Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your biggest waste of money

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0807/1224321629609.html

Just reading that article and especially at the end and the money wasted on items never used.

When you look back, what would you class as the most pointless waste of money you have spent on goods. I'll kick off:

1. €27k on a celtic tiger BMW that I sold 2 years later for €12k
    2. €250 on a....penis extender that ended up in a skip 4 weeks later...:o(Look, I was living alone, bored and with internet access and I thought I would put my spare time to good use)
    3. €2k on Anglo shares in 2005
    4. €300 on an exercise bike that I never used and I just abandoned it in a house when I left.

Many more will come to mind

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

my wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Nothing i'm very prudent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My Russian super model girlfriend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Not so thinly veiled 'I've money to burn' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

My degree.

Thanks Recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

2. €250 on a....penis extender that ended up in a skip 4 weeks later...:o(Look, I was living alone, bored and with internet access and I thought I would put my spare time to good use)

Did it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Not so thinly veiled 'I've money to burn' thread.

No my friend, "I had" money to spend. This is from the 2004-2008 period.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,371 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My CD, and to a lesser extent, DVD collection.

I have hundreds of CD albums, maybe 400. And nearly the same number of CD singles. A collection going back to the late 80s. I know its not as many as other people might have bought, but I probably paid £10 on average for each CD, and maybe £4 on average for each single, so probably looking at over £5k worth that is now mostly gathering dust.

Having said that, at least most of them got a listening to at some stage. Some still get listened to. I think DVD collections are the biggest waste of money, many of mine are still in the cellophane wrapping. People buy a lot of DVDs but never watch them. Or watch them once despite paying up to £15 for them. IF you are going to watch something once then renting it for £3 would be a better idea.

Did it work?

Never tried it for long enough. Too much effort and I felt like a right prat.

Never tried it for long enough. Too much effort and I felt like a right prat.

Where abouts did you throw it out... not that I plan on using it or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

A tommy tiernan boxset....wtf was i thinking???? Fuppin celtic tiger madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

700 euro on a top of the range weights bench, 140kg Olympic weights set, a squat cage and an Olympic bar

This was no Argos jobbie, bought from a professional supplier, proper gym quality stuff

Currently a clothes horse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Paying 3euro for a cup of coffee in a service station. It usually tasted putrid and I had to make it myself. The cctv cameras were for comedy viewing, laughing at us. Also, exercise equipment for the bedroom to hang my clothes on when going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Mostly on ridiculous cars around 2004-2007,

Oldish M3, traded it in 6 months later for a Lotus Elise, and that never lasted more than 2 weeks without being on the back of a recovery truck :rolleyes:
    Bought a house around 2004 with a soon after ex, not too bad for negative equity at the moment, but have it rented out and its a pain in the arse!!
    And from then until now pretty much everything i have bought, I'm an impulse buyer.................but I have learned my lessons now that i am a bit older and have far less money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

clearly you cant cure stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0807/1224321629609.html

Just reading that article and especially at the end and the money wasted on items never used.

When you look back, what would you class as the most pointless waste of money you have spent on goods. I'll kick off:

3. €2k on Anglo shares in 2005
    4. €300 on an exercise bike that I never used and I just abandoned it in a house when I left.

Many more will come to mind

Yeah you might have been rich but you're not so big in your pants now, are ya? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

€27k on a celtic tiger BMW that I sold 2 years later for €12k

I forked out 32k on a celtic tiger BMW....
    Bloody thing is worth 5-6k now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

£50 million pounds on fillipo inzaghi in champiosnhip manager 04

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mikemac1 wrote: »
    700 euro on a top of the range weights bench, 140kg Olympic weights set, a squat cage and an Olympic bar

This was no Argos jobbie, bought from a professional supplier, proper gym quality stuff

You need to give that crap away..................to me.:)

benwavner wrote: »
    A tommy tiernan boxset....wtf was i thinking???? Fuppin celtic tiger madness!

Now that's ****ed up. I don't feel so bad about the penis extender now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just spent €1200 on an electric bike, we'll see how much use it gets. Cycled to work this morning for the first time ever. Spent €14000 on gambling on the horsies, now that was a real waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You selling it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A house. Bought near the peak of the bubble with my own and my parents' money (no bank loan) It was a luxury purchase as while nice to have, I didn't really need it, also it's too big for my needs

Anything else I have wasted/lost money on pales into insignificance compared to that error of judgement. I did spend a few hundred on a free standing punchbag/man once which was utter crap but apart from that and the house I've generally not been wasteful, quite the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

2. €250 on a....penis extender that ended up in a skip 4 weeks later...:o

You bought 2 penis extenders :eek:

You bought 2 penis extenders :eek:

And the women were not impressed wither the failure of both of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Give ya 300 for the lot and you can even feel how tight my ass is after a few weeks squating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Booze, fags and taxis.

The booze and fags are obvious, probably blew €300 most weekends on nights out during my single days. During the good years I was a demon for flagging a taxi when a bus would've been along in another 10/15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Sleepy wrote: »
    Booze, fags and taxis.

The booze and fags are obvious, probably blew €300 most weekends on nights out during my single days. During the good years I was a demon for flagging a taxi when a bus would've been along in another 10/15 minutes.

wow..real high roller we have here, such extravagance..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My racing snail. The fooker never won a single race. I even went to the drastic step of removing his shell. Had no effect at all. If anything, it made him more sluggish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

wow..real high roller we have here, such extravagance..
    Add that up over a decade and it's a hell of a lot of cash.

If we're talking single one-off purchases, an Audi A4 that I got about 6 months out of before flogging it for scrap.

Advertisement