Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

I’ve heard the word before but I’d probably have had to look it up if I’d wanted to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Hmm I'll have to ask him is it really worthwhile

And yeah it took 12 years of hard saving. Buying the cheapest of everything, doing it the hard way scrimping and saving. Not following the herd. Dressing modestly. I could go on and on but it's off topic

Fair play, wish I had done that myself!
    Just to back up PhilOssophy, whatever your mate does in banking, it ain't in giving good consumer advice. They check the register to see if you've been UNABLE to pay back a loan in the last 5 years. Being able to manage your finances without debt & build up savings is categorically the best way to prove you're able to repay a loan/mortgage.

However dont take either of our word for it, genuinely contact the banks mortgage department & ask, they wont tell you to take out a loan you don't need.

Yeah that is it, they will only raise an issue if you have missed a payment. If OP were really worried, I'd talk to a mortgage broker but I know I and my circle of friends, none of which would be borrowers for small things, and not 1 of us had any problem getting a mortgage. Family experience the same. No borrowers, no problem.

Anyway, this thread is about money waste so we are probably digressing! We'll let the thread get back to the real juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That kettle would go really well with my Paul Costello wooden board

I think we should be as wary of outlandish examples of excess privilege as we normally are of the social-welfare-bashing threads.

HAVING SAID THAT, there were two brothers in UCD who lived in a nearby Dublin suburb, whose mother saved up their children's allowance to provide them with a 'party house' in Merville (onsite accommodation) for their college years. I went there just once, and they were exactly the kind of arseholes that you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That kettle would go really well with my Paul Costello wooden board

Hah yeah remember those

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/05/24/how-much-133/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Had to look this up, they are still mad money!!
    I worked in a DIY chain store around 2000 to 2004,i remember these bins and thinking who the **** pays that much for a rubbish bin.

We sold loads of them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PUDA6OC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_F2f-EbKM5YB9A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

You'll have to excuse my peasant ignorance but WTF does the Paul costello wooden board do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

You'll have to excuse my peasant ignorance but WTF does the Paul costello wooden board do?

What doesn't it do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you can use it as a surfboard and ironing board.

What doesn't it do

pgj2015 wrote:
    you can use it as a surfboard and ironing board.

Ah sure I'll get one anyway. Just in case one of the neighbours calls around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Harvey Norman this week!!

I actually really like that.

Ah sure I'll get one anyway. Just in case one of the neighbours calls around.

Yeah, that'll impress them for sure. You don't want to look like some working class peasant with an ordinary chopping board like.....

Yeah, that'll impress them for sure. You don't want to look like some working class peasant with an ordinary chopping board like.....

That reminds me, i better get rid of the aldi carrier bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Whenever I hear the words Celtic Tiger. The one thing that flashes straight away through my mind is - tossers who bought jet skis!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Whenever I hear the words Celtic Tiger. The one thing that flashes straight away through my mind is - tossers who bought jet skis!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

One more.

People queuing for days to buy a new house in Navan in the early 2000's. Some of the houses being built then used cavity block construction so they were freezing cold and a bugger to retrofit insulation too.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I was plastering during the Celtic tiger years, the money was mental, i remember talking to other tradesmen and agreeing that it could never last, strange how the pricks at the top hadn't a clue and the normal joe soap knew it couldn't last

On the plus side the money was hugely rewarding for doing a shìt job like plastering

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Fianna Fail riding the country bareback.Bertie wanting a big **** off stadium in his name.Tribunals.Half the working class pop. worked in either construction or a local factory and were on great money,if you actually had a white collar job you were insufferable with notions.The popularity of Peter Marks.The staple going out outfit of a snazzy sequin top and jeans for women and the lacoste/tommy hilfiger t-shirt for men.The faux outrage over the wes discos and the subsequent d4 stereotype.Brown Thomas.Liam Lawlor dead in a car crash with a "prostitute" who turned out to be an interpreter.The Sunday News of the World exposees that I actually still miss.Red Toyota Celicas.The menswear shops booming with business.Vodka and redbull.
    I remember one of my teachers casually announcing Bertie Ahern had resigned one day in school...little did we know in our youth the arse was about to fall out of the economy.

I think as a collective nation we don't do "wealth" well.Many a good marriage was probably squandered too because a husband/wife wanted to drown in drink and affairs at the weekend.As for the ultra wealthy like the O'Donnells in Gorse Lodge..they burned their arse in the Celtic Tiger and have to sit on the blisters today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fianna Fail riding the country bareback.Bertie wanting a big **** off stadium in his name.Tribunals.Half the working class pop. worked in either construction or a local factory and were on great money,if you actually had a white collar job you were insufferable with notions.The popularity of Peter Marks.The staple going out outfit of a snazzy sequin top and jeans for women and the lacoste/tommy hilfiger t-shirt for men.The faux outrage over the wes discos and the subsequent d4 stereotype.Brown Thomas.Liam Lawlor dead in a car crash with a "prostitute" who turned out to be an interpreter.The Sunday News of the World exposees that I actually still miss.Red Toyota Celicas.The menswear shops booming with business.Vodka and redbull.
    I remember one of my teachers casually announcing Bertie Ahern had resigned one day in school...little did we know in our youth the arse was about to fall out of the economy.

I think as a collective nation we don't do "wealth" well.Many a good marriage was probably squandered too because a husband/wife wanted to drown in drink and affairs at the weekend.As for the ultra wealthy like the O'Donnells in Gorse Lodge..they burned their arse in the Celtic Tiger and have to sit on the blisters today.

Bertie Aherne’s biggest fúck you to the people and most insulting thing he’s ever done is say that not building the Bertie Bowl is his biggest regret of his time in office. Meanwhile lads were driving their cars into rivers as a way out of their debt. How he got away with that is beyond me.

Lets not get too deep on the blame, etc. I have no time for Bertie either but its for another thread, the thread is a bit of craic about the insanity of an era most of us hope is never revisited in all honesty.
    Keep it light-hearted. It has been 42 pages of hilarious stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

White collar had notions ?

More like the “working class” riff raff and their notions of demanding huge wages for jobs a monkey or a foreigner could do . Plenty of so called working class had notions of big tacky houses and weddings and a couple of tacky classless holidays to Spain along the English . Larger larger larger . They didn’t have a pot to piss in and zero savings

Oh we laughed even then, listening to thick as **** gob****es boasting about good money now and how school n college was a waste .fast as forward a few years

Spare us the class warfare rubbish , we have nothing like the working class - middle class divide that the Brits have

Lets not get too deep on the blame, etc. I have no time for Bertie either but its for another thread, the thread is a bit of craic about the insanity of an era most of us hope is never revisited in all honesty. Keep it light-hearted. It has been 42 pages of hilarious stuff.

Agree. It's one of the most enjoyable threads I have read in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Harvey Norman this week!!

Designer stuff is expensive. Recession or mid-bubble. What’s the point of posting this in a thread about the early 2000s??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

More like the “working class” riff raff and their notions of demanding huge wages for jobs a monkey or a foreigner could do

Classy. :rolleyes:

Another thing I remember from that era was the two pillars built outside the front door of people's terraced houses and the horses on the pillars of the front garden walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Another thing I remember from that era was the two pillars built outside the front door of people's terraced houses and the horses on the pillars of the front garden walls.

Travellers?

Travellers?

No.

A few people were doing it on the road I lived on at the time that were not part of that community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Agree, shocked enough at seeing a lot of people put themselves into insane levels of personal debt the last few years. I don't think we have learned the lessons properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Classy. :rolleyes:

It’s the truth . Anyway, what would the wurkin class and the class warriors know about “classy”

You stay classy , brah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lets not get too deep on the blame, etc. I have no time for Bertie either but its for another thread, the thread is a bit of craic about the insanity of an era most of us hope is never revisited in all honesty.
    Keep it light-hearted. It has been 42 pages of hilarious stuff.

Fair point.

Advertisement