Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

John_Rambo wrote: »
    So true, excellent observation. I've said it before, I reckon Gerry Ryan's death was a wake up call for a lot of men in his situation and in his bad state of health.

It was always strange seeing him doing the Operation Translation weigh ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Ginger83

McGaggs wrote: »
    Capped at E254 a month.

per account ;)

Went on a date to a well known cafe bar with notions in Dublin in 2005 and went to the jacks only to find a socialite who has since dropped off the face of the earth - double barrel surname, first name rhymes with Wavin and second name like a young sheep - snorting the devil's dandruff off the toilet bowl. It was a wet Tuesday night, door wasn't locked and he wasn't even doing it off the cistern or the toilet roll holder. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Went on a date to a well known cafe bar with notions in Dublin in 2005 and went to the jacks only to find a socialite who has since dropped off the face of the earth - double barrel surname, first name rhymes with Wavin and second name like a young sheep - snorting the devil's dandruff off the toilet bowl. It was a wet Tuesday night, door wasn't locked and he wasn't even doing it off the cistern or the toilet roll holder. Yuck.

Going by my googling skills he doesn’t hide it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Even wrote a book about it. Think he's living in Spain these days.

https://www.independent.ie/life/a-tigers-tale-party-boy-gavin-lambe-murphy-on-penning-tell-all-book-of-cocaine-fueled-party-years-34377853.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I never heard of him (before my Google search!) but why the begrudgery? We all did stupid things when we were young. He learned from it. Good on him for turning his life around, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This was posted an hour ago and is now sold out(40kg) so we are definitely back

https://twitter.com/higginsbutchers/status/1276868851158974464

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

RasTa wrote: »
    This was posted an hour ago and is now sold out(40kg) so we are definitely back

https://twitter.com/higginsbutchers/status/1276868851158974464

Lord above...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

To make it even worse, wagyu is not even vaguely worth it. Conspicuous consumption as I'd bet every one of those steaks will be photographed extensively for social media between cooking and eating.

L1011 wrote: »
    To make it even worse, wagyu is not even vaguely worth it. Conspicuous consumption as I'd bet every one of those steaks will be photographed extensively for social media between cooking and eating.

Precisely

Just my opinion, but I think the boom is back for upper-middle classes. I'm seeing a lot of shiny new cars, including electric ones even teslas in Dublin with charging stations at their house.

I think people are seeing their property values increase and are feeling richer. Definitely more lending too I know a guy at work more senior than me got a loan to get his kitchen redone. And my bank and avant card are pushing loans on me hard, which I will probably acquire as I'm looking for a mortgage in the next year and want to leave a trail of good credit history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A 6th class went to Paris in my town in 2005 for a few days!

And my bank and avant card are pushing loans on me hard, which I will probably acquire as I'm looking for a mortgage in the next year and want to leave a trail of good credit history

Don't believe that bs about a good credit history! This isn't the states - banks care about how much you are earning, how much of a deposit you have, how safe your job is and how much you are saving each month.

Don't take out any loan on the above belief, even if the banks tell you its not true!

Don't believe that bs about a good credit history! This isn't the states - banks care about how much you are earning, how much of a deposit you have, how safe your job is and how much you are saving each month.

Don't take out any loan on the above belief, even if the banks tell you its not true!

My mate works in banking (so do I but in back office) , they check the central credit registrar to see if you were able to pay back a loan in the last 5 years. I'm aware we don't have credit scores like in the state or UK. But that's what he told me and he's pretty experienced. We're hoping to have the guts of the price of a house anyway so it'll only be a relatively tiny mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

L1011 wrote: »

I’d rather an Irish lamb chop out of Aldi than any of that other sh1te

My mate works in banking (so do I but in back office) , they check the central credit registrar to see if you were able to pay back a loan in the last 5 years. I'm aware we don't have credit scores like in the state or UK. But that's what he told me and he's pretty experienced. We're hoping to have the guts of the price of a house anyway so it'll only be a relatively tiny mortgage

Yeah but the won't turn you down if you haven't had a loan in the last 5 years either! Save your interest if you can at all!
    Tiny mortgage = the dream scenario! Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Harvey Norman this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If you have to pay for that per fortnight, you definitely shouldn't be buying it.

Oh dear lord christ all fúcking mighty in all that is holy

Yeah but the won't turn you down if you haven't had a loan in the last 5 years either! Save your interest if you can at all!
    Tiny mortgage = the dream scenario! Fair play.

Hmm I'll have to ask him is it really worthwhile

And yeah it took 12 years of hard saving. Buying the cheapest of everything, doing it the hard way scrimping and saving. Not following the herd. Dressing modestly. I could go on and on but it's off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I'll take 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Got a flyer through the post during the week. I see €5,000 odd tv's are a thing again. Probably a few spas buying them on credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I love this thread.

My brother is a farrier, The lad who comes and puts shoes on yer horse.

He was at a yard up north and the owner asked him to do a horse at his other land but my brother knew that was a hour away and he needed to get home to the kids, so he said Its a bit of a drive it's late I'll do it tomorrow as its an hour in the wrong direction for getting home.

Yer man says no problem we'll take the chopper. My brother was worried about the weight of the kit as its quite heavy but yer man was like its ok this thing can hold 8 people.

So he loaded all the kit into the chopper and it took 10 mins and landed in the field rounded up the horse and got some new shoes for it and he was back to the van in 30 mins and on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Tempting but I only use the existing kettle a couple of times a month at most so couldn’t justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Just to back up PhilOssophy, whatever your mate does in banking, it ain't in giving good consumer advice. They check the register to see if you've been UNABLE to pay back a loan in the last 5 years. Being able to manage your finances without debt & build up savings is categorically the best way to prove you're able to repay a loan/mortgage.

However dont take either of our word for it, genuinely contact the banks mortgage department & ask, they wont tell you to take out a loan you don't need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The absolute hack of that kettle. I wouldn't even let the thing be visible in my skip.

I'd love to know if they have sold any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Smeg, indeed.

I never heard of him (before my Google search!) but why the begrudgery? We all did stupid things when we were young. He learned from it. Good on him for turning his life around, no?

Not sure I see too much begrudgery in any of the posts there but I suppose he got famous for doing nothing other than partying a lot after inheriting loads of money and is now in his 40s and has never had a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

If you pay 500 for a kettle then you really have nothing else to worry about. Smeg is such a terrible name isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thank goodness you explained to us simple minded gombeens what a farrier is.we would never have known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Thank goodness you explained to us simple minded gombeens what a farrier is.we would never have known.

Thank goodness he has, some of us (me) are not native speakers of the English language and appreciate a quick explanation of a word they have never seen or used before.

Advertisement