Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It’s the truth . Anyway, what would the wurkin class and the class warriors know about “classy”

You stay classy , brah

I've more class than to lump monkey and foreigner in together the way you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Reading the Pope's children here after going through this thread. Indulgence and arrogance is a horrible mix and seems there was plenty of it during the celtic tiger. We were like the teenager from a strict family who goes on the tear once they get a bit of freedom *

Not a Dave McWilliam's analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have seen a few teslas & Toyota hybrid jeeps going around south Dublin even in the times that we live in now when we are still battling Covid. I don't think a good lot of Irish people have really learned their lessons this time round regarding how to have money saved for a rainy day when you really really needed it. I would still think that the large remnants of greed are still alive & well in this country with people being more arrogant for having it on them while not knowing the consequences of losing more of it later on when **** hits the fan once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There is and will always be people who can't manage money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is and will always be people who can't manage money.....

The real problem was not people not managing money, it was their behaviour when they had it. They were far too ostentatious, lacking discretion and vulgar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

The real problem was not people not managing money, it was their behaviour when they had it. They were far too ostentatious, lacking discretion and vulgar.

No matter how much money people have you can't buy class.

The only real surprise in hindsight was that it lasted as long as it did

talla10 wrote: »
    No matter how much money people have you can't buy class.

They did buy class. Kids sent walking up and down the housing in the private school uniforms to make sure the neighbours knew where they were going to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

They did buy class. Kids sent walking up and down the housing in the private school uniforms to make sure the neighbours knew where they were going to school.

Is that your understanding of class? The thing about class and wealth is classy people don't show their wealth.

Is that your understanding of class? The thing about class and wealth is classy people don't show their wealth.

I didn't say it was my understanding, I am saying that is what I saw during the CT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sweet jesus, take your class warfare to another thread. This was great reading before that rubbish started.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Il try and bring the thread back on track.

I tipped around as a laborer on the building sites during the boom. Every summer I would spend a few months sweeping here, tidying there, tending to the brickies. The money was ridiculous. The couple of months that I spent on the sites would pay for the rest of my year in college. The fact that I was hired told you that they were stuck for anyone to work on the sites. I knew lads who would come in with half the day already gone stinking of drink and not get fired because there was no one to replace them. There were a few sad stories too, I knew of one lad who would spend most of his cheque on the horses down in the bookies.

The most ridiculous Celtic Tiger thing was when our company messed up the calculation of our overtime. For about two months, instead of getting paid time-and-a-half for the first few hours of overtime, we were getting paid double-time (2x pay). It was the same for double time. I couldnt get a lift home in the evenings until late, so I used to have a nice quiet time holding a brush walking around the site after everyone else had gone home. Needless to say this all changed when everyone started working overtime and coming in on Saturdays too.

This kept going until this stupid eejit in our group complained that he didnt get paid for an hour of overtime that he had worked. He whined to all of us, but when we wouldnt give him the time of day he decided to bring it up with the boss. He showed him the pay check. The boss asked him why he was getting double time when it was supposed to be time and a half. He said "sure everyone is getting that". :mad:
    We were ragin at him after that, nearly as much as the boss was to the wife who did the accounts. He had to leave the site after a week or so from the threats.

The fact that the subcontractor could afford them wages and not even notice showed you how much money was in that industry at that time.

This kept going until this stupid eejit in our group complained that he didnt get paid for an hour of overtime that he had worked. He whined to all of us, but when we wouldnt give him the time of day he decided to bring it up with the boss. He showed him the pay check. The boss asked him why he was getting double time when it was supposed to be time and a half. He said "sure everyone is getting that". :mad:
    We were ragin at him after that, nearly as much as the boss was to the wife who did the accounts. He had to leave the site after a week or so from the threats.

The fact that the subcontractor could afford them wages and not even notice showed you how much money was in that industry at that time.

Why didn't ye all chip in 50c and shut the gob****e up? You were the bigger eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I think we should be as wary of outlandish examples of excess privilege as we normally are of the social-welfare-bashing threads.

Right on dude. Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Randy Archer do not post in this thread again.

Rest of you back on topic, any of the class nonsense and further sanctions will be forthcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He's been succeeding in failure for a long time now, he wrote a Eurovision song that came last, he was an unsuccessful Independent candidate, he refused to use email when it came out (what a pro), he supported the invasion of Iraq in the belief that there were weapons of mass destruction, opposed gay marriage, claimed there's no such thing as depression, blamed catholic clerical child abuse on gay people and was imprisoned because he didn't pay a parking fine because he felt he'd returned to his car only shortly after the grace period. :confused:

And people still employ him.

Thats not quite true. He questioned if some people were saying they were depressed when they were sad.
    I listened to a great interview on Eamon Dunphy's The Stand. Very interesting.
    And you get to see how he went bananas.
    And then a few months after that interview he was on with Eamon again and lost his mind and ran out, gas stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The Celtic Tiger for me - yummy mummies in SUVs, those in Range Rovers thinking they were superior, anyone working in construction laughing at those who didn't and saying they earned more, decking, getting on the property ladder, moving from a semi d to a detached, people dressed head to toe in designer clothes with matching sunglasses, you were told it was Farrow and Ball paint, Denby crockery became essential for many, jet skis, quad bikes, shopping trips to New York, obscure Irish names and double-barrelled surnames became popular, people proudly stating they were middle class, many suddenly became avid rugby fans, getting someone in to clean your house and making sure everyone knew, Mc mansions sprung up everywhere and pubs, clubs and restaurants were packed.

Why didn't ye all chip in 50c and shut the gob****e up? You were the bigger eejits.

We didn't think he was stupid enough to bring it up with the boss. Saying that, even if we did, the lads (myself included) wouldn't have given him a penny. It would have been easier for everyone involved to threaten him not to go to the boss in the first place. That way he wouldnt have to leave his job afterwards too.

We didn't think he was stupid enough to bring it up with the boss. Saying that, even if he did, the lads (myself included) wouldn't have given him .

So you read him wrong. Fat lot of good it did chasing him off site after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Mate of mine was manager of a large Super Valu in Dublin at the time. Met him in the local one evening and he told me he had quit because he was earning twice as much labouring for a few plasterers.

Don't know if this is a reflection of construction at the time or SuperValu being sh**e payers.

Mate of mine was manager of a large Super Valu in Dublin at the time. Met him in the local one evening and he told me he had quit because he was earning twice as much labouring for a few plasterers.

Don't know if this is a reflection of construction at the time or SuperValu being sh**e payers.

My father has a business and on the odd occasion would cash cheques for one or two labourers we would have known at the time if they were stuck. Some of the cheques were 1,200e and more. Needless to say those lads never saved a penny of it and, unfortunately, I see one of them is now a heroin addict roaming the streets. Very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I used to work as a bar manager in a golf club/hotel back around 2002 - 2004. We used to have several ahem.....big shots..... in staying the night.

One particularly famous one (now deceased) had a habit of getting drunk in the residents bar and asking everyone out to the putting green (adjacent to the hotel) to join him for champagne and sandwiches/breakfast baps (at about 3am or 4am) and the night porter would have to set up a table with champagne etc. outside on the putting green and then go make sandwiches/breakfast baps. A bottle of champagne was €85 and they could go through between 5 - 30 of them, depending on the size of the group. All added to his bill.

He really was a pain in the hole and the staff didn't like him but he spent a right few bob so management were willing to put up with his sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Thinking back I was a little pr1ck during the celtic tiger, all the clothes my mother bought me had to be designer as I wanted to be seen at school.

I wondered why we only had a 4 year old car.

Then a life threatening event happened after the bust. Now I own next to nothing, clothes all out of penny's.

Couldn't give a toss about anything materialistic anymore. I try to pay my mother 'reperations' almost to make up for the snob I was.

Really embarrassed at how I acted even to this day

Thinking back I was a little pr1ck during the celtic tiger, all the clothes my mother bought me had to be designer as I wanted to be seen at school.

I wondered why we only had a 4 year old car.

Then a life threatening event happened after the bust. Now I own next to nothing, clothes all out of penny's.

Couldn't give a toss about anything materialistic anymore. I try to pay my mother 'reperations' almost to make up for the snob I was.

Really embarrassed at how I acted even to this day

That's all normal enough for a teen conforming to peer pressure, it was different for people doing it from 25-50+ when they should have had a better sense of themselves.

That's all normal enough for a teen conforming to peer pressure, it was different for people doing it from 25-50+ when they should have had a better sense of themselves.

When I was a teen (not today or yesterday) I wanted a pair of New Balance football boots because they looked cool. They were £28 and I was told they were too dear. Awful upset I was. Never got them. Need counselling now because of it. :pac:

My missus told me yesterday that her friend bought a pair of Yeezy runners for her young wan at the weekend. Fcukin ugly yokes and €350 for the pair, a bargain apparently. :eek::eek::eek:

Times have certainly changed.

So you read him wrong. Fat lot of good it did chasing him off site after the event.
    Anyones head would be melted trying to read this lad. Even though you sound like the exception, its easy to be a Captain Hindsight in a thread about the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I worked as a waiter in a restaurant in Waterford in 2006. I got paid €500 a week, cash. Many weeks my boss would pay me a single €500 note. It was awesome.

Tips were around €250 a week, as I recall. Customers wouldn't think twice about leaving a €20 note on the table.

Happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BattleCorp wrote: »
    When I was a teen (not today or yesterday) I wanted a pair of New Balance football boots because they looked cool. They were £28 and I was told they were too dear. Awful upset I was. Never got them. Need counselling now because of it. :pac:

My missus told me yesterday that her friend bought a pair of Yeezy runners for her young wan at the weekend. Fcukin ugly yokes and €350 for the pair, a bargain apparently. :eek::eek::eek:

Times have certainly changed.

Fruugo.ie has them for €699. I know it's optional to buy them but are they mad?

https://www.fruugo.ie/adidas-yeezy-boost-700-wave-runner-b75571-shoes/p-24554457-53245002?language=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Thanks but I still cringe at myself, I once told my mum her salary wasn't good enough. What a d1ckhead I was.

Making up for it now though so alls good

• Advertisement

Thanks but I still cringe at myself, I once told my mum her salary wasn't good enough. What a d1ckhead I was.

Making up for it now though so alls good
    If you weren't a dickhead as a teenager you weren't doing it right!

Advertisement