Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miroku

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Just a thought-do you need a separate ammo safe as well as a gun safe.Saw something about new EU regulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Just a thought-do you need a separate ammo safe as well as a gun safe.Saw something about new EU regulations

I bought a small safe out of woodies or somewhere, less than 50 sheets, its as good as you need unless you are storing cartridges by the ten thousand.

Now that sound like a good idea

Well guys it looks like the MK38 sporting for me then as Miroku dont do left handed in this part of the world.
    Dismissed the trap version as its fixed chokes
    I can always get a left hand stock made if I need
    Os course I could be using totally absurd logic here

Have you considered the Benelli 828u ? The stock bolts up to the back of the action like a semi-auto. You can adjust for fit with shims.

Cheers tudderone
    Will take a look

Took a look.
    TGS review showed some problems like the trigger mechanism falling out etc-not so good
    Nice looking gun but pretty pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Hi OP, why Miroku if I may ask? Miroku are Browning really. Miroku actually make all of Brownings guns in Japan for Browning and then some of the higher grade Brownings are sent to Browning in Belgium for hand finishing but a new 525 Sporter One is essentially a new MK38. Both newer models are multichoke. Browning comes in a case and the Miroku comes in a cardboard box. Miroku are beautiful guns as are Browning, but functionality wise they are the same really.

As you move up the models of Browning you will find a comparable Miroku model. You will find it much much easier to find and buy a new Browning in the South compared to a Miroku. You may even have to import a Miroku because I dont really know any Miroku dealers. My club is in Leinster and Ardee Sports Company is where I buy alot of my guns/kit. They are a Browning stockist but they dont sell Miroku.

I bought a new 525 Sporter One this year from Ardee and I have the brochure in the house. In the Browning brochure there is a 2 page section for Miroku. Further shows just how in bed Browning are with Miroku. Outside of the name, you are buying the same guns.

One thing I do like about Miroku is they do a Teague Choke version and their guns are marginally cheaper than Browning.

• Advertisement

Hi ZiabR
    Yep I agree with all you are saying
    I just fancy the Miroku over the Browning and yes they are a bit cheaper
    The case is not really a problem as I will probably bye a gun slip to carry it plus there is something honest about a cardboard box :)
    A matter of personal taste I spose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I have a 525 about 15/16 years. Shoots well for me and I do a bit I’ve everything. The only thing is with the 525/Miroku the pins will need replacing sooner or later, aside from that the actions are bombproof.
    As for the difference between browning and miroku .. well they’re both Miroku. Browning is only a brand name,the Belgian guns are a bit different In design. There is also a browning fishing brand and that stuff is not very good at all.

Browning also own, or did own, Winchester. They were assembling rifles in Portugal and they weren't brilliant. The Browning O/U is a time proven design, apart from messing around with the styling, its basically the same gun for 100 years.

Good news is I have got a price for a MK38 sportser.Down size is the deposit is a bit high as its an import.The end is in sight once all goes well with the permit :)

Good news is I have got a price for a MK38 sportser.Down size is the deposit is a bit high as its an import.The end is in sight once all goes well with the permit :)

Very nice Paul. New or second hand? Multi choke or fixed?

New and multichoked :)

• Advertisement

Have to say reading the post about license that Cass replied to put the fear of God in me.An awful lot of paperwork:)

How much ?
    Just out of nosiness ..

How much ?
    Just out of nosiness ..

From memory they are about 1600-1700 sterling new. So about 1800-1900 euro before import fees I reckon.

Not bad
    Pity about import fees

Under €1900 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Under €1900 :)

Thats not bad Paul. Are you getting a left hand one?

They dont do left hand in Europe :(

Thats lunacy, discrimination to 10% of the population. Really surprised to hear that.

Australia and NZ they do loads of different models and left handed as well

Maybe Browning insist they only do right handed:)

It's not a huge problem to have the top leaver the "wrong" way once the stock fits.

So push with left thumb rather than pull with right :)

Sorry is it the other way around

Sorry is it the other way around

Yes, it goes from centre to right normally.

It's not difficult to use your left hand, it just needs a slight repositioning of the hand position which isn't required for a right hand user.

Im sure its no problem:)

• Advertisement

Just waiting for gun serial number.Everything else is (I hope) in place :)

Just waiting for gun serial number.Everything else is (I hope) in place :)

Do you still intend to get work done on the stock?

Will see how the stock it comes with works out.New stock is always an option tho :)

Will see how the stock it comes with works out.New stock is always an option tho :)

Enjoy, and best of luck with it. Come up to Hilltop some Weds evening and put it through its paces.

Rosahane wrote: »
    Enjoy, and best of luck with it. Come up to Hilltop some Weds evening and put it through its paces.

How much is Pat charging for a round of clays ?

tudderone wrote: »
    How much is Pat charging for a round of clays ?

I honestly can't remember since it's so long since I've been able to go up. Maybe around €17 for the compact with two boxes of cartridges ???

Members rate is very reasonable - there was a thread about it here a year or so ago and I think Hilltop was the best value with cartridges included.

Hi all
    Some practical questions on cleaning and storage
    Is WD40 good for cleaning the bores as its less aggressive than some solvents
    Do you store the gun dis assembled in the safe
    If assembled is it best to store it barrel down
    Any thoughts from you experienced chaps :)

Hi all

The only thing i have ever found wd40 good for, is machining aluminium. After that i find it useless. Buy a proper bore solvent.

Fair enough

• Advertisement

Fair enough

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as snippy, try something like this ;

https://www.sportsden.ie/milfoam-forrest-bore-cleaning-foam.html

Hi all

I wouldn't use WD40 as it's not a lubricant and attracts dust. Better to get a dedicated firearms cleaner. I like the CLP (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects) types such as Breakfree CLP, MPro7 or Brunox.

Important not to touch the metal parts of the gun after cleaning as the acid in your fingers can cause a rust mark - hold with a cloth when putting away.

Use a smear of decent grease on the hinge pins.

After use I run a bore snake through the barrels and wipe over with a mildly oily rag as I put the gun in the case. I usually do a full clean later and definitely before storing for a period.

The reason for storing barrel down is to stop excess oil seeping into the woodwork. Don't leave excess oil on the gun!

Lastly, it's probably better to store the gun in its case as safes have a nasty habit of hitting nice wooden stocks and marking them ;)

Thats OK snippy :)
    Miroku come in a cardboard box so looks like assembled then:):)

Oh and any thoughts on snap caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Oh and any thoughts on snap caps

Store it assembled, and load with snap caps and fire both barrels before you put it away. I don’t know of the top of my head if a Miroku or Browning needs recoil before you can fire the second barrel but if it does give the back of the stock a slap while you hold the gun.

As for storing a gun pointing downwards make sure that there’s nothing on the bottom of your safe that retains moisture because that’s guaranteed corrosion.

Thats OK snippy :)
    Miroku come in a cardboard box so looks like assembled then:):)

You can get aftermarket cases ranging from plastic ones with eggbox foam through aluminium with cut out foam to nice ones like this:https://fineshootingaccessories.com/product/leather-shotgun-case/

• Advertisement

Be sure and post a few pics of this Miroku when you get it .

Will do

Good grief that case costs as much as the gun:(

Couple of answers for you Paul:

1) Buy a proper Bore/Barrel cleaner, oil based nitro solvent is good. You need a good bore cleaner to remove gun powder, plastic etc from the bore after EVERY shoot.
    2) Buy a good gun oil, liquid or spray is fine but i have a little zip bag with a soaked oil rag that I wipe the gun down with after cleaning.
    3) Buy a good gun grease, this is very important. After each clean and before you store the gun, put the grease onto all of the moving parts and parts where metal rubs metal, like the hing pin, ejectors etc.
    4) Optional to buy a walnut oil for treating the stock and fore-end. I use this when the wood gets wet.
    5) Dont forget to clean the chokes and use a good choke grease when inserting them back into your barrels. You will be fine with 1/4 and 1/2 for 99% of all clay shoots.
    6) Buy a barrel cleaning kit, with sticks etc. You need to run these through your barrels with the barrel cleaner, and then push kitchen roll through after to remove the gunk.
    7) Store the gun assembled when cleaned in the gun safe with the recoil pad on the ground.
    8) Snap caps are optional on today firearms, (i use them) but DONT buy the plastic crappy ones. Leave them in the gun when it is stored away.
    9) Buy a decent Skeet Vest.
    10) Buy a gun slip for transportation and make sure you have a trigger guard on the gun at all times when it is not in use. You will also need a lockable box separate to the gun for your cartridges. (ONLY during transportation of cartridges)

You have been given the trust to own and use a firearm, best to do things right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

I don’t know of the top of my head if a Miroku or Browning needs recoil before you can fire the second barrel but if it does give the back of the stock a slap while you hold the gun.

Alternatively, Yo can fire the first barrel, then use the barrel selector to select the other barrel and then pull the trigger to fire the snap cap in the second barrel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement