Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foundation (Apple) [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Verrrrry complex subject matter, we'll see how this turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I had such high hopes for this show and then David Goyer appeared :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bnt wrote: »
    argh shut up an show us the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never read the original work so no idea how that trailer's tone stacks against the novel(s). David Goyer gives pause but hard to deny how cinematic that all looks. Big swing from Apple, while Goyer's waxing poetic about them in that first video was super nauseating.

Wonder how Apple+ is doing; a splashy SciFi opera will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jared Harris starring that will do me I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Jared Harris starring that will do me I'm in.

Never boring to watch, thats for sure. He also had a teeny tiny role in the excellent The Expanse :cool:

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Never read the original work so no idea how that trailer's tone stacks against the novel(s). David Goyer gives pause but hard to deny how cinematic that all looks. Big swing from Apple, while Goyer's waxing poetic about them in that first video was super nauseating.

Thing is, the original books didn't really have a tone, compared to (say) Tolkien or GRR Martin. In his early books, Asimov, like Clarke, wasn't one for detailed "world-building" and would leave many details to the imagination. After Asimov signed a contract for a new Foundation novel in 1981, he had to go back and re-read the originals:
    I hadn't read the Trilogy in thirty years and while I remembered the general plot, I did not remember the details. Besides, before beginning a new Foundation novel I had to immerse myself in the style and atmosphere of the series.

I read it with mounting uneasiness. I kept waiting for something to happen, and nothing ever did. All three volumes, all the nearly quarter of a million words, consisted of thoughts and of conversations. No action. No physical suspense.

What was all the fuss about, then? Why did everyone want more of that stuff? – To be sure, I couldn't help but notice that I was turning the pages eagerly, and that I was upset when I finished the book, and that I wanted more, but I was the author, for goodness' sake. You couldn't go by me.

I was on the edge of deciding it was all a terrible mistake and of insisting on giving back the money, when (quite by accident, I swear) I came across some sentences by science-fiction writer and critic, James Gunn, who, in connection with the Foundation series, said, "Action and romance have little to do with the success of the Trilogy – virtually all the action takes place offstage, and the romance is almost invisible – but the stories provide a detective-story fascination with the permutations and reversals of ideas."
    His later Foundation prequel novels went some way towards correcting this e.g. the city of Trantor was the modal for Coruscant in the Star Wars saga, but we don't get any details about it in the original books, other than that it covered an entire planet.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Niska wrote: »

Is that the Long Room in Trinity College at 0:14?

Looks like they're adapting the prelude books rather than the original trilogy.:mad:

Judge wrote: »
    Is that the Long Room in Trinity College at 0:14?

Looks like they're adapting the prelude books rather than the original trilogy.:mad:

The series is filmed in Limerick so it well could be.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

pixelburp wrote: »

Very hard to tell for certain with no figures. I wager a very large portion of viewers are on that one year free trial, seemingly a large chunk of people with the entitlement haven’t even taken it up.

I’m enjoying (on such a free trial) the Morning Show, but haven’t watched anything else. Aside from Fraggle Rock, they have no bought in shows and are in dire need of a back catalogue to attract subscribers.

The series is filmed in Limerick so it well could be.

Wasn't some parts of Nightflyers made down there? Some kinda scifi studio been set up?

Slydice wrote: »
    Wasn't some parts of Nightflyers made down there? Some kinda scifi studio been set up?

Yes the same studio.

Virtual tour on there website

http://troystudios.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I read the books a lifetime ago. I don't remember any lasting impression other than being long winded and long. I've re-read loads of book series again but I've never felt the urge to go back and read the foundation books. I expect I can't face how long it was.

TV shows have been getting better. So this is probably going to be decent?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

icdg wrote: »
    Very hard to tell for certain with no figures. I wager a very large portion of viewers are on that one year free trial, seemingly a large chunk of people with the entitlement haven’t even taken it up.

I’m enjoying (on such a free trial) the Morning Show, but haven’t watched anything else. Aside from Fraggle Rock, they have no bought in shows and are in dire need of a back catalogue to attract subscribers.

Disney+ probably threw a very big spanner in the works. The big two effectively became the big three overnight and as you say, without a back catalogue of content, or bedrock of experience in the medium, I'd wonder how long Apple might commit to its own programming long term.

Foundation looks good so far, very slick and cinematic but that AppleTV branding makes it look a little lost.

Yes the same studio.

Virtual tour on there website

http://troystudios.ie/

Nice! Looks impressive.. not that I've a lot of understanding of what to compare against. Big solid rooms like that with the big black walls look like they could be used to do mandalorian style work if they had the technology to go with it. Might be protected by Disney/Lucasarts though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Any news on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Any news on this?

Apple TV+ has revealed that their adaptation of Foundation, Isaac Asimov’s classic sci-fi novels, which stars Jared Harris will release in autumn 2021.

Starts September 24th. There will be 10 episodes.

Jared really sounds like his dad in this trailer.

Looks stunning.

That looks absolutely, f*cking spectacular. Properly, legitimately "epic" space opera with wild visions, ideas and settings.

Which probably means it's either going to suck, or be watched by nobody :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can only repeat my previous thoughts that it looks pretty spectacular; unless that was all from the first episode and the rest is in one quarry 😁 24th September release, so not long to go.

Any Asimov fans know how accurate this looks against the original novels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Hard to tell. I thought the trailer for A Brave New World looked great, and that turned out to be pants. It looks decent, but nothing what I imagined from the book.

The only sci-fi book I'm waiting on now for one of the streaming giants to give a bash is The Hyperion Cantos.

All the ingredients look in place.. but they are just trailers so let's see how they baked the cake

In the original serials that became the first book, Asimov gave very little in the way of visual cues. Trantor is described as completely covered with buildings, with more of it dug down than built up. You can see some of this in some parts of the trailer, such as the circular trenches around the circular building at 0:37, which I believe is the transit centre at the base of the Space Elevator that Gall Dornik travels down on. The only greenery is the palace grounds seen at 0:50, 100 square miles in size, the only area on the planet not built over.

The later prequel Prelude To Foundation goes in to much more detail about other parts of Trantor, set years earlier when Hari Seldon was much younger, but I don't know whether the series draws on that at all. In the trailers I've seen so far I've seen nothing to contradict Asimov's thin descriptions of places: detailed "world building" like e.g. Tolkien wasn't his thing in his early books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

First 2 episodes out this Friday!

• Advertisement

Very much looking forward to this.

Advertisement