Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Miroku

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hi all
    Some practical questions on cleaning and storage
    Is WD40 good for cleaning the bores as its less aggressive than some solvents
    Do you store the gun dis assembled in the safe
    If assembled is it best to store it barrel down
    Any thoughts from you experienced chaps :)

I wouldn't use WD40 as it's not a lubricant and attracts dust. Better to get a dedicated firearms cleaner. I like the CLP (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects) types such as Breakfree CLP, MPro7 or Brunox.

Important not to touch the metal parts of the gun after cleaning as the acid in your fingers can cause a rust mark - hold with a cloth when putting away.

Use a smear of decent grease on the hinge pins.

After use I run a bore snake through the barrels and wipe over with a mildly oily rag as I put the gun in the case. I usually do a full clean later and definitely before storing for a period.

The reason for storing barrel down is to stop excess oil seeping into the woodwork. Don't leave excess oil on the gun!

Lastly, it's probably better to store the gun in its case as safes have a nasty habit of hitting nice wooden stocks and marking them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Thats OK snippy :)
    Miroku come in a cardboard box so looks like assembled then:):)

Oh and any thoughts on snap caps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Oh and any thoughts on snap caps

Store it assembled, and load with snap caps and fire both barrels before you put it away. I don’t know of the top of my head if a Miroku or Browning needs recoil before you can fire the second barrel but if it does give the back of the stock a slap while you hold the gun.

As for storing a gun pointing downwards make sure that there’s nothing on the bottom of your safe that retains moisture because that’s guaranteed corrosion.

Thats OK snippy :)
    Miroku come in a cardboard box so looks like assembled then:):)

You can get aftermarket cases ranging from plastic ones with eggbox foam through aluminium with cut out foam to nice ones like this:https://fineshootingaccessories.com/product/leather-shotgun-case/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Be sure and post a few pics of this Miroku when you get it .

Will do

Good grief that case costs as much as the gun:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Couple of answers for you Paul:

1) Buy a proper Bore/Barrel cleaner, oil based nitro solvent is good. You need a good bore cleaner to remove gun powder, plastic etc from the bore after EVERY shoot.
    2) Buy a good gun oil, liquid or spray is fine but i have a little zip bag with a soaked oil rag that I wipe the gun down with after cleaning.
    3) Buy a good gun grease, this is very important. After each clean and before you store the gun, put the grease onto all of the moving parts and parts where metal rubs metal, like the hing pin, ejectors etc.
    4) Optional to buy a walnut oil for treating the stock and fore-end. I use this when the wood gets wet.
    5) Dont forget to clean the chokes and use a good choke grease when inserting them back into your barrels. You will be fine with 1/4 and 1/2 for 99% of all clay shoots.
    6) Buy a barrel cleaning kit, with sticks etc. You need to run these through your barrels with the barrel cleaner, and then push kitchen roll through after to remove the gunk.
    7) Store the gun assembled when cleaned in the gun safe with the recoil pad on the ground.
    8) Snap caps are optional on today firearms, (i use them) but DONT buy the plastic crappy ones. Leave them in the gun when it is stored away.
    9) Buy a decent Skeet Vest.
    10) Buy a gun slip for transportation and make sure you have a trigger guard on the gun at all times when it is not in use. You will also need a lockable box separate to the gun for your cartridges. (ONLY during transportation of cartridges)

You have been given the trust to own and use a firearm, best to do things right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I don’t know of the top of my head if a Miroku or Browning needs recoil before you can fire the second barrel but if it does give the back of the stock a slap while you hold the gun.

Alternatively, Yo can fire the first barrel, then use the barrel selector to select the other barrel and then pull the trigger to fire the snap cap in the second barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Store it assembled, and load with snap caps and fire both barrels before you put it away. I don’t know of the top of my head if a Miroku or Browning needs recoil before you can fire the second barrel but if it does give the back of the stock a slap while you hold the gun.

As for storing a gun pointing downwards make sure that there’s nothing on the bottom of your safe that retains moisture because that’s guaranteed corrosion.

The MK38 is an Inertia driven action. Paul, give the recoil pad a good slap when you fire your first barrel to move the selector over to the next barrel before firing again. Make sure both barrels are fired before long periods of storage.

Thanks all
    Good advice as ever :)

Well all
    I have (I hope) everything in place
    Just waiting for Gun serial No so I can submit the form:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Thanks for that
    Interesting video

Well there is a hicup
    I paid deposit for gun on the 16th and should have taken a week to get the serial no for the FCA as gun is being imported
    Still no sign of it yet and dealer is not being very communicative:(

Well there is a hicup
    I paid deposit for gun on the 16th and should have taken a week to get the serial no for the FCA as gun is being imported

There should be no problem getting a serial number. Once the dealer gives a purchase order to the supplier (that actually has one in stock) a serial number should be given - it can be done over the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Well there is a hicup

Have you a receipt for your deposit ?

I sure do tudderone:)

A wait of a month for a serial number is ridiculous!

As I said, the serial number should be available to the dealer from the distributer immediately. It's possible the distributer didn't actually have one in stock when the dealer ordered it. If that's the case you could have a long wait as due to the Chinese Coronavirus supply lined are hugely impacted!

• Advertisement

Wonderful-Ah well I didn't want to take up shooting anyway:(

Yes indeed
    That seems to be the reason
    RFD is working on it

Yes indeed
    That seems to be the reason
    RFD is working on it

If the dealer is casting his net to find one for you, which will include other dealers, it might be worth reminding him that you would prefer a left hand model.
    There might be one out there!

Good point

Well guys there is light at the end of the tunnel
    RFD will have paperwork for me soon:)

All paperwork done---At last:)

Update.
    Got a call a week after putting application in to check a couple of things and all OK
    Got a letter yesterday that was posted on the 31st
    Letter dated 16/08 says it is being considered and I will hear by 16/11 :(

Update to the update.
    Would you believe it the grant notice just arrived in the post
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Same thing I think happened when I applied for shotgun,got confirmation of application and following day grant letter in the post.Good luck with gun.

• Advertisement

Just need to get a jacket,ear defenders,eye protection and massage my replacement hip
    I feel an Olympic medal coming on:)

Advertisement