Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,815 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Laughing at some of the posts.

Anyone remember that investigation into nannies on RTE. Apparently Celtic Tiger couples were getting a "nanny" over - but when they got to Ireland, they were slowly turned into a slave - who had to clean the house , get up at 6 in the morning and cook the dinner and clean all day.

The justification was they were getting bed and lodging.

Basically a sizable number of Irish people started thinking that cooking or cleaning was below them and even raising your own kids was outsourced.

By the way - I think we were on the way back to that - not unusual to see Jet Skis in Dublin bay - horrible noise off them , in many basically residential coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I remember when a co worker went to shop in lidl for the first time ever 12 months into the recession. He came back to work the day after and was amazed at the prices and said to me "and people have been shopping there for years"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I nearly bought a house in April 2007 (top of the cliff time) for €290k and I was going to rent out to Poles- it was the thing at the time. Even put my deposit down and 100% mortgage offer to hand. Had no intention of living there.

For some unknown reason I just changed my mind and I honestly to this day cannnot understand why I just pulled out. Must have been some sort of guardian angel.

But anyway, all hell broke loose and the same houses were selling the following 1-2 years for €40k and the estate is still only half built to this day and looks pretty miserable.

Lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

the_syco wrote: »
    We had two options;

Bail out the banks, and we'd still have banks in Ireland.

Not bail out the banks, and use the banks not in Ireland.

The problem with the latter is that we'd be asking for a bank not in Ireland to lend to a country that has no banks, and no way of enforcing debt. Unlike the UK where they can take your stuff and sell it, apart from the Monk coming over to you, there's not much reason for you to pay up if you don't want to. So if the bank was going to lend to anyone in Ireland, the risk would be high, so thus would the interest.

Iceland didn't bail out the banks. They did the right thing and let them go balls to the wall. They also jailed the bankers and gave the middle finger to the Brits, Dutch and Germans who were demanding their ill-gotten gains.

Ireland actually had a workable solution but it was torpedoed by Timothy Geithner, another Goldman Sachs alumnus scumbag.

Saying there was no other way is bullsh1t.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I worked as a blocklayer/brickie's labourer for a while, about the year 1999/2000. As a labourer I was taking home close to £1000 per week with overtime, and a good, hard working brickie/blocklayer who didn't go on the lash would be on 4 times that.

Blocklaying is very hard work but it's one of the easiest trades to learn. Now getting good at it is another story.

4k a week? :eek:

• Advertisement

The problem was not bailing out the banks as such but rather bailing out ALL the banks with a blanket guarantee.

Some institutions should have been left to implode.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Necro wrote: »
    ShatterAlan, I already asked nicely for people to stop discussing financial institutions in depth in this thread.

This is not a thread for that. Any further discussion you wish to have about the topic can be via PM or alternatively start a thread in a more appropriate forum.

Final warning to get back on topic.
    Iceland didn't bail out the banks. They did the right thing and let them go balls to the wall. They also jailed the bankers and gave the middle finger to the Brits, Dutch and Germans who were demanding their ill-gotten gains.

Ireland actually had a workable solution but it was torpedoed by Timothy Geithner, another Goldman Sachs alumnus scumbag.

Saying there was no other way is bullsh1t.
    The problem was not bailing out the banks as such but rather bailing out ALL the banks with a blanket guarantee.

Some institutions should have been left to implode.

Mod:

Did I stutter or something? Thread bans will ensue for ANY further discussion along these lines.

Do not respond to this on thread, do not respond to another post about this on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

duffysfarm wrote: »
    I remember when a co worker went to shop in lidl for the first time ever 12 months into the recession. He came back to work the day after and was amazed at the prices and said to me "and people have been shopping there for years"

most Irish people didnt shop in Lidl during the boom. People looked down on anyone who shopped there, its only poor people who shop there I remember someone telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Playing junior soccer with the local team(really an excuse to go drinking afterwards) at the height of things and after a few beers someone would break out a deck of cards. As I was barely able to shuffle the deck not to mind play I had a front row seat as pots of 12-15 hundred euro built up very quickly. Mostly lads working on building sites so throwing in 50 or 100 euros at a time meant nothing. Some of the sharks came away with serious winnings and losers didn’t seem to mind too much..crazy stuff.

salonfire wrote: »
    Just because you don't have any savings doesn't mean everyone is the same.

People had their whole life savings in the bank. These are the people who were rightly bailed out.

Deposits are guaranteed. What are you talking about?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    most Irish people didnt shop in Lidl during the boom. People looked down on anyone who shopped there, its only poor people who shop there I remember someone telling me.

Don't forget there was nowhere near the same amount of Lidl and Aldi shops around then as there is now. The few I can think of around the 2005-2007 time were located in less well to do areas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

ShatterAlan do not post in this thread again

ShatterAlan, I already asked nicely for people to stop discussing financial institutions in depth in this thread.

This is not a thread for that. Any further discussion you wish to have about the topic can be via PM or alternatively start a thread in a more appropriate forum.

Final warning to get back on topic.

Understood......I was replying to posts before I saw your post.

I blew €2000 on Blackjack online
    I had the Celtic Tiger BMW
    I flew Cork to Dublin a few times for the feck of it
    Ordering 3 bottles of Champagne in the Palace bar
    Several skiing trips
    Weekend breaks away to European cities
    In the position I could buy pretty much anything I wanted without being too bothered about the price.

By the end of 2008 I had €54k of unsecured debt. I was 30 yrs old and on €70k pa with no kids or mortgage. It all got a bit real then with wage freezes and cuts. Went on massive drive to pay back everything and cleared it all by the end of 2010

Mod:

Did I stutter or something? Thread bans will ensue for ANY further discussion along these lines.

Do not respond to this on thread, do not respond to another post about this on thread.

I heard you Necro. I was late in seeing your post. Point taken.

I nearly bought a house in April 2007 (top of the cliff time) for €290k and I was going to rent out to Poles- it was the thing at the time. Even put my deposit down and 100% mortgage offer to hand. Had no intention of living there.

For some unknown reason I just changed my mind and I honestly to this day cannnot understand why I just pulled out. Must have been some sort of guardian angel.

But anyway, all hell broke loose and the same houses were selling the following 1-2 years for €40k and the estate is still only half built to this day and looks pretty miserable.

Lucky escape.

You seriously dodged a bullet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod:

ShatterAlan do not post in this thread again

Reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I blew €2000 on Blackjack online
    I had the Celtic Tiger BMW
    I flew Cork to Dublin a few times for the feck of it
    Ordering 3 bottles of Champagne in the Palace bar
    Several skiing trips
    Weekend breaks away to European cities
    In the position I could buy pretty much anything I wanted without being too bothered about the price.

By the end of 2008 I had €54k of unsecured debt. I was 30 yrs old and on €70k pa with no kids or mortgage. It all got a bit real then with wage freezes and cuts. Went on massive drive to pay back everything and cleared it all by the end of 2010

What is the Celtic Tiger BMW? base spec 05/06 316/18 with cloth seats? Seem to be a lot of them around

Lockheed wrote: »
    What is the Celtic Tiger BMW? base spec 05/06 316/18 with cloth seats? Seem to be a lot of them around

Well it was a 320 coupe for me...with cloth seats..:o

Flogged it 18 mts later and took a €15k hit.

My biggest and most ridiculous Celtic Tiger splurge...wait for it..

A €250.00 mechanical penis extender...lovely walnut effect presentation box and bag.

Ended up in a skip within two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

My biggest and most ridiculous Celtic Tiger splurge...wait for it..

A €250.00 mechanical penis extender...lovely walnut effect presentation box and bag.

Ended up in a skip within two weeks.

I was very disappointed with mine. Left me and inch short of my 10” goal:(

I actually worked in a professional services industry between 2002 and 2010 that was heavily linked to the overall property market. Saw some mad crazy spending.

But the one stand out moment from circa 2006 as when my barber was telling me about the holiday villa she bought in Romania.

That's right fcuking Romania. She couldnt even get a direct flight from Ireland.

My haircut went from €7.00 to €12.00 pretty quickly and this was a spit and sawdust type of place not Peter Marks.

Wonder how she is getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Reading back on the above, I am trying to make up my mind if I missed out on the craic altogether and was too sensible, or that I dodged the ultimate bullet!
    Maybe I should have bought that 3 series after all, and enjoyed it while it lasted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got a full time job in 1999. Think it paid a shade above minimum wage.
    I thought I was loaded - I'd never really had a full time job before - I was a late starter.

So, while half the country was raking it in, I was earning feck-all and I was thrilled with myself!! Only credit I was offered was that my credit card limit kept increasing without me asking. Never went into debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Started my first job in 1998, way back when.
    I remember around that time breakfast rolls just becoming a thing.
    I was working outdoors so a hot meal in the morning was welcome.
    The original ones out local super value at the time did were still the best ever.
    Really tasty Sauages, bacon, black and white pudding, crusty roll, butter, ketchup or brown sauce.

No fussing, just simple ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Boom passed me by in a sense as the crash happened just as I got close to the age at which you'd be getting a summer job on the sites.

It was even more pronounced in small rural towns in the northwest imo especially when viewed through the knowledge of how bad the crash was here.

In my locality which is now home to some of the cheapest houses in Ireland 3 houses with helipads were built in about a 10 mile radius. One is still lived in, nama took one and the other was never finished and I think it ended up in nama too but still hasn't been sold. Another one of the big builds had/has a moat but it's dry now as the pump to keep it filled with water was turned off not long after the crash.

A local fella owned a helicopter that he only bought after getting put off the road while driving his Ferrari and the same buck employed a young fella cash in hand as his driver for when travel by car was more suited. Cab seized everything and sold it all for a fraction of what it cost shortly into the recession.

Friday from about 3 o'clock on, Saturday, Sunday and Monday were for drinking and other leisure activities such as jet skiing or boating on local lakes or stock car rallying at a relatively local disused quarry, loads of bucks got stock cars when they turned 15 or 16.

Very few really bothered moving away when they finished secondary school too much money to be made locally tbh. During a first year cspe class I remember our teacher asking us what we wanted to do when we finished school about three quarters of us said block layers. We did the leaving in 2011 safe to say none of us became block layers.

The crash was brutal. I'd say roughly 2 thirds of the local big big spenders lost their bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The father and myself were going to borrow over 1.5m to buy 22 sites of a second phase of an estate in a small Cavan town about a year before the bubble burst, they were working out at 65K a site and the first phase of houses were selling for 185k at the time.

We would have got the money and all but we decided that it was a bit big for first time developers.

Fast forward 2 years and those houses were worth about 45k and the sites were worth nothing. I'm not sure if the second phase of that development ever got done or someone lost their b****x.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thank goodness he has, some of us (me) are not native speakers of the English language and appreciate a quick explanation of a word they have never seen or used before.

Farrier. Same thing as a Ferrari. Like a Schumacher. But for horses. Not people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

When the pub times changed and pub were allowed to open until 12.30 am, wasn't it the same for Thursday nights and then there was some outcry about people not turning up for work on a Friday morning so they had to set it back an hour on Thursdays? I vaguely remember that happening but those years were pretty blurry.

I got married at the end of the tiger time and the prices for bands and photographers were astronomical. Looking back now on my leather bound €3k photo book as a lasting memory

Advertisement