Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some communities don't deserve expensive artworks that they'll wreck anyway. Investing money to keep them out of the prison system is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If somebody gets caught doing stuff like this they should be made clean up graffiti, etc citywide whilst wearing a sandwich board indentifying them as filth.

Exactly it is wasting DCC's money

https://www.thejournal.ie/graffiti-cleanup-cost-e1-2-million-2157625-Jun2015/

Mostly they only end up getting community service:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EDgLDp94-xwJ:https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/91884/Limerick--tagger--given-community.html+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Personally I think the stocks and pillory stocks should be brought back

YMRFwee.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

That approach assumes that there is still shame in being associated with criminality; as opposed to social cachet.

You'll just end up with lads throwing shapes at the dole queue in stocks they bought online :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭mcgragger

clsmooth wrote: »
    Don’t be a fecking eejit and show some respect before you make allegations of that sort. Gobsh1te.

Have to agree with that. Luke Kelly is one of my musical idols and I would be horrified at that thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's the most appalling looking statue I've ever seen, Hideous would be too kind a word. It astonishes me his family actually approved of this monstrosity. Whilst I doubt the thugs responsible for it being vandalised know anything about taste, there's no excuse for this carry on. I wish Dublin CC would just please lock it away we're it will never be seen again, perhaps we're they are storing the electronic voting machines

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's the most appalling looking statue I've ever seen, Hideous would be too kind a word. It astonishes me his family actually approved of this monstrosity. Whilst I doubt the thugs responsible for it being vandalised know anything about taste, there's no excuse for this carry on. I wish Dublin CC would just please lock it away we're it will never be seen again, perhaps we're they are storing the electronic voting machines

I have to agree, I think it's the worst statue of anyone I've ever seen anywhere. An eyesore.

The Terry Wogan statue in Limerick would like a word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I actually think its pretty cool. Unique. its not like the rest of the area is easy on the eye anyway. I think eyesore only applies when the rest of the area isnt already an awful sh1thole.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Have a bit of cop on and don't be posting up accusations without proof. Posts deleted and warning issued. Any further comments along these lines will result in higher sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I actually think its pretty cool. Unique. its not like the rest of the area is easy on the eye anyway. I think eyesore only applies when the rest of the area isnt already an awful sh1thole.

Placing a Turd in a toilet doesn't make it any prettier

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

That’s some comment without any evidence
    It's just a speculation. The fact that so many people seem to jump to his defence at a simple musing would suggest that Luke's reputation is fine.

Typically when you see specific statues being continually defaced, it's because there's some kind of grudge or point being made. The Sean Russell statue beng one example - he was a Nazi collaborator so people vandalise the statue.

Thus, the Luke Kelly statue being a constant target does raise the question of whether this is someone with a grudge. And the kind of grudges that tend to rear their head after someone has died are sex offences. There's no need to get offended on behalf of a dead man. It's just a question, not an accusation.

That said, some of the stuff I've heard of happening around there suggests that it's probably one or more people off their heads and angry with the world, taking it out on something. There was a fire in a local primary school in the last couple of years. Car driven into the front door and then set alight. You'd think it was kids attacking the school. Nope, some guy in his 30s off his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Your overthinking this. Some scrotes get an idea in their tiny minds and it becomes a thing for them, when bored, when the opportunity arises they do it again.

seamus wrote: »
    That said, some of the stuff I've heard of happening around there suggests that it's probably one or more people off their heads and angry with the world, taking it out on something. There was a fire in a local primary school in the last couple of years. Car driven into the front door and then set alight. You'd think it was kids attacking the school. Nope, some guy in his 30s off his face.

I've spent a lot of time in that area, and they're just a different breed, always have been. They're also being given a lot of the lovely apartments in the IFSC and other parts of the docklands as the Sheriff St population grows.

Your overthinking this. Some scrotes get an idea in their tiny minds and it becomes a thing for them, when bored, when the opportunity arises they do it again.

Also the more attention it gets the more tempting it is. The lads can boast about it by pointing to the coverage their actions get in national media; bring it up in the hotbox for a laugh and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭mcgragger

I wonder is it the same people the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

30764-posts.article_md.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Looks more like Niall Quinn than it does Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Or maybe even this chap from Art Attack

art-attack-e1488974541296.jpg

Ronaldo Statue

I actually thought of that one but it's nowhere near as terrible as poor Luke's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I actually thought of that one but it's nowhere near as terrible as poor Luke's

At least he has another statue. A lovely looking one next to Stephens green shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I secretly enjoy it every time they vandalise the Luke Kelly statue. It's a running thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I cant believe it, its been vandalised again.(Sherrif Street one) 6th time now.

I thought the Garda arrested a local man in his 40's from the area for criminal damage recently.

The statute in Sherriff street has had some paint thrown over it.

I see the other statute over the Southside had white paint thrown over it?? Crazy sh1t.....

DCC must put both statues in a museum now for safety reasons. This is non stop vandalism.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0624/1149302-luke-kelly-statue/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

o1s1n wrote: »
    With the IQ levels involved, I wouldn't be surprised if the perpetrators mistook him for a slave trader.

Scorn not their simplicity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Its so ugly thats why its being vandalised a plaque would have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Theyver cleaned the sherriff st one already.
    A nice new target for the scrotes tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I thought D.C.C. were going to upgrade security of the statute on Sherrifer by CCTV and lighting at night time.

I will be driving by it tomorrow morning, will have a look see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

seamus wrote: »
    Thus, the Luke Kelly statue being a constant target does raise the question of whether this is someone with a grudge. And the kind of grudges that tend to rear their head after someone has died are sex offences. There's no need to get offended on behalf of a dead man. It's just a question, not an accusation.

I’m not offended, just bemused as to how a post can contain so much bollox. My bollox-meter is about to explode

Talk about 1+1=5

And it’s not a question, nor an accusation, it’s insinuation (with some bollox thrown on top for good measure)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Some communities don't deserve expensive artworks that they'll wreck anyway. Investing money to keep them out of the prison system is enough.

Oh but these people are disadvantaged, they don't have schools, health services, public housing, we must do more for these people, some people will say.

:mad:

If ever an area could be described as having too much local authority housing and too many social problems it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but why Luke why Luke Kelly did he do something bad? did he badmouth someone something that some people may hold a grudge??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fryup wrote: »
    but why Luke why Luke Kelly did he do something bad? did he badmouth someone something that some people may hold a grudge??

I've seen it a few times in this thread where aspersions are being cast on the man because his statue has been attacked repeatedly. The simple fact is, the main big head is in a kip of a location. Do not underestimate the amount of dregs in the area who are getting a good kick out of it each time its on the news.