now the most valuable company on the US stock exchange.

• Advertisement

Iphone...... strong coke habit

Craft beer...... tedious bore

Queing 20 plus mins for drive through..... idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

In Ireland of late, Nespresso has become a new signaler that the household is urbane and sophisticated.

Some will now say "Would you like a coffee?"

When tea is not offered you know something is up - you know there is a Nespresso machine lurking in the gaf somewhere.

Then the inevitable, "It's Nespresso, you know". Read: "don't even think about turning my offer down"

I'm sure the same process when on when Sodastreams were en vogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

rapul wrote: »
    No. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I will totally judge a book by its cover.

51CQo0NPngL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

North Face, is the guy wearing it an adventurer just back from the mountains or is he a drug dealer. More likely the latter than the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

When I was a kid I thought only gay men shopped at River Island!

What...on...Earth?
    Arghus wrote: »
    I hear conflicting things about this. One one hand people I know who work with anything at all involving graphic design or audio/visual shooting and editing seem to prefer Apple products.

But anyone I know who works with development or programming seems to hate Apple products.

So are Apple products "superior" - and, if so, why?

There was a time when Apples were genuinely better than PCs for media. That's probably not the case anymore but everyone in the industry uses them so there's no incentive to switch over.

Beyond that I think it's all done to use. I love my iPad, loved my old iMac (don't love the new one so much) and would switch phones to Android but can't be arsed. They're computers and there are use cases for them all; I wouldn’t buy a Mac for gaming for instance but even that depends on what kind of gaming you want to do and what other use you have for the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I use a Microsoft Surface Book for work, and must say it's an outstanding device. I was a Macbook user, but our IT department put in place policies that only allowed us to use Windows devices. I was hesitant at first, but now find Windows 10 to be a far more enjoyable environment to work in than MacOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Earthhorse wrote: »
    What...on...Earth?

I'm unsure why to be honest. I think it may have been because I just associated it with gay and flamboyant men. I've a feeling tough it was something that was said at school at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Don't forget Lee Cooper. Same price bracket as wranglers.. still popular around Crossmaglen, along with the 'dealer' boots.

I have a pair of wrangler and Lee jeans , both modern slim tapered fit or whatever it’s called and am far from a mucksavage. But maybe I don’t give a f*ck what other people buy or wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You can be sure the people that moan about drivers of audi,BMW etc are the ones driving sh!tty little Korean cars

I’m sure there are plenty of people out there with money driving “sh!tty” Korean cars who’d rather spend their money on more useful things.
    I can’t understand the mentality that people seem to think someone else should be impressed by the car they drive.
    A metal box with four wheels that takes you from point a to point b when you put fuel in it...:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If anyone chooses something to buy based largely on what brand it is, my opinion of them goes down a little. I'm sure there are counterexamples, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Advertisement