Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Gintonious wrote: »
    While I think most social media platforms are doing the right thing and picking the right course of action when it comes to political content, I can't help but see this as ammo for Trump to use come November.

Currently, he is already trying to set the tone of fraud, fake news, "they are out to get me" type of speech that will get his die-hard supporters doubt the validity of the election. This is a coy play on setting up the narrative and also him realizing that he might not just lose, but get hammered in November.

This could well charge up whatever is left of his base to cause some serious unrest and violence if that happens.

You may be right in terms of it being ammunition for Trump.

Trump has long since given up on any attempts to win over new voters (if he ever had any real intentions there) and his sole focus is on squeezing every last vote out of the ~40% core that has remained with him throughout.

The question is though will that be enough to combat the likely large turn-out from the other 60% of the voters?

If he gets to within 4/5% of Biden in the polls he has a shot via the Electoral College, but if Biden can hold the gap out to beyond that 5% level (the further the better) then he simply won't have enough votes to get him over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Trump hit an inside straight to win the last time and he is looking like he will have to do the same again, so many paths for Biden to victory, so few for Trump. hopefully that's continues.

Re giving him ammo, yeah do, **** it like. Let him have his pity parties, his base is circa 30% of the voting population. Let them all have a massive pity party about how everyone is against them and so unfair, it's not like they don't do that anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Penn wrote: »
    Reddit has fully banned The_Donald subreddit. Seems a lot of social media sites starting to see the writing on the wall in terms of how the upcoming election could affect their ad sales if advertisers pull away from them.

Until the biggest one, Facebook, takes definitive action other than Commander Data Zuckerberg saying he'll look in to it. It'll have sweet FA effect

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

duploelabs wrote: »
    Until the biggest one, Facebook, takes definitive action other than Commander Data Zuckerberg saying he'll look in to it. It'll have sweet FA effect

Agreed - But they are being hit in the wallet now.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Read that there is a pretty big boycott for advertising on Facebook for the month of July in protest at how they ignore hate speech and refuse to remove it. Unilever and Coca Cola are part of the boycott, Facebooks shares dropped 7% on their announcment that they would spend no ad money with them for all of July.

So let's see if Zuckerberg has a Damascene moment and actually starts to deal with the crap on his platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Penn wrote: »
    Do you think that given his position and especially when it's already been established that what appears on his Twitter account qualifies as Presidential statements, that he should undertake such due diligence before retweeting?

Absolutely, no argument there .I am sure his staff would have warned him to be careful. But it appears there is no talking sense into him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, no argument there .I am sure his staff would have warned him to be careful. But it appears there is no talking sense into him.

And where/when do you think that humility starts and he listens to others? Is that not extremely disturbing considering the power at his control?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Twitch have issued a temporary ban for Don!
    As alluded to earlier, quite a lot of streaming and social media sites are going to start enforcing their rules to protect their bottom lines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Reddit decision kinda depends on how the Trump / Fox narrative frames it. From my PoV it seemed a particularly noxious place filled with all the worst excesses of Trump support. Drawing attention to its shuttering could potentially draw attention to its content, in which case the indignation is lost among the invective and prejudice. It'll be interesting to see if (say) Tucker Carlson takes it onboard as part of the great "big tech is bias to liberals" conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Read that there is a pretty big boycott for advertising on Facebook for the month of July in protest at how they ignore hate speech and refuse to remove it. Unilever and Coca Cola are part of the boycott, Facebooks shares dropped 7% on their announcment that they would spend no ad money with them for all of July.

About time. I deleted my Facebook account years ago and best thing I ever did. And what I've seen of Mark zukerberg in front of congress wasn't very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Christy42

banie01 wrote: »
    Twitch have issued a temporary ban for Don!
    As alluded to earlier, quite a lot of streaming and social media sites are going to start enforcing their rules to protect their bottom lines.

What in the world was he using twitch for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Christy42 wrote: »

Streaming himself ripping people off in Animal Crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Christy42 wrote: »

Apparently hi campaign lived streamed his rallies from it, so likely it was from the kung flu type racist comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Or maybe he is doing exactly as he wishes and wants.

I stopped thinking ages ago that these were simply mistakes. There has been too many of them. Once or twice, fair enough, people make mistakes. But he has never apologised, never taken back what he says.

So the only real conclusion is that this is all on purpose. Gradually, but consistently, push the white power agenda. He, and those around him, are smart enough to know that simply coming out with racist remarks is never going to fly, si do it lightly but pointedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Gintonious wrote: »
    This could well charge up whatever is left of his base to cause some serious unrest and violence if that happens.

I remember those people dressed in black and described as anarchists by the media, going around smashing shop windows on the day of Trump's inauguration. Totally unwarranted at any time, really, but that display of wanton contempt for property could pale into insignificance against what a certain proportion of Trump's base will do *if* Trump loses, and *if* Trump is reckless enough to rile his supporters up in the wake of that.

The current divisions in the USA certainly come across to me as being the closest that the country has come to another civil war in a long time. Now, in saying that, they could still be miles off it, but it's a dark path they appear to be heading down in their discourse. It's one thing not to agree on an issue, but it's another to not even be able to find mutually held truths that you can have arguments on top of, and that's the point they've arrived at with their partisanship.

briany wrote: »
    I remember those people dressed in black and described as anarchists by the media, going around smashing shop windows on the day of Trump's inauguration. Totally unwarranted at any time, really, but that display of wanton contempt for property could pale into insignificance against what a certain proportion of Trump's base will do *if* Trump loses, and *if* Trump is reckless enough to rile his supporters up in the wake of that.

The current divisions in the USA certainly come across to me as being the closest that the country has come to another civil war in a long time. Now, in saying that, they could still be miles off it, but it's a dark path they appear to be heading down in their discourse. It's one thing not to agree on an issue, but it's another to not even be able to find mutually held truths that you can have arguments on top of, and that's the point they've arrived at with their partisanship.

If Trump gets beaten in November, he's going to jail if he doesn't do the switcheroo with Pence. If the GOP doesn't back that idea, what has he got to lose, in for a penny and all that.

There's two major Ifs there, but it's very plausible given his track record

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This Taliban/Russia thing could really be a major problem for Trump. As usual his first action is to deny it, now its moved to trying to muddy the waters. And Pence is caught up in this too.

Given how hard he has been pushing for Russia to get back into the G8, it comes off at best as being made a fool off.

And Americans don't like that. The WH continued non statement on what they intend to do with Russia because of it is almost a bigger story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Just out of interest, what do posters here think is the truth about the alleged Trump/Russia links?

Nonsense or real?

And if the latter, how deep does it go?

Just out of interest, what do posters here think is the truth about the alleged Trump/Russia links?

Nonsense or real?

And if the latter, how deep does it go?

Well I think there's some thing to it. I say that because even tonight the press secretary said that the New York Times is wrong in that the president was briefed about this. They have in no way tried to say the substance of the report is wrong which I'm sure they'd do if it was. They are saying the president wasn't briefed but honestly something as serious would surely be in his Daily briefing which I'm sure congress could clear up by issuing a subpoena for his daily briefings for early march. If it's not in there then trumps claim of not being briefed holds up. If it's there then trump is in serious trouble, especially as he's recently spoke at a West Point graduation and if he had intelligence about these bounties and did nothing, the Lincoln project have their next ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

He's apparently completely fluent in German, talsk in it with German officials prior to official proceedings taking place, and has apparently even acted as an impromptu translator of sorts before (I know its RT, just pointing to the gist of it) -

Just to add to this, Putin was stationed in Dresden East Germany when the Soviet Union collapsed. The KGB office he was in was met with angry demonstrators wanting to attack and ransack it. Putin bluffed in Deutsch that the building was filled with armed KGB officials and any attempt to attack it would be met with gunfire, he was the only KGB official there. Sounds like a folk tale or Russian Propaganda but it's backed up by multiple Western sources.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32066222

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

CNN now leading that Intel about Russian bounty on US Troops was in the West Wing PDB in early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just to add to this, Putin was stationed in Dresden East Germany when the Soviet Union collapsed. The KGB office he was in was met with angry demonstrators wanting to attack and ransack it. Putin bluffed in Deutsch that the building was filled with armed KGB officials and any attempt to attack it would be met with gunfire, he was the only KGB official there. Sounds like a folk tale or Russian Propaganda but it's backed up by multiple Western sources.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32066222

I would well believe it Plus Putin seems like he can adapt to any situation when required. Such as acting as translator for a German fella on Russian tv show.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well I think there's some thing to it. I say that because even tonight the press secretary said that the New York Times is wrong in that the president was briefed about this. They have in no way tried to say the substance of the report is wrong which I'm sure they'd do if it was. They are saying the president wasn't briefed but honestly something as serious would surely be in his Daily briefing which I'm sure congress could clear up by issuing a subpoena for his daily briefings for early march. If it's not in there then trumps claim of not being briefed holds up. If it's there then trump is in serious trouble, especially as he's recently spoke at a West Point graduation and if he had intelligence about these bounties and did nothing, the Lincoln project have their next ad.

Even if, for the sake of argument, McEnaney's claim that Trump wasn't briefed was true (and long experience tells us that such a denial should be dismissed) that still wouldn't explain how Trump has offered no pushback at all against Russia at all in the 72 hours since the story went public.

The Lincoln Project have already gone to town on him.

Even if, for the sake of argument, McEnaney's claim that Trump wasn't briefed was true (and long experience tells us that such a denial should be dismissed) that still wouldn't explain how Trump has offered no pushback at all against Russia at all in the 72 hours since the story went public.

That's why he held a House Republican only briefing a little earlier.

The Democrats aren't getting a briefing until tomorrow...The GOP need to get the story straight..

They are now shifting to "We didn't tell the President because we were still investigating it , but now that the Fake News Media broke the story , we can no longer investigate , so it's all the New York Times fault , there's blood on their hands"

https://twitter.com/RepJimBanks/status/1277686655776784386

Just so far beyond parody at this stage..

I believe over 100 newspapers called for Bill Clinton to resign during his impeachment trial.

How many newspapers have called for Trump to resign?

I can't think of many, if any, even.

Why aren't newspapers and television networks uniformly calling on Trump to resign? Why are the Democrats not doing so?

Wouldn't standing idly by and doing nothing except rewarding Russia when you know Russia is offering and paying prize money to the Taliban for killing US soldiers normally be a resigning matter, and then some?

I'd have thought that shouldn't even be a debate - it's brazenly selling your country out to a hostile foreign power.

Quin_Dub wrote: »

The Democrats aren't getting a briefing until tomorrow...The GOP need to get the story straight..

They are now shifting to "We didn't tell the President because we were still investigating it , but now that the Fake News Media broke the story , we can no longer investigate , so it's all the New York Times fault , there's blood on their hands"

Lying for Putin, in other words.

The US President and his party are circling the wagons to make up a lie so as to not offend Putin, the kleptocratic, imperialist dictator of Russia.

You could not make this up.

Which begs the question, why are Trump and the Republican party furiously circling the wagons to make up a lie so as not to offend Putin?

What's the reason?

Sorry I assumed when you said Russia you were talking anout this most recent Russia issue and not the broader Russia issue. I mean I think why he's not pushed back because as we have seen he thinks anything Russia related is a hoax of some kind. The fact he hasn't though will raise question as to whether he is comprimised in some way by the Russians.

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Why was Mark meadows briefing people on something that trump said meadows wasn't briefed on when the story broke ? Imagine at any time in the past a president of the United States getting this info and not doing condemning Russia. The GOP would be up in arms about this and rightly so, but trump went and played golf.

https://twitter.com/jpaceDC/status/1277792243055804417?s=19

Looks like it was as far back as 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

How in the name of all that's holy is this not a way bigger issue in the States???

Has Trump completely neutered the Republican party? This should be an impeachable act, yet there's barely a whimper about it. The Republican's obsession with the military, their ever increasing military budgets and this is barely getting a mention? I am more flabbergasted than ever.

The WH response has been farcical, no mention of what they would do if the intel was credible, just sticking their fingers in their ears and going NA NA NA. Brutal.

If the American people stand for this it's all over in the States. Not just now, but imagine what someone smarter than Trump, but with similarly lacking in oral standards could do if in office.

All the talk of the separation of powers, etc. One buffoon can almost bring the country to it's knees in four years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement